Cabin steward tipping

tmal2

47 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

They are helpful for people who can think on their own. If other people would rather pass that heavy burden onto the masses, my posts will not be helpful. 

NCL has...

"Unlike most other ships in the cruise industry, there is no required or recommended tipping on our ships for service that is generally rendered to all Guests.

...however, if someone decides to tip (I do), there is no recommended amount. 

If an automatic charge is added, the person will pay that. If the foreigner wants to tip above that or not, the foreigner isn't wrong no matter what he/she decides. The "fair amount" can only be decided by the foreigner, not by you, me, or by the average amount based on members on the forum. 

I really expect this to be my last comment on this subject.

Anyway, you are twisting my story around. My foreigner was not on a ship - just in America and not aquainted with the tipping customs. Forget "fair" amount - try reasonable or customary. He is clueless and looking for guidelines (like our OP who is further confused by the DSC being involved). Asking for some suggestions is very reasonable, IMHO.

Yes, there's no set amount; it's variable and subject to other factors (like level of service) - that does not preclude a range of amounts.

Anything said is an opinion (like yours and mine here).

Tipping guidelines exist and have been around forever.

Remember the days before DSC (or whatever the other guys call it these days?

The cruise line gave suggested tips for the steward and MDR staff. SUGGESTIONS!

Passengers were free to pay more - or less - as they saw fit.

For those who don't know the history, these suggestions morphed into automatic charges onto your account to save you the trouble of sorting out the different tips in cash and handing them to the crew members. Again, with the choice to change the amounts or opt out and do it the old way - by hand.

This method later became the current DSC.

History of Cruise Tipping 101

7 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Try it and see how the service improves.

We always get great service on a cruise and we seldom if ever tip over and above the tips we pay comprised of the dsc , 20% drink tips and 20% sdp tips.    But we are nice and respectful to the crew and never make unreasonable demands.  

dsc - aka $20 per person per day tips

Edited by seemoreroyals
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Try it and see how the service improves.

I’ll make sure to report back. 😉 In the mean time, maybe I can start another thread on how I can bring candy or fruit cakes as a show of my appreciation and see how that goes. 🤣 

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

7 minutes ago, dmwnc1959 said:

My cruise is 25-nights, in a Solo Inside cabin. So, even with no butler or concierge to ‘reward’ and a room ‘Stewart’ I may not see but once a day, the total cost end results for me tipping under those guidelines that you follow would still easily add several hundred dollars on top of the $1100 I’m already being billed.

I’m just 1 of 2000 on the ship, and most likely the easiest to take care of: no special cabin needs, no special dietary requests, not a frequent bar visitor, and very, very low maintenance. So there’s no real reason that they get to know me, my likes and dislikes, or what makes my day. And I’m fine with that.

And with the 20% service charges/tips already added to my drinks and SDP, I personally see no reason to tip another 20% on top of that. 

I find your position perfectly understandable.

I suggest you just keep an open mind during the cruise and if someone does an exemplary job, consider giving them a (more modest) cash tip. And if you feel the motivation, extend a modest tip to the steward.

I sailed last month on NCL. The steward was very friendly. Introduced himself on the first afternoon.

Always said good morning, (or whatever part of the day) when he saw us; addressed myself & my DW by name and asked how we were doing. The only "extra" thing we asked for was ice (a few days into the cruise). He then brought a fresh bucket every PM (often after the cabin was serviced earlier). I assume this was to give us ice for the evening as we were likely out and about during the heart of the day, especially on port days.

Exceptional - maybe. Likeable - absolutely. Gave him $50 cash.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, tmal2 said:

Does anyone tip their cabin stewards in top of the $20 per person per day service charge? How much additional do you give?

Yes a lot of people do and they do so in various amounts.  What someone else tips is no business of anyone else nor is it relevant (neither is the DSC).  Tip who you want what amount you want when you want and be done with it.  EOS

4 hours ago, tmal2 said:

Does anyone tip their cabin stewards in top of the $20 per person per day service charge? How much additional do you give?

