Labadee?

Just now, Shannon12 said:

With the jailbreaks in Haiti releasing over 4000 prisoners what are the odds that Royal would skip port? Just wondering hypothetically.

Was wondering the same thing. 

"A United Nations’ source said Sunday that around 3,500 prisoners are believed to have escaped Haiti’s National Penitentiary in Port-Au-Prince during the weekend."

According to the report, the total prison population was 3,687. Almost all inmates escaped. 

• Like 3

I don't think some understand exactly where Labadee is in relation to the really populated areas and how far it i from Port Au Prince.   It's 130 miles.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Odds are near zero. "Real" Haiti sadly is a mess and has been for a long time.

Oh I know that, but this an anomoly even with all the horrible stuff they already have to deal with.

• Like 1

my wife just messaged me worrying about this, we are in labadee in a months time. I am sure RC will only go to port and only honour excursions if they are deemed as safe. I personally wouldn't want to be a guinea pig and go there in the next few days however whilst they are monitoring and making that call.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, mashisback said:

my wife just messaged me worrying about this, we are in labadee in a months time. I am sure RC will only go to port and only honour excursions if they are deemed as safe. I personally wouldn't want to be a guinea pig and go there in the next few days however whilst they are monitoring and making that call.

Labadee is a walled of snippet of land far from Port Au Prince.  There's no "guinea pig" needed. There's always something going on in Port Au Prince, but never anything on the other side of the country.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, smokeybandit said:

Labadee is a walled of snippet of land far from Port Au Prince.  There's no "guinea pig" needed. There's always something going on in Port Au Prince, but never anything on the other side of the country.

I get that, and im not overly worried personally, 

however.... it sounds like it has become lawless over their and with 1000's of prisoners escaping and gangs running the show, surely it would be ignorant to think things could not effect somewhere in the same country just because there are walls and guards.

Dont get me wrong I am far from knowledgable in this... but after seeing some of the most advanced places breaking into wars etc, my perception of safe and stable areas has changed.

• Like 6

Haiti has been lawless for years.

Until all this violence spills outside the city, there's really no reason for RC to do anything.

RC has canceled port stops there due to political unrest. Once was due to a few small boats at the port staging a peaceful protest and the other was when RC had recently restarted trips to Labadee after covid.

• Like 2

Do a web search for the time it takes to drive from Port Au Prince to Labadee.  While it’s just 120 miles it takes 6 to 7 hours to drive because of the road conditions.   It may as well be 500 miles away.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Anton said:

Do a web search for the time it takes to drive from Port Au Prince to Labadee.  While it’s just 120 miles it takes 6 to 7 hours to drive because of the road conditions.   It may as well be 500 miles away.

And the crime there is very opportunistic. While you can't say never, the benefit of trying to cross the country to storm a fortified beach really isn't there for them.

1 hour ago, Anton said:

You beat me to it. 

IMG_3430.thumb.jpeg.8db0b59e79cc2e9ade5251360133a032.jpeg

57 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

And the crime there is very opportunistic. While you can't say never, the benefit of trying to cross the country to storm a fortified beach really isn't there for them.

I agree.  The locals also benefit greatly from having RC stopping.  IMO the Labadee “Crime bosses” would do their best to protect their part of Haiti from the criminals from afar. RC will never return if there is a violent situation.

• Like 1

Precovid, there was some talk of rc allowing tours into mainland Haiti to see the real island.  It was deemed too dangerous then, and certainly is now.  I really would have liked to visit an orphanage or school and dropped off supplies but it’s definitely not an option currently.  

• Like 1

The issue for me in the UK is finding someone who will insure me to go there- most won't insure the entire trip just by spending one day in Haiti, and there is no way on earth I would fly to the USA / Caribbean without travel insurance.  

29 minutes ago, gavvy said:

The issue for me in the UK is finding someone who will insure me to go there- most won't insure the entire trip just by spending one day in Haiti, and there is no way on earth I would fly to the USA / Caribbean without travel insurance.  

RCI doesn't offer trip insurance for the UK?

No they do not, and almost all UK travel insurance do not cover travel to any country where the FCO advises against travel.

Most also void the entire policy if you visit a country on the no-travel list as well, something I only found out recently.

6 hours ago, Tatka said:

Oh, don’t worry, they won’t stay in Haiti for long. 

Yep, our son is a Border Patrol Agent. Shop talk is that many will be crossing the Texas or Arizona border within a month. Easy for them to fly into Mexico and join a caravan.

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, gavvy said:

No they do not, and almost all UK travel insurance do not cover travel to any country where the FCO advises against travel.

Most also void the entire policy if you visit a country on the no-travel list as well, something I only found out recently.

Tell them you have stayed on the ship.

2 minutes ago, Monk86 said:

Tell them you have stayed on the ship.

I'm not sure that would count. Granted when they medivac from the ship in Labadee you get taken to the DR (happened recently I think), but I would think access to medical services would be part of the reason to not cover Haiti visits.

The country has been trashed for years, Labadee is basically a private island for most purposes. It's an awesome stop, but certainly feel for the country in general. Talking to the vendors in the craft area a few months ago, things are pretty bleak.

I booked a cruise this fall that stops in Labadee, Grand Cayman, and George 

Town.  I booked this trip because it fit everyone’s schedule, I could get 3 handicapped cabins for my mom who is 82 and her sisters who are 80. 

Labadee is a walled fortress.  You can only book excursions inside the fortified privately owned area.  

the other two ports off excursions that are through the cruise. They have a vested interest in keeping us safe as having people killed or kidnapped on their excursions would be very very bad for their multi-billion dollar bottom line. 

Plus, all 3 of our moms are in their 80’s and we have to rent scooters for them.  Like I don’t even know if they will

Have enough energy to get off the boat.  I need to lose 80 pounds. I said to one of my other cousins, who is about like me, “you it isn’t often that I  in a group where I am one of the most physically fit people.”   You gotta find the glory where you can. LOL 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I am going to Labadee tomorrow on Symphony. I am not worried at all about tomorrow. 

We were there on a B2B2B and visited each cruise.  We had a wonderful time.  Enjoy!

• Like 1