Vista - Thin Walls Reported on Celebrity Forum

On Vista 18 days cabin 9098 heard a small amount of noise next cabin tv But big pet peeve there are no clocks any where on the ship. No clock in staterooms that we always had since saiing O past 15 years. We ask guest service and got one 2 days later 

No clock at pool no clock at reception no clock in elevators on the screens. 

• Like 2

If you have a cell phone you have a clock (and an alarm clock too !) The latest iphone update turns the screen in to a very visible clock which stays visible when the phone is turned sideways. Makes a great bedside clock when its charging over night.

I also bought a cheap old school analog timex watch for the cruise.  Its waterproof and I plan on setting it for ships time when we embark so I never have to worry about missing any all aboard times in ports.  Don't have to worry about it getting broken/stolen and I don't have to carry my phone around with me. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, thebsinmiss said:

Don't have to worry about it getting broken/stolen and I don't have to carry my phone around with me. 

Reminds me of my DH losing his watch in the Azores; it was a gorgeous Breitland that I had given him for a special occasion.  He is still sick about and thinks when he took of his backpack, it slid down his arm, loosening the leather band.  He did this several times while on an excursion.  You have a great idea that he also does on our cruises/vacations.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

General Comment:

If my very first cruise on Oceania’s Vista has very-loud talkers, blaring TV’s, tons of walkers, along with very thin walls in our PH, I will be one and done; however, that is yet to be seen, or should I say...heard, as the price was exceptional🤷‍♀️

Edited by Lastdance

On 2/29/2024 at 4:54 PM, ak1004 said:

Why people are so concerned about other people hearing them? If you are concerned about hearing others at night, bring earplugs. From what I remember from our previous cruises, most people sleep at night..

Do you sleep with earplugs?  I wear them at work every day, but that would not help me sleep, and is NOT what I expect or will deal with on a vacation.   You are missing the point of this entire thread, that the walls/sound insulation are thinner, and things are louder.   Oh, and it is 2:40am here, and I am not asleep.  Would you want to hear my TV?  (I would not have it on it, to be clear, but many don't think of their neighbors.)

• Like 4

5 hours ago, emd138 said:

Do you sleep with earplugs?  I wear them at work every day, but that would not help me sleep, and is NOT what I expect or will deal with on a vacation.   You are missing the point of this entire thread, that the walls/sound insulation are thinner, and things are louder.   Oh, and it is 2:40am here, and I am not asleep.  Would you want to hear my TV?  (I would not have it on it, to be clear, but many don't think of their neighbors.)

As I posted earlier - is there evidence that proves this vessel was built with different wall a) technology and or b) lower acoustical materials?

Humm, it is a new "class" of vessel, makes me wonder what changes occurred.

Humm, weight and the angst around environment, did Oceania "lighten the load" so to speak?

This is the Main point, because the activity of the occupants is secondary as people talk and play TV loud - ie there are few posts about this.

So, given the normal activity of occupants - is their noise amplified by vessel construction - that is the question.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, QuestionEverything said:

As I posted earlier - is there evidence that proves this vessel was built with different wall a) technology and or b) lower acoustical materials?

Humm, it is a new "class" of vessel, makes me wonder what changes occurred.

Humm, weight and the angst around environment, did Oceania "lighten the load" so to speak?

This is the Main point, because the activity of the occupants is secondary as people talk and play TV loud - ie there are few posts about this.

So, given the normal activity of occupants - is their noise amplified by vessel construction - that is the question.

That is a secondary question. The problem exists on the ship. The reason is an interesting discussion, but relevant point is do you want to cruise on a ship where there is a significant noise problem between the cabins? Oceania is offering a product/ship which has that problem, big time, for many people. Some do not mind. Vista is a beautiful ship. If you are either lucky enough to have very quiet neighbors or the noise doesn't bother you, there is much to enjoy. Does not work for me.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, edgee said:

That is a secondary question. The problem exists on the ship. The reason is an interesting discussion, but relevant point is do you want to cruise on a ship where there is a significant noise problem between the cabins? Oceania is offering a product/ship which has that problem, big time, for many people. Some do not mind. Vista is a beautiful ship. If you are either lucky enough to have very quiet neighbors or the noise doesn't bother you, there is much to enjoy. Does not work for me.

Absolutely does not work for me. Vista is on the "do not fly/book" list now. No way will we consider this ship.

I still would like to know if the vessel construction and or materials is contributing to a systemic noise issue.