Tipping is a personal decision. Some people tip. Some people don't. 

FWIW: The $20 covers many more people than your cabin steward. It covers all of the restaurant workers for complimentary restaurants (waiters, busboys, dishwashers, galley staff), forward facing and behind the scenes cruise staff, and many more that help make your cruise memorable. So,,, you steward gets a tiny bit of the $20/day. 

Personally, we like to help those who help us. We tip our cabin steward $10-$20/day. We got off a 3-night cruise earlier this week and tipped our steward $75 because he went out of his way to help us. 

40 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

FWIW: The $20 covers many more people than your cabin steward. It covers all of the restaurant workers for complimentary restaurants (waiters, busboys, dishwashers, galley staff), forward facing and behind the scenes cruise staff, and many more that help make your cruise memorable. So,,, you steward gets a tiny bit of the $20/day. 

One thing I am absolutely not going to do is pay the entire crew’s wages. If bar managers, assistant bar managers, housekeeper chiefs, housekeeper’s managers, and food and beverage managers are getting my money I’ll remove the DSC immediately and tip who I want to. If the cruise lines can’t pay a living wage for those folks you’ve mentioned it’s not my job to do it either. And I’m not tipping anyone and everyone that smiles in my direction or does their job. Our tipping culture and the guilt of obligation to do so is getting WAY out of hand. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Whether you choose to tip or not, If someone gives you great service, fill out a hero card for them.  This is how they are able to tap into that some of that DSC $$$, in addition to promotions/raises.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, dmwnc1959 said:

My cruise is 25-nights, in a Solo Inside cabin. So, even with no butler or concierge to ‘reward’ and a room ‘Stewart’ I may not see but once a day, the total cost end results for me tipping under those guidelines that you follow would still easily add several hundred dollars on top of the $1100 I’m already being billed.

I’m just 1 of 2000 on the ship, and most likely the easiest to take care of: no special cabin needs, no special dietary requests, not a frequent bar visitor, and very, very low maintenance. So there’s no real reason that they get to know me, my likes and dislikes, or what makes my day. And I’m fine with that.

And with the 20% service charges/tips already added to my drinks and SDP, I personally see no reason to tip another 20% on top of that. 

I definitely agree with you. There are 2 of us, we do insides for 21 days mostly, last month was three 7 day cruises. Our daily service charge was a total of $840. Our restaurants was around another $70 tip and our drink package was around $900 total tip. The total in tips and gratuities for dining and drinks was approximately $1840.  That is as much as we paid for one week. 

I see no reason why we should tip on top of that considering our cabin cleaning went from twice a day to once a day, ice in the cabin if I reminded the cabin steward everyday and bar staff that were as slow as molasses and rude at times. We keep our cabin clean and all we needed basically was towels and wash clothes. The cabin steward replaced those and made the bed daily. The cabin was not swept the first 2 weeks, I know because I would see the same piece of paper daily and finally had to ask the cabin steward to vacuum the cabin.

One use to get top notch service and we did tip extra. Not lately.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cruiser2015 said:

I really expect this to be my last comment on this subject.

^^ I'll also never understand posts that begin like this. ^^

If it's your final post, it's your final post.

If you wish to reply, you will reply.

There's no need to announce that you won't continue to post. 

Anyway, you are twisting my story around. My foreigner was not on a ship - just in America and not aquainted with the tipping customs.

What is expected on a ship is DIFFERENT than what is expected on land, correct? 

I've already posted what NCL has in the FAQ.....

"Additionally, there is an 20% gratuity and spa service charge added for all spa and salon services, as well as an 20% gratuity and beverage service charge added for all beverage purchases and an 20% gratuity and specialty service charge added to all specialty restaurant dining and entertainment based dining." - NCL

...which is not applicable to land restaurants nor land bars. 

