Silversea vs Seabourn

babydrum

1 hour ago, saminina said:

The lady serving drinks in Avenue Saloon told me.

May I have the contact info of this lady? I want to book my Crystal cruise with her and get a deep discount.

• Haha 4

On 2/25/2024 at 7:50 PM, ak1004 said:

If I can book SB for $400-500, I just cannot justify paying $600-700 for Crystal. Crystal fans will claim otherwise of course, but to me it's all about itinerary and price. 

I think that is the A & K influence. I did a tour with them to Antarctica years ago and their on-board naturalists were a step above average but the rest of the trip was excellent but similar to other high end companies.

On a trip to the Galápagos Islands we had an A & K tour group on board our ship and they paid about $2,000 more per person than we did for identical service and tour guides.  Not good value in my opinion.

5 hours ago, Texas Tillie said:

Excuse me, I'd consider myself a long time Crystal customer, since 2007, with close to 50 cruises, have done 2 cruises with the new Crystal and have 2 more booked, and NONE are at a deep discount. I have paid whatever the  posted fare was for the category I booked at the time I booked. Don't believe I'm the only one missing out based on the people I know. You are right that the money behind the relaunched Crystal is Manfredi. He got a BIG payout selling Silversea to Royal Caribbean.

And what do all these pro-Crystal posts have to do with a thread entitled Silversea vs Seabourn on the Silversea board?

• Haha 3

7 minutes ago, Tothesunset said:

And what do all these pro-Crystal posts have to do with a thread entitled Silversea vs Seabourn on the Silversea board?

See all the posts above to my same question, just following along...........😄🤪🙃

3 hours ago, Woofbite said:

I think that is the A & K influence. I did a tour with them to Antarctica years ago and their on-board naturalists were a step above average but the rest of the trip was excellent but similar to other high end companies.

On a trip to the Galápagos Islands we had an A & K tour group on board our ship and they paid about $2,000 more per person than we did for identical service and tour guides.  Not good value in my opinion.

But Crystal excursions are not managed by A & K. I believe in most ports all cruise lines use the same operators. 

So what exactly am I paying for? To cover Manfredi's hundreds of millions investment in Crystal refurbishment (which some describe as putting a lipstick on a pig compared to SS new ships)? 

1 hour ago, ak1004 said:

But Crystal excursions are not managed by A & K. I believe in most ports all cruise lines use the same operators. 

So what exactly am I paying for? To cover Manfredi's hundreds of millions investment in Crystal refurbishment (which some describe as putting a lipstick on a pig compared to SS new ships)? 

But someone has to pay for the lipstick!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, commodoredave said:

But someone has to pay for the lipstick!

Sure! But not me! There are more than enough Crystal fans who will pay almost any price.

31 minutes ago, commodoredave said:

As a previous Crystal passenger, I was offered open booking discounts before itineraries were released. Maybe this is what is being referred to.

Same here but it was a very minimal amount 

nancy

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

Sure! But not me! There are more than enough Crystal fans who will pay almost any price.

Yes, that is true. But if you go on the Crystal forum you will discover that the lip stick is the best in the world despite it being overpriced and coming in an inferior container.

• Haha 4

Folks,

I agree with those who say they base cruise booking decisions on itinerary first, and then other minor details like creature comforts.  That said, I ain't going on any 6000 pax hulks, thank you very much.  Incidentally, I'm very seriously looking at a Crystal cruise in N Europe (Baltics) next year.  No one else has an itinerary that is close to this one, and I looked at them all.  Also, I have this crazy idea that Mr Manfredi bought these two ships, poured $150M into them, and is essentially going to re-do the Silversea niche.  I may be wrong, but I think there might actually be a real value opportunity in early years where he gets these two ships, stabilizes things, fills them with pax, makes them happy, then get funding to build new ships.  Who knows, but chances are good I will at least tie up a cabin on C Serenity for a 15 day trip next summer (2025).  My wife and I took a 4 year hiatus due to covid, and are doing one cruise this summer on SS - slowly stepping back into the pond.  

