Summer cruising- how rainy?

acct1975

Taking my 1st Alaska cruise in July and seemed to have gone down the You Tube rabbit hole of information so I wanted to get some perspective from people who have cruised there before.

How rainy is mid-July, truly? Is it a "cold rain" or just your standard summer sprinkle?

Are water proof shoes essential? What's your go-to backpack to carry when out exploring the port?

It might rain almost every day, at least a little. It certainly won't be a warm rain...its Alaska!!

Sailed Alaska 4 times. Never had waterproof shoes, and wouldn't worry about it unless you are going to do hiking or similar excursions.

• Like 2

Have cruised AK 2nd half of June.   It's a roll of the dice.  The 1st half of the NB, was rainy cloudy.  Wished I had brought a thicker sweatshirt.  2nd half was sunny, and beautiful.

Things I bring in my backpack:

Windbreaker

Mosquito repellant - they are for real

Water

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jnsplace1 said:

Have cruised AK 2nd half of June.   It's a roll of the dice.  The 1st half of the NB, was rainy cloudy.  Wished I had brought a thicker sweatshirt.  2nd half was sunny, and beautiful.

Things I bring in my backpack:

Windbreaker

Mosquito repellant - they are for real

Water

What kind of backpack. Is a waterproof/ water resistant one really necessary?

So here's the thing - you're not thru-hiking a multi-day trail, you have a nice warm and dry cabin to return to, so even if your feet get wet you can dry out your boots rather than being forced to wear them again for another day on the trail!

In other words, while waterproof footwear, backpack, outer shell is the ideal - it's not required for cruisers! Comfy, broken-in footwear is more important than how proof-resistant it is - boots are better than shoes though, lots of rough trails, even in town gravel/woodchip surfaces, and folks looking at scenery may not pay as much attention to their footing... it's really easy to roll an ankle, hence something with ankle support is never a bad idea.

If you're a warm-weather, urban living type who just doesn't have any outdoor gear at all then buy cheap stuff or improvise - a dirt-cheap plastic poncho, or even better a garbage bag you bring from home, can be wrapped around the outside of a pack if the weather is foul; a simple rub of a candle onto a warmed shoe gives a thin layer of wax to help proof it at almost zero cost; a spare pair of socks makes great improvised mittens; and whether you fly in Vancouver, Seattle, or Anchorage you should be able to find a Dollar Store who will sell you cheap fleecy beanies/toques, one-size-fits-none gloves, scarves etc. for much less than touristy shops in ports - or spend a few bucks more on a souvenir hat/fleece etc.

Just remember that multiple thin layers are far more useful than a thick sweater or lined coat - the most useful thing about a daypack is somewhere to keep all of the layers you don't need when the weather shifts between wet, cold, sunny, warm, windy and combinations thereof on an hourly basis!!!

• Like 2

While it can rain any time in southeast Alaska May tends to be the driest month with the rains much more frequent starting in late August.  You certainly can have rain in mid-July and it could be heavy if you are in a storm.

Definitely need a waterproof (not water resistant) outer layer.  Your shoe requirement is dictated by your activity level.  While we own waterproof hiking boots I take a waterproof pair of walking shoes. Not only do I use them at home they have been used in Iceland, South American and Northern Europe.

We don't take a waterproof backpack.  If you are concerned then pack a large plastic bag which can be used to protect the items in a backpack.

Here is the thing about rain in Alaska - it comes and goes and it is just part of the experience. We have cruised in Alaska in May, June, July and August and while it is true that July and August are wetter, it has never made the experience any less enjoyable - you just work through it. We like to hike, so I do wear waterproof boots because I prefer to have dry feet but I don't bother with anything else waterproof including my backpack. My go to outfit is turtleneck, fleece pullover and jeans - maybe a hat and gloves if it is cold. If it rains, I always carry the disposable hooded plastic rain ponchos in my backpack to help keep me dry until it stops, and then I can take them off and throw them out. I like them because they are lightweight and easy and go over my backpack to keep it dry too. 

One of the best excursions I ever did was in Ketchikan and it was very rainy. It was a zipline tour in the rainforest - and it operates rain or shine. We got pretty wet, but it was exhilarating! Rain or shine, Alaska is the best!

I take 2 pair of shoes that I can hike in on a rainy hike (good traction).  One pair may not dry out in one day.  I have a light weight rain proof jacket and rain pants that I can roll up and carry with me for rainy and windy conditions.  Wool socks are recommended.  Bring clothes that coordinate and layer.  Hat to keep your ears warm, gloves to keep your hands warm if you will be viewing glaciers from your ship.  

I have had my worst weather week in July (wet, windy, foggy, ice pellets the entire cruise) and also the hottest, driest trip. Same week (4th of July) several years apart. Expect anything/everything and be prepared for both.

• Like 3

thank you everyone for the perspective you're giving me. I've only cruised the Caribbean so this is a new experience. I want to be prepared but not overly so I'm packing things I don't need or buying things that are only useful this one trip where what I already have would suffice. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, acct1975 said:

What kind of backpack. Is a waterproof/ water resistant one really necessary?

I live in the PacNW, so it's only natural I have an Eddie Bauer daypack.  It's not waterproof though, it's just water resistant enough to protect my camera, and extra layers.   Big enough to hold it, small enough to carry around for hours.

As others said, just depends on what you are intending to do.  Go into rainforest, you'll likely get drippy.  🙂  Enjoy!

On 3/11/2024 at 10:00 AM, acct1975 said:

How rainy is mid-July, truly? Is it a "cold rain" or just your standard summer sprinkle?

Cloud cover in Alaska tends to be thick, so that means cooler/colder temperatures. Even if the rain was light, the cloud cover will still be thick, and unlike a "summer sprinkle" elsewhere, it not like after the rain shower that the clouds will part and there will be bright sunshine.  The clouds may dissipate over time, and what was a cold miserable morning may end up being a beautiful afternoon, but that happens over a couple/few hours.

Do prepare to layer when dressing for Alaska.  Buy a fleece jacket or vest now during the end of the season sales to bring on your trip.  If you don't have waterproof shoes, then bring a pair of wool socks to insulate your feet if it rains.  Having a hat, even a baseball cap is better than nothing.  If you are prepared for weather, you will have a more enjoyable visit to the various  Alaskan port-of-calls.

• Like 1