Car parking

Vampiress88

For very long stay there is Southampton parking at £1day  not central.

Hotel/park can be a good option loads of options from central or a bit further out packages often include taxis

We also use the parking space brokers that sell parking spaces for others, often find hotel carparks.

No need to pay more than £6 day at West quay multi story.

Or council.

https://www.southampton.gov.uk/travel-transport/find-and-plan/find-parking/cruise-parking/

There is only so much the convenience of port parking is worth, when you can get hotel park and the taxis for similar money that's what we go for.

Saving 20mins after the cruise to be on my way quickly is not worth as much as CPS charge.

• Like 1

Always use Holiday Inn and drive up day before. Room and breakfast, parking for 15 nights and taxi to and from ship. Obviously varies due to time of year, but can work out cheaper than parking only - and you get an extra night's holiday. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Selbourne said:

CPS are not always ‘faff free’. We have had a few occasions, including our current cruise, where we had to wait an age in holding lanes before we could be checked in. I’m sure that P4C would have been far quicker in those instances. Thats why we book the cheapest of the two for each cruise. 

Not always faff free when we returned from our last cruise we used CPS and when we arrived at the shed for keys at Ocean there was a couple with an official with the back end of there car all smashed in. So even with CPS can go wrong and are not perfect.

1 hour ago, Fionboard said:

Always use Holiday Inn and drive up day before. Room and breakfast, parking for 15 nights and taxi to and from ship. Obviously varies due to time of year, but can work out cheaper than parking only - and you get an extra night's holiday. 

We have stayed at Holiday Inn numerous times and found it very reasonably priced.  It is very convenient for a stroll into the town for a bit of pre-cruise shopping and plenty of restaurants within walking distance for an evening meal if you don't want to eat in the hotel restaurant.  It can be quite busy if there are a lot of ships in the next day.  We have parked our car there a few times but prefer to park at the docks because we like to self disembark to make a quick getaway on the last morning of the cruise.

Just now, majortom10 said:

Not always faff free when we returned from our last cruise we used CPS and when we arrived at the shed for keys at Ocean there was a couple with an official with the back end of there car all smashed in. So even with CPS can go wrong and are not perfect.

Nothing to that scale, but I’ve had damage to two different cars when parked with CPS. The first time (dent in door) I noticed before we drove away, so they paid for the repair. Last year I incurred a nasty scratch on the bonnet which unfortunately I didn’t notice until we got home, by which time it was too late to hold them accountable. 

3 minutes ago, smilesonfaces said:

West Quay shopping mall, £6 per 24 hours. Drop cases at ship first, go to park and walk back to the ship. Taxi back to the car park on return  £8. 

That is an option but not one that I would consider.

There is no way that I would leave my car in a public car park for any length of time whilst I was out of the country. I would much prefer to spend an additional £100, or so, for peace of mind - after all I will have spent several thousand pounds on both the car and the cruise.

I also have the images of multi story car park fires in Luton and Liverpool in my mind and would rather not come back from a cruise to a burnt out car.

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, david63 said:

That is an option but not one that I would consider.

There is no way that I would leave my car in a public car park for any length of time whilst I was out of the country. I would much prefer to spend an additional £100, or so, for peace of mind - after all I will have spent several thousand pounds on both the car and the cruise.

I also have the images of multi story car park fires in Luton and Liverpool in my mind and would rather not come back from a cruise to a burnt out car.

We have used it several times with no problems whatsoever. Not quite sure why you would think your car would get burnt out in a car park in a shopping centre with cctv, number plate recognition and a regular flow of people moving through it. It is as safe as anywhere as long as you take  sensible security precautions. It was certainly safer than Triangle which we used once and was truly awful, a public pay and display car park with no security whatsoever or a random persons drive like some people recommend. West Quay is no different to using a multi storey car park at any airport. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, smilesonfaces said:

West Quay is no different to using a multi storey car park at any airport. 

You appear to have forgotten about the multi story car park at Luton Airport last year.

I have no problem with where anyone parks their car whilst on a cruise it is just that I prefer to have some degree of security for my several thousand pounds of car when I am away and I am willing to pay a little more for that peace of mind.

• Like 4

On 2/22/2024 at 10:54 AM, Fionboard said:

I always book package direct with hotel (Holiday Inn). Used H Extras once and they charged a third more than direct with hotel. Never used them again for anything. 

Sorry to hear that. Maybe you should have another look. I got a good discount compared to direct booking. Also had the benefit of their ‘free cancellation’ policy (I know this is honoured because I’ve had to use it in the past).
Of course, hotels do have special promotions at times, so always worth checking (which you did).

