A Rival for the QM2?

London-Calling

Some of you, including the OP, may recall this thread from 2013 which is where I believe I first heard of this on-again, off-again project. There are several dearly departed contributors to this old thread.

One is intrigued by the name "Blue Star Line" which unless some money has changed hands, is still vaguely owned by the successors of a once proud and important British Line that one would hope is not associated with this tedious and tiresome endeavour. 

• Like 1

The Finland-based naval architecture firm Deltamarin was working on Titanic II previously.  In the first effort, it got as far as model basin testing but then the project went dormant 2015-18.  In 2018 Palmer revived the project and it got as far as a "conceptual design for shipyard pricing."  Then the project again fell silent until this latest revival.   I'm skeptical that this time will be different. 

If my recollection of the ship dimensions is accurate, the top of the funnels of Titanic II would just about reach deck 13 on QM2. 

Few people in Australia take Clive seriously.  He somehow quarantines his obviously vast wealth, and pops up every election year with his registered political party, making outrageous and attention-seeking proclamations.  Occasionally, they’re spot on.

His Titanic dream may be a reality or a fantasy.  Time will tell.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, BlueRiband said:

The Finland-based naval architecture firm Deltamarin was working on Titanic II previously.  In the first effort, it got as far as model basin testing but then the project went dormant 2015-18.  

I do know that Deltamarin did largely complete the designed the Titanic II, before it was put on hold. Palmer really did spend a lot of money on the project. It was not just a 'bluff'.

On 3/13/2024 at 9:43 PM, bluemarble said:

Some of you, including the OP, may recall this thread from 2013 which is where I believe I first heard of this on-again, off-again project. There are several dearly departed contributors to this old thread.

Would be interesting if they again opened the register interest, as per last time.  One even found a tailor who had expertise in the recreation of 1910’s apparel.

8 hours ago, rmsEtruria said:

Well, if it’s an authentic replica, it won’t make it past a point about 400 miles south of Newfoundland.

We had a memorable Titanic themed evening at our golf club a while back.  Quite authentic and elegant ambience.  Memorable because our Captain wished us a happy and safe voyage.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, London-Calling said:

Lol.  Due to SOLAS regulations, you cant build a replica Titanic in this day and age.

It will be a modern ship which looks like the 1912 one.  It wont have proper steerage cabins either!

A true replica, but without Steerage?  
Great, then it’s “White Tie” dining for ALL Gentlemen, with ALL Ladies in gowns, as a strict (enforced) requirement.

Edited by PORT ROYAL
Typo

10 hours ago, rmsEtruria said:

Well, if it’s an authentic replica, it won’t make it past a point about 400 miles south of Newfoundland.

Only if there is an authentic replica iceberg being constructed somewhere, as in the Hardy poem.

41 minutes ago, PORT ROYAL said:

A true replica, but without Steerage?  
Great, then it’s “White Tie” dining for ALL Gentlemen, with ALL Ladies in gowns, as a strict (enforced) requirement.

Would any modern cruise passenger share a cabin , with multiple bunk beds and six communal toilets and a couple of baths for hundreds of steerage passengers?