A Rival for the QM2?

London-Calling

3 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

The list of countries which allow Chinese visa free travel is quite small at the moment but equally, it's not too difficult to obtain visas to travel to the EU, US and UK, as long as applications are accepted of course

Apparently 30% of chinese tourist visa applications are refused to the USA. There is no point to applying again if you are rejected you know.

An interesting point to consider away from the China discussion. How like the Cunard ships of old would this be in terms of dressing up dinner the way it used to be back in the bow ties and all that jazz which many people has gone by the wayside on Cunard. If they bring back that experience perhaps they might get numbers and pose a real challenge for Cunard. If they can bring it back that is?

2 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

Apparently 30% of chinese tourist visa applications are refused to the USA. There is no point to applying again if you are rejected you know.

An interesting point to consider away from the China discussion. How like the Cunard ships of old would this be in terms of dressing up dinner the way it used to be back in the bow ties and all that jazz which many people has gone by the wayside on Cunard. If they bring back that experience perhaps they might get numbers and pose a real challenge for Cunard. If they can bring it back that is?

Interesting.

Please quote your source as I was under the impression the 'vast majority' of visa [Business/Tourist] applications from Chinese citizens are approved.

Well they are according to the US Bureau of Consular Affairs and I guess they have a bit of a handle on the percentage of US visas dished out.

1 hour ago, ace2542 said:

If that question/statement holds any water it could be hard to get that target market onto their transatlantics?

I assume Titanic II will offer cruises in Chinese/Asian waters too, as well as transatlantic crossings.

32 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

Interesting.

Please quote your source as I was under the impression the 'vast majority' of visa [Business/Tourist] applications from Chinese citizens are approved.

Well they are according to the US Bureau of Consular Affairs and I guess they have a bit of a handle on the percentage of US visas dished out.

I done a google search

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, London-Calling said:

I assume Titanic II will offer cruises in Chinese/Asian waters too, as well as transatlantic crossings.

Remember the NCL Joy. The ship had chinese writing inside for the guests everything in chinese. It didn't take and they had to redo everything. They can't hang their hat on the chinese market.

I also remember keeping up appearances the BBC sitcom. I can't explain it for the Americans you just have to know it. If they wanna take on Cuanrd on the T/As they have to bring the days of the keeping up appearances the poshness that cunard has lost capture whatever is it they need to capture. I don't know how else to describe it.

Edited by ace2542

7 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

and so when you googled, what was the source of your information.

State Dept B visa (the tourist visa) refusal rates by year. Shows list by country of application.

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

As an ocean liner historian I have yet to figure out what the purpose of this venture is??? 

I took a wonderful Transatlantic onboard the QE2, because I wanted to experience the traditional 'ocean liner' "thing". I not alone, in this mind-set, that why Cunard ships have retro-décor and are more formal, than most.

What better way to get the ocean liner/yesterday experience onboard a ship that is a near replica of the most famous ocean liner ever built (for all the wrong reasons, of course).

Many non-cruisers have probably never heard of the Queen Mary 2, but EVERYBODY in the world has heard of the Titanic. I think the Titanic II will be incredibly successful. There will only be 2,345 cabins to sell, unlike many of todays monsters!

I recently met a relatively you woman working in a café. I noticed that she had 1912 tattooed on her arm.  I asked her what it meant. She laughed, she said it was the year the Titanic sank. I asked her if she was a ship enthusiast, she said no, she just love that movie.  Strangely, the legend has a life of it's own!

Edited by London-Calling

12 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

State Dept B visa (the tourist visa) refusal rates by year. Shows list by country of application.

It does and the refusal rate peaked in '21 and is going down.

Have you checked the last decade for visa refusals? Have you given consideration to the world wide pandemic and the implications regarding travel from certain countries?

China is opening up for both inward and outward tourism.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Victoria2 said:

Interesting.

Wouldn’t you say 70% was the vast majority?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, WantedOnVoyage said:

All 10-year-old boys really do flip through the pages to get to the "good part" when TITANIC goes down

One 10-year old boy was far too busy following all the news articles about the brand new ship that was being welded together less than 8 miles away.