18 hours ago, david63 said:

Do you never park in any sort of car park, let alone a multi-storey car park? Not even to go shopping?

If you do then how do you know that a faulty diesel Landrover won't park next you and spontaneously catch fire and taking your car with it? (A faulty diesel Landrover being the cause of both of those multi-storey fires).

Park in Manchester Airport Multi Storey. If I come back to no car I don't need to worry. My finance gets paid off and I would get a brand new car. Things happen. I got more change of being run over by a car than my car being destroyed.

Edited by carlanthony24

For future reference for anyone who is interested, the Elizabeth House hotel , in The Avenue, offer cruise parking, with no need to stay . Their prices are reasonable for non residents…current price for 2 weeks in June is £180. It’s a 10 minute/ £10 taxi ride to the port terminals. If you stay overnight the night before your cruise ( which we are) the price I have been quoted for 16 nights in August is £152.

On 2/22/2024 at 9:44 PM, smilesonfaces said:

West Quay shopping mall, £6 per 24 hours. Drop cases at ship first, go to park and walk back to the ship. Taxi back to the car park on return  £8. 

Yep this is what we do now.  Done it twice and no problems.  

I park my car in Stansted short stay multi story for a 2 week holiday so im quite comfortable leaving it in West Quay.  

13 hours ago, Mysticalmother said:

For future reference for anyone who is interested, the Elizabeth House hotel , in The Avenue, offer cruise parking, with no need to stay . Their prices are reasonable for non residents…current price for 2 weeks in June is £180. It’s a 10 minute/ £10 taxi ride to the port terminals. If you stay overnight the night before your cruise ( which we are) the price I have been quoted for 16 nights in August is £152.

Car park is a bit small though and very crowded. You have to leave your keys so they can move your car around. I prefer to keep the keys with me. Holiday Inn is the best IMO. 

15 minutes ago, Fionboard said:

Car park is a bit small though and very crowded. You have to leave your keys so they can move your car around. I prefer to keep the keys with me. Holiday Inn is the best IMO. 

I merely posted this as another option. Not sure if you are aware but they have a much larger car park next door at the rear of the building…

Holiday Inn could not guarantee a space when I asked them! Said it was first come first served. Not much help if you turn up and there is no room! 

Edited by Mysticalmother
Added content
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Mysticalmother said:

I merely posted this as another option. Not sure if you are aware but they have a much larger car park next door at the rear of the building…

Holiday Inn could not guarantee a space when I asked them! Said it was first come first served. Not much help if you turn up and there is no room! 

Yes, my car was moved to the guest house next door. Have stayed at Holiday Inn with cruise package over 50 times and never had a problem with parking (except during boat show, of course). Very good value. 

On 2/21/2024 at 6:18 PM, Vampiress88 said:

I did. Cps want £270. 
they charge more in school holidays than in April/March etc. which is so very annoying. 

anyway I have looked at parking4cruises. The price comes in at just under £150 which I am perfectly happy with. 

However I have no clue what it’s like- is it just more of less the same as cps and I can walk to the boat when the car has been dropped off?

I once used P4C as my go to for parking. Never again after mine and others recent experiences 😡

48 minutes ago, devonuk said:

I once used P4C as my go to for parking. Never again after mine and others recent experiences 😡

I have used them for almost 10 yrs, and only had minor incident when I received a parking fine for Mayflower. But that was promptly handled and P4C dealt with the fine.

16 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I have used them for almost 10 yrs, and only had minor incident when I received a parking fine for Mayflower. But that was promptly handled and P4C dealt with the fine.

They’re running out of room to park around Southampton but they won’t tell you where they’re going. This is where mine was parked last time in Totton which was moved several times in the fortnight I was away 😡👇

IMG_3091.jpeg

1 minute ago, devonuk said:

They’re running out of room to park around Southampton but they won’t tell you where they’re going. This is where mine was parked last time in Totton which was moved several times in the fortnight I was away 😡👇

IMG_3091.jpeg

Why is that a problem?

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Ardennais said:

What happened?

Basically they’re losing their parking options so have resorted to using a number of locations that I would rather they didn’t. See my message below.  

4 minutes ago, devonuk said:

IMG_3091.jpeg

That wouldn’t bother me one bit! 

1 minute ago, terrierjohn said:

Why is that a problem?

So you’d be happy with your car being there, moved on a regular basis and several miles off the docks? If you’re happy that’s all the matters I guess 🤔