If anyone wants to tip beyond that (I do), that person cannot give a wrong amount if that person gives what that person feels is appropriate. NOBODY on the forum can give that amount for someone else. Forum members can give what THEY gave as an example but that amount should not determine what amount the next person should give. 

Yes, there's no set amount; it's variable and subject to other factors (like level of service) - that does not preclude a range of amounts.

Again, there is nothing wrong with forum members giving the amounts that THEY tip. What is wrong is the idea that the person asking should base their amount on those other forum members' answers. The person asking makes the decision no matter what forum members answer therefor the person asking already has the ability to answer their own question of "How much should I tip?" even if the question is phrased as "How much do you guys tip?"

Tipping guidelines exist and have been around forever.

No, people giving examples of what THEY believe is the correct tipping amount have been "around forever". 

2 hours ago, cruiser2015 said:

The cruise line gave suggested tips for the steward and MDR staff. SUGGESTIONS!

Suggestions which are NOT given now. 

For those who don't know the history, these suggestions morphed into automatic charges onto your account to save you the trouble of sorting out the different tips in cash and handing them to the crew members. Again, with the choice to change the amounts or opt out and do it the old way - by hand.

This method later became the current DSC.

Which (again) has nothing to do with how much someone should tip their room steward. Each person can/should/will decide for themselves how much to tip their stateroom steward. No other forum members can/should/will make that decision for the person who asks. The person asking should put their big boy/girl pants on and decide entirely on their own instead of worrying about "...I hope that other forum members think that my amount is ok....."

I find your position perfectly understandable.

I suggest you just keep an open mind during the cruise and if someone does an exemplary job, consider giving them a (more modest) cash tip. And if you feel the motivation, extend a modest tip to the steward.

I sailed last month on NCL. The steward was very friendly. Introduced himself on the first afternoon.

Always said good morning, (or whatever part of the day) when he saw us; addressed myself & my DW by name and asked how we were doing. The only "extra" thing we asked for was ice (a few days into the cruise). He then brought a fresh bucket every PM (often after the cabin was serviced earlier). I assume this was to give us ice for the evening as we were likely out and about during the heart of the day, especially on port days.

Exceptional - maybe. Likeable - absolutely. Gave him $50 cash.

So you tipped him $50 extra for being friendly and addressing you by name?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, dbrown84 said:

Whether you choose to tip or not, If someone gives you great service, fill out a hero card for them.  This is how they are able to tap into that some of that DSC $$$, in addition to promotions/raises.

THIS!!! ^ ^ ^ 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Two Wheels Only said:

^^ I'll also never understand posts that begin like this. ^^

If it's your final post, it's your final post.

If you wish to reply, you will reply.

There's no need to announce that you won't continue to post. 

What is expected on a ship is DIFFERENT than what is expected on land, correct? 

I've already posted what NCL has in the FAQ.....

"Additionally, there is an 20% gratuity and spa service charge added for all spa and salon services, as well as an 20% gratuity and beverage service charge added for all beverage purchases and an 20% gratuity and specialty service charge added to all specialty restaurant dining and entertainment based dining." - NCL

...which is not applicable to land restaurants nor land bars. 

If anyone wants to tip beyond that (I do), that person cannot give a wrong amount if that person gives what that person feels is appropriate. NOBODY on the forum can give that amount for someone else. Forum members can give what THEY gave as an example but that amount should not determine what amount the next person should give. 

Again, there is nothing wrong with forum members giving the amounts that THEY tip. What is wrong is the idea that the person asking should base their amount on those other forum members' answers. The person asking makes the decision no matter what forum members answer therefor the person asking already has the ability to answer their own question of "How much should I tip?" even if the question is phrased as "How much do you guys tip?"

No, people giving examples of what THEY believe is the correct tipping amount have been "around forever". 

Suggestions which are NOT given now. 

Which (again) has nothing to do with how much someone should tip their room steward. Each person can/should/will decide for themselves how much to tip their stateroom steward. No other forum members can/should/will make that decision for the person who asks. The person asking should put their big boy/girl pants on and decide entirely on their own instead of worrying about "...I hope that other forum members think that my amount is ok....."

Okay, you've done it - going back on my last comment prediction. And, I stated that because we had both given opinions, more than once, and I felt it was time to give this tag match a rest.

You had a great time dissecting each of my comments.

I made an analogy  using an off-ship reference, to make a point about trading tipping information NOT being an absurdity.

While your position is certainly rational, it does not mean that your view is the only right one.

You even stressed the point that suggestions for tipping are no longer given - and that is because things have evolved, as we all know.

However, tipping still exists. And while your take on it is fine, we really don't need you telling everyone else with another take (including myself and the OP) that it is somehow completely wrong to do so.

A closing word:

A few months ago, I asked a couple of buddies how much they were tipping their newspaper delivery person. I had been doing it for many years, really, in a vacuum. Turns out that my amount was in line with others. Was I crazy to ask?

A few months later, I ended up increasing the amount by 1/3. Why? With all of the inflation lately and the tough job that it is, I decided to up the ante.

I did that all on my own.

I asked around, put things in perspective, and made a decision.

I expect our OP to do the same.

1 hour ago, ready2cruzagain said:

So you tipped him $50 extra for being friendly and addressing you by name?

Not quite.

He did his job well and made a point to be extra cordial (although nearly every crew member on board exchanged greetings when passing by). There were some longer chats than a simple good morning by him. In all, it enhanced our time on the ship.

I appreciated that and reacted accordingly.

If the cabin was not cleaned appropriately on a daily basis or was otherwise poor in execution, there would have been no additional tip; also would not have cancelled DSC).

37 minutes ago, cruiser2015 said:

Okay, you've done it - going back on my last comment prediction. And, I stated that because we had both given opinions, more than once, and I felt it was time to give this tag match a rest.

I haven't done anything.  YOU decided to post again. As per usual,  when someone claims that they will no longer post, they return and post.

YOU deciding that you need "a rest" has no impact on when I decide to no longer post.

43 minutes ago, cruiser2015 said:

And while your take on it is fine, we really don't need you telling everyone else with another take (including myself and the OP) that it is somehow completely wrong to do so.

So....you can decide what "we really don't need", huh? 🙄

50 minutes ago, cruiser2015 said:

A few months ago, I asked a couple of buddies how much they were tipping their newspaper delivery person. I had been doing it for many years, really, in a vacuum. Turns out that my amount was in line with others. Was I crazy to ask?

You were looking for affirmation that your amount was similar to theirs. If their amount was 1/4 of yours or was 4x yours, would you have changed your amount?

You have the ability to raise or lower any tip no matter what others do. You don't need to know what others tip in order to do so.

I asked around, put things in perspective, and made a decision.

You could have made that decision without knowing what others tip...because what others tip doesn't make anyone tip more or less.

1 hour ago, Two Wheels Only said:

I haven't done anything.  YOU decided to post again. As per usual,  when someone claims that they will no longer post, they return and post.

YOU deciding that you need "a rest" has no impact on when I decide to no longer post.

So....you can decide what "we really don't need", huh? 🙄

You were looking for affirmation that your amount was similar to theirs. If their amount was 1/4 of yours or was 4x yours, would you have changed your amount?

You have the ability to raise or lower any tip no matter what others do. You don't need to know what others tip in order to do so.

You could have made that decision without knowing what others tip...because what others tip doesn't make anyone tip more or less.

Yes, I do believe that I can say what "we" need here.

I have total respect for your right to your opinions.

I object to you painstakingly ripping apart every word of someone else's comments, looking for an excuse to say they are wrong..

Of  course, you are convinced you are totally correct, but refuse to allow another view.

