Labadee?

46 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

and what are they going to steal in Labadee? What is the profiteering motive to overtake the peninsula? 

Imagine if a crew of armed criminals overruns the peninsula, and makes it on-board. Just imagine how much money is in various staterooms. And there will be no help coming, at least not for hours, and hours. I'm not saying this will happen, but it definitely could happen. And it's up to RC to determine the risk factor here.

For the record, I doubt that the ship will set sail leaving passengers behind if there's an incursion in the Labadee area. But what do I know?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, smokeybandit said:

RC, which has millions of dollars on the line and surely has its creditors and insurers looking at every world news story, thinks it's still safe to go there.

They care only in the most basic sense that they want to ensure that they don't lose money. Don't kid yourself into believing that they care about the people on board that ship or resort any farther than it would cost them in insurance claims and lawsuit settlements. 

It would be a mistake to bet your life or the life of your family based on faith in the decision making process of corporations. Never underestimate the overconfidence and stupidity of groupthink and corporations and their willingness to sacrifice people for profits. 

Don't forget the Titanic, the Titan submersible or the recall math from fight club.... 

Edited by JackKirby
  • Like 4

Posted (edited)

4k escaped prisoners represents only 0.03% of Haiti's population.  Now free why would they desire to remain in one of the poorest nations in the world?  More likely looking for a boat.  Those who stay are now facing Haitian army as well as national police. Kenya has offered 1k police and  Haiti's Caribbean neighbors are willing to assist too.

Feel much safer in Labadee than some of the other Caribbean ports we've been in, notably Jamaican and Mexican.

Edited by Baron Barracuda

1 hour ago, not-enough-cruising said:

and what are they going to steal in Labadee? What is the profiteering motive to overtake the peninsula? 

You lack imagination. 

Do you have any idea how poor of a country Haiti actually is? 

1 hour ago, JackKirby said:

You lack imagination. 

Do you have any idea how poor of a country Haiti actually is? 

I know exactly how poor the country is; I have done several medical missions there, one of them following the last big earthquake.
It doesn’t change the fact that there is very little of value for revolutionaries in Labadee to justify the trek. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JackKirby said:

They care only in the most basic sense that they want to ensure that they don't lose money. Don't kid yourself into believing that they care about the people on board that ship or resort any farther than it would cost them in insurance claims and lawsuit settlements. 

Don't forget the recall math from fight club.... 

OK, even if that's true. The PR nightmare from any attack on Labadee would cost them a lot more than insurance claims and lawsuit settlements. The fact they aren't pulling out says a lot.

• Thanks 1

Look I only posted because I feel like some individuals were being extremely naive in dismissing even the slightest possibility that given the circumstances that something bad COULD actually happen. 

It probably won't but all I'm saying is no one expects a tragedy until it happens. Everyone has to use thier own best judgment regarding thier own lives and safety. 

And I urge anyone to rely on themselves not others to keep themselves and their loved ones safe. 

Best wishes to all. 

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, exm said:

Imagine if a crew of armed criminals overruns the peninsula, and makes it on-board. Just imagine how much money is in various staterooms. And there will be no help coming, at least not for hours, and hours. I'm not saying this will happen, but it definitely could happen. And it's up to RC to determine the risk factor here.

For the record, I doubt that the ship will set sail leaving passengers behind if there's an incursion in the Labadee area. But what do I know?

This could happen at any port stop. Most of the Caribbean countries RC visits have a significant crime issue.

3 hours ago, petuniaflower said:

Is there any idea IF Labadee was cancelled, where it would port in lieu of?  

It could be a sea day.  If this were a longer disruption, since the Dominican Republic and Haiti are on the same island, that would be  a very close substitution geographically  if there is room (Carnival owns a port in Puerto Plata that can hold two cruise ships, which they will rent out whenever there is space.  There's a second port in Puerto Plata too).  

5 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

This could happen at any port stop. Most of the Caribbean countries RC visits have a significant crime issue.

