Boarding In the Port of Los Angeles

I’m looking for info about the boarding process in the Port of LA.  Last month I was on a HAL cruise out of Miami. Boarding was so easy: walk up to a kiosk, let it scan the passport, and walk right on the ship. It took about 10 minutes from the time we walked in the door to stepping onboard. Most of that was walking up the ship ramp.

Yes, we’d prefilled everything before going, and it was smart of them to use the passport-gotta to have a passport to get onboard.

Miami is a huge huge destination; is the Port of LA as technologically advanced and easy as this?  Or do we get in the giant lines while they check everything like before COVID?   

@Gardyloo2

San Pedro- world cruise terminal is fairly easy in my opinion. Did you get your green lane or blue lane boarding pass on web or app? Did you fill everything out yet? Still have to get in line to go through security. If you get to port before previous passengers are cleared,then yes there will be a wait/ line  to board.

• Like 1

Are you going on the Discovery? I would advise you make sure that you complete your preregistration and get your medallion shipped in advance so you are in the green lane. That should make your boarding process there much easier. 

Discovery Princess boards at Berth 92 at the Port of LA in San Pedro so not through the more spacious main building but at a separate entry building next to the USS Iowa that is basically a glorified quonset hut. It is less than glamorous, and quite cramped. Lines for the blue lane to pick up your medallion can be long - winding through a line maze similar to one found in an amusement park following transit through a tented area with the metal detectors.

We waited in line for an hour for our New Year's cruise - while my daughter and her husband who already had their medallions literally walked right on the boat. Do yourself a huge favor - make sure you get your medallions shipped in advance and that should ensure an easier and more pleasant boarding process.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, arizonaperson said:

@Gardyloo2

San Pedro- world cruise terminal is fairly easy in my opinion. Did you get your green lane or blue lane boarding pass on web or app? Did you fill everything out yet? Still have to get in line to go through security. If you get to port before previous passengers are cleared,then yes there will be a wait/ line  to board.

When did you last board in Los Angeles?

We arrived when the doors opened at 1000 am.  Went inside, into the green lane, through security, to the Elite lounge, short wait, then OB.

Not bad. Probably a little shorter if you show up at 1100 or 1130. 

46 minutes ago, karatemom2 said:

Are you going on the Discovery? I would advise you make sure that you complete your preregistration and get your medallion shipped in advance so you are in the green lane. That should make your boarding process there much easier. 

Discovery Princess boards at Berth 92 at the Port of LA in San Pedro so not through the more spacious main building but at a separate entry building next to the USS Iowa that is basically a glorified quonset hut. It is less than glamorous, and quite cramped. Lines for the blue lane to pick up your medallion can be long - winding through a line maze similar to one found in an amusement park following transit through a tented area with the metal detectors.

We waited in line for an hour for our New Year's cruise - while my daughter and her husband who already had their medallions literally walked right on the boat. Do yourself a huge favor - make sure you get your medallions shipped in advance and that should ensure an easier and more pleasant boarding process.

We were just on the Feb 24 Discovery cruise out of San Pedro. Arrived at 10:15am. Did que up for a bit to enter the area for Security the once through Security we entered the main building. The Quonset hut building is where you pick up your luggage after the cruise. We had our Medallions and went right up to check-in. It was a short wait afterward as the ship had not been cleared and guests were in groups.....Elite Boarded 1st, then Suites, etc. Next time we'll wait and arrive around 11am. 

3 minutes ago, cheetosrevil said:

FWIW I've boarded and exited the Discovery from both terminals.

me too! I find POLA easy for embarkation/disembarkation unless there is a delay...we have experienced unannounced Coast Guard inspection, ship delay because it was stuck in Ensenada harbor by a storm, INS arresting someone so everyone else had to wait until they were removed.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, startedwithamouse said:

What are you insinuating or trying to stir up? I gave my opinion and experience, and it looks like most people are giving the same response. The op is looking for answers/opinions and you didn’t even answer them. You responded to mine instead, which is not helpful to the OP at all.

Out of all the ports, I’ve left out of San Pedro often, and I also have family members that leave out of there  often .amazing how quick to judge people are just because…..

Edited by arizonaperson
Oops as always

1 hour ago, startedwithamouse said:

Just as arizonaperson said this past november. We parked in the parking lot at san pedro at 9:00am and waited under the tent to wait and went thru security by 10:00 and waited in the terminal to board at noon. We were the green lane and all checked in.We didn't mind waiting. We were early! 

• Like 1

Thanks for all the input. We are indeed sailing on the Discovery early next month.  Our Medallions have shipped and we have one more item to add before my partner is ready for the Green Line.  I'm all set myself

We'll probably drop off our bags with a Porter then park the car. Easier than lugging our stuff through the parking lot.

• Like 1

Yes, even though the parking is very convenient it is easier to drop your bags off and then park. Given you are in the Green Lane and have your medallions, boarding should be quick and easy once you get through security. 

I cruised in January out of San Pedro. I don't use an APP and didn't have the medallions mailed for a fee. I called the Ocean ready line well in advance of the cruise and they did all the pre registration. I walked into the terminal at approx 11:15 and went straight to the check in desk to pick up my medallion and was on board in less then 10 minutes. Green VS Blue lane is all the same.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, cruzsnooze said:

I cruised in January out of San Pedro. I don't use an APP and didn't have the medallions mailed for a fee. I called the Ocean ready line well in advance of the cruise and they did all the pre registration. I walked into the terminal at approx 11:15 and went straight to the check in desk to pick up my medallion and was on board in less then 10 minutes. Green VS Blue lane is all the same.

Not always. I’m glad you had a good experience. We were in the Dec 30 sailing, arrived at approximately the same time and waited an hour in the blue lane line while my daughter and her husband basically walked right on through the green line. So experiences vary - ours was a very full holiday sailing and the blue lane line was moving so slowly that they kept intermittently stopping the preliminary line for the metal detectors and carryon scanning. 

Your mileage may vary depending on the crowd volume and number of people who are picking up medallions as opposed to those who already have them. We will always get them shipped from now on to hopefully avoid a similar situation in the future at any port. 

• Like 2