Live from the Vista - March 27 (Miami) to May 1 (Trieste)

Hlitner

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, shepherd really said:

But then the rest of your cruise you are stuck on Celebrity, so no thanks.

Haha! Point taken. We are trying Oceania because we have become disillusioned with Celebrity, but I have always enjoyed the warm welcome, and yes, the proffered glass of bubbly…whatever it is! 🙃

Edited by durberville
  • Like 6

22 hours ago, LuAnn said:

The pizza served at Waves in the evening is much better and totally different that what is found in the Terrace...at least that was my experience. If you 2 like pizza you might try it there. 

Agree 100%.  Also at Waves in the evening you are not limited to the combinations on the menu, you can customize any pizza with whatever toppings are available.

• Like 5

Good Afternoon Folks,

Over our long cruise life we have found that it usually takes us about 24 hours to form an opinion of a ship/cruise.  In the case of the Vista, both DW and I are equally impressed and have mostly good to say about the ship and O.  So, Flatbush Flyer can breathe easy and say, "I told you so."  

Our cabin (a B2 balcony on deck 8 was absolutely quiet last night.  We did not hear any noice from our neighbors or anything else.  Our thermostat functions perfectly and it was nice to be in a nice cool, quiet, cabin for our first night's sleep.  

Today we had a short port day at Great Stirrup Cay, which is a long held property of NCLH in the Berry Islands (Bahamas).  We decided to stay aboard since it was only in the high 70s, and we saw no reason to leave the Vista for a beach morning.  I say morning because the last tender was at 1:30.  

Last evening we enjoyed our first Vista dinner at Red Ginger, where we had a shared table with a very nice couple from Texas.  We were seated at 7pm (our reservation time) and did not finish dinner until 9:40!  Part of the reason for the very long dinner was that nobody took our food order for nearly 30 minutes and our first food did not arrive until around 8pm.  But long dinners do fit our style, the company was good, and I think all 4 of us enjoyed the evening and the food.  I was looking forward to trying the spicy duck/watermelon salad and it was quite good.  Not the best I have ever enjoyed, but darn good for a cruise ship.  I had the rack of lamb, for my main, and they were also good and properly cooked to my "medium" request.  I am also somewhat impressed by the wine offerings (by the glass) which are as good, if not better, than what we have received on several luxury lines.  

After dinner, DW decided to turn-in early (it was a long day) and I went to Martini's for some victuals.  At the bar I met two nice couples including a younger German couple who were impressed by the Vista.  I have purchased the upgraded drink package and the offerings at the bar were quite good.  "Anthony" entertained us with both piano and voice and was delightful.  

Lets talk about breakfast on the Vista.  There are ONLY 6 options which is quite amazing for a ship of only 1200 passengers.  One could get room service (with a pretty full menu).  The Grand Dining Room was also opened for breakfast.  But than we had Waves, Aquamar, Terrace Cafe, and Baristas.  DW and I decided to just go to Baristas where we enjoyed some pastries and cappuccino.  The croissants were the best we have had on any cruise ship.  Baristas is basically a self-service venue with several waiters standing-by to clear tables and offer any help (they took DW's tea from her hand and carried it to our table).  We were both very impressed with the venue and it holds its own against a similar venue on Explora Journey 1.  If doing more comparisons I would rate it a much better venue then what is offered on Seabourn (Seabourn Square).

We spent much of our day on deck 12 (pool deck) and also walked around deck 14 (the miniature golf course is a nice touch as is the pickle ball court).  The deck chairs are among the most comfortable found on any ship.  I noticed that my Bloody Mary was made using Mr and Mrs T mix, but the bar tender skillfully enhanced it with spices to meet my request for a "spicy Bloody Mary."

Lunch was at waves, and my Wagyu Burger (topped with lobster chunks) was excellent as were the thick cut French fries.  I love the Wave lunch menu and am happy that we will have more than a month to try everything!  There was a Filipino band (trio) with terrific singer that entertained us with a 45 min sail-away set.  That band is quite good, so we are batting 1000 with the entertainment (up to this point).  

So, my friends, where is the negative stuff?  When O decided to cancel our visit to Bermuda (due to a bad weather forecast) I could not understand why they did not extend the length of our visit to Great Stirrup Cay.  There were no other ships and a 2pm departure was a bit early.  We now have a week of sea days (DW and I love sea days) and the Vista will not need to break any speed records to get us Horta on time.  But that is being nitpicky since we cannot criticize a ship for sticking to their schedule.  

