Cabