Pre-cruise hotel and NYC recommendations etc

Pie

Hey everyone - I'm looking for hotel recommendations and maybe some NYC insight as well.  

June 1-2 2024 with 4 adults so I'm figuring 2 rooms (me, husband, daughter, MIL (ages 31-72). Price range abt $500 and under. I need it to be clean.  Also a decent size shower.  Its just one night, but I am a little picky with hotels.  Flying into LGA early Sat morning, cruise (MCT) on Sunday.  Will have a driver pick us up.  Will also arrange a tour of a few highlights with them as well  so primarily looking for any hotel recommendations and dinner and maybe some evening suggestions (not a broadway show).  Nothing crazy fancy, just good food, preferably comfortable. Don't necessarily want to wait in long lines, but if its worth it no biggie. We have done Black Tap previously.    I am more of "where the locals go" but the other 3 really want touristy and Times square stuff. My MIL feels its prob the only time she'll get to NYC so a little bucket listy for her prob. I do use a small scooter (smartscoot) to get around and fully get that there may be some places that I cant get into, I'm also resourceful though so there's that. I do research stuff to death myself, so using this as a tool as well.  Just came across "resort fee's" yesterday so that was a surprise.  Do all NYC hotels have that charge?? Hubby wants to do ESB, not sure which is better that or Top of the Rock. Sorry if this is all discombobulated, appreciate any thoughts/recommendations or "don't waste time going there or doing that" etc. 

2 hours ago, Pie said:

Price range abt $500 and under. I need it to be clean.  Also a decent size shower.  Its just one night, but I am a little picky with hotels.

A few thoughts here. My first thought for hotel is actually the Hotel Michelangelo. It's on 51st Street just outside of Times Square. It's going to be at the top of your range depending on what room and package you book. For instance right now you can book their "Sweet Suite" package that includes a Junior Suite and a very nice breakfast for two. $485. There will be taxes and yes, the dreaded "destination fee" on top of that. They have other options like a bed and breakfast rate, but the big room with breakfast is pretty nice. Breakfast can get pricy in Manhattan, so account for that in the hotel price. Bathrooms have tubs, which can be tricky. The main entrance has 2-3 steps, but I'm pretty sure they have an accessible option as well.

There are plenty of other hotels. $500/room (is that right?) gets you a lot of options. Depends a lot on whether you want modern or traditional, and whether you have chain preferences. The more info you have, the better answers you'll get.

2 hours ago, Pie said:

hotel recommendations and dinner and maybe some evening suggestions (not a broadway show).  Nothing crazy fancy, just good food, preferably comfortable.

Dinner is complicated. Really need more information. You can, for instance, eat at a Michelin 3-star restaurant across the street from the Michelangelo (Le Bernardin) and priced accordingly.  You can also eat the same meal or something a bit simpler in their lounge. That's a bucket list for a lot of people, and a lot of people have never heard of it. You probably need to nail down the hotel to get good dining recommendations nearby. Price range, cuisine, and your preferences kick in here. 

3 hours ago, Pie said:

Just came across "resort fee's" yesterday so that was a surprise.  Do all NYC hotels have that charge??

Not all, but many. Maybe even most. It's become a major annoyance...

3 hours ago, Pie said:

Hubby wants to do ESB, not sure which is better that or Top of the Rock.

A subject of long debate around here. The ESB has the history. Top of the Rock has almost the same view, and you can actually get a good view of the ESB from the Top of the Rock. As with most hard questions, it depends...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Pie said:

June 1-2 2024 with 4 adults so I'm figuring 2 rooms (me, husband, daughter, MIL (ages 31-72). Price range abt $500 and under. I need it to be clean.  Also a decent size shower.  Its just one night, but I am a little picky with hotels. 

Is that $500 for both rooms or $500 per room? The good news is that, while not the low season, rooms for that night aren't stratospheric by New York standards. 

Some that might be in your budget I would look at are the Intercontinental The Barclay, The Library Hotel, The Edition Times Square (I don't usually recommend staying in Times Square since I think its the 10th circle of he!! but its a great hotel that is close to the MCT), New York Palace, and Le Meridien Central Park. 

13 hours ago, Pie said:

dinner and maybe some evening suggestions (not a broadway show).  Nothing crazy fancy, just good food, preferably comfortable. Don't necessarily want to wait in long lines, but if its worth it no biggie. We have done Black Tap previously.    I am more of "where the locals go"

If you are willing to jump in a cab or Uber and head downtown a bit either Raouls or Minetta Tavern would fit into not crazy fancy but where locals go. Gramercy Tavern and Union Square Cafe are getting a little fancier but still comfortable. The previous poster mentioned Le Bernardin-- truly excellent but you are in the realm of white table cloth fine dining. They do have a nice lounge if you want to pop in for some lighter bites and a drink but forgo the whole dinner. Harry Cipriani is one of my favorites over the years in Midtown-- its like taking a trip to Venice. Pricey but consistently very good. 

Some bucket list fun stuff in Midtown-- consider drinks at The King Cole Bar at The St Regis Hotel or at Bemelmans Bar at The Carlyle on the Upper East Side. Bemelmans, while expensive, has a cover for the nightly music but its dramatically less expensive than the Cafe Carlyle across the hallway. 