10 hours ago, ace2542 said:

Remember the NCL Joy. The ship had chinese writing inside for the guests everything in chinese. It didn't take and they had to redo everything. They can't hang their hat on the chinese market.

I also remember keeping up appearances the BBC sitcom. I can't explain it for the Americans you just have to know it. If they wanna take on Cuanrd on the T/As they have to bring the days of the keeping up appearances the poshness that cunard has lost capture whatever is it they need to capture. I don't know how else to describe it.

It was hilarious.  Brilliant.  Only the Brits can offer such restrained humour.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ace2542 said:

I can't explain it for the Americans

Many of us here know of Hyacinth Bucket and love the QE2 episode. Even Mrs. Bucket seemed to chill out some when dancing with Onslow. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/20/2024 at 8:43 PM, WantedOnVoyage said:
On 3/21/2024 at 10:34 PM, NE John said:

Many of us here know of Hyacinth Bucket and love the QE2 episode. Even Mrs. Bucket seemed to chill out some when dancing with Onslow. 

So would anybody here be interested in a cruise onboard Titanic II or it it just a ridiculous idea?

7 minutes ago, London-Calling said:

Registered when the previous Titanic opened, which then disappeared into a black hole.  So would be interested, but will await the official opening of registration.  Also, will wish to see a confirmation of the official dress code.

Although I do belive that Palmer will build.Titanic II he does tend to speak without knowing the facts himself. For example, he originally said it would be constructed in China which was a daft idea he also said passengers would be provided with costumes! How would that possibly work?

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, London-Calling said:

Although I do belive that Palmer will build.Titanic II he does tend to speak without knowing the facts himself. For example, he originally said it would be constructed in China which was a daft idea he also said passengers would be provided with costumes! How would that possibly work?

We shall have our own wardrobes.  Not going to wear someone’s pre-worn.

Edited by PORT ROYAL
Typo

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, Victoria2 said:

We have various Fantasy Football 'leagues' over here in the UK.

I guess Fantasy Cruising, if it doesn't already exist,  could be of interest to some. Not me though.

Don't Cunard offer an ocean liner type 'fantasy'?:-)

Edited by London-Calling
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, London-Calling said:

...I meant the entire Cunard onboard experience!

Have you ever cruised with Cunard? I ask because a simple definition of fantasy is the imagining of the impossible.

For me and many others, a Cunard cruise isn't the impossible it's reality, the reality of a wonderful holiday. 😀

Edited by Victoria2
spellin!

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Victoria2 said:

Have you ever cruised with Cunard? I ask because a simple definition of fantasy is the imagining of the impossible.

Yes: QM x 2, Queen Vic X 1 and QE2 x1

Surely Cunard's unique selling points (brand)  is "history", "tradition", "class" and "formality".  I'm suggesting that they offer an 'ocean liner' (retro) experience rather than a conventional modern cruise ship one.

That's why there QM2, QV and Lizzy all have rerto 'ocean liner' style décor (Art Deco etc.). That's why their ships are full of painting of other historic ships.  That's why they still offer white-glove afternoon tea. That's why they have hung onto their dress code, more than most cruise lines. That why the QM2 in particular, is a 'real' ocean liner offering regular transatlantic voyages.

The element of "fantasy" is the fact the the QM2 is a modern ship (although designed as an ocean liner) and her other fleet mates look like ocean liners (dark hulls etc. Ocean) but are really cruise ships in disguise.  

If you dream of going to New York onboard the Titanic,  the SS France, the original Queen Mary or Normandie, TODAY the QM2 is you best option.

Edited by London-Calling

Cunard's history is, history and for me, you can keep QM2 and her  TAs. I am/was quite happy sailing the Atlantic on Queen Victoria, a cruise ship, not an ocean liner. 🙂

You have a longer association with Cunard than I London-Calling 🙂 because as a relative newcomer to Cunard,  I go for today and hopefully tomorrow, not yesteryear and while Cunard traditions sit well with me, they are traditions, not fantasy. Fantasy is dreaming of the probably unobtainable. Fantasy is the longing for the bygone eras which are gone forever. Traditions are passed down from generations but are still reality.

As I haven't the slightest interest in setting foot on QM2 again, any TAs will be by air, or one of her sisters.

Reality bites again...maybe! 😃