Ability To Take Video Calls While At Sea

lmklimmek

I have had something pop up that requires me to log in for a two hour call while on our cruise.  We will be at sea that day. 

Does anyone have experience working/being on calls while onboard? 

Thanks, 

Lana Klimmek

Did it multiple times in December and February on Ascent. We were in the Caribbean. Starlink was very good. Might be different in other parts of the world. Be sure to get premium wifi though.

2 hours ago, lmklimmek said:

I have had something pop up that requires me to log in for a two hour call while on our cruise.  We will be at sea that day. 

Does anyone have experience working/being on calls while onboard? 

Thanks, 

Lana Klimmek

Definitely get premium Wi-Fi.  It should work with some exceptions depending on what part of the world you are in.  We have had issues with reception on Alaska cruises.  No issues on Caribbean and Pacific coast cruises.  Have only done one other region so can't really advise beyond that.

If you have a wifi package and set your phone to Wifi calling, you should be able to make and receive phone calls at no additional expenses.     I've found that the internet is fairly reliable but have also lost it for 10 minutes to 8 hours.     I've also found that for best connectivity stay stable in one place.   Sometime when walking on the ship I've had calls dropped possibly during handoff between Access Points.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

If you have a wifi package and set your phone to Wifi calling, you should be able to make and receive phone calls at no additional expenses.     I've found that the internet is fairly reliable but have also lost it for 10 minutes to 8 hours.     I've also found that for best connectivity stay stable in one place.   Sometime when walking on the ship I've had calls dropped possibly during handoff between Access Points.

Premium Wi-Fi is needed for Wi-Fi calling

I’ve participated in several video calls at sea via Zoom and Teams and only once had an issue with the call dropping. I later found out this happened because the onboard signal had connected to a satellite location restricted by my employer. Other than that one experience, has always it worked fine!

Don't want to lull people into false expectation.    

I have normally had very good uninterrupted connectivity on TA's and TP's, but have also lost connectivity for 5-6 hours near the Azores.      Did a B2B Mexican Riviera with a day in Catalina Island - on both trips there was zero Wifi or Cellular the full time we were in Catalina -- even though you can see Los Angeles.  

16 hours ago, Zacb said:

Just a reminder. Please please please do not make video calls in public areas without headphones. 😊 No one else wants to hear your call. 

100% agree!  I've seen people doing video calls in Luminae during dining times.  So rude and inconsiderate!  And I don't want to hear people justifying it by saying it's no different than talking to each other at the table.  That's just not true.  People tend to talk much louder on video calls than when talking to their partner across the table.