13 hours ago, Pie said:

Just came across "resort fee's" yesterday so that was a surprise.  Do all NYC hotels have that charge??

Its fairly standard although they do try and provide "benefits" with it. For example, they'll charge you $45 a night but you get a $45 credit at the bar, free dry cleaning, and something else. That sort of set up. 

13 hours ago, Pie said:

Hubby wants to do ESB, not sure which is better that or Top of the Rock.

Both of them are sort of touristy wastes of time but personally would do Top of the Rock over ESB-- much better views over Central Park. The new skinny skyscrapers that have gone up have diluted ESB's views in my opinion. 

• Like 1

We travel to NYC frequently for cruises and shows. We stay at the Courtyard at 54th and Broadway (address is 1717 Broadway). It is about half way between Times Square and Central Park. 

We frequently have dinner at DJ's Irish Pub at 57th and 9th. It has a fairly local clientele. For breakfast we avoid the hotel's buffet and head over to the Apple Jack Diner at 55th and Broadway. There are definitely many from out of town eating there but it has a real NYC diner atmosphere. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Hi. Maybe a starting point is to decide if you want to do ESB or Top of the Rock. If you do Top of the Rock you will be able to view the ESB and get it in your pics. There are nice enough hotels near the ESB or Rock Center. Personally Rock Center area a bit nicer and more to see right there. 

Edited by Got2Cruise
  • Like 1

LOTS of Broadway shows to consider.  You can usually sit in the nosebleeds for under $99 for most shows (not Hamilton), but for good seats expect to pay near $200/seat or more.  With other options priced in between.

Go to a site like Show Score to read up on your options and see what other folks and professional reviewers have said about the shows.   They also have Off Broadway options, which usually are lower cost.  There are also many legit Broadway discount sites you can buy tix from (again, not Hamilton).  TripAdvisor has a great Broadway discount question on the right side of the NYC forum page

Just now, princeton123211 said:

OP said "not a Broadway show"

Oops.  Misread the wall of text.

In my defense, I did suggest an Off Broadway show, too.  😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 3/4/2024 at 11:18 PM, markeb said:

A few thoughts here. My first thought for hotel is actually the Hotel Michelangelo. It's on 51st Street just outside of Times Square. It's going to be at the top of your range depending on what room and package you book. For instance right now you can book their "Sweet Suite" package that includes a Junior Suite and a very nice breakfast for two. $485. There will be taxes and yes, the dreaded "destination fee" on top of that. They have other options like a bed and breakfast rate, but the big room with breakfast is pretty nice. Breakfast can get pricy in Manhattan, so account for that in the hotel price. Bathrooms have tubs, which can be tricky. The main entrance has 2-3 steps, but I'm pretty sure they have an accessible option as well.

There are plenty of other hotels. $500/room (is that right?) gets you a lot of options. Depends a lot on whether you want modern or traditional, and whether you have chain preferences. The more info you have, the better answers you'll get.

Dinner is complicated. Really need more information. You can, for instance, eat at a Michelin 3-star restaurant across the street from the Michelangelo (Le Bernardin) and priced accordingly.  You can also eat the same meal or something a bit simpler in their lounge. That's a bucket list for a lot of people, and a lot of people have never heard of it. You probably need to nail down the hotel to get good dining recommendations nearby. Price range, cuisine, and your preferences kick in here. 

Not all, but many. Maybe even most. It's become a major annoyance...

A subject of long debate around here. The ESB has the history. Top of the Rock has almost the same view, and you can actually get a good view of the ESB from the Top of the Rock. As with most hard questions, it depends...

Thanks everyone! I appreciate you taking the time to respond. 

We, too, have stayed at The Michelangelo Hotel in NYC prior to a cruise.  Very nice hotel, in a great location.  We have also stayed at the Marriott Marquis a few times.  

We have enjoyed dinner at Gallagher’s Steakhouse, Becco, Joe Allen’s and my favorite, Raoul’s.  I was with my adult son and we took an Uber from Times Square to Raoul’s.  My first Uber!  Ha!  One of the best meals I’ve ever had, with a wonderful ambiance.  Love NYC!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/15/2024 at 7:29 AM, antmaril said:

We, too, have stayed at The Michelangelo Hotel in NYC prior to a cruise.  Very nice hotel, in a great location.  We have also stayed at the Marriott Marquis a few times.  

We have enjoyed dinner at Gallagher’s Steakhouse, Becco, Joe Allen’s and my favorite, Raoul’s.  I was with my adult son and we took an Uber from Times Square to Raoul’s.  My first Uber!  Ha!  One of the best meals I’ve ever had, with a wonderful ambiance.  Love NYC!

You just talked about our favorite hotel and a few of my favorite restaurants we normally do Becco’s twice , Gallaghers is also a fantastic bar .have the big 800 sq Ft suite again at michealanglo 😁

5 minutes ago, George C said:

You just talked about our favorite hotel and a few of my favorite restaurants we normally do Becco’s twice , Gallaghers is also a fantastic bar .have the big 800 sq Ft suite again at michealanglo 😁

Nice!  Enjoy!  

• Like 1