Hank

• Like 15
  • Thanks 6

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

Good Afternoon Folks,

Over our long cruise life we have found that it usually takes us about 24 hours to form an opinion of a ship/cruise.  In the case of the Vista, both DW and I are equally impressed and have mostly good to say about the ship and O.  So, Flatbush Flyer can breathe easy and say, "I told you so."  

Our cabin (a B2 balcony on deck 8 was absolutely quiet last night.  We did not hear any noice from our neighbors or anything else.  Our thermostat functions perfectly and it was nice to be in a nice cool, quiet, cabin for our first night's sleep.  

Today we had a short port day at Great Stirrup Cay, which is a long held property of NCLH in the Berry Islands (Bahamas).  We decided to stay aboard since it was only in the high 70s, and we saw no reason to leave the Vista for a beach morning.  I say morning because the last tender was at 1:30.  

Last evening we enjoyed our first Vista dinner at Red Ginger, where we had a shared table with a very nice couple from Texas.  We were seated at 7pm (our reservation time) and did not finish dinner until 9:40!  Part of the reason for the very long dinner was that nobody took our food order for nearly 30 minutes and our first food did not arrive until around 8pm.  But long dinners do fit our style, the company was good, and I think all 4 of us enjoyed the evening and the food.  I was looking forward to trying the spicy duck/watermelon salad and it was quite good.  Not the best I have ever enjoyed, but darn good for a cruise ship.  I had the rack of lamb, for my main, and they were also good and properly cooked to my "medium" request.  I am also somewhat impressed by the wine offerings (by the glass) which are as good, if not better, than what we have received on several luxury lines.  

After dinner, DW decided to turn-in early (it was a long day) and I went to Martini's for some victuals.  At the bar I met two nice couples including a younger German couple who were impressed by the Vista.  I have purchased the upgraded drink package and the offerings at the bar were quite good.  "Anthony" entertained us with both piano and voice and was delightful.  

Lets talk about breakfast on the Vista.  There are ONLY 6 options which is quite amazing for a ship of only 1200 passengers.  One could get room service (with a pretty full menu).  The Grand Dining Room was also opened for breakfast.  But than we had Waves, Aquamar, Terrace Cafe, and Baristas.  DW and I decided to just go to Baristas where we enjoyed some pastries and cappuccino.  The croissants were the best we have had on any cruise ship.  Baristas is basically a self-service venue with several waiters standing-by to clear tables and offer any help (they took DW's tea from her hand and carried it to our table).  We were both very impressed with the venue and it holds its own against a similar venue on Explora Journey 1.  If doing more comparisons I would rate it a much better venue then what is offered on Seabourn (Seabourn Square).

We spent much of our day on deck 12 (pool deck) and also walked around deck 14 (the miniature golf course is a nice touch as is the pickle ball court).  The deck chairs are among the most comfortable found on any ship.  I noticed that my Bloody Mary was made using Mr and Mrs T mix, but the bar tender skillfully enhanced it with spices to meet my request for a "spicy Bloody Mary."

Lunch was at waves, and my Wagyu Burger (topped with lobster chunks) was excellent as were the thick cut French fries.  I love the Wave lunch menu and am happy that we will have more than a month to try everything!  There was a Filipino band (trio) with terrific singer that entertained us with a 45 min sail-away set.  That band is quite good, so we are batting 1000 with the entertainment (up to this point).  

So, my friends, where is the negative stuff?  When O decided to cancel our visit to Bermuda (due to a bad weather forecast) I could not understand why they did not extend the length of our visit to Great Stirrup Cay.  There were no other ships and a 2pm departure was a bit early.  We now have a week of sea days (DW and I love sea days) and the Vista will not need to break any speed records to get us Horta on time.  But that is being nitpicky since we cannot criticize a ship for sticking to their schedule.  

Hank

Great news Hank!! So glad you are enjoying O and Vista!! 

Thank you, Hank, for your latest comprehensive report.  I know from your previous posts that you are never afraid to express objective impressions (good, bad and ugly included), so your post fills us with excitement as we draw closer to joining you aboard on 11 April.  I also know that like us for most of our time aboard, we simply love our own company, although we also enjoy meeting and mixing.  If at any time you would like to meet for a Martini's martini, we will be in 11033.  We also love sea days, so we wish you calm waters and fair breezes until your next report, which we'll be delighted to read.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Good Afternoon Folks,

Hank

Wow great to hear yiu love it. Enjoy

• Like 1

Hank, thank you for your reports and glad that you are enjoying Vista.

