newbie question

PEPE1

We are new to cruising.    I am sure my question is common.   We booked an Alaska southbound cruise for June 23, 2024 and the Hubbard Glacier is fully booked.   I was worried about this, wondering if we were very late in booking.   We are considering cancelling and rebooking for a year out.    Someone said that when they get enough people they add another excursion.    I am suspicious of this because given the remoteness of this particular excursion, I am doubt there are many smaller ships available to take us out closer to the glacier.

Any suggestions and recommendations are appreciated.    Thank you in advance!

Hubbard Glacier is a "scenic cruising" on the ship. Not sure there is an excursion there...

Even if there is, the ship gets as close as is safe, and the glacier is massive.

Adding excursions is always a factor of supply, as well as demand. There may not be the ability to add slots on an excursion because the resources don't exist. Some sites are seriously capacity limited.

• Like 1

@PEPE1, welcome to the wonderful world of cruising!

Exactly what excursion are you trying to book?  As @CruiserBruce already explained, Hubbard Glacier is just that, a glacier that you cruise by.  No getting off the ship. 

We were at Hubbard last year. Only excursion available is a catamaran that leaves from the ship and takes you very close to the glacier.  If you can get on the waitlist, it is very worth the cost.

• Like 1

Sorry, I don't remember the actual price just that it was more than I like to pay.  But, I was SO glad we did it as it was worth every penny.  We were very close to the glacier and spent a lot of time on the water.  

It is $310 CDN per person Which I would figure is around $230 USD.

I should have elaborated that yes the catamaran comes alongside the ship and picks up the passengers to get them much closer than the cruise ship.

I am figuring that of all the excursions this would be the hardest to add more excursions.   

Thanks everyone, I don't think there is an easy answer.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PEPE1 said:

We booked an Alaska southbound cruise for June 23, 2024 and the Hubbard Glacier is fully booked.   I was worried about this, wondering if we were very late in booking.   We are considering cancelling and rebooking for a year out. 

I would book for next year, if you are still before Final Payment with refundable deposit, or have cancellation insurance. Next year's Glacier Discovery is still in Early Booking Bonus availability, with Crew Appreciation included as well as upgraded beverage package and wifi.

• Thanks 1

As an earlier post mentioned, get on the HAL Shore Excursions Wait List.  It costs you nothing upfront, and there is no obligation if seats open up.

I suggest you go on the roll call for this cruise and see what others are doing.  There may be some non ship excursions that you would like.  Many times fellow passengers have organized private tours that are as good, if not better, than the ship excursions.  They can be less expensive and with fewer people.  Just a suggestion, Cherie

Now would be considered a little late for a full choice of summer 2024 ship excursions. But in most ports you can explore on your own on foot or pick up whale-watching tours once you step on shore. So just know that going in. The odds are you'll love Alaska cruising so much that you'll do it again, and again!

This is the only possible excursion at Hubbard Glacier. If you don't get on it, and there is no additional departure for the catamaran, then you see some great views from the ship. 

I took the excursion the first time it was offered, after having been to Hubbard Glacier several times. It is a totally different experience; but I can recommend both. If you have never been to Alaska before, you will be thrilled with the sights whatever you do. 

I suggest you check the hours you are there to determine if there is even time for HAL to add another departure. I am betting there is not, but that's just an educated guess. 

Thank you Ruth.   I was afraid that might be the answer.   I will consider whether we delay by 1 year or proceed as is.   Since I have no urgency to go to Alaska in 2024 I am quite on the fence. 

Thanks all. 

5 minutes ago, PEPE1 said:

Thank you Ruth.   I was afraid that might be the answer.   I will consider whether we delay by 1 year or proceed as is.   Since I have no urgency to go to Alaska in 2024 I am quite on the fence. 

Thanks all. 

We have been pretty lucky (knock on wood) that many of the waitlists that we were on cleared and we have been able to take the excursions. There's no guarantee, of course, so I guess my telling you this is pretty meaningless! And the excursion at the Hubbard is unusual, as it doesn't see to depend on outside factors; our Alaska cruise didn't go to Hubbard. 

On 2/29/2024 at 6:30 PM, PEPE1 said:

Thanks all. 

Sounds like there is a great early booking deal as presented above if you wait. However, you will need to constantly check for the Hubbard shore excursion, because sometimes they are not listed until later, and by the time you keep checking in they may have already been fully booked.

We just had that happen on a long Westerdam cruise - hardly any shore excursions offered at all except for a few in Alaska, which were mostly fully booked by the time we signed up with 8 more months to go. Someone had been watching for the Alaska shore excursions well before we had signed up.  But we are all  still waiting for shore excursions  to get posted for Japan.  Just a few have trickled in - 6 months to go. 

Looks like there is a Shore Excursion Fairy too, that operates on her own whim and time schedule. So book mark your cruises and check constantly for the Hubbard exclusion if you do sign up for next year. 

Whoo, whoo. I took my own advice and checked to see if there are any new shore excursions showing up for our Sept Westerdam Japan cruise - lo and behold, it is also offering the Hubbard catamaran - which just got added:  $309  So you never know when this will be offered. 

Screenshot 2024-03-01 at 8.51.04 PM.png

• Like 2

Since you’re on a southbound cruise, my suggestion is to go on the 26 Glacier Cruise offered by Phillips out of Whittier (HAL may also offer it as an excursion).  It is a spectacular cruise.  You will get that up close glacier viewing.  The glacier cruise docks adjacent to your HAL vessel so it’s easy to embark and start your southbound journey.

https://phillipscruises.com/26-glacier-cruise/#

• Like 2