LIVE from ms Rotterdam March 17-29, 2024

My excursion that wasn’t in St. John’s, Antiqua - March 21,2024

I was contemplating canceling my excursion when I reread the description.  It said that we were to take a walking tour of the dockyards.  Not sure what I was thinking when I booked it - dockyards sound like uneven areas and steps.  Finally I decided to try it and if I couldn’t take the walk I could sit by the bus.  Turns out I didn’t need to make the decision.  When I got in line on the pier, the rep from the tour company said I could not take my rollator - there was no room on the bus.  I told the HAL rep and I am hoping to get part of my money back.  

i ended up going to breakfast (very unusual), sitting on my balcony, having lunch, and then spending an hour in the Sea View pool (which is adult only).  Bumped into Frances and Tony and sat with them until time for trivia.

Team trivia - I had 11 of 17 and the winning team had 14.

1.  What is the most populous country in Africa?

2.  What birthstone dissolves in vinegar?

3.  Who invented the reflecting telescope?

4.  What is the largest inhabited castle in the world?

5.  The Leaning Tower of Pisa was originally used as what?

1.  Nigeria

2.  Pearl

3.  Newton 

4.  Windsor 

5.  Bell tower 

Spent more time on the balcony (enjoying a margarita) before dinner.  

We dined at Tamarind (Pan-Asian).  My meal was amazing.  I will post some pictures tomorrow.  

The show tonight was a tribute to John Denver’s music by Chris Bannister.  He was very good.

I am signed up for a tour tomorrow and am hoping for a different outcome than today.

Smooth sailing until next time!

1.  Nigeria

2.  Pearl 

3.  Newton 

4.  Windsor 

5.  Bell tower 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

14 hours ago, oakridger said:

I love the "Spent more time on the balcony (enjoying a Margarita)" part of your day!! 

Sounds so relaxing!  🙂

~Nancy

It really was!  I don’t get a balcony on the long cruises so I am making the most of it.

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, Scrapnana said:

It really was!  I don’t get a balcony on the long cruises so I am making the most of it.

The whole reason for a balcony is peace and quiet on a ship and enjoying the waves and view. A nice dinner on the balcony is even better!! Maybe your neighbor peeks over to say good evening and a quick catch up for the days activity. Enjoy!!! So happy to see you back cruising.

• Like 2

My dinner at Tamarind.  

Thai citrus scallops 

image.thumb.jpeg.8ae0a46909a2f91bb3b0a41fe480e190.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.c43aa1fdf659bed82b89fe98f189d2b9.jpeg

Wasabi and soy crusted beef tenderloin (I didn't have the wasabi)

image.thumb.jpeg.4342a8dc4cac49c432c154cfa1157014.jpeg

Passion fruit cloud 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

Good tour in Fort-de-France, Martinique- March 22, 2024

I signed a for an “Easy” tour, Panoramic Martinique.  There was no problem with my rollator (there were at least four) and I was able to get the handicapped seat in the front.  Our guide, Gislaine, was a teacher and very good telling us about the island.  We drove through the center of the island, passed the volcano (that wiped out part of the island in 1902), and along the coast.  We had two rest stops/photo ops but I stayed on the bus.

Back on the ship by 1:30, I had lunch in the Lido where I met up with Frances and Tony.  They had walked downtown in the heat and were in need of lunch, too.

Trivia was at 4, and with all aboard at 4:30 there were more players than yesterday.  I had only 8 of 17 and the winners had all correct.

1. 1. The movie “The Beach “ was filmed in which country?
  2. 2. What is the state pie of Florida?
  3. 3. Who was the first female singer inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame?
  4. 4. Who had the most home runs in a single season?
  5. 5. Who was the lead singer of Genesis before Phil Collins?

1. 1. Thailand
  2. 2. Key lime
  3. 3. Aretha Franklin
  4. 4. Bobby Bonds
  5. 5. Peter Gabriel

After trivia I sat on my balcony as we sailed away.

We were back to the Club Orange dining room for dinner.  We were all tired so we didn’t go to the show (a comedian).

Smooth sailing until next time!

• Like 10
  • Thanks 3

I really appreciate your reports! They're helping us get ready for next week when you bring the ship back so we can use it.

Thank you for bringing us along on your triumphant return to cruising. 😁

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, POA1 said:

I really appreciate your reports! They're helping us get ready for next week when you bring the ship back so we can use it.