You are so bent on disputing every phrase - even the opener here about not doing anything to me. No, you did not - literally. My words were intended as a  light hearted way of saying some of what you responded prompted me to feel a need to respond back again. You just won't yield  a millimeter on anything.

Forgive me, but I would like to throw one more challenge at your logic. A hypothetical:

Say your child approaches you with this question:

I will be taking my date home from the dance tonight by taxi.

I've never been in a taxi. I think that people usually give a tip to the driver.

Is that true? If so, how much should it be, Dad?

If your answer is "sorry, son. It's not appropriate for anyone to tell you what that should be. You need to figure that out on your own" then I feel sorry for that kid.

My whole point - which I think this last example proves clearly, is that if someone is unfamiliar with a topic, it is fair game to inquire of other folks what they think.

No need for you to agree - just allow the rest of us do what WE think makes sense.

PS

As for the newspaper tip, if I found out I was substantially undertipping (or perhaps over) and shorting the carrier - hell yeah, I would have changed the amount. Why? Because there are reasonable norms in this world, even if you refuse to acknowledge it.

Edited by cruiser2015
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Two Wheels Only said:

The answer is that everyone should tip whatever amount that they want to tip

Is there a problem or something wrong with gathering information as part of the process of determining "what they want to tip"?  Your posts sure make it seem like there is something wrong with asking questions and gathering information

7 hours ago, Two Wheels Only said:

instead of  "...whelp, the most common amount is $xxx so I'll tip that amount..."

Who said that's what they were going to do?  If you inferred that, then that is on you.  If that would be your simplistic approach, again, that's on you not the OP.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Two Wheels Only said:

The person asking should put their big boy/girl pants on and decide entirely on their own instead of worrying about "...I hope that other forum members think that my amount is ok....."

Another example of you projecting your thoughts onto the OP.  The OP said nor implied nothing along these lines.  

My guess is you have some sort of insecurities related to tipping amounts.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, cruiser2015 said:

Yes, I do believe that I can say what "we" need here.

Sure you can post that but that doesn't make it true. 

41 minutes ago, cruiser2015 said:

I have total respect for your right to your opinions.

Yet, you feel that you can determine when I should stop posting my opinion, right?

42 minutes ago, cruiser2015 said:

I object to you painstakingly ripping apart every word of someone else's comments, looking for an excuse to say they are wrong.

If you truly respected my right to post my opinion, it shouldn't matter if you agree with those opinions or if you disagree with those opinions. I've never stated that I "don't need you" to post your opinion even when I disagree. 

Did it ever occur to you that there is a reason why it is so easy to point out what is wrong?

45 minutes ago, cruiser2015 said:

You are so bent on disputing every phrase - even the opener here about not doing anything to me. No, you did not - literally. My words were intended as a  light hearted way of saying some of what you responded prompted me to feel a need to respond back again.

You completely missed my point. I didn't MAKE you respond. You decided entirely on your own to respond. You have that power just like you have that power to decide on how much/little you tip. 

49 minutes ago, cruiser2015 said:

Forgive me, but I would like to throw one more challenge at your logic. A hypothetical:

Say your child approaches you with this question:

I will be taking my date home from the dance tonight by taxi.

I've never been in a taxi. I think that people usually give a tip to the driver.

Is that true? If so, how much should it be, Dad?

Once again, your example is one for a position that has an expectation of a tip. NCL does not expect people to tip stateroom stewards. There's "no required or recommended tipping" for the position being discussed in this thread. Your deciding to give examples where tips are expected doesn't apply to the subject at hand.

Do people tip their steward? Sure.

Should people tip based on what random forum members tipped? No. 

56 minutes ago, cruiser2015 said:

No need for you to agree - just allow the rest of us do what WE think makes sense.

How have I stopped or not allowed anyone from doing what they think make sense?

I don't have the power to make anyone do or not do what they think is correct. 

As for the newspaper tip, if I found out I was substantially undertipping (or perhaps over) and shorting the carrier - hell yeah, I would have changed the amount. Why? Because there are reasonable norms in this world, even if you refuse to acknowledge it.

