PSA: No magnets are safe - stolen door magnets on Encore

i'm surprised to see so many references to door damage in this thread. it might happen, but it's mostly about the time it takes to remove paper remnants and tape residue. and even then, removing tape from a door or threshold doesn't take any longer than cleaning up after a particularly messy guest who trashed a room. i'm not sure doors are being damaged per se.

a legitimate reason a cruise line might ban door decorations, including magnets, is fire prevention. and that's exactly what NCL did several years ago. 

On 3/11/2024 at 5:07 PM, david_sobe said:

You would be amazed how many little lawn ornaments are stolen from people's yards all the time.  Someone drives by, admires it and then just takes it.  

"Back in the day", a neighbor teen and her friends would rearrange the lawn ornaments, gnomes, fake deer etc during the night... could be picnic-ing on a lawn together, or in different yards...never destructive. Just silly teen pranks. 

Those said teens are now in their 60s... so maybe the magnets travel too? 😆

• Haha 2

34 minutes ago, Fogfog said:

"Back in the day", a neighbor teen and her friends would rearrange the lawn ornaments, gnomes, fake deer etc during the night... could be picnic-ing on a lawn together, or in different yards...never destructive. Just silly teen pranks. 

My friends and I might’ve driven around rearranging statues and garbage cans, fortunately homes are very close together so not hard to fix.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

My friends and I might’ve driven around rearranging statues and garbage cans, fortunately homes are very close together so not hard to fix.

And it was before FB/IG, the "tube", selfies etc so none of those silly things went on into immortality. Only bad hairstyles in yearbooks survived unless already in the trash😜

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

42 minutes ago, Fogfog said:

Is that where the "GET OFF MY LAWN!!" people come from? 

• Haha 5

i can't speak to the issue of stolen gnomes or woodland animals, but when it comes to jockeys, there may be a different factor at play here.  a recent episode of "curb your enthusiasm" dealt with this very topic... whether or not a jockey is a suitable lawn ornament.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, UKstages said:

i can't speak to the issue of stolen gnomes or woodland animals, but when it comes to jockeys, there may be a different factor at play here.  a recent episode of "curb your enthusiasm" dealt with this very topic... whether or not a jockey is a suitable lawn ornament.

Jockeys were part of the rearranging as I recall, and fake geese etc. 

Know of a  yard that dressed their fake geese basked on the holidays and seasons.

Back to the magnets-- I had put small flipflops on the doors of our cabins for a family sailing. 1 pr per person/so 4 tiny pieces on each door of the neighboring cabins. One morning we awoke to find them distributed down the hall on the doors like they were walking 😆

I suspect the OPs magnets, being unique were indeed pilfered. Can't imagine taking and then keeping a stolen item. Yet crime is rampant even when its petty

On 3/12/2024 at 8:15 AM, rxlowry said:

This is the excessive behavior that causes many things to disappear or get banned. 
Do people decorate hotel room doors too?

No. But it is not a tradition like decorating a cruise ship door. By the same token, we don’t hide ducks around our hotel either.

If you take any thing out of context and make any irrelevant assertion. 

People take great care and pride at decorating their doors and should not be criticized for it. 

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

No. But it is not a tradition like decorating a cruise ship door. By the same token, we don’t hide ducks around our hotel either.

If you take any thing out of context and make any irrelevant assertion. 

People take great care and pride at decorating their doors and should not be criticized for it. 

It’s about the excess. So much flammable materials, it is a hazard. Ducks too, which is why Disney doesn’t want them. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

By the same token, we don’t hide ducks around our hotel either.

unless you manage the peabody, in memphis.

hiding ducks on cruise ships is dangerous, people trip over them, especially in stairwells. but there are no rules against them on NCL. not yet, anyway. there probably will be, at some point; the cruise line is taking a tremendous risk by allowing them. i can't see how this could go on much longer.

but i said that about platform shoes, too.

42 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

rest assured, when they perish in a cruise ship fire exacerbated by their door decorations, those eulogizing them will most likely not criticize them for having decorated their doors. that would be rude.

it would be truthful, but it would be rude nonetheless.

18 minutes ago, rxlowry said:

Ducks too, which is why Disney doesn’t want them. 

ruh-roh.

does donald know about this?

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, rxlowry said:

It’s about the excess. So much flammable materials, it is a hazard. Ducks too, which is why Disney doesn’t want them. 

There is no “excess”. Again, total exaggeration. Were not back in the Blue Man days with the Epic Theater was filled with toilet paper at the end of the show. 

No duck haters on NCL. Again, totally out of context. The only burning/burnt duck is in the Main Dining Room. 

The cabin steward will gladly hang paper streamers attached to the lights in the room,,, if you pay for the package. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Were not back in the Blue Man days with the Epic Theater was filled with toilet paper at the end of the show.

the blue man group show used toilet paper under the careful supervision of a stage management team and a fire safety warden. all the paper was disposed of responsibly and safely after each show. 

8 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

There is no “excess”.

kindly see post #25 for a representative example. 

i've seen far worse on NCL.