Thank you for bringing us along on your triumphant return to cruising. 😁

She really is a beautiful ship.  Enjoy your cruise!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Quiet day in Barbados- March 23, 2024

I have been to Barbados twice so I had made no plans to get off.  Pre-cancer I would have gone for a walk around the pier area but now I conserve energy where I can.

I watched tv after sleeping in until 9 and must admit I am spoiled with the nice TV not on the small ships.  Lunch in the Lido and then into the Lido pool for an hour.  It was a partly cloudy day so it wasn’t too hot to sit in the sun afterwards.  Frances and Tony came by and we talked about their morning beach excursion.  

Trivia at 4.  I had 11/17 and the winners had 14.

1.  What country’s motto is “Sea to sea”?
2.  In what Disney movie is Clayton the villain?

3.  Where is the largest active volcano?
4.  In what year did the first Barbie come out?

5.  What are the names of the three fairy godmothers in Sleeping Beauty?

1. Canada

2. Tarzan

3. Hawaii

4. 1959

5. Flora, Fauna, and Merryweather

I went to Shore Excursions about the one they wouldn’t let me on with the rollator and was told it had been taken off my account.  I found a seat in the Crow’s Nest (it was Happy Hour so it was packed) to watch the sail-away.  First they announced for a family that was missing and then, a few minutes later, we weren’t going to sail for an hour.  I gave up and went back to my cabin and took a nap.

Dinner was delicious as usual and then we went to the show.  It was ballet and not our cup of tea.

Guadeloupe tomorrow.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

HI Kathi!  How great it is to be reading of your adventures once again!  I am so glad to see you experiencing cruising and enjoying the ship, travelling, friends, and trivia and sharing them all with us!  I have missed you!

Hello   So great to read your reports.  Always fun & interesting.  Thanks for letting us tag along.  We just got off the Rotterdam when you got on.  Beautiful ship - except for the SMOKE!  We had real trouble with that.  

Very best wishes, 

Mooseridge

• Like 1

On 3/22/2024 at 5:01 PM, Scrapnana said:

On 3/22/2024 at 2:55 AM, oakridger said:

I love the "Spent more time on the balcony (enjoying a Margarita)" part of your day!! 

Sounds so relaxing!  🙂

~Nancy

1000% agree: Margaritas + more balcony time = relaxing cruise!

Quite enjoying reading about your cruise @Scrapnana and happy to hear you're back and enjoying yourself. 

• Thanks 1

Visiting the spa in Guadeloupe- March 24, 2024

I had booked an excursion at home and I still don’t know why since it was classified as “moderate”.  Later I realized it had poor reviews so I canceled it once onboard.  Nothing else appealed so my plan was to spend the day in the spa for my free five star day.  Turns out I am not much of a spa person.  The hydro pool was what I was looking forward to but it wasn’t much more than a large hot tub with a couple of showers that pumped out water so strong that my thin skin would have bruised under it.  I stayed in for about 20 minutes and then sat on one of the tile, heated lounges.  I did not find it real comfortable and left after about 25 minutes.  

I contemplated going back after lunch but Frances and Tony came by while I was eating so we sat and talked about their morning.  They had walked off the ship and looked around but didn’t find anything exciting.  Afterwards I had no desire to go back to the spa so I had a gelato instead.  The gelato is another thing I like about the larger ships.

At 4:00 trivia I had 13 of 17.  A team won with all 17.

1.  Which two planets are known as “ice giants “?
2.  The first iPhone came out in what year?

3,  Which blood type is the Universal Donor?

4.  What does the “E” in Chuck E. Cheese stand for?

5.  Who played Winifred in Hocus Pocus?

1.Neptune and Uranus

2. 2007

3. O-

4. Entertainment 

5. Bette Midler

After dinner (another delicious one), I listened to Derek (plays piano in the billboard lounge) play hits of the 70s.

Another great thing about this ship has been the wi-fi. The internet has really been good.  I have had no problems connecting or staying on and the speed has been great.  I have the “Surf” package which came with the Have It All deal.  I don’t stream so that has not been an issue.

St. Kitts tomorrow.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, alibabacruisers said:

HI Kathi!  How great it is to be reading of your adventures once again!  I am so glad to see you experiencing cruising and enjoying the ship, travelling, friends, and trivia and sharing them all with us!  I have missed you!

Hope you are doing well!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Scrapnana said:

The hydro pool was what I was looking forward to but it wasn’t much more than a large hot tub with a couple of showers that pumped out water so strong that my thin skin would have bruised under it.  I stayed in for about 20 minutes and then sat on one of the tile, heated lounges.  I did not find it real comfortable and left after about 25 minutes.  

