Opinions on TA ….(Barcelona to Miami )

Your thoughts/suggestions:

Looking for opinions as we’re about to book our first TA cruise…. Barcelona to Miami on Explorer ( Barcelona, Malaga, Valencia, Azores, Miami)

This Atlantic route vs more northern route in November?

Good ports?

Enjoyable sea days?  ( not boring…plenty to do?)

Convenient accommodations in Barcelona pre-cruise?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

You're going to love a WB Fall TA and Explorer is a great ship to be on.  We did the Wonder of the Seas TA in 2022 out of Barcelona to Port Canaveral doing the Atlantic route and it was fine in November for us.  Barcelona, Malaga and Valencia were fantastic and there is plenty to do (or not do!) onboard the ship during the sea days.  We stayed in Hotel Jazz pre-cruise for 3 days and found the location to be very nice and close to everything.

If you're interested, I have a playlist with my videos from the Wonder TA showing some excursions we did (everything we did was on our own).  If you can possibly fly into Barcelona several days early I highly recommend it.  Don't miss La Sagrada Familia!!!  I also included a video on the ocean conditions during the cruise to give you an idea as to what to expect.  Here's the link to my playlist:  Wonder of the Seas WB TA 2022

I didn't see any Explorer WB TA cruise compasses on Issuu, but I do have ours from the Wonder TA that should give you a pretty good idea as to what to expect during the sea days:  Wonder of the Seas WB TA cruise compasses

I hope this helps!  Have a wonderful cruise!

7 hours ago, roupa said:

Looking for opinions as we’re about to book our first TA cruise…. Barcelona to Miami on Explorer ( Barcelona, Malaga, Valencia, Azores, Miami)

Good ports?

Get a TA!

7 hours ago, roupa said:

Good ports?

I always book my cruises myself and usually advocate others do the same. However, based on all your questions I think you would benefit from using a travel agent. 

Did this TA in Oct 2022. It was meant to be a trip of a lifetime, and it was. We had five nights at the Hotel Nouvel, a renovated art-nouveau mansion on a pedestrian street. 

Doing your homework before makes a huge difference. For example, 1 pm is the vermouth hour.

A guided tour of the Gothic district will give you an understanding of Barcelona's history and charming customs. The Catalan people know who they are. So different from how our culture is in the USA.  

Don't try to do too much. There are many rooftop restaurants. 

Shopping was wonderful, definitely bring an extra bag!

Consider an excursion in Valencia to see how Paella is prepared and enjoyed.

Having a suite is a worthwhile enhancement, if you can. 

There will be things to do on the ship. A ship tour was a highlight. Chef's table was lame. The musicians were exceptional, one of the aspects I enjoyed the most. 

A TA is a rare and fleeting opportunity to disconnect from everything and just "be." 

• Like 3

We have done 3 TA'S on Oasis class Barcelona to Miami and all were fantastic. Calm seas and T Shirts and shorts after leaving the Med.  We have also done several on Voyager and Freedom class, much, much more to do on a larger ship but Voyager would still be a great cruise. 

• Like 1

Azores is the one port that made me want to go there for a few weeks. Frequently it is missed due to weather though. 

I find it very entertaining when people ask if there enough on these massive ships to do to not be bored. I did my first TA on a ship much smaller and never felt bored. Bring a book, pack a portable hobby, enjoy the quiet days at sea. That’s what makes a TA so special. The cruise direct and their team works very hard to constantly hold a range of events on sea days.

Barcelona is a really cool city as well. I wish I had had more time to spend there but for me it was just another port stop.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SoloAlaska said:

I find it very entertaining when people ask if there enough on these massive ships to do to not be bored. I did my first TA on a ship much smaller and never felt bored.

I did a 10 night non-stop TA on Azamara Journey (30,277 GT).  It was probably one of my [top 5] favorite cruises.

We're booked on Voyager Barcelona to PC in November,  which has 7 ports and 6 sea days.   Many more ports than we usually have.  Love. TAs. Always something to do or can do nothing but relax with a book or needlepoint project.  They have speakers or other things during the day.  Enjoy.