Regarding SS vs Seabourn, we've done 4 SS cruises, and last cruise was Seabourn, Venice to Athens, 3 weeks, on Odyssey (2019).  I got covid in N Italy, BTW, although they didn't know that was what it was at the time.  Coughed until I passed out, cracked chin open on floor - bad stuff.  But - re: comparing cruise lines - food was generally comparable, really, maybe SS a little better.  What really sticks with me, however, is - while on SS, everything was clean, tidy, "shipshape".  Every morning I get up early and walk 2 - 3 miles on deck.  On SS, I had to hide my water bottle, because staff that goes out to police the public areas in early morning would find my bottle and take it away.  This never happened on Seabourn.  Also, on Seabourn, my walking route passed in front of the bar on deck above the pool.  There was a low area on deck with water puddling there.  As I was doing 20 - 30 laps, I put a towel down in the puddle, so my shoes wouldn't get wet. (At my early hour, I'm only person out there.)  While I'm doing my laps several Seabourn employees come out, make sure deck chairs are in order, wipe stuff down, walk over my sodden towel in the wet area.  But then a guy wearing dress whites (an officer of some sort), comes out, makes the rounds (presumably to make sure everything is in order), and has to step ON my soggy towel in the wet area by bar.  Does nothing; when I'm done walking, I pick up the towel and put in dirty towel container.  This spoke volumes to me.  On SS, the standard of cleanliness was almost too much - you can't leave something for 2 minutes without it getting picked up.  On Seabourn, the officer type walks around and steps on a soggy towel on the deck and ignores it.  Sheesh!  I'm sure Seabourn does lots of good things, but this really struck me as indicative of - something!  Granted, early morning before sun is up, is like the curtains haven't been opened on the stage yet.  But I felt it showed a very different mind set about setting the stage for a top flight deluxe passenger experience.  And of course, with my opinion and $5 you can get a latte.  

• Like 6

On 2/24/2024 at 4:20 PM, Gourmet Gal said:

Well, on my last 2 SS cruises our butlers were just glorified room attendants.  They seemed so clueless and we even wondered if our last butler on the Moon was medicated he seemed so out of it.

This was absolutely not my experience on my SS cruises including my last cruise a few weeks ago. The butler was there to attend to specific requests and handled them well. 

On 2/24/2024 at 11:30 PM, saminina said:

IME, SS standards have been slipping since 2006.  I remember meeting a couple Brits in 2002 that told me standards had dropped so much that they will not return.   The new ships have breathed life into a line that we had lost interest in booking.  It's a fresh product, but hardly luxury. 

If I cared at all about food, SS and SB would not make the cut.   A potential problem with Seabourn is that you have two interior bars.  A band of transient players on deck 5 reading lyrics and notes from computer screen and hopefully someone that knows how to play the piano in the observation bar.  Normally passable, but when it is not it can be too painful to tolerate.

So many good crew have found their way to the new options that compete for this market segment.

It's time for passengers to think beyond.

What pray tell are they new options of which you speak?

• 1 month later...
On 2/22/2024 at 12:37 AM, southerngoose said:

@bitob Curious what you have the butler do?   I've never had one so I'm still trying to understand this butler thing.  I'm not going to have them pack/unpack.   I do want them to refill my fridge.  🙂. But beyond that and room service, I'm not sure what they do.  

They do lots of things. For instance, our butler just arranged a last minute cocktail party in our suite for 5 friends plus us. He brought drinks, beautiful and extensive canapé selection and “atmosphere “ in the form of electric candles. He also took my broken shoe to the workshop to be repaired. He found a particular bottle of wine for me to have in our suite. He changed dinner reservations for us last minute. I could probably have arranged some of these things myself but with considerably more effort.