Doesn't sound like anything I would enjoy either. I use the spray setting with my showers. The tile lounger sounds excruciating for my back. The heat would have been fine. Good thing it was 'free'. Thanks for the descriptions.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Happily@Sea said:

Doesn't sound like anything I would enjoy either. I use the spray setting with my showers. The tile lounger sounds excruciating for my back. The heat would have been fine. Good thing it was 'free'. Thanks for the descriptions.

I would not have been happy if I had to pay for it.  I think it’s about $100.  Fine, if you enjoy steam, saunas, and hot tubs but it was definitely not my thing.

• Like 1

On 3/24/2024 at 8:57 AM, Scrapnana said:

I went to Shore Excursions about the one they wouldn’t let me on with the rollator and was told it had been taken off my account.

Kathi, so glad to read about your adventures back on a dam ship! One thing I have learned is that shorex usually has one manager who specializes in knowing the "accessible" details about excursions. When I fractured my kneecap on the 2023 world cruise, they went over each of the excursions I had booked with more detail than in the description eg number of steps, number of stairs, etc. Once I may more ambulatory, they even emailed a tour operator asking for a photo of the access to a boat. It really helped me to be able to decide ahead of time what I could do.

• Like 4

Nice to read your review:-)

What is the age demographic for this cruise? I am considering a cruise onboard the Rotterdam in november. Have red that there are mainly "older" passengers cruising HAL, what is your impression? I am 46 years old. 

How would your compare this ship with others from other cruise lines? And is the food overal good? 

Riding the rails through St. Kitts - March 25, 2024

Since my excursion didn’t leave until 12:30, I had a very leisurely morning.  At 11 I had an early lunch at the Grand Dutch Cafe and then started the walk to the meeting place (Have I mentioned that all the excursions meet on the pier?  They also are not using the number stickers.).  We were warned that the walk could be as much as three ship lengths so I left early since I walk slowly.  I made it with plenty of time to spare.

There was about a ten minute drive to the “St. Kitts Scenic Railway “.  The rail cars are double deckers but unfortunately the liquid sunshine was pouring down so not many went upstairs to the open space.  The ride lasted around 90 minutes and the sun came out about half way.  We were given rum drinks along the way.

Our driver/guide picked us up for the 30 minute drive back and along the way we saw the churchyard where Thomas Jefferson’s great, great grandfather is buried.  We were among the last to return for the 4:30 all aboard time.

Today is Frances’s and Tony’s 19th anniversary so they were dining at the Pinnacle.  I ate there also but earlier so they could celebrate.  The meal was so good - I had the candied bacon, filet mignon, mashed potatoes, and key lime pie.

Chris Bannister performed again (last time was John Denver songs) singing a variety of songs.  He got a standing ovation again.  

I was too tired to attend the Orange Party but I was impressed by how many wore Orange.

I have always thought that you meet the nicest people on cruises and this one is no exception.  I have been amazed how kind and helpful people are.  Whether it is holding a door or the elevator for me, making space, or helping if I need something, someone is willing to help.  Today I had two different ladies offer to push my wheelchair along the pier so I would not have to walk so far.  Nice to meet so many caring people.

San Juan tomorrow.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, WriterOnDeck said:

Kathi, so glad to read about your adventures back on a dam ship! One thing I have learned is that shorex usually has one manager who specializes in knowing the "accessible" details about excursions. When I fractured my kneecap on the 2023 world cruise, they went over each of the excursions I had booked with more detail than in the description eg number of steps, number of stairs, etc. Once I may more ambulatory, they even emailed a tour operator asking for a photo of the access to a boat. It really helped me to be able to decide ahead of time what I could do.

Good to know.  Thanks!

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, magnus1977 said:

Nice to read your review:-)

What is the age demographic for this cruise? I am considering a cruise onboard the Rotterdam in november. Have red that there are mainly "older" passengers cruising HAL, what is your impression? I am 46 years old. 

How would your compare this ship with others from other cruise lines? And is the food overal good? 

HAL does tend to attract an older demographic, especially on longer cruises.  This is a 12-day cruise and there is fair number of middle aged people and families.

I have found the food very good.

Rotterdam is a lovely ship and the newest in the fleet.  I also like that it is a mid-sized ship and you are not cruising with 4000+ of your closest friends.

• Like 4