• Like 2

On 2/29/2024 at 4:54 PM, ak1004 said:

Why people are so concerned about other people hearing them? If you are concerned about hearing others at night, bring earplugs. From what I remember from our previous cruises, most people sleep at night..

Main problem for us after 27 nights in two different Concierge cabins on Vista was significant noise from TV playing late at night from adjacent cabin. Tried white noise app on phone and opening balcony door to hear sound of ocean. Helped only slightly. Neighbor was cooperative and kept volume very low, but still insisted on playing TV. Bottom line: We could sleep when his TV was off; had trouble when TV was on even at low volume. So he usually turned it off about 11:30 p.m. and back on at 7. So my neighbor in effect decided when I could sleep and when i could not. That is not an acceptable situation. Unfortunately I am seeing on Regent thread that their new Grandeur, built in the same ship yard has the same problem. Really a shame.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, QuestionEverything said:

Absolutely does not work for me. Vista is on the "do not fly/book" list now. No way will we consider this ship.

I still would like to know if the vessel construction and or materials is contributing to a systemic noise issue.

Is it systemic?

There have been reports of noise in some cabins. There are about 600 cabins on the Vista so for the noise issue to be ‘systematic’ you would expect a minimum of, off the top of my head, maybe around 20%? to be noisy. Not sure we can say that in excess  of 100 cabins are affected.

Also, the issue is a bit subjective. My level of noise tolerance may be different to yours. Not sure that the Vista should be declared a ‘no fly zone’ on the evidence here.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, edgee said:

So my neighbor in effect decided when I could sleep and when i could not. That is not an acceptable situation.

It isn't and it's making me apprehensive about our forthcoming Vista cruise. Had I read all these comments before we had fully paid, I believe we would have cancelled. If our sleep is disturbed for a two week period and the cruise ruined in consequence, it will be a very expensive mistake. 

Even if we are fortunate not to be disturbed on this cruise, the risk appears to be quite high and I cannot see us sailing with Vista in the future. 

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Vallesan said:

Is it systemic?

There have been reports of noise in some cabins. There are about 600 cabins on the Vista so for the noise issue to be ‘systematic’ you would expect a minimum of, off the top of my head, maybe around 20%? to be noisy. Not sure we can say that in excess  of 100 cabins are affected.

Also, the issue is a bit subjective. My level of noise tolerance may be different to yours. Not sure that the Vista should be declared a ‘no fly zone’ on the evidence here.

Absolutely should be a "no fly zone" for some folks...for others it is less of a problem. Also the issue of luck plays a part as to how noisy your neighbors are and whether they like to watch tv. 

Vista Oceania Suite 12007-  avoid this cabin unless you don’t normally go to bed until after 12 Midnight!  It is directly under the stage at Horizons, so you will hear the thumpa thumpa thumpa of the bass , getting louder and louder from 6 pm until 12 or later if people are enjoying themselves at the lounge.

There is definitely not enough sound insulation in the ceiling.

These cabins are very expensive and the extremely loud noise is NOT a luxury addition to the experience.

the living room door has an air leak that whistles all day and night while under way too, so consider this when booking.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, emd138 said:

In fact I do sleep with earplugs, for years, in hotels, cruise ships, flights and even at home.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Vallesan said:

Is it systemic?

I was wondering the same thing.

Did they make thinner walls to save money? I don't believe this is the case, but people can believe what they want. Why it's okay for some people and too noisy for others? Is it the location of the TV? The angle?

But if some people declare it a ‘no fly zone’, better for us, as the ships will be less full..

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, makai 7 said:

Vista Oceania Suite 12007-  avoid this cabin unless you don’t normally go to bed until after 12 Midnight!  It is directly under the stage at Horizons, so you will hear the thumpa thumpa thumpa of the bass , getting louder and louder from 6 pm until 12 or later if people are enjoying themselves at the lounge.

There is definitely not enough sound insulation in the ceiling.

These cabins are very expensive and the extremely loud noise is NOT a luxury addition to the experience.

the living room door has an air leak that whistles all day and night while under way too, so consider this when booking.

That must have been an awful experience for you. I guess we should all stick to the old rule ‘choose a cabin with cabins next to, above, and below you’ to stop that sort of thing happening.

1 minute ago, ak1004 said:

I was wondering the same thing.

Did they make thinner walls to save money? I don't believe this is the case, but people can believe what they want. Why it's okay for some people and too noisy for others? Is it the location of the TV? The angle?

