Drink question

cruisebabe50

Hi all,

We are cruising on the Reflection in April.  I am trying to decide if it is worth it for us to purchase the drink packages.  Hubby drinks more than I do but I am not sure if even he will drink enough to pay for the cost or if we should just pay as we go.  Does anyone know the cost of a basic alcohol drink ie:  vodka tonic?  Also, I enjoy coke zero on occasion and a specialty coffee now and then.  Thanks in advance.  

I found this to be helpful... the basic drink package covers drinks up to $10 and the premium package up to $17:

https://www.celebritycruises.com/content/dam/celebrity/new-images/12_15_23_OB_SP_Drinks-Flyer_V4.pdf

So, with your example, a vodka tonic, if you are okay with Absolut, Whealtly, New Amsterdam, or Smirnoff, then the basic package is fine. If not, you might consider upgrading. If you have the basic drink package and the drink costs more than $10, you pay the difference plus gratuity.

• Like 1

A basic drink is $8  to 10 plus a 20% gratuity.  Also you can bring 2 bottles of wine and a 12pk of canned soda pop on board at the start of your cruise.  Look at the drink package cost and make your decision.  Remember to include other things bundled into the package when looking at the cost and make your decision.

Edited by Arizona Wildcat
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, dctravel said:

I found this to be helpful... the basic drink package covers drinks up to $10 and the premium package up to $17:

https://www.celebritycruises.com/content/dam/celebrity/new-images/12_15_23_OB_SP_Drinks-Flyer_V4.pdf

So, with your example, a vodka tonic, if you are okay with Absolut, Whealtly, New Amsterdam, or Smirnoff, then the basic package is fine. If not, you might consider upgrading. If you have the basic drink package and the drink costs more than $10, you pay the difference plus gratuity.

Thanks yes I saw this.  I guess my question is Are there really drinks that are under $10 because if so we will pay less by just paying as we go.  I was recently on RCCL Radiance of the Seas and I didn't see anything under $10.  

15 minutes ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

A basic drink is $8  to 10 plus a 20% gratuity.  Also you can bring 2 bottles of wine and a 12pk of canned soda pop on board at the start of your cruise.  Look at the drink package cost and make your decision.  Remember to include other things bundled into the package when looking at the cost and make your decision.

Wow!  Thanks!  Good info!  

Also, I know we can bring a couple of bottles of wine onboard but do you know if they allow bottled water?   I know some cruise lines have said no more bottled water because of the "booze smugglers, lol"  

Edited by cruisebabe50

This site offers a calculator to help you make a decision https://www.cruzely.com/cruise-line-drink-package-calculator/ 

Our rule is that if you can drink between 7-9 drinks a day, including Water, Juice, Pop, and Alcohol a drink package is right for you. The difference between the Classic and the Premium comes to personal taste, if you have a specific brand that is only offered in Premium, and you can't live without it, upgrade. If you are ok with the bar brands and what's behind the counter. Stick with classic. If you aren't sure, stick with classic, and pay as you go. 

We also account for the ease of our trip, I don't like to stop and have to sign for drinks or worry about extra costs at the end of my vacation, and because of that, even if we don't hit our 9 drinks a day, it's worth it to us. But others are okay with spending the time tracking how many drinks they have. 

Edited by cmaleblanc
  • Like 2

My DH and I also do not drink much but get the package.My DH likes the convenience. Also having everything prepaid makes for a more enjoyable cruise. Unfortunate having the drink package also means you don’t worry about every drink and I tend to drink more. But on the plus side I do stay hydrated because I am not thinking about how much each water costs. So for us we’re paying for peace of mind.

• Like 2

There are lot’s of mixed drinks to try most of which we would not order at home. Many coffee drinks as well. The nice thing about a drink package is you can experiment and if you don’t like it, toss it. If it’s just a well vodka and tonic you are after and a cup of coffee in the morning just get a classic package or order a la carte.

We have done the drink packages in the past because "it's easy" and found ourselves drinking a lot because we felt like we had to to get our money's worth, and even then didn't come close to the cost of the drink package.  So now we pay as we go and just know that there will be a cost, which is okay because even if we really drink a lot (for us) it is less than half the cost of all included.  It is a good way to use extra OBC and I certainly enjoy the drinks more when I know I am walking away from the cruise hundreds of dollars richer than if I bought the AI (that money can be used for the next cruise!).

3 hours ago, Boston lab girl said:

Unfortunate having the drink package also means you don’t worry about every drink and I tend to drink more.

That's my problem as well, so I actually avoid the packages for health reasons.

3 hours ago, Boston lab girl said:

But on the plus side I do stay hydrated because I am not thinking about how much each water costs.

Water is free to anyone as long as you don't insist on bottles.

On 2/26/2024 at 10:57 AM, cruisebabe50 said:

Also, I know we can bring a couple of bottles of wine onboard but do you know if they allow bottled water?   I know some cruise lines have said no more bottled water because of the "booze smugglers, lol"  

Everything you bring on has to be sealed bottles/cans.

According to Celebrity all beverages has to be in carry-on luggage.

I have never found a limit to the amount of non-alcoholic beverages you can bring aboard.  So I assume you can bring a dozen sodas and a dozen bottles of water if you want to.

The limit of 12 bottles of soft drinks is the Royal Caribbean limit.