Embarkation Time

We are scheduled for 1:00-1:30. Will they allow us on board prior to our scheduled arrival time? What is the earliest time people can board on Harmony of the Seas? 

Last time I had 11 am boarding but was onboard by 10:15. Sometimes they run earlier than what's on your time. I get there about 30 minutes before my time to get in line and all that.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

When the post pandemic restart commenced, they enforced the times.  In recent cruises they have not been as rigid and we have been able to board immediately if we arrived early.  It may vary by ship and port, or how many are in the queue when you arrive, but they don't seem to be enforcing it as rigidly any more. 

That being said, it goes quickly by way of the queue which seems to work better than the past free for alls, and you certainly won't be delayed if you follow your time slot.  Who knows what they would do, however, if too many people start jumping their times - lol.

The typical first boarding time is 11:00 in our experience.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 1

Thank you both! Really helpful input. Trying to juggle arrival time, so nice to know we can arrive early and keep our fingers crossed that they allow us to board ahead of our time. 

Happy sailing! 

The check in times are for capacity management.   It is to help minimize the line ups.   If there are no line ups they process you right away.  When there are big line ups they will enforce the times.

Ultimately they want to get you on board as quick as possible so they won't make you wait unless they have to.

The only other thing to keep in mind is to dress for the weather just in case they are running late for some reason.

People late to get off the previous cruise, and the ship not being cleared, held me up in Cape Liberty, NJ, the beginning of January this year.  Their check-in computer system was also down.  By 10:45am there were hundreds of us (like the line was over a block long) standing out in the very windy 37-degree weather with a 10 degree wind chill factor. My "windward" ear got frostbitten, because I dumbly thought I would go in through the Suite/Pinnacle entrance (that wasn't there). My ear lobe looked like it was going to fall off for several days until make up could hide the mess. Headband and gloves permanently in my travel accessories now.

Customs and Immigration can also hold up clearing the ship for the previous cruise.

Also, most of us know what it's like standing outside in Miami and Fort Lauderdale when it's hot.

• Like 1

Your scheduled time is arrival time at the terminal for check in.   Not boarding time.   

Actual boarding time can be delayed for many various reasons.   Medical emergency, Coast Guard inspections, Noro or Covid outbreak, mechanical issues...etc.   You will simply sit inside the terminal (if there is room)...if not...you will stand outside the terminal in line. 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, island lady said:

Your scheduled time is arrival time at the terminal for check in.   Not boarding time.   

Actual boarding time can be delayed for many various reasons.   Medical emergency, Coast Guard inspections, Noro or Covid outbreak, mechanical issues...etc.   You will simply sit inside the terminal (if there is room)...if not...you will stand outside the terminal in line. 

You are correct that the times are check in times.  However, since they started the check in time queues, we have only been delayed and not gone directly on board once after we checked in. That one time occurred when we were scheduled with the first check in time and the ship was delayed in disembarking the prior itinerary's final passengers. We waited in the seating lounge upstairs where there was plenty of room for about 15 minutes.  We then boarded.  Otherwise we have always gone directly on board once checked in. 

This, at least, has been our experience over at least eight cruises since that started from three different embarkation ports. 

• Like 1

If it's bad weather outside, either hot or cold, all I care about is getting INSIDE. I don't really care what time I board.

Seriously, that's what a Kindle library on my iphone is for!

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, leaveitallbehind said:

You are correct that the times are check in times.  However, since they started the check in time queues, we have only been delayed and not gone directly on board once after we checked in. That one time occurred when we were scheduled with the first check in time and the ship was delayed in disembarking the prior itinerary's final passengers. We waited in the seating lounge upstairs where there was plenty of room for about 15 minutes.  We then boarded.  Otherwise we have always gone directly on board once checked in. 

This, at least, has been our experience over at least eight cruises since that started from three different embarkation ports. 

Post Covid.  

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, island lady said:

Post Covid.  

That is the timeframe to which I am mainly referring. We have not been delayed post covid other than the one time that I mentioned, which was the result of a slightly delayed disembarkation from the prior cruise.

With that one exception, in our experience as referenced, the check in timing queues have worked well and have facilitated a smooth check in and direct boarding process without delay.

8 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

That is the timeframe to which I am mainly referring. We have not been delayed post covid other than the one time that I mentioned, which was the result of a slightly delayed disembarkation from the prior cruise.

With that one exception, in our experience as referenced, the check in timing queues have worked well and have facilitated a smooth check in and direct boarding process without delay.

I actually don't pay much attention to them.  I pick my check in time early, and being in a suite and being Pinnacle...I just check in when I want.   Most times we simply walk right onto the ship after check in, since we get there later than the general boarding times usually.  

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, island lady said:

I actually don't pay much attention to them.  I pick my check in time early, and being in a suite and being Pinnacle...I just check in when I want.   Most times we simply walk right onto the ship after check in, since we get there later than the general boarding times usually.  

Then I guess I'm missing the point of your posts! 

2 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Then I guess I'm missing the point of your posts! 

My posts are simply heads up for pax asking about trying to get on earlier than their check in time and to let them know there can be delays.  

Me?  If I am cruising out of PC, I arrive early...drop our bags with the porters, park and then walk over to Grills for relaxing Bloody Marys on their deck while the masses fight their way through the lines.  Then we saunter later over to check in when the lines thin down.  

Oh yeah, this was the stress we went through before boarding Wonder last week.  Just awful.  😄

20240225_095646.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have a similar question about embarkation times for CAPE LIBERTY in Bayone NJ port.  The earliest check-in available was 12:30-1, and the ship departs at 3pm. (I checked in online on the first day it became available to do so...)

I would certainly like to arrive at the pier much earlier (around 11AM).  I know in the past the embarkation times were not checked, but have not cruised out of Bayonne in a few years.  Does anyone have CURRENT info on whether the port staff check the boarding times on your paperwork?

Thanks.

14 minutes ago, lumpkin8 said:

Does anyone have CURRENT info on whether the port staff check the boarding times on your paperwork?

Very unlikely for check in times to be enforced.

Just now, lumpkin8 said:

Biker19, is this from your current experience at the Bayonne port?

A few months ago and from reporting here on CC. Somone could tell you that there was no enforcement on this weeks' sailing and there could be on yours. Again, go with the overall reporting trend.

3 hours ago, lumpkin8 said:

I have a similar question about embarkation times for CAPE LIBERTY in Bayone NJ port.  The earliest check-in available was 12:30-1, and the ship departs at 3pm. (I checked in online on the first day it became available to do so...)

I would certainly like to arrive at the pier much earlier (around 11AM).  I know in the past the embarkation times were not checked, but have not cruised out of Bayonne in a few years.  Does anyone have CURRENT info on whether the port staff check the boarding times on your paperwork?

Thanks.

I don't think you can be assured of an early check in, but I also agree that it may not be an issue at that port.  Our last experience from there was July '22 and it was not being strictly enforced then.  But that is no guarantee. Sorry I can't provide any more current direct experience.  But let me know as we are sailing from there again this June and I am just curious.