But if some people declare it a ‘no fly zone’, better for us, as the ships will be less full..

During recent two cruises on Vista I encountered the noise issue on both in deck 10 and deck 9 forward cabins. Had a few discussions with both reception desk staff and concierge in Concierge Lounge. Was offered a move to another cabin, but they said they could not guarantee the problem would not be the same in another cabin, as the problem is similar throughout the ship. I told them I really liked Vista and if I choose to sail on her again is there any location I could pick where the problem would be less. I also asked about going with a PH level, as cabins are bigger, thus beds are a little farther from neighbor's TV. Was told that, based on their experience with complaints, going with a PH would not solve my problem, same issue throughout the ship. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Interesting, if depressing,  post there, edgee. I think that's the first mention of staff acknowledging that the problem is well known to them and that it's an issue throughout the ship. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, edgee said:

During recent two cruises on Vista I encountered the noise issue on both in deck 10 and deck 9 forward cabins. Had a few discussions with both reception desk staff and concierge in Concierge Lounge. Was offered a move to another cabin, but they said they could not guarantee the problem would not be the same in another cabin, as the problem is similar throughout the ship. I told them I really liked Vista and if I choose to sail on her again is there any location I could pick where the problem would be less. I also asked about going with a PH level, as cabins are bigger, thus beds are a little farther from neighbor's TV. Was told that, based on their experience with complaints, going with a PH would not solve my problem, same issue throughout the ship. 

Interesting!

Maybe there is indeed a ‘systematic’ noise issue. If Regent are having a similar issue I wonder if the ‘modern’ construction methods, to maybe become more environmentally friendly or more efficient, or both, are having an impact on inter cabin noise levels?

The youngest ship I’ve sailed on is the Silver Dawn, just a year older than the Vista, and we never had any noise issues. Maybe a different ship yard. I don’t know.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Vallesan said:

Interesting!

Maybe there is indeed a ‘systematic’ noise issue. If Regent are having a similar issue I wonder if the ‘modern’ construction methods, to maybe become more environmentally friendly or more efficient, or both, are having an impact on inter cabin noise levels?

The youngest ship I’ve sailed on is the Silver Dawn, just a year older than the Vista, and we never had any noise issues. Maybe a different ship yard. I don’t know.

After my recent Vista cruise, I immediately boarded the new Celebrity Ascent. Was in their lowest level suite category...really just a large nice cabin with larger bathroom. Noise issues were non existent. No noise from neighbors and, although they play pleasant but slightly loud music in hallways, our cabin was silent the minute we closed the door. The silence was wonderful, especially contrasted with recent experience on Vista.

• Like 3

It seems most are complaining of tv noises, with a few talking about loud voices from occupants.  If from tv, would placing the diverters I’ve seen mentioned take care of a high percentage of the issues??  If so, how quickly could that be done? Seems like if it is systemic they would want to try to address prior to rolling her out for the ATW.  Also, what other options would be available to address it? Time frame needed? I’m looking at the schedule for Vista it appears only down time is early January 2025 for about 5 days in Miami. 

• Like 1

We were on a January sailing in that unusual PH3 on Deck 7 (#7107).  We did pay attention to what was below us (the entry to the Grand Dining Room) and of course above us were just more staterooms. I have to say we were not bothered by any noise on either side of us, or out in the hallway.  My SIL (our 3rd passenger) had a white noise app playing crickets at night, but if there were TV noise I doubt that would have stopped it.  Maybe we were lucky?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, edgee said:

After my recent Vista cruise, I immediately boarded the new Celebrity Ascent. Was in their lowest level suite category...really just a large nice cabin with larger bathroom. Noise issues were non existent. No noise from neighbors and, although they play pleasant but slightly loud music in hallways, our cabin was silent the minute we closed the door. The silence was wonderful, especially contrasted with recent experience on Vista.

I just wonder, given that the Ascent is a much larger ship, if that had a bearing on noise issues?

30 minutes ago, Vallesan said:

I just wonder, given that the Ascent is a much larger ship, if that had a bearing on noise issues?

Doubt it. IMHO it is the construction. 

• Like 3

Add in the new information regarding the Regent new built, same construction yard as Vista.......

So Regent and Oceania new builds are both owned by NCL corporation.......

Most interesting indeed.

May be coincidence, may be not.

Being they are both new construction, same construction plan and materials?

More lightweight to link to "environmental" objectives?

Let us see how this goes.

• Like 1