Cruise Tips and Packing Ideas

I was looking for a topic like this. I seem to remember a thread years ago where this was discussed at length. 

I haven't been on a cruise since the pandemic. So I was trying to remember some of the hacks. 

here are some of the ones that I remember. 

Bring a scented garbage bag in each suitcase to put your dirty clothes in. It saves space and keeps the clothes from smelling. 

Pack a couple of dryer sheets in with your clothes. We typically do a couple of loads of laundry on a 7 day cruise for the family. The dryer sheets keep your clothes smelling nice and you can use them. 

On older ships especially bring a plug with multiple outlets. I have one with 3 outlets and a night light at the bottom. The older ships have few options for plugging in devices. 

Flashlight

Duct Tape

Single use laundry detergent packs

Lots of dollar bills for tipping. It goes a long way to tip early and often. Especially when you are on a cruise that everyone has the beverage package.

Over the door shoe hanger. It is a great way to save space for toiletries and medicines. 

Tide Stain pen for small stains 

Downy wrinkle release spray.

Take a photo of your passport and send yourself an email with the picture. That way you can access it anywhere that you have an internet connection. 

Place a copy of your second copy of your cruise documents inside of the luggage in the event the luggage tags are removed. 

Carry your medicine in your carry on bag. Do not check it. 

Bonine is the best motion sickness pill I have ever taken. Take it every day. Buy enough for the whole cruise. It costs 5 times as much on the ship. 

Highlighter to go over the daily activities. 

good idea to have a back up battery pack now that most ships allow use of phones for apps and on board communication. 

Water proof phone lanyard. 

Towel Clips

chap stick with sun block

Pocket poncho. You can find these at the dollar store. They are typically only good for one use, but they are tiny and inexpensive. 

I am sure I can come up with some more. I will update as I remember more. 

Would love to hear others ideas. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Texas Realtor said:

Tide Stain pen for small stains

FYI: I prefer a Shout Wipe to the pen. It works better IME.

You didn't mention magnet hooks to put hats, purses, clothes that have been worn but aren't ready for the hamper, etc. I see those on lists all the time.

• Like 1

If flying with someone else cross pack.  Put half your clothes in your travel companions checked bag and they will put half their stuff in your checked bag.  That way if one bag is lost or delayed, you'll have at least some things to wear.

Remember to bring Patience and a Sense of Humour. 

• Like 6

It's also perfectly fine, acceptable, and less expensive to travel with none of the extra stuff. Prescription medication should always travel in your carry-on bag, whether you are traveling by sea or by air. Having your passport info stored on your phone is simple and also a good idea.

I think a lot of newer travelers see a list like this and think they have to buy all. the. things. In reality, you will figure out what you need and what you do not the more you cruise. Why put extra money into things that you will never use and just take up packing space? YouTube has thousands of videos showing cruiseline content and the videos give you a great idea about space, storage, electrical outlets, etc. Plus watching YouTube videos is free.

• Like 4

Just google a cruise packing list. Don't forget the very basics. If you do, that will be the most expensive toothbrush you ever bought (at the ship store.)  Also, since COVID, medicines are not available in the gift shops. You have to contact the medical center. On Celebrity, you can't just walk in anymore. You need an appointment! (as of Jan, 2024 on the Silhouette.)

Edited by Markanddonna

Thoughts: 

- We never need extra outlets, as we don't use electronics much; however, if you do, take a minute and paint them a bright color.  On a recent cruise we "inherited" an outlet extender that someone had left behind -- easy to do when they're all white /blend in with the wall.  Our daughter claimed it, painted the front with bright blue nail polish and wrapped the edges with blue-print washi tape, and now it's a pretty thing that's not likely to be missed. 

- Some of the newer ships have USB /cords at some bars, so you can charge your phones while drinking.  

- We have tiny flashlights that are attached to our backpacks with carabiners -- useful for seeing in the safe, but not much good for anything else.  In an emergency, the ship has a backup generator to power lights in the hallways.  If you want a small, soft light for nighttime, pick up glow sticks from the dollar store.  Or Amazon.  

- More useful than the flashlights, we also have small watches (on carabiners) that stay on our backpacks.  An analog clock is useful, as you know it's not flipping between time zones.  I move mine to my beach bag when I go to the pool.  

