College spring break

I'm  planning a girls trip next year with 8-10 women.  Due to fear of flying, we are restricted to cruising from NY which leaves little choice.  Looking at a cruise to Bahamas.  The only Feb. date available is during presidents week which we don't want because of spring break...  I'm looking at 3/9-15 but I'm wondering if the shop will be full of college spring break kids.  Does anyone  have experience cruising at this time?

I’d risk the college kids in march, presidents week is very popular here for family vacations, many college students chose cheaper options with friends, there are many college students under the age of 21 who chose destinations with lower drinking ages, for cheaper.

41 minutes ago, njkate said:

Spring break is scattered between mid Feb to mid Apr. You will either have a bunch of college kids or families with kids

Thanks.    Was hoping there was a week or so in there without either.  

4 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

I’d risk the college kids in march, presidents week is very popular here for family vacations, many college students chose cheaper options with friends, there are many college students under the age of 21 who chose destinations with lower drinking ages, for cheaper.

Thanks.   I don't mind some kids... I just don't want to be bombarded.  Just so limited because of 1 person.  It's understandable but very frustrating 

I live about 20 minutes from cape liberty and manhattan cruise terminal, I have 5 kids who’ve either graduated college or are in college (heading to Denmark/Italy/Mexico for break, 25 year old heading to Boston this weekend). I don’t recall hearing about any of their friends cruising for spring break, and 4 attended NJ colleges. Here’s a long list https://www.studentcity.com/plan-a-trip/when-is-my-spring-break/

I don't normally do this, because honestly most folks don't need one...you should really consult a travel agent. 

Take a look at travel agents in the tri-state area and see if you can find a local agency that could help you. It'll be so much easier than you being the group leader! If they charge you fees, run away. A travel agent should always be free and if they're not...well you don't want them. And I mean any fees (I don't buy the little fees some legit agencies have started charging).

If you don't want to go the travel agent route, it sounds like you may be able to qualify for a group price. Give NCL's group number a call to discuss.

Good luck and let us know how the lady's week goes!!

Our first cruise was over Spring Break a few years back.  We were on the Epic and knew it was going to be crowded but were kind of concerned about it being a "booze cruise" because of it being Spring Break.  

We were totally wrong.  Yes, there was a large Spring Break crowd but they were well behaved and we had no issues.  The ship was large enough where we could find seats on the deck.  I want to say we ran into students from Clemson, Texas A&M and a few other large schools.  

Since my kids were in school at the time, we had to be selective on when we cruised and booked another one the same time the year after.  No issues then either.  

Last March I made the mistake of booking a cruise to the Caribbean and boy was the ship full of families and College Spring breakers. Ship was at full capacity and loud!

No room at the pool or loungers and the buffet was always packed. Many incidents of kids not being able to hold their liquor!

But we still had a great time! You will need to make reservations for dinner ahead of time or you won't get in and you will have to contend with the buffet and crowds.

Yes with your group size you need to call NCL and have them help you as they can also help with making dinner reservations for your large group and help with keeping cabins near each other.

With he Free at Seas program cruising has become a more affordable options for college kids

Spring Break is usually the timeframe between President's Day weekend in February through the week following Easter Sunday.  Easter Sunday in 2025 is the 20th of April.  Passenger counts should decrease a bit between Sunday April 27th and Memorial Day 2025.

We sailed over Easter last year on the Joy out of Miami. The ship was packed but more of families then college spring breakers. We still had a great cruise

1 hour ago, zqvol said:

You will rarely find large number of spring breakers on 7 day or longer cruises 

I wold think 7 day cruise would be the first cruise you'd find them on, just not the 10 day + ones. 

i did a ten day western caribbean on the gem a couple of years ago. it was easter week and it was madness... mostly teens and tweens, not college-age guests. but they congregated in the stairwells, especially around the buffet and they left their plates and glasses there and impeded the flow of traffic up and down the stairs, sitting three abreast on multiple steps. there was a lot of yelling and running and horseplay, especially on the pool deck. and not a single parent to be found. i was in the haven and was able to shield myself from most of this, but out and about the ship, it was a crazy pants spectacle.

22 hours ago, ccc321 said:

I'm  planning a girls trip next year with 8-10 women.  Due to fear of flying, we are restricted to cruising from NY which leaves little choice.  Looking at a cruise to Bahamas.  The only Feb. date available is during presidents week which we don't want because of spring break...  I'm looking at 3/9-15 but I'm wondering if the shop will be full of college spring break kids.  Does anyone  have experience cruising at this time?

I’ll be on next week- sailing 3/10 due to college spring break- will report back!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, UKstages said:

i did a ten day western caribbean on the gem a couple of years ago. it was easter week and it was madness... mostly teens and tweens, not college-age guests. but they congregated in the stairwells, especially around the buffet and they left their plates and glasses there and impeded the flow of traffic up and down the stairs, sitting three abreast on multiple steps. there was a lot of yelling and running and horseplay, especially on the pool deck. and not a single parent to be found. i was in the haven and was able to shield myself from most of this, but out and about the ship, it was a crazy pants spectacle.

I encountered the young 'uns on my cruise during Easter Week, 2022. There may or may not have been a purposeful kick or two as I ascended/descended the steps through the feedlot occurring on the steps.

It was a long time ago, but I don't recall stairwells being very comfortable even to my 14 year old self. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, TxTeach79 said:

I'm on the Sun 4 day next week and I'm fully expecting and prepared to deal with a significant Animal House vibe

Does....this...mean the NCL forum will be treated to a true Texas live?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruiseny4life said:

Does....this...mean the NCL forum will be treated to a true Texas live?

There is little that would warm my heart more than to disappoint another corner of the internet. You betcha it's comin'!

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, TxTeach79 said:

There is little that would warm my heart more than to disappoint another corner of the internet. You betcha it's comin'!

Oh this does warm my heart!! YIPEEEE - I have something to look forward to now. Haha

I'm pre-emptively demanding that you have the best spring break from school ever! 

• Thanks 1