Silversea vs Seabourn

babydrum

On 2/20/2024 at 2:34 AM, tv24 said:

I also note that we have been victimized by a Silversea last-minute cancellation due to a corporate charter.  I try to ignore that bad experience.

On 2/20/2024 at 4:48 AM, fudge said:

The same happened to us last year, we vowed never to sail with SS ever again!

@fudge:  You may be vowing off Seabourn, since they are now chartering their ships to APT on a big-time basis:

https://cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/2024/02/apt-to-charter-seabourn-expedition-ships/

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

@fudge:  You may be vowing off Seabourn, since they are now chartering their ships to APT on a big-time basis:

https://cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/2024/02/apt-to-charter-seabourn-expedition-ships/

Some expedition voyages for the time being (2025) and possibly Antarctica in 2026..not sure how big time that is for now.  When I first read this article yesterday, I found it a bit misleading.

nancy

Edited by nancygp
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, nancygp said:

Some expedition voyages for the time being (2025) and possibly Antarctica in 2026..not sure how big time that is for now.  When I first read this article yesterday, I found it a bit misleading.

nancy

True, but there have been so many rumors about Carnival planning to dump Seabourn.  They will either have to pour big bucks into the line to keep up with Silversea, or ... cut it loose?

4 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

True, but there have been so many rumors about Carnival planning to dump Seabourn.  They will either have to pour big bucks into the line to keep up with Silversea, or ... cut it loose?

Whatever…time will tell 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 2/21/2024 at 8:37 AM, southerngoose said:

@bitob Curious what you have the butler do?   I've never had one so I'm still trying to understand this butler thing.  I'm not going to have them pack/unpack.   I do want them to refill my fridge.  🙂. But beyond that and room service, I'm not sure what they do.  

I have been asked this question many times.  We really do use the butler -- but not to make dinner reservations or unpack.  First, unlike a stateroom attendant, a butler is available 24/7.  If we need something --something for the suite, a special snack, changes to dining reservations or a tour, an issue resolved, extra fruit whatever -- we get an immediate response.  The queue for room service on Seabourn can be quite long.  There is no waiting when you have a butler.  We love course by course in suite dining on some nights.  Second, a proactive butler is a godsend.  I have posted the story how when I left the ship and my husband (who has some mobility issues) stayed behind, the butler was concerned about whether my husband would go for lunch without me -- a brought him lunch without being asked.  Wow.  There have been many special things butlers have done for us over the years -- too many to list. The butler really enhances our cruise experience. The only time we book a cabin without a butler is on Seabourn.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Other than the initial meet and greet and supply of a bottle or two,we have only once ever been proactive with a butler, and that was for a very early breakfast for an excursion at stupid-o'clock🙂

I always tell them we are extremely low maintenance and in the unlikely event of needing them we will call. 

I actually found the first one too intrusive so adopted this policy.

I have only sailed SS but am considering a Japan cruise for next year.  Just my observation on this particular part of the world but the Seabourn itineraries are far superior to SS.  Now, I have been to Japan multiple times so I have interest in drilling down beyond the big attractions so the Seabourn itineraries are appealing.  They go to smaller ports, have an overnight in Hiroshima and what I really like is fewer sea days which results in more port days.  Perhaps others can comment on the comparison of itineraries in other regions.

16 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

For me, the chartering by Silversea was not the issue.  I know that cruise lines do that frequently.  The issue was that the chartering was done almost at the last minute, just a few weeks before departure.  We were booked on a crossing and had a schedule of reservations in Europe that could not be easily changed.  Silversea offered no alternative to the cancelled crossing/cruise, so we had to scramble to find another way to get to Europe.  Not a pleasant experience.  But not the end of the world.

2 hours ago, Gourmet Gal said:

I have only sailed SS but am considering a Japan cruise for next year.  Just my observation on this particular part of the world but the Seabourn itineraries are far superior to SS.  Now, I have been to Japan multiple times so I have interest in drilling down beyond the big attractions so the Seabourn itineraries are appealing.  They go to smaller ports, have an overnight in Hiroshima and what I really like is fewer sea days which results in more port days.  Perhaps others can comment on the comparison of itineraries in other regions.

I have found the same with Seabourn  NZ/ Australian  itineraries too. They do several cruises each year and have different itineraries for each cruise, something I haven’t seen as much on Silversea or Regent. 