I'm sure you will cover it, but 2 quick questions:

Does Vista feel more crowded than SB or EJ, and how does the food compare to those two lines, in MDR and specialty restaurants?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I can’t speak for Hank or anyone else. However, our last Oceania cruise was on the Riviera’s inaugural season, so it’s been awhile. However, since Covid we’ve had 3 cruises on SB & 3 on SS.  So far since we’ve boarded the Vista in Wednesday, the food on Oceania in the MDR is far better!  We’ve yet to eat in the specialty restaurants yet. The regular Veranda is smaller as we knew beforehand, but comfortable and functional. Haven’t had any noise issues yet either. All in all, it’s been a very nice cruise so far, with a pleasant and efficient crew. We’re very happy with our choice to sail Oceania again.  Also, the Vista is simply beautiful!  

• Like 12
  • Thanks 3

14 minutes ago, fdnycruiser said:

I can’t speak for Hank or anyone else. However, our last Oceania cruise was on the Riviera’s inaugural season, so it’s been awhile. However, since Covid we’ve had 3 cruises on SB & 3 on SS.  So far since we’ve boarded the Vista in Wednesday, the food on Oceania in the MDR is far better!  We’ve yet to eat in the specialty restaurants yet. The regular Veranda is smaller as we knew beforehand, but comfortable and functional. Haven’t had any noise issues yet either. All in all, it’s been a very nice cruise so far, with a pleasant and efficient crew. We’re very happy with our choice to sail Oceania again.  Also, the Vista is simply beautiful!  

Great info particularly in comparison to SS and SB thanks

I really appreciate this thread and the great insights into the Vista. We board when the ship gets to Valletta in April so this info is adding to our excitement about our upcoming cruise.

For those currently onboard, if anyone can post one of the daily programs we would appreciate it. We haven’t been on an O ship for years so getting a feel for the kinds things that are offered will be very interesting.

Also, please let us know if you see any ballroom style dancing. We don’t think of O as a line that offers much dance time so if there is any it will be special for us.

Many thanks for this terrific thread!

• Like 1

@Hlitner - Hank or anyone else who is sharing this cruise with him could one of you please do me a favour and take a stroll down deck 9 and loiter outside 9079 and 9085. I am contemplating moving from 9061 to one of these rooms but wanted to check if there is any vibration/noisy machinery or staff doors opposite in that central area. We had horrible vibration on Regent Explorer in that area and don't want to move from opposite the elevators if it's going to be more noisy.

thank you in advance

Patti

Took a look and 9079 might be the better choice.  9085 is across from a service door with machinery noise audible from the corridor.  Not sure if that would be an issue inside the cabin.

Hank

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Took a look and 9079 might be the better choice.  9085 is across from a service door with machinery noise audible from the corridor.  Not sure if that would be an issue inside the cabin.

Hank

Thank you Hank. We had noisy machines across from us on Explorer and there was significant vibration into the suite. Right I will ring the TA now - thanks again and enjoy the rest of your cruise

Patti

Hank,

Should you find yourself strolling towards Horizons, with a moment or two to spare, would you be so kind as to take a look into Lync, the computer space, and see if there are any computers available for casual walkup users during the time outside of any classes being conducted there?  Both the O and R class ships have dedicated spaces for such casual use (called Oceania at sea) and I'm concerned from some bits and pieces gleaned from some postings here on CC that there are no such provisions made on Vista (and, by projection, Allura when she arrives).

Thanks very much in advance, and thanks also for your detailed comments on the ship.  We have 5 Vista cruises booked in 2025.

May I also ask (while I have your attention) to describe the traffic flow for the crowd leaving the theater and wanting to get to higher decks after a show?  I ask because on the O ships, those who wanted to access cabins in the aft part of the ship on the higher decks, could walk back past Jacques to get to the aft elevators.  Looking at the Vista deck plans, I see that path is no longer available.  I am envisioning a mass of humanity milling around the forward elevators with everyone surging forward as each elevator arrives.  And, before anyone tells me to use the stairs, I have a knee and a hip that have made it abundantly clear to me that they refuse to go more than 4 steps in either the up or down direction on stairs.

Again, many thanks.

Golfguy

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, golfguyhhi said:

Hank,

Should you find yourself strolling towards Horizons, with a moment or two to spare, would you be so kind as to take a look into Lync, the computer space, and see if there are any computers available for casual walkup users during the time outside of any classes being conducted there?  Both the O and R class ships have dedicated spaces for such casual use (called Oceania at sea) and I'm concerned from some bits and pieces gleaned from some postings here on CC that there are no such provisions made on Vista (and, by projection, Allura when she arrives).

Thanks very much in advance, and thanks also for your detailed comments on the ship.  We have 5 Vista cruises booked in 2025.

