LIVE from ms Rotterdam March 17-29, 2024

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"And another from patrickmoran! Thank you for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic! See your post featured on our: Click: Cruise Reports page. When you return, please consider submitting it to the site for publication as well: Click: Write a Review"

Scrapnana was awarded the badge '"Live from...."' and 5 points.

After battling cancer for the last fifteen months, I am finally able to go cruising again.  Two friends (we all worked at the same school) were planning this cruise and asked if I wanted to go.  I said yes even though I still don't walk very well or for very long.  Although I likely won't get off at every port, I will be happy just to be back on a 'dam' ship.

Some of you may have read the blog I usually write on cruises.  This time I am just going to have this "Live" thread.  I will try to update it each day provided my stamina and the onboard internet cooperate.  

We fly out before dawn on Saturday morning and arrive in FLL around 9am.  We plan on enjoying the pool most of the day before boarding the ship on Sunday.  For those who watch the webcam, I have requested a wave.  I will be midship on the Promenade Deck waving the HAL flag. https://www.portevergladeswebcam.com/

Our Itinerary - 12-day Southern Caribbean

DAY    DATE           PORT                                                           ARRIVE                  DEPART

Sun    Mar 17         FORT LAUDERDALE, FLORIDA, US                                           3:00pm

Mon   Mar 18         At Sea

Tue    Mar 19         At Sea

Wed   Mar 20         PHILIPSBURG, SINT MAARTEN                  8:00am                   6:00pm

Thu    Mar 21         ST. JOHNS, ANTIGUA AND BARBUDA        8:00am                   9:00pm

Fri      Mar 22         FORT-DE-FRANCE, MARTINIQUE              8:00am                   5:00pm

Sat     Mar 23         BRIDGETOWN, BARBADOS                       8:00am                   5:00pm

Sun    Mar 24         POINT-A-PITRE, GUADELOUPE                 8:00am                   5:00pm

Mon   Mar 25         BASSETERRE, ST KITTS AND NEVIS         8:00am                   5:00pm

Tue    Mar 26         SAN JUAN, PUERTO RICO                         8:00am                   6:00pm

Wed   Mar 27         At Sea

Thu    Mar 28        HALF MOON CAY, BAHAMAS                      8:00am                    3:00pm

Fri      Mar 29        FORT LAUDERDALE, FLORIDA, US           7:00am

Smooth sailing until next time!

• Like 43
  • Thanks 2

I am smiling reading this!  I have enjoyed your blog and CC posts so much over the years and it's wonderful to hear you will be back to sea in a few days!  Take it easy and enjoy every minute!

~Nancy

• Like 7

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Scrapnana said:

After battling cancer for the last fifteen months, I am finally able to go cruising again.  Two friends (we all worked at the same school) were planning this cruise and asked if I wanted to go.  I said yes even though I still don't walk very well or for very long.  Although I likely won't get off at every port, I will be happy just to be back on a 'dam' ship.

Some of you may have read the blog I usually write on cruises.  This time I am just going to have this "Live" thread.  I will try to update it each day provided my stamina and the onboard internet cooperate.  

We fly out before dawn on Saturday morning and arrive in FLL around 9am.  We plan on enjoying the pool most of the day before boarding the ship on Sunday.  For those who watch the webcam, I have requested a wave.  I will be midship on the Promenade Deck waving the HAL flag. https://www.portevergladeswebcam.com/

Our Itinerary - 12-day Southern Caribbean

DAY    DATE           PORT                                                           ARRIVE                  DEPART

Sun    Mar 17         FORT LAUDERDALE, FLORIDA, US                                           3:00pm

Mon   Mar 18         At Sea

Tue    Mar 19         At Sea

Wed   Mar 20         PHILIPSBURG, SINT MAARTEN                  8:00am                   6:00pm

Thu    Mar 21         ST. JOHNS, ANTIGUA AND BARBUDA        8:00am                   9:00pm

Fri      Mar 22         FORT-DE-FRANCE, MARTINIQUE              8:00am                   5:00pm

Sat     Mar 23         BRIDGETOWN, BARBADOS                       8:00am                   5:00pm

Sun    Mar 24         POINT-A-PITRE, GUADELOUPE                 8:00am                   5:00pm

Mon   Mar 25         BASSETERRE, ST KITTS AND NEVIS         8:00am                   5:00pm

Tue    Mar 26         SAN JUAN, PUERTO RICO                         8:00am                   6:00pm

Wed   Mar 27         At Sea

Thu    Mar 28        HALF MOON CAY, BAHAMAS                      8:00am                    3:00pm

Fri      Mar 29        FORT LAUDERDALE, FLORIDA, US           7:00am

Congratulations on boarding another cruise.  We’re on the current cruise and I promise we’ll bring the ship back to you on the 17th.  I’ve also battled cancer for the last 2 years and I’ll be waiting for you with open arms.  Congratulations on resuming your cruising.

Edited by Ipeeinthepools
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)

Kathi myself, my best friend and my daughter will be on this cruise too. I'll actually be on the Rotterdam for 28 days doing a B2B2B.  I'm hoping at some point to get to meet you as I have always enjoyed your thoughtful and knowledgeable posts here on CC. So far the weather in FLL looks wonderful.

Edited by regnig
grammer
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Is this still a test cruise?  Wishing you a wonderful time, and I'm glad you have that support system with you.

Roy

Still a test to see if I can do the Pole to Pole next year.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

I'm so pleased to see you're back to cruising; I do hope you feel well throughout the entire voyage.  I'll be watching for you tomorrow with the sail-away gang; we'll try to get a screen shot to share with you.

Bon Voyage!!!

• Like 3

Happy to see you cruising and posting again, Kathi.  Five years ago, St. Patrick's Day on the Prinsendam I have a picture of us in our greenery!  A lot of water under the bridge since then.  Have a wonderful cruise.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Vict0riann said:

Happy to see you cruising and posting again, Kathi.  Five years ago, St. Patrick's Day on the Prinsendam I have a picture of us in our greenery!  A lot of water under the bridge since then.  Have a wonderful cruise.

It doesn't seem like five years.  That was a fabulous cruise.  

• Like 4

So wonderful to see you are able to cruise again, Kathi 👍 

You deserve the most fabulous time possible after all you have had to endure.

Bon Voyage - have an absolutely wonderful time 🙂 

• Like 4

Leaving on a Jet Plane - March 16, 2024

My friends (Frances and Tony) and I arrived at the airport just before 5am.  Check-in was quick and easy and since we were all TSA pre approved, getting through security was a breeze.  The two hour flight was smooth (admittedly I slept through half of it) and the plane was not full (I was the only one in my row -everyone seemed to pick the back of the plane).  We were able to get a van for our 7 bags and my rollator/wheelchair to get to the hotel and our rooms were ready at 10.

We are staying at the Renaissance on SE 17th Street.  I like it because of its proximity to restaurants and stores.  We walked to a hoagie shop for lunch, made a stop at Walgreens, and then came back to spend the afternoon at the pool. Dinner was a delicious meal at Carrabba’s (also a short walk) with a great server.  We made it an early evening since none of us got a full night’s sleep last night.  Now if we can just get our luggage and us down stairs easily in the morning… more on that tomorrow.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, POA1 said:

Have a great trip! Please take good care of the ship. We're boarding the day you disembark.😁

I will do my best!

Do you know what that huge building going up on the corner of SE 17th and Eisenhower is?  We have been debating offices vs. apartments/condos.  

• Like 2