Sea pass card in phone case on Nieuw Statendam

Can I carry my card in my clear iphone case? I would have it facing out so it could be read. Can I do that? Can It be scanned while in the case or would i need to take it out every time I ordered a drink? Any concern that the phone will de activate my card?

5 hours ago, Ilovesailaway said:

Can I carry my card in my clear iphone case? I would have it facing out so it could be read. Can I do that? Can It be scanned while in the case or would i need to take it out every time I ordered a drink? Any concern that the phone will de activate my card?

(1) you would have to take it out at least 90% of the time, probably all 100%. Bartenders etc still have to swipe it. If you are sitting in a lounge, the server must take it to the bar to be swiped.

(2) some years ago (before I had bought all leggings with pockets), I was wearing my phone in a waterproof pouch around my neck and my card-key on a lanyard. I kept having to go to the Front Desk aka Guest Services to have my key re-programmed. The staff person would say it was from the phone. I did not believe them, but when I found a different place to carry my phone (I think it was in my knitting bag) -- sure enough, no more deactivation!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not sure if the answers are right for the Nieuw Statendam.  The Pinnacle Class ships (Koningsdam, Nieuw Statendam, and Rotterdam) do not have a magnetic strip, but have a chip and a bar code, and usually just getting the card near either a bar code reader or a chip scanner should be sufficient.  The phone should not de-activate the chip but I'm not sure if it would really work right next to the phone, and I think the card is usually collected when you order a drink although I'm not sure of that.  I think it could be worth an experiment but it's probably not a great idea to keep it there most of the time.

You will also need some kind of a card for a slot by the door to keep the lights and power on in your room.  Could be an old credit card or even an old medical appointment card but you will need something ready for that.

Roy

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Ilovesailaway said:

The Nieuw Statendam uses RFID chip technology, and the chip can be read through the plastic case. However, I doubt very much that bartenders would want to take the responsibility of taking your iPhone, just in case it was dropped and something broken. I think they'd ask you to remove the card and just give them that.

No, unlike the magnetic strips of yore, RFID chips aren't affected by your phone or other magnetic field.

There are credit card sleeves with adhesive backs that you could stick to the outside of your case to hold your card. That would probably be your best solution. Here's an example:  https://www.amazon.ca/Senose-Silicone-Compatible-Samsung-Smartphone/dp/B09V6NPT89/ref=sr_1_2?dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.d10Yad7-wEfPIC4xmizyhCKR3aRCE6wJYvUwjOINvFBTkoFBervqa-zFVPhDbJxAnyfKfBW0gg95V-hgBWIz4KR6nxRTgsVY-StSJf0yj_MDaAIoTJofEvvZcHRZ2tj59c89NWjl6ykvZzDS05ehd4kYuB7XIpw6KkcWPL8ICOeB0kRBZYUOUfOT25llx9UbO2DM4KbIWdQaOukSK4LIIbDuHNK-qY6LzVCXcnXMXrMWh_UdDUE3OyRZuUnAFHm7Z8nR_xfAWS53XIUk6JE0mD4mrPATjzK7Nwg-2vUesJA.eid6EelSSpkvoGo0_AMbEXTlxzI4AZ7xXGXo9repTWw&dib_tag=se&keywords=adhesive%2Bphone%2Bcard%2Bholder&qid=1708723507&sr=8-2-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&th=1

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

The Nieuw Statendam uses RFID chip technology

Ty this was very helpful. I have another phone case that is almost as slim and has a built in sleeve for a card. It will be easy to just pop out my card and hand it over. It still meets my goal of only carrying one thing. I guess I was hoping they had a hand scanner or just needed the number.

Edited by Ilovesailaway
typo
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Ilovesailaway said:

Ty this was very helpful. I have another phone case that is almost as slim and has a built in sleeve for a card. It will be easy to just pop out my card and hand it over. It still meets my goal of only carrying one thing. I guess i was hoping that they had a hand scanner or just needed the number.

There is a bar code at one end of the card.  If you use the sleeve it would block the bar code but if you left the  bar code near the open end you could in many cases just push it up enough to show the bar code without needing to take it out.  I suspect some people have scanners with them while others may need to take the card back to their central location.

Roy

21 hours ago, Ilovesailaway said:

Ty this was very helpful. I have another phone case that is almost as slim and has a built in sleeve for a card. It will be easy to just pop out my card and hand it over. It still meets my goal of only carrying one thing. I guess I was hoping they had a hand scanner or just needed the number.

That's what I use for cruising. Cabin card and whatever I need on shore (DL, CC) go in outside sleeve and the adjustable strap allows me to carry phone as crossbody so no need for pickets or worry about dropping or losing phone. It's been very handy for port days. Next best thing to carrying nothing.

17088017381504176759190593969018.thumb.jpg.03bc45b549be1f1db8b27e4dd2a992c2.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1