May I also ask (while I have your attention) to describe the traffic flow for the crowd leaving the theater and wanting to get to higher decks after a show?  I ask because on the O ships, those who wanted to access cabins in the aft part of the ship on the higher decks, could walk back past Jacques to get to the aft elevators.  Looking at the Vista deck plans, I see that path is no longer available.  I am envisioning a mass of humanity milling around the forward elevators with everyone surging forward as each elevator arrives.  And, before anyone tells me to use the stairs, I have a knee and a hip that have made it abundantly clear to me that they refuse to go more than 4 steps in either the up or down direction on stairs.

Again, many thanks.

Golfguy

When I walked past Lynx, this morning, I did notice a few folks with laptops in that venue.  I do not see any fixed (walk-up) computers on the tables.  Next time we are in the area I will try and remember to stop-in and talk to the digital guru and find out if they do have any computers for walk ups.

Hank

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

When we were on Vista in November, there were no "public" computers available for use in Lync.  There were some Pads but they were only used to take some of their classes.  They had no WIFI access for personal use.

There are no "aft" elevators on the lounge entry/exit level so everyone uses the forward elevators.  We simply stayed in our seats in the lounge for 5-10 minutes or walked past the elevators to the lobby area and sat there for 5 -10 minutes.  The surge had dissipated and we walked right on to an elevator.  No need to rush out to be first on an elevator - your cabin will still be there, the bars will still be open and the music will still be playing when you arrive 15 - 20 minutes later.

Edited by basor
  • Like 6

Good afternoon from about 170 miles south of Bermuda.  We continue to be very impressed with both O and the Vista and it is fun to be able to think and write mostly positive comments :).

So far, this is not a smooth crossing.  Seas have been mostly in the 3-4 meter range (at times yesterday I think they were closer to 5 meters) and the Vista has been moving in ways that do not please folks prone to mal de mer.  Temperatures are in the upper 60s to low 70s, but the outside wind keeps most folks inside.

Food on this ship continues to be very good.  That being said, last evening we dined in Toscana, and I was disappointed in their lobster main, which came with a tomato-based sauce that has no business being put on lobster.  While this is subjective, that type of sauce simply overwhelms the delicate lobster flavor.  We talked to some shipmates who ate in the GDR (last evening) and they were also not impressed with the lobster tail offering in that venue.  Some have suggested that lobster is not one of O's strong suits, and so far, with this we agree.

DW and I decided to try our first lunch in the GDR (today) and were very impressed.  i counted 12 mains, about 10 starters/soups/salads, and the variety was excellent.  I decided to have a simple bib lettuce salad (with Roquefort) as a starter, and that simple salad was perfection in both presentation and taste.  Paying attention to the simple things is a hallmark of any good restaurant, so the GDR gets high marks.  I followed up the salad with Lasagna, and this was a very rich recipe (lots of bechamel) which was excellent.  DW had a salad Nicoise with salmon and her comment was "this salmon is really good."  I finished with a bowl of Humprey Slocomb breakfast ice cream (a combination of creamy vanilla, bourbon and corn flakes) which was a fun treat.  When comparing to Seabourn or Explora Journeys, O gets the gold star for main dining room lunch.  While most other lines seem to treat MDR lunches like they are doing a favor by just being open, that is not the case on this ship.  Kudos to the chefs and GDR wait staff for treating lunch like a very special meal.  

Speaking of the GDR, this room is simply gorgeous.  The designers used multi-levels and dividers to avoid the "one huge room" problem found on many ships.  Like much of the design of the Vista, this is easy on the eyes and delightful.  I should also mention that the staff on the Vista has been uniformly excellent, friendly, and hard working.

Last evening we finally went to the show, which was a West End entertainer named Nik Page.  His claim to fame was having played Jean Val Jean in the West End production of Les Mis.  He put on a terrific show, and we look forward to seeing him again (there will be a 2nd show).  He received a well-earned standing ovation.  There are good seats in the theater, but I do see the issue where some folks might have issues if they are behind a tall person.  

Having been told (pre cruise) that O quickly dies after the show (about 10:15) we had another surprise.  When the show was over, I gravitated up to Horizons for a nightcap and to listen to the Sync Session Band (the Filipino group I mentioned in my earlier post) do their 10:30 - 11:15 set.  There were over 100 passengers in the venue and the dance floor was busy until the end of the decent rock set.  

By the way, the Star Link Internet seems to be working quite well in this part of the Atlantic. 

Hank

• Like 18
  • Thanks 4

Thank you Hank. There really is nothing quite as valid as a ‘live’ review. With time, as our late Queen said “recollections may vary”!

Keep enjoying!

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

Good afternoon from about 170 miles south of Bermuda.  We continue to be very impressed with both O and the Vista and it is fun to be able to think and write mostly positive comments :).