20 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

As this thread/discussion is showing, not much keeping up to be done.  Seems like they are very competitive from most of the comments here, and old “rumors” around what CCL might do with Seabourn are similar to the “rumors” of RCL cutting costs at Silversea.  Both lines seem healthy and competitive, despite what “rumors” you might believe.  If you’ve got more than rumors please share!

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, johng75370 said:

As this thread/discussion is showing, not much keeping up to be done.  Seems like they are very competitive from most of the comments here, and old “rumors” around what CCL might do with Seabourn are similar to the “rumors” of RCL cutting costs at Silversea.  Both lines seem healthy and competitive, despite what “rumors” you might believe.  If you’ve got more than rumors please share!

Well stated

nancy

6 hours ago, sanne said:

I have found the same with Seabourn  NZ/ Australian  itineraries too. They do several cruises each year and have different itineraries for each cruise, something I haven’t seen as much on Silversea or Regent. 

Seabourn has the most unusual itineraries. Much more interesting than the other luxury lines 

Seabourn is cheaper per day in general. Of course the packages have many variables such as what’s included for the money eg are tours included. But these ongoing discount emails Seabourn pumps out just about every other week makes me wonder about how they can cut cut cut prices and hope to deliver on the quality front.

IMO it’s probably best to keep your preferences vital with updated facts and book accordingly. I am not sure that it’s wise to exclude another line for your future cruises. I remember when that wasn’t so much the case when people boasted “we’re xxxx people”. Seems silly now.

Happy and healthy sailing!

40 minutes ago, bitob said:

Seabourn has the most unusual itineraries. Much more interesting than the other luxury lines 

Can you give some examples please? We are looking mostly to Europe and South America.

8 hours ago, ak1004 said:

Can you give some examples please? We are looking mostly to Europe and South America.

Yes. Last year we cruised the turquoise  coast of Turkey and Greece // tiny islands -/ cesme. Simi. Kas. Stops at Antalya Bodrum they do this cruise every year. Usually April. Before the crowds. Sensational

we are doing a similar seabourn in 2025. Treasures of Adriatic and Mediterranean. Seabourn goes to ports no one else goes to. Just browse through the itineraries and you will see

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, bitob said:

Yes. Last year we cruised the turquoise  coast of Turkey and Greece // tiny islands -/ cesme. Simi. Kas. Stops at Antalya Bodrum they do this cruise every year. Usually April. Before the crowds. Sensational

we are doing a similar seabourn in 2025. Treasures of Adriatic and Mediterranean. Seabourn goes to ports no one else goes to. Just browse through the itineraries and you will see

Thanks, found it!

One thing I noticed is that SS typically has more late night stays. For example, on our upcoming 10 nights cruise in May (Venice-Rome) there are 4 late night stays (10-11pm) and one overnight. And this is pretty typical for SS. For similar itineraries with SB, there is maybe 1-2 late night stays on most sailings that I checked, sometimes none. Most ports depart at 5-6pm.  

5 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

Thanks, found it!

One thing I noticed is that SS typically has more late night stays. For example, on our upcoming 10 nights cruise in May (Venice-Rome) there are 4 late night stays (10-11pm) and one overnight. And this is pretty typical for SS. For similar itineraries with SB, there is maybe 1-2 late night stays on most sailings that I checked, sometimes none. Most ports depart at 5-6pm.  

Yes.  NO cruise line has better itineraries.  Lots of small out of the way places.  Alas, no butlers.  LOL

8 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

Thanks, found it!

I like late night stays in interesting ports but then I’ll take more ports over more late nights.  The more I look at SB itineraries the more I like.  

25 minutes ago, bitob said:

Yes.  NO cruise line has better itineraries.  Lots of small out of the way places.  Alas, no butlers.  LOL

I don't care much about butlers, but it's nice to have longer stays. Doesn't seem that SB has many long stays beyond 5-6pm.

22 minutes ago, Gourmet Gal said:

I like late night stays in interesting ports but then I’ll take more ports over more late nights.  The more I look at SB itineraries the more I like.  

Agree. But from what I see, SS has more late nights stays AND also more ports. On a typical 10 nights itinerary, SS rarely has more than 1 sea day, while SB most itineraries have 2 sea days.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, bitob said:

If only we could find the perfect cruise line 😁

Haha.. that's for sure. I just wanted to confirm that my observation is correct. 

1 hour ago, bitob said:

Doesn’t Seabourn have the equivalent of a butler and room attendants?  I think the butler just has a different title?  

Also, at interior space of 295 sq. ft. aren’t the basic cabins the same size as SS?