What if all of your neighbors were "unreasonable" because they tipped a drastically different amount? Would you change just to match them or would you want them to change just to match you? That's the problem with allowing others to decide what is correct instead of you deciding for yourself what is correct. 

37 minutes ago, PATRLR said:

Is there a problem or something wrong with gathering information as part of the process of determining "what they want to tip"?  Your posts sure make it seem like there is something wrong with asking questions and gathering information

The question being asked isn't for information. It is for opinion (which is fine to ask). If there was a thread asking "What is your favorite movie?" and 99% of people answered with a movie that you didn't like, would you change your opinion based on the gathered information? No, you probably wouldn't. You would have your opinion and they would have theirs. 

41 minutes ago, PATRLR said:

Who said that's what they were going to do?  If you inferred that, then that is on you. 

What other purpose (other than affirmation) would someone have to ask that question? Is it "I just want to know..." or is it "I just want to know in order to adjust accordingly..."?

44 minutes ago, PATRLR said:

If that would be your simplistic approach, again, that's on you not the OP.

No, that's NOT my approach. I can think for myself and decide for myself.

Evidently, some people need the opinions of others to decide. That's on them. 

4 minutes ago, PATRLR said:

My guess is you have some sort of insecurities related to tipping amounts.

Actually, the insecure ones worry about what others tip in order to fit in with those amounts.

I WANT people to think for themselves. 

8 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

The question being asked isn't for information. It is for opinion (which is fine to ask).

You might want to go back and read the original post again.  I'll save you the clicks:  "Does anyone tip their cabin stewards in top of the $20 per person per day service charge? How much additional do you give?"

OP asked two questions.  First one is answered with yes or no, second with a number.  Both questions are asking for facts, not opinions.  

Earlier you mentioned people thinking for themselves.  Unless one is thinking up fantasies, most useful thinking is based on learned facts.  OP is trying to gather those facts and your encouragement of people not providing those facts or telling OP s/he doesn't need those facts is not helpful.

Edited by PATRLR

3 minutes ago, PATRLR said:

Earlier you mentioned people thinking for themselves.  Unless one is thinking up fantasies, most useful thinking is based on learned facts.  OP is trying to gather those facts and your encouragement of people not providing those facts or telling OP s/he doesn't need those fact is not helpful.

I'll ask again since nobody was willing to answer before.....

If the forum response of a "ballpark figure" was $250 per person per day would you tip that much just to fit in?

Would you ignore that amount and tip an amount that you feel is appropriate?

If the OP's "gathered facts" was an amount that high, would the OP tip based on those "facts"?

If you believe that the answer is "yes", then you see the problem with tipping based on what others tip.

If you believe that the answer is "no", then you see that people can decide on their own what to tip without asking what others tip. 

9 hours ago, phillygwm said:

Yes and no.  Every year, around the holidays, there are articles around how much to tip your whoever because people don't know what is expected.  NCL states (paraphrasing because I'm lazy) that anything tipped above DSC is appreciated but not expected.  So there's the short answer.  For me, that means if service is above expectations, I'll tip...but since it isn't expected, anything >=$0 is fine.  

Just don't ask me how much to tip the housecleaner.  I'm still trying to figure that out. 🙂

No tip should be 'expected' by anyone.  Ther is no suggested, normal, customary, or usual amunt to tip.  Each person should simply tip whatevr they wanto to at any time and realize that what otehrs do is completely irrelevant.

8 hours ago, dmwnc1959 said:

Even as a solo this adds well over $700+ to my cruise ON TOP OFF the $1100 I’m already being charged in DSC and dining/drink package gratuities. Yeah, that’s absolutely not even happening. For me personally, that’s excessive. 😳

If you think it is excessive then simply turn down the free drinks and pay for the unlimited bar as well as paying the 20%.  That should make you feel a lot better!

• Haha 1