So far, this is not a smooth crossing.  Seas have been mostly in the 3-4 meter range (at times yesterday I think they were closer to 5 meters) and the Vista has been moving in ways that do not please folks prone to mal de mer.  Temperatures are in the upper 60s to low 70s, but the outside wind keeps most folks inside.

Food on this ship continues to be very good.  That being said, last evening we dined in Toscana, and I was disappointed in their lobster main, which came with a tomato-based sauce that has no business being put on lobster.  While this is subjective, that type of sauce simply overwhelms the delicate lobster flavor.  We talked to some shipmates who ate in the GDR (last evening) and they were also not impressed with the lobster tail offering in that venue.  Some have suggested that lobster is not one of O's strong suits, and so far, with this we agree.

DW and I decided to try our first lunch in the GDR (today) and were very impressed.  i counted 12 mains, about 10 starters/soups/salads, and the variety was excellent.  I decided to have a simple bib lettuce salad (with Roquefort) as a starter, and that simple salad was perfection in both presentation and taste.  Paying attention to the simple things is a hallmark of any good restaurant, so the GDR gets high marks.  I followed up the salad with Lasagna, and this was a very rich recipe (lots of bechamel) which was excellent.  DW had a salad Nicoise with salmon and her comment was "this salmon is really good."  I finished with a bowl of Humprey Slocomb breakfast ice cream (a combination of creamy vanilla, bourbon and corn flakes) which was a fun treat.  When comparing to Seabourn or Explora Journeys, O gets the gold star for main dining room lunch.  While most other lines seem to treat MDR lunches like they are doing a favor by just being open, that is not the case on this ship.  Kudos to the chefs and GDR wait staff for treating lunch like a very special meal.  

Speaking of the GDR, this room is simply gorgeous.  The designers used multi-levels and dividers to avoid the "one huge room" problem found on many ships.  Like much of the design of the Vista, this is easy on the eyes and delightful.  I should also mention that the staff on the Vista has been uniformly excellent, friendly, and hard working.

Last evening we finally went to the show, which was a West End entertainer named Nik Page.  His claim to fame was having played Jean Val Jean in the West End production of Les Mis.  He put on a terrific show, and we look forward to seeing him again (there will be a 2nd show).  He received a well-earned standing ovation.  There are good seats in the theater, but I do see the issue where some folks might have issues if they are behind a tall person.  

Having been told (pre cruise) that O quickly dies after the show (about 10:15) we had another surprise.  When the show was over, I gravitated up to Horizons for a nightcap and to listen to the Sync Session Band (the Filipino group I mentioned in my earlier post) do their 10:30 - 11:15 set.  There were over 100 passengers in the venue and the dance floor was busy until the end of the decent rock set.  

By the way, the Star Link Internet seems to be working quite well in this part of the Atlantic. 

Hank

Absolutely great to hear

• Like 1

Sorry that you missed Bermuda. It is one of my favorite places.  Nothing can compare to the pink sand beaches.  Flying in to Bermuda is better than sailing in.  Hope that you don’t miss other ports. You have many sea days. Relax and enjoy.  After many cruises on Celebrity after our last X cruise, we said never again.  It was our first post pandemic cruise from NJ to Bermuda and Charleston. The crowding was absurd. There were no Covid safety practices as advertised.  My spouse got Covid. It was a miracle that I didn’t get it.  We have sailed on Oceania before and after pandemic.  We enjoy the comfortable atmosphere and lack of crowds.  We sailed on Vista in January.  Loved it.  We will be on Marina in May.  Marina is my favorite O ship. This will be my 6th cruise on Marina. 

• Thanks 1

Oh, I did forget something quite negative.  It is the tissues and toilet paper!  :).  Digging deep to go negative on such important items.  The tissues are made in China where they should stay!  As to the toilet paper, it is a bit thin and not like what most of us have at home.  The marine engineers would probably tell us that the toilet paper is selected because it easily breaks-down in the onboard sewer system.  But no such excuse to justify Chinese tissues.  

Another comment applies to nearly all the cruise lines.  They have discovered a cute scheduling trick of having a well-intended activity at noon!  Why?  It keeps a large group away from the lunch venues during the early/busy time.  On this ship it is BINGO.  On HAL it is team trivia.  

Since we have a week of sea days, activities do matter to many cruisers.  On Vista we have been getting at least 2 lectures a day (we have enjoyed a few).  There are also the usual Bridge games/lessons, and we also have an Artist in Residence who has 2 classes a day.  We do think that the Vista has a pretty normal array of activities that fits the passenger demographics on this cruise.  

Hank

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3