Golden Lion

burnsva

Speaking of the Golden Lion, does anyone have a photo of the current food menu they could post?  Not a website link, an actual photo of the menu you took recently showing the food options.

Menu is slightly different on QV and QM not sure about QE as it’s a couple of years since I sailed on her. Feel it was same as QV. Evening menus are  different . Queen Anne menus not available yet. Surprisingly QM has the least choice but on either ship it’s my lunch time go to of choice unless lasagne on the menu in Britannia. 

7 hours ago, burnsva said:

Is the Golden Lion open for dinner on all four Queens?

QM2 programmes posted on a thread here in December only showed it serving lunch.

I have read that it is open on at least one of QE & QV. Don't know about QA.

8 hours ago, burnsva said:

Is the Golden Lion open for dinner on all four Queens?

Evening meals are served ONLY occasionally on Q.Vic& QE., I noticed it was offered on two or three evenings in October 2023(Q.Vic) and on a couple of the evenings on QE ( Alaska cruise 2018) I expect this was to accommodate those who returned back to the ship after a late evening shore side tour.

Evening meals in the Pub are not set in stone you will need to manage this once onboard, your daily programme will advise you.

Edited to add;

There is a possibility that QA will be offering evening meals in the Golden Lion on a regular basis as we understand Cunard have partnered with Michel Roux who will be reimagining some of the classic Pub favourites.   

6 minutes ago, Bell Boy said:

Evening meals are served ONLY occasionally on Q.Vic& QE., I noticed it was offered on two or three evenings in October 2023(Q.Vic) and on a couple of the evenings on QE ( Alaska cruise 2018) I expect this was to accommodate those who returned back to the ship after a late evening shore side tour.

Evening meals in the Pub are not set in stone you will need to manage this once onboard, your daily programme will advise you.

Edited to add;

There is a possibility that QA will be offering evening meals in the Golden Lion on a regular basis as we understand Cunard have partnered with Michel Roux who will be reimagining some of the classic Pub favourites.   

I do find this quite strange. Having enjoyed a few meals in Le Gavroche over the years, I should not have thought pub food was MR’s forte.

1 hour ago, exlondoner said:

I do find this quite strange. Having enjoyed a few meals in Le Gavroche over the years, I should not have thought pub food was MR’s forte.

But as he has now closed Le Gavroche he needs to earn a bob or two somewhere😉

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

A December menu from QM2 is in post 5 of this thread:

And a QV in January this year had the same menu (from memory). Only lunch offered in both cases since all days were at sea, so no late arriving excursions to worry about.

Edited by Pushpit
  • Thanks 1

Here is the Golden Lion menu from QM2 last week. The daily program made no mention of the Golden Lion offering dinner on any night of my voyage. Unfortunatley the day I had the fish & chips it wasn't good. You needed an axe to cut through the thick batter, the replacement dish was only marginally better !!

20240228_123656.thumb.jpg.c52c10e02873e609ccee4d0ddbda3f3a.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned that on occasion lobster roll is offered as a special but there is a charge for it. Had it on the QE this past Aug/Sept and on the QM2 a few years ago Yummmy.

Jack

56 minutes ago, Jack E Dawson said:

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned that on occasion lobster roll is offered as a special but there is a charge for it. Had it on the QE this past Aug/Sept and on the QM2 a few years ago Yummmy.

Jack

Really?  Do they print it on the Golden Lion menu when it is available?  Or it’s posted on some kind of “specials” board?

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, QM2_SYD said:

Here is the Golden Lion menu from QM2 last week. The daily program made no mention of the Golden Lion offering dinner on any night of my voyage. Unfortunatley the day I had the fish & chips it wasn't good. You needed an axe to cut through the thick batter, the replacement dish was only marginally better !!

20240228_123656.thumb.jpg.c52c10e02873e609ccee4d0ddbda3f3a.jpg

Yes, that's the same menu we had on an earlier leg of that voyage (i.e. Fremantle to Sydney). Must admit I too was very disappointed with the fish and chips, have had so much better at many places in Australia. Also disappointed at the limited menu: no

Edited by maggielou362

10 hours ago, ChrisMV said:

Really?  Do they print it on the Golden Lion menu when it is available?  Or it’s posted on some kind of “specials” board?

Posted on a board on the bar counter at the entrance to the Golden Lion but we usually just hear someone at a nearby table ordering it. 

Jack

• Thanks 1

We are looking forward to our first TA on the QM2 this coming June - and hope to have lunch at the Golden Lion.  I have heard that the pub is difficult to get into because it is so crowded with non-diners.  Is it possible to reserve a spot?

Thanks...

No, it's not possible to reserve a spot (and it would be counter-productive if you could - everywhere would be reserved!). Yes it can be crowded. But the trick is to go somewhere with good sight lines, hang around for a few minutes and you will soon see a table which is about to be made empty. So long as you are not too fussy about where you are sat - some of the tables are a bit strange for a pub - then you will get somewhere fairly soon. The exception would be if you are running close to the deadline for food service, which is 4pm on departure days, 2:30pm on other days for QM2 (slightly different on QE and QV). Then you really need to be in a good 30 minutes beforehand in case table movement isn't as fast as you would like.

35 minutes ago, ponstad said:

I have heard that the pub is difficult to get into because it is so crowded with non-diners.

As Pushpit has mentioned, the Golden Lion on the QM2 can be difficult to get a seat at. This was especially true during the height of COVID restrictions when a couple of tables were removed and passengers were also not allowed to sit at the bar. However, those restrictions have been lifted and that has helped out. You are also correct that there will often be a few passengers individually occupying tables/booths for 4 just sitting there reading without ever ordering anything to eat or drink. However, the food and drink in the Golden Lion is great and well worth the wait to be seated. 

Jack

2 hours ago, ponstad said:

I have heard that the pub is difficult to get into because it is so crowded with non-diners.

1 hour ago, Jack E Dawson said:

You are also correct that there will often be a few passengers individually occupying tables/booths for 4 just sitting there reading without ever ordering anything to eat or drink.

We don't normally eat or drink in pubs, I prefer restaurants.

However if we did and came across a table where one person was sitting as described and there were no other suitable tables, we would just sit down beside them and slurp our drinks, eat messily and chat.

I would defend the right of someone to sit drinking in a pub, I thought that was what pubs were for, but occupying a seat while not drinking seems very inconsiderate.

• Like 1

We sometimes attend a activity the hour before with seating available and just remain till the dining time starts. 

You also have more of a chance on longer day voyages with more time to attempt dining. We find it works.