• Like 1

On 2/25/2024 at 1:30 PM, saminina said:

IME, SS standards have been slipping since 2006.  I remember meeting a couple Brits in 2002 that told me standards had dropped so much that they will not return.   The new ships have breathed life into a line that we had lost interest in booking.  It's a fresh product, but hardly luxury. 

If I cared at all about food, SS and SB would not make the cut.   A potential problem with Seabourn is that you have two interior bars.  A band of transient players on deck 5 reading lyrics and notes from computer screen and hopefully someone that knows how to play the piano in the observation bar.  Normally passable, but when it is not it can be too painful to tolerate.

So many good crew have found their way to the new options that compete for this market segment.

It's time for passengers to think beyond.

So, which line is better for food?

My opinion today......Explora and Crystal.  Have not been either Europa ship post Covid, but if they are what they were.....dependable quality with neat surprises along the way.

10 hours ago, Marstan79 said:

@bitob Curious what you have the butler do?   I've never had one so I'm still trying to understand this butler thing.  I'm not going to have them pack/unpack.   I do want them to refill my fridge.  🙂. But beyond that and room service, I'm not sure what they do.  

I agree with you. Last SS we had a meet and greet with the  butler, and after pointing out ... quite nicely that I had more sea time than him,  I suggested he went and looked after Mr & Mrs Demanding and I would seek him out if I needed him🙂  He indicated his understanding....with big grin.

The one before that was 'intrusive' ...opening drawers to find and clean specs etc. We had to have words🙂

I have only used the butler once .. a very early breakfast for a stupid-o'clock excursion😒

I agree 100%. We’ve hosted numerous cocktail parties in our suite, and always preferred discussing the menu, etc. directly with room service versus our butler. Same with dinner reservations, special meals, excursions, and laundry, as we’ve had too many unsatisfactory outcomes when relying on our butler. While there’s no guarantee of a positive outcome even when dealing directly with room service, excursion desk, laundry, etc., at least you eliminate one more chance for miscommunication.

On 2/28/2024 at 1:17 PM, ak1004 said:

Have you been on the new Crystal? I tried all of the competition in the last few years but Crystal is way better than the rest. The only one that comes close is Regent which I continue to sail on due to itineraries. 

• Like 1

Out of curiosity, I have just compared offers from probably the best known luxury TA in the UK, which have just arrived in the post, and  the difference in cost is quite illuminating.  Very similar Mediterranean cruises, this summer, cost approx. £540  per night on Seabourn Ovation, and almost £700 on Silver Ray, both including flights and transfers.  SS of course includes butler service and some excursions, and is a much newer ship.  Passenger space ratio almost the same, and both for veranda suites.   SB is western Med., SS eastern Med., so perhaps more interesting for many people.  But if price is important, worth thinking about?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, lincslady said:

Out of curiosity, I have just compared offers from probably the best known luxury TA in the UK, which have just arrived in the post, and  the difference in cost is quite illuminating.  Very similar Mediterranean cruises, this summer, cost approx. £540  per night on Seabourn Ovation, and almost £700 on Silver Ray, both including flights and transfers.  SS of course includes butler service and some excursions, and is a much newer ship.  Passenger space ratio almost the same, and both for veranda suites.   SB is western Med., SS eastern Med., so perhaps more interesting for many people.  But if price is important, worth thinking about?

But how does the comparison work if you are a solo?

If I see a  Seabourn cruise that interests me, I look at the solo pricing and turn away fast.

4 hours ago, Emdee said:

Have you been on the new Crystal? I tried all of the competition in the last few years but Crystal is way better than the rest. The only one that comes close is Regent which I continue to sail on due to itineraries. 

We were on the old Crystal. From what I read, the new Crystal is similar. We enjoyed the OC very much, but I find the current pricing of the NC not competitive at all. The ships are still over 25 years old, and the cabins are still small. Not a big factor for us if the price was competitive, but paying 20-25% more for a 210 sqft cabin on a 25 years old ship is just not my definition of value.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1