Princess Plus Dining on ships without any “casual” dining?

So we’ll be on the Caribbean Princess in September and we got complimentary “plus”..but I just noticed..there’s no OceanTerrace/Gigi’s/Alfredo’s/etc…

So…are our only choices Steamers/Planks?

Posted (edited)

Vines, Steamers and Planks.

All 3 are Casual Dining venues.

I don't understand your thread title at all as CB has 3 options, similar to most ships - and more than the most recent ship in the fleet, lol.. 

Casual dining venues include Planks, Vines, Kai Sushi (except on Sun), Alfredo's, O'Malleys, Steamers, Vines, Gigi's, Ocean Terrace Seafood, Salty Dog Gastropub....  And different ships have different venues... CB has 3.

Edited by reedprincess

33 minutes ago, reedprincess said:

Vines, Steamers and Planks.

All 3 are Casual Dining venues.

I don't understand your thread title at all as CB has 3 options, similar to most ships - and more than the most recent ship in the fleet, lol.. 

Casual dining venues include Planks, Vines, Kai Sushi (except on Sun), Alfredo's, O'Malleys, Steamers, Vines, Gigi's, Ocean Terrace Seafood, Salty Dog Gastropub....  And different ships have different venues... CB has 3.

Apologies 

I’ve only ever sailed on Royal class; which the casual dining are full blown restaurants..to me it looks like Planks and Steamers are just like extensions of the buffet..but like I said; I have no reference

I still struggle to call Planks/Steamers "casual" dining since you need a reservation and can't just walk up like the others, but that's how they are categorized

37 minutes ago, fpsphil said:

I still struggle to call Planks/Steamers "casual" dining since you need a reservation and can't just walk up like the others, but that's how they are categorized

You can walk up to Planks and Steamers and wait for a table. Reservations are taken and as they alternate each night, they're recommended but they're not required and usually, there's some walkup space available.

And Vines charcuterie is great, really big portions.. 

40 minutes ago, KarmaCruisers said:

Apologies 

I’ve only ever sailed on Royal class; which the casual dining are full blown restaurants..to me it looks like Planks and Steamers are just like extensions of the buffet..but like I said; I have no reference

Vines is its own entity, right there on deck 5.

Planks and Steamers are "pop-up"s, with they're own decor, signage, menus, etc. Quite large portions of food, go hungry. 

28 minutes ago, reedprincess said:

You can walk up to Planks and Steamers and wait for a table. Reservations are taken and as they alternate each night, they're recommended but they're not required and usually, there's some walkup space available.

And Vines charcuterie is great, really big portions.. 

Emerald was requiring reservations for Planks and Steamers in January. Tried to walk up one night and were turned away even though it was mostly empty

6 hours ago, fpsphil said:

Emerald was requiring reservations for Planks and Steamers in January. Tried to walk up one night and were turned away even though it was mostly empty

How do you make reservations if it’s a pop up?

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, BoopTennis said:

The nights they are open will be listed in the patter. Then just call the dine line, or maybe they will be listed in the app those nights?

Edited by pathi

Seems unfortunate that they are only available at dinner. You'd be giving up dinner in the dining room that night for some casual bbq or seafood.  Which, depending on your personal perspective, may not be a net gain. That type of casual stuff sounds more like a lunch option to me personally.

I guess you could have the charcuterie board at Vines before a dining room dinner, but people say it's big and comes with a dessert, so I don't think that's the intent. And those are the only 3 options on CB.

6 minutes ago, Earthworm Jim said:

Seems unfortunate that they are only available at dinner. You'd be giving up dinner in the dining room that night for some casual bbq or seafood.  Which, depending on your personal perspective, may not be a net gain. That type of casual stuff sounds more like a lunch option to me personally.

I guess you could have the charcuterie board at Vines before a dining room dinner, but people say it's big and comes with a dessert, so I don't think that's the intent. And those are the only 3 options on CB.

yeah the bottom line is the value of the casual dining package inclusions is definitely lower on the CB than on royal class ships.  There probably aren't too many people out there for whom this is the deciding factor on plus vs no package, but I would think it could factor in more prominently into someone debating upgrading from plus to premier.  Much more value in that move to go from 2 to unlimited on a royal class ship.

The vines charcuterie board is definitely a solid meal for two people.  It is very generous and very good.  Planks & steamers feels awkward with the alternating nights and having to make reservations.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, BoopTennis said:

Went up to talk to the guy at the desk in front, he told me I had to call dine line

Posted (edited)

Don't know if you eat in the buffet but, if you do... At breakfast walk past all the "regular" portion of the buffet and go all the way aft to the Planks/Steamers area. When we sailed CB that was where I got cooked to order fried eggs, made to order omelets, etc. Also, at lunch time, we found that area had extra stuff such as make your own ramen bar or a make your own burrito bar. Since it wasn't "dinner" it was included in the cruise fare.

Edited by Thrak
  • Like 1

On 3/12/2024 at 10:08 AM, Earthworm Jim said:

I completely agree with you on both thoughts and with the mixed reviews for the new MDR lunch menus I would really take advantage of the casual venues if they were open for lunch for nothing other than a change of pace. 

On 3/14/2024 at 12:01 PM, cnice515 said:

I completely agree with you on both thoughts and with the mixed reviews for the new MDR lunch menus I would really take advantage of the casual venues if they were open for lunch for nothing other than a change of pace. 

Often Vines will be open for lunch on sea days

We really enjoyed both Steamers and Planks on the Caribbean Princess.  We called the dine line to make reservations the day we boarded.  Although both venues are located in the back section of the buffet, they were set up to have more of a dining room feel.  They had limited staff to run these casual dining restaurants, so only a small number of reservations were booked.  I saw a number of people turned away despite many empty tables.  Be sure to book early!