Just now, BirdTravels said:

The cabin steward will gladly hang paper streamers attached to the lights in the room,,, if you pay for the package. 

what's your point here? that NCL will sacrifice fire safety for revenue? or that the cabin steward will gladly hang paper streamers within a secure cabin behind a firesafe metal door? that's not possible in the hallway... hence the fire regulations. 

3 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

No duck haters on NCL. Again, totally out of context.

the context is that these rubber and plastic pests are placed in hallways and stairwells where people can trip over them. it's a nuisance. and a safety hazard. they are also flammable, just like paper and magnets!

they are "floor decorations" and should be banned.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BirdTravels said:

Even though it's against explicit NCL policy included in every day's Freestyle Daily?

• Like 1

Bird is just triggered because of my comment on his live post on msc boards so he went back to troll me. We probably should stop feeding the troll. But getting him to have a negative post about NCl made it worth it as that’s something I’d never think I’d read. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 3/12/2024 at 8:15 AM, rxlowry said:

This is the excessive behavior that causes many things to disappear or get banned. 
Do people decorate hotel room doors too?

Back in my days of parenting/coaching travel softball, yes, the team did decorate the doors of each player.  Typically just a home made sign of sorts in team colors with athlete name and number.

On 3/12/2024 at 9:58 AM, UKstages said:

have found the numbers adjacent to the door to be a great help in finding my cabin. they are invariably sequential and unique, with no cabin numbers repeated.

Are you sure about that?  How do you know they are all unique, do you review all of them when you get on board?  I had noticed the sequential aspect on most of the cruise ships I've been on.  Still not sure I should trust they are unique.  🙂

On 3/12/2024 at 9:04 PM, ChiefMateJRK said:

Do I have to do all of the thinking around here?

Someone has to.  Thank you for taking one for the team!

1 hour ago, UKstages said:

hiding ducks on cruise ships is dangerous, people trip over them, especially in stairwells. but there are no rules against them on NCL. not yet, anyway.

More seriously, I haven't looked but it seems like there should already be a rule against leaving your crap all over the ship.  

1 hour ago, sansroof said:

Even though it's against explicit NCL policy included in every day's Freestyle Daily?

It certainly isn’t included in every days Freestyle Daily.

I don’t recall ever seeing it mentioned on any Freestyle Daily that I have received (I just checked a sample and saw no mention of it).

If it wasn’t for these discussions on Cruise Critic and a couple of dailies posted by others I would be totally unaware of any ban.

11 minutes ago, KeithJenner said:

I don’t recall ever seeing it mentioned on any Freestyle Daily that I have received (I just checked a sample and saw no mention of it).

If it wasn’t for these discussions on Cruise Critic and a couple of dailies posted by others I would be totally unaware of any ban.

Good to know!  I wonder if it's a ship by ship policy?  I saw it on our dailies on the Getaway in October.

1 hour ago, rxlowry said:

Bird is just triggered because of my comment on his live post on msc boards so he went back to troll me. We probably should stop feeding the troll. But getting him to have a negative post about NCl made it worth it as that’s something I’d never think I’d read. 

I missed the drama! I'm crying - you gotta let us know before the posts are gone awayed. 🙂 

47 minutes ago, KeithJenner said:

I've seen it in dailies before but haven't seen it in recent dailies. The decorations are probably still banned but probably aren't a high enough priority to list on every daily.

1 hour ago, cruiseny4life said:

I missed the drama! I'm crying - you gotta let us know before the posts are gone awayed. 🙂 

Go look on MSC boards

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cruiseny4life said:

Oh I read through the entire live. You've been deleted. 😞 Unless I'm blind! 

Indeed I have!  Here's the short story...people posted actual helpful comments in the post (those have been deleted as well) and Bird says it's his thread and not to comment basically.  I found those posts actually useful in comparison to his "seemingly AI comments with brochure pictures"  That's what angered him.  

• Like 2

Just now, rxlowry said:

Indeed I have!  Here's the short story...people posted actual helpful comments in the post (those have been deleted as well) and Bird says it's his thread and not to comment basically.  I found those posts actually useful in comparison to his "seemingly AI comments with brochure pictures"  That's what angered him.  

Gotcha, much appreciated! I've seen that on previous topics. The ownership is real! For some....I'll take the please comment on my post when I do a live route. I view diversity of opinion as a good thing! 

I'm too lazy to do Google reverse image searches, but the thought has crossed my mind regarding a few folks who "cruise." 

Thanks, by the way! 

• Like 2

Just now, cruiseny4life said:

Gotcha, much appreciated! I've seen that on previous topics. The ownership is real! For some....I'll take the please comment on my post when I do a live route. I view diversity of opinion as a good thing! 

I'm too lazy to do Google reverse image searches, but the thought has crossed my mind regarding a few folks who "cruise." 

Thanks, by the way! 

I totally agree and love others contributing on my "live" posts as well.  If you want a more organic live post, I'm actually going to be on the same ship as Bird at the end of this month!  

But hey, I'm glad he dug up my comments from last week just to annoy me, otherwise I'd have missed out on this delightful convo!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1