13 year old staying in contact on SOS with an old iPhone- no cell service

We are traveling with our just turned 13 yr old (who really has the social and emotional maturity of 10yr old)- and I see that SOS has 13 in the teen club.  I’ve also been told that because he will be 13 that he couldn’t age down to the 9-11 because it’s over a year past the age limit (that would be ours and his first choice.)We are trying to figure out a way to keep in touch- wondering if an old iPhone with the WiFi package would work- anyone done this before? I’m not overprotective- but this kid really struggles socially and I want him to be able to contact any new friends he may make in the teen area. I also need it because his sense of direction is poor and I don’t know that he can find us if he leaves the area. He’s so sad that he’s aging out because he LOVES adventure ocean so much and all the activities- doesn’t like the slides or anything else except the miniature golf.  

1 minute ago, kayguz said:

wondering if an old iPhone with the WiFi package would work-

Yes, but you don't need the Wi-Fi package to use the texting feature within the app.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Biker19 said:

Yes, but you don't need the Wi-Fi package to use the texting feature within the app.

Texting feature in app works less than 50% of the time. Get the Wifi package and not worry. 

I would set the phone to allow Wi-Fi calling before leaving your house. Then on the ship set phone to airplane mode and then your teen can either call or text you. Make sure your phones are set for this, as well. Of course, you will have to have the internet purchased to do this but that is what we do and it works well.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Jussabitconfused said:

I would set the phone to allow Wi-Fi calling before leaving your house. Then on the ship set phone to airplane mode and then your teen can either call or text you. Make sure your phones are set for this, as well. Of course, you will have to have the internet purchased to do this but that is what we do and it works well.

If the phone does not have an active SIM card (as it seems to indicate in the OP) , WiFi calling will not work

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

If the phone does not have an active SIM card (as it seems to indicate in the OP) , WiFi calling will not work

That's true. Old we assume is not active. Well...he is 13yrs old. Time for a phone anyway. LOL.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, DennysDad said:

Texting feature in app works less than 50% of the time.  

How well the feature works varies quite a bit among reporting users. For the use case for the OP, it is a pretty good low cost solution.

Edited by Biker19

4 hours ago, kayguz said:

- wondering if an old iPhone [snip] would work- anyone done this before?

Note that the Royal Caribbean app (required for the chat feature) requires iOS 15 or higher.

iPhone 6s is the oldest that supports iOS 15.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Ok- I need to figure out about the SIM card.  We were planning on getting the wifi package and setting that up for him- but had hoped the i-message and wifi calling would work.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

Note that the Royal Caribbean app (required for the chat feature) requires iOS 15 or higher.

iPhone 6s is the oldest that supports iOS 15.

Thanks.  We've not had good luck with RC messaging app- so we weren't considering that option at all.  

2 hours ago, DennysDad said:

That's true. Old we assume is not active. Well...he is 13yrs old. Time for a phone anyway. LOL.

We've been avoiding the phone- he's in a small private school so it actually hasn't been an issue yet and he hasn't even asked about it.  He has difficulty with electronics (meaning more than 20 mins a day on a game equals very challenging behavior the rest of the day) - so trying to drag our feet as long as possible! Again, his maturity level is much younger.  He is kid #6 and he's giving us a run for our money for sure!

9 minutes ago, kayguz said:

Ok- I need to figure out about the SIM card.  We were planning on getting the wifi package and setting that up for him- but had hoped the i-message and wifi calling would work.  

You can use the WiFi package and WhatsApp without a sim card. 

• Like 1