- Never yet found a use for duct tape. 

- Before you pack laundry detergent, find out whether your ship has a laundry room.  If you plan to rinse things out in the sink, consider using the ship's shampoo.  It's already available. 

- Before you start tipping everyone on the ship, note that they add an automatic 18% gratuity to, well, everything -- this is a Royal Caribbean thing; verify with other carriers.  If you want to tip more, by all means, that's your business, but do consider that you've already tipped once.   

- The room has a lot of storage.  The over-the-door shoe hanger just brings your clutter out in the open.  

- If you're storing pictures of your passport (or credit card or other sensitive information), definitely add a password lock to your phone.  You don't want just anyone seeing your stuff.  

- Also take a picture of the spot you parked.  It's easy to forget over the course of your cruise. 

- Keep your copy of your cruise documents in your carry-on.  That's personal information.  

- When you're buying Bonine, be sure to choose the 24-hour stuff.  

- Know that you don't automatically get paper copies of the Daily Compass anymore.  Everything's in the app, and a lot of people are fine with that.  (I still like paper.) 

- I do like a couple magnet hooks ... good for hanging hats by the door.  Don't over-do. 

- Yes, Royal Caribbean also requires you to claim a check-in time (45 days out?).  It's a better system:  crowds are smaller than they used to be, and you provide much of your boarding information ahead of time. 

- Along those lines, Muster Drills are now "drop bys".  Still a necessity.  

- Read everything.  For example, I remember seeing a You-Tube in which a well-known, well-spoken cruise blogger complained he didn't realize until the end of the cruise that El Loco Fresh is a no-charge food venue and Johnny Rockets serves no-charge breakfast on Oasis class ships.  If he'd read his Daily Compass, he'd have known these things!  

- Don't return your towels to the towel station; instead, exchange them for fresh towels.  This means you have clean towels if you go to the hot tubs early /late when the towel station isn't open, and the fewer times your cabin number goes in /out of "the system", the fewer opportunities for human error. 

- If you're bringing beverages onboard, place them in ziplock bags.  Better than being sorry later. 

- If you're getting a free mug with a beverage package, bring along a bit of dishwashing soap.  Rinsing isn't enough.  

- Board wearing your swimsuit so you're ready to hit the slides or Flowrider right away.  Don't bother trying to change in a small bathroom. 

- Bring plenty of sunscreen, Tylenol, etc.  These things -- if you can get them onboard -- will be quite expensive.  

- If more than two people are sharing a room, consider booking near the gym (for showers) or near a public rest room.  The gym showers are also larger, if you find the cabin showers claustrophobic.  

- If you're in an Inside Cabin, keep the TV tuned to the Forward Bridge Camera.  It'll give you a view of outside /let you know whether the sun's up /whether it's raining.  

- Don't feel you need to "upgrade" everything -- or anything.  You can have a fantastic cruise in an Inside Cabin, without a drink package, eating only no-extra-cost food. 

- You can ask the pizza people to make you a pizza just as you like it, and they'll box it up for you.  It's nice to watch an evening movie by the pool with your pizza.  

- Consider bringing something to identify your door.  Our artist daughter made us a set of kissing goldfish.  I laminated them /put magnets inside the lamination, and now they are easy to pop on/off the magnetic doors.  

- Your cabin steward knows EVERYTHING.  If you have a problem, consider him your first contact person.  

- We bring a pack of sticky notes and leave notes to one another on the TV:  At the pool.  At the Ice Show.  You will not have a notepad /pen in your stateroom -- in fact, we're not seeing them in hotels like we used to.  

- Unless you're local, arrive in your port city a day ahead of time.  Its the cheapest insurance you can buy.  We stay about 30 minutes "out" because prices are lower, and we consider that a reasonable "morning of" drive.  

- Before you decide to buy the cruise ship's comprehensive travel insurance, look into third-part JUST evacuation or medical + evacuation insurance.  It's about 15-20% the cost of a comprehensive package ... but do consider your own needs.  

- Men, consider bringing one pair of pants + 4-5 shirts for dinner.  It'll work out fine.  

- Ladies, bring 3-4 dresses (or outfits) for dinner and assume you'll wear each one twice.  Bring one pair of dressy shoes in a basic color to match ALL your dinner outfits -- huge space saver. 