Most Caribbean countries have at least some sort of a working police force and military, although corrupt to a certain degree. Here you have an armed rebellion, yes, a real insurrection.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BND said:

Labadee is heavily guarded.  

A flimsy chain link fence that can easily be breached. A couple of rent-a-cop type guards armed with light arms and very limited ammo they carry with them. Totally unguarded beaches from the sea. No defense structure and obstacles anywhere to fight from. No hope of reinforcement from Haitian police. How long do you think these guards can hold out before they run away or are overrun?

• Like 2

20 hours ago, rolloman said:

I would not be surprised if a few showed up to sell some trinkets they made while in jail. 

I don't mean to make light of the subject because we'll be there in a couple of weeks, but whatever the reason for the stuff that goes on in my head, my first thought was "Toilet wine!".

Seriously, though. Thanks to everyone who's posting about the situation. We still have enough time to cancel if we must.

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, BLiles1961 said:

I don't mean to make light of the subject because we'll be there in a couple of weeks, but whatever the reason for the stuff that goes on in my head, my first thought was "Toilet wine!".

Seriously, though. Thanks to everyone who's posting about the situation. We still have enough time to cancel if we must.

Just stay on the ship imo if you are worried. Dont have to decide now. I think I go there over xmas day. Long time from now. I'll just wait about getting off the ship. I did book that ship that cruises along the coast a bit ove done before I would cancel if I'm worried.

2 hours ago, schooner_Drinker said:

Already posted, but these are stock photos of the top notch level 6 security around Labadee 

Ive seen security at Costco much better than this.

They have automatic weapons at Costco? That is a photo of the office. Possibly where employees enter. There are heavily armed, uniformed  men at the gates.Also at Dragons Head on the shore.

1 hour ago, sfaaa said:

A flimsy chain link fence that can easily be breached. A couple of rent-a-cop type guards armed with light arms and very limited ammo they carry with them. Totally unguarded beaches from the sea. No defense structure and obstacles anywhere to fight from. No hope of reinforcement from Haitian police. How long do you think these guards can hold out before they run away or are overrun?

Again I have seen men with heavy automatic weapons by the gate and they are also at the other end by Dragons Head.. 

1 minute ago, Charles4515 said:

Again I have seen men with heavy automatic weapons by the gate and they are also at the other end by Dragons Head.. 

Perhaps but one or two AK 47 with a single 30 round mag carried by these guards is anything but heavy or scary. Haitian gangs have plenty of AR type rifles to counter plus belt fed MGs and even 50 cal sniper rifles capable to shoot down helicopters and piece through armored trucks used by Haitian police. It's a total mismatch and one-sided fight.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

They have automatic weapons at Costco? That is a photo of the office. Possibly where employees enter. There are heavily armed, uniformed  men at the gates.Also at Dragons Head on the shore.

You and I have either not been to the same Labadee or we have very different views on what heavily armed means. I do plenty of walking and never seen what you are describing.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, sfaaa said:

Perhaps but one or two AK 47 with a single 30 round mag carried by these guards is anything but heavy or scary. Haitian gangs have plenty of AR type rifles to counter plus belt fed MGs and even 50 cal sniper rifles capable to shoot down helicopters and piece through armored trucks used by Haitian police. It's a total mismatch and one-sided fight.

So don’t go there. No one is forcing you. By that I don’t mean stay on the ship. Don’t go with Labadee on the itinerary. 

13 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

You and I have either not been to the same Labadee or we have very different views on what heavily armed means. I do plenty of walking and never seen what you are describing.

As I said to the previous poster. You don’t have to take an itinerary with Labadee. No one is forcing anyone. Plenty of other itineraries. 

3 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

There are automatic weapons everywhere at my local airport here in the good 'ole USA. Should I not be going there?

Unfortunately there are gangs and gang shootings in the city here and it is supposed to be one of the safest cities in the US. In the last 30 years no violence at Labadee.  

5 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Food...jewelry, hostage for ransom...

• Like 1