Cake Party?

I was on the Eurodam last month, and am currently on the Nieuw Statendam. On both ships there is an event called “Cake Me Away” in the Lido on the last sea day. There are about 15 different kinds of cakes offered. You line up and can take slices from any cake. Here’s a photo from the Eurodam.

IMG_8546.jpeg

• Like 2

We had one on the cruise I just disembarked from - the Zaandam. And we also had something called Cake for Sake. (Not sure if that was because it was a Legendary cruise or because it was long -28 days). Some pics. 

IMG_5170.jpeg

IMG_5171.jpeg

IMG_7499.jpeg

IMG_7503.jpeg

• Like 3

We were on Nieuw Statendam in February, there was a cake day...didn't get any pictures.  The one I tried was delicious!  There were also special cakes for the Super Bowl party! 

• Like 1

It was recently on a 7 day cruise I enjoyed.

Personally , I wouldnt call it a “Cake Party”….. it was a bunch of wonderfully decorated cakes behind the counter.  Curiously, very few people were in line to enjoy them.

The cake event is offered on all sailings 7 days or longer. (At least according to the press release last fall.) We missed it in December, because we did a terrible job of reading the daily program. We were so happy to be back on a ship that we didn't really read the events list.

We plan to correct that in two weeks. On this voyage, we plan to know what we're missing ahead of time. 😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, POA1 said:

The cake event is offered on all sailings 7 days or longer. (At least according to the press release last fall.) We missed it in December, because we did a terrible job of reading the daily program. We were so happy to be back on a ship that we didn't really read the events list.

We plan to correct that in two weeks. On this voyage, we plan to know what we're missing ahead of time. 😄

We will expect a proper report with the findings of your "research" into this event.😉

3 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

We will expect a proper report with the findings of your "research" into this event.😉

We plan to check out the cake event. The fact that we missed it goes a long way toward explaining why people don't trust the science as much.

• Haha 2

40 minutes ago, Gunther1 said:

Personally , I wouldnt call it a “Cake Party”….. it was a bunch of wonderfully decorated cakes behind the counter.  Curiously, very few people were in line to enjoy them.

There was a long line on Zaandam last month. They had the cakes out at 11:30, but didn't serve until noon, so people could take pictures. I didn't feel like waiting in the long line, so I just got a dessert from the usual dessert station. I went back around 12:30, and there was plenty of cake left, so no need to rush to be first in the line.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Gunther1 said:

K'dam Jan lines were all the way to the door with people waiting for the cakes. Cruise Director (in blue sweater) took pictures on her phone and showed them to people waiting in line.

20240105_193855.thumb.jpg.79be6f9d5721a239b24521849b58930a.jpg

20240105_201118.thumb.jpg.5e0a0ef1a2291320d14f8aaa21c247fe.jpg

20240105_201131.thumb.jpg.d4e0855ac717f65db665af87c12dc5bb.jpg

53 minutes ago, POA1 said:

We plan to check out the cake event. The fact that we missed it goes a long way toward explaining why people don't trust the science as much.

I have great faith in the research of the Institute and look forward to your report and pictures. No doubt they'll go all out, being an Easter cruise.

True confession- I stumbled onto it in Jan wondering why the long line as I passed through the Lido. 🥺🙄

4 minutes ago, Navybikermom said:

Do they label the cakes so you don’t have to guess what’s under that lovely frosting? I would hate to have to ask what each one is, slowing down the process 🤨.

Yes, they do label the cakes.  We just got off Nieuw Statendam last week and as everyone has said, the cakes were very good.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Navybikermom said:

Yippee! I hope the portions are small because I want to try so many of them! And then walk up and down the stairs for the next two hours working off all those calories… 🥰

K'dam the portions were not small. When I asked to have a thinner slice (they were not self serve as @nooligans experiences on Eurodam, they were served by crew as @Nickelpenny had on Zaandam) I was told it was too soft. So you have to select a different kind if you want a smaller portion- my leftover half eaten piece found its way to my cabin fridge. 😊There are also some in little jars, they looked small but hold a lot. 

• Thanks 1

We were on the Eurodam back in January and they had about 20 cakes, ALL well labeled, and yes, it was really popular with everyone.  Fortunately, we were there early and had a large choice.  They had a list of cakes posted and being handed around

It was great   I do NOT remember it on the Konigsdam in December 2022.

22 minutes ago, jlawrence01 said:

..I do NOT remember it on the Konigsdam in December 2022.

No - we did didn't have it on K'dam Dec 2022, either. We DID have it K'dam Dec 21 2023 - Jan 6 2024 sailing. The pictures I posted above in #12 are from that cruise.

Nor did we have it on Eurodam April/May '23 or NS Oct/Nov '23. I don't remember if we had it NS Nov/Dec '23, I would have to check my pictures. 

I just reread the daily programs for our NS cruise in December. No mention in the events. Is it hidden in the Lido lunch menu? Or, on our sailing, were they just fakin' with no cake 'n' stuff?

18 minutes ago, POA1 said:

I just reread the daily programs for our NS cruise in December. No mention in the events. Is it hidden in the Lido lunch menu? Or, on our sailing, were they just fakin' with no cake 'n' stuff?

Navigator doesn’t update properly for a lot of stuff until you are on board in my experience.  

You may have to be patient 😉 

3 minutes ago, kazu said:

Navigator doesn’t update properly for a lot of stuff until you are on board in my experience.  

You may have to be patient 😉 

Thanks. I was referring to the paper ones. I scanned all of ours for future reference. There was nothing referring to the cake event. I even reread them on my tablet in case I couldn't see it on my phone.

In fairness, I think we were in the Lido once during the whole week. And that was just cutting through.

We were so fascinated by the concept of being on a ship that we forgot to look for cake. A mistake we don't intend to repeat.

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, POA1 said:

Thanks. I was referring to the paper ones. I scanned all of ours for future reference. There was nothing referring to the cake event. I even reread them on my tablet in case I couldn't see it on my phone.

In fairness, I think we were in the Lido once during the whole week. And that was just cutting through.

We were so fascinated by the concept of being on a ship that we forgot to look for cake. A mistake we don't intend to repeat.

We will be waiting with bated breath for the cake pictures from your next cruise! 🍰