- Most important thing you can bring:  A good attitude and a flexible spirit.  

Edited by Mum2Mercury
  • Like 4

9 hours ago, Markanddonna said:

Just google a cruise packing list. Don't forget the very basics. If you do, that will be the most expensive toothbrush you ever bought (at the ship store.)  Also, since COVID, medicines are not available in the gift shops. You have to contact the medical center. On Celebrity, you can't just walk in anymore. You need an appointment! (as of Jan, 2024 on the Silhouette.)

But if you have frequent port stops, you can get a ton of meds then, rx and non-rx.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, clo said:

But if you have frequent port stops, you can get a ton of meds then, rx and non-rx.

We tend to go on longer trips, like transatlantics. Also, you may not find what you need at the pharmacy.  I prefer not trekking around to find a pharmacy, although we have done so several times.

10 hours ago, TwinMamainMN said:

It's also perfectly fine, acceptable, and less expensive to travel with none of the extra stuff. Prescription medication should always travel in your carry-on bag, whether you are traveling by sea or by air. Having your passport info stored on your phone is simple and also a good idea.

I think a lot of newer travelers see a list like this and think they have to buy all. the. things. In reality, you will figure out what you need and what you do not the more you cruise. Why put extra money into things that you will never use and just take up packing space? YouTube has thousands of videos showing cruiseline content and the videos give you a great idea about space, storage, electrical outlets, etc. Plus watching YouTube videos is free.

When going through customs in another country (Australia), I was wondering if you need to have your medication in an original prescription bottle OR can you just have a copy of the  prescription.  I get my prescriptions in a 90 day supply and will only about a 30 day supply.  I hate to tote around those huge bottles if I don't have to.

34 minutes ago, Markanddonna said:

We tend to go on longer trips, like transatlantics. Also, you may not find what you need at the pharmacy.  I prefer not trekking around to find a pharmacy, although we have done so several times.

Good points. I do carry my 'what-if' bag of meds, bandages, etc. And I'm lucky - knock wood - that the only time I've needed anything was in Rio (where we had a place) and I ate salmonella-tainted peanut butter that was produced in the US. I quickly and easily found an English-speaking pharmacist (I find them quite common allover the world) and she gave me what I needed. Cipro!!!

1 hour ago, It'smegrandma said:

When going through customs in another country (Australia), I was wondering if you need to have your medication in an original prescription bottle OR can you just have a copy of the  prescription.  I get my prescriptions in a 90 day supply and will only about a 30 day supply.  I hate to tote around those huge bottles if I don't have to.

If I was traveling overseas on a cruise, I’d bring the original bottle with a label. Maybe the pharmacy can just fill a 30-day supply (or less) for travel called a “partial fill” and you can get the rest when you are back home. Smaller supply, smaller bottle but still labeled. Just an idea. Better safe than sorry.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, TwinMamainMN said:

If I was traveling overseas on a cruise, I’d bring the original bottle with a label. Maybe the pharmacy can just fill a 30-day supply (or less) for travel called a “partial fill” and you can get the rest when you are back home. Smaller supply, smaller bottle but still labeled. Just an idea. Better safe than sorry.

Doesn't everyone travel "overseas" on a cruise? I thought that was the/a law. ???

When it comes to packing for a cruise, I go by the adage that less is more and more is too much.

I have never needed duct tape or an over the door organizer.  Highlighters and sticky notes aren't needed anymore with the electronic app and the chat feature ($5 each for duration of cruise on Carnival - definitely worth it for us),

things I do bring and use:

a power pack for my phone and one for DH;

a couple of dollar-store disposable plastic ponchos (DH teases me for always bringing them, but the few times we have needed them, he is grateful);

A small yeti-style cup;

Analog watch (actually I wear one every day);

a simple multioutlet adapter

things that don't take up much room but have many uses:

a couple of quart size and gallon size ziplock bags,

a fold up cloth/fiber tote.

Bonine is the best motion sickness pill I have ever taken. Take it every day. Buy enough for the whole cruise. It costs 5 times as much on the ship. 

Highlighter to go over the daily activities. 

good idea to have a back up battery pack now that most ships allow use of phones for apps and on board communication. 

Water proof phone lanyard. 

Towel Clips

chap stick with sun block

Pocket poncho. You can find these at the dollar store. They are typically only good for one use, but they are tiny and inexpensive. 

We now carry a tube of super glue.   Hubby had a pair of sunglasses break and a fellow passenger had super glue and since then it’s been on our permanent packing list in a small bag I pack non essential toiletries to pack.  

Also, a few clothes pins to hold wet bathing suits better on the line over the tub.  

• Like 1

On 2/29/2024 at 12:23 PM, clo said:

Doesn't everyone travel "overseas" on a cruise? I thought that was the/a law. ???

maybe being pedantic - but No.

People in Australia can do cruises around parts of Australia that do not go overseas

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I take pictures of the prescription bottles, but I don't always have the bottles themselves. I have been questioned one time and it was a non issue with the picture of the bottle with the prescription. 

Not sure if that would be a good idea outside of US or caribbean.

either way, you don't have to take your entire bottle of pills if your only going on a 7 day cruise. I save old bottles at my house in the event I am going out of town just to put the extras that I will not need. 

My number one must bring "little" thing for all travel is 2-3 carabiners. You can clip the handled shopping bags that you accumulate in ports to your purse or backpack. I also clip my purse or bag containing any money or passports to whatever it's sitting on - from a luggage cart at the airport to a chair in a sidewalk cafe in Rome. Locked? Secure? Of course not. But you're really only trying to slow someone down so that can't just grab it and keep moving if you turn your head for one second

I can't stand liquid body wash, so I always make room in my cruise suitcase for a bar of soap. 

In addition to emailing yourself copies of your passport, also email yourself copies of your credit cards. Block out partial info and remember it, but make sure that you can read or find all cc numbers, along with domestic and (especially) any international customer service phone numbers so you can immediately deal with a theft or loss

Never fly on the day you sail. Just don't. It's not worth the stress or risk

I have used duct tape on a cruise. On my last transatlantic, we hit some heavy waves. The wonderful easy-glide desk/storage drawer went slide-WHAP. slide-WHAP. slide-WHAP all night long until I finally got up and duct-taped it shut. The cabin steward saw the duct tape the next day and had it tightened. I never even considered asking that anyone fix it.

18 hours ago, Miss Ellsworth said:

My number one must bring "little" thing for all travel is 2-3 carabiners. You can clip the handled shopping bags that you accumulate in ports to your purse or backpack. I also clip my purse or bag containing any money or passports to whatever it's sitting on - from a luggage cart at the airport to a chair in a sidewalk cafe in Rome. Locked? Secure? Of course not. But you're really only trying to slow someone down so that can't just grab it and keep moving if you turn your head for one second

That's a really good idea.  I have one that "lives" on my backpack:  it holds a small analog clock and a tiny flashlight, but I think I'll add a second -- in standard size.  

I always pack into my luggage a reusable tote bag ( it's actually one of my large reusable shopping bags).  Somehow, I always buy too many souvenirs ( large and small) that take up too much room in my luggage.  Doubles as a beach tote if going on a beach excursion as well. Can be used as a laundry hamper as well.

• 3 weeks later...

I always read these type of threads and it is interesting to me to see what "other extra stuff" people bring with them. 

I have been cruising for 20+ years and have never brought many of the items mentioned and to be honest, I don't remember ever missing them either. Never brought duct tape with me or a highlighter. Never brought anything to hang over the door or clothes pins. Never brough a phone lanyard or sticky notes.  Never brought stain remover or a power pack. The only time I can recall bringing a poncho with me was anytime I cruised to Alaska.

I guess I am just a minimalist.  My only most important things are my passport, a couple of credit cands, some cash and my meds.  Different strokes for different folks😀

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Lois R said:

I always read these type of threads and it is interesting to me to see what "other extra stuff" people bring with them. 

I have been cruising for 20+ years and have never brought many of the items mentioned and to be honest, I don't remember ever missing them either. Never brought duct tape with me or a highlighter. Never brought anything to hang over the door or clothes pins. Never brough a phone lanyard or sticky notes.  Never brought stain remover or a power pack. The only time I can recall bringing a poncho with me was anytime I cruised to Alaska.

I guess I am just a minimalist.  My only most important things are my passport, a couple of credit cands, some cash and my meds.  Different strokes for different folks😀

I am also. And I carry two (sometimes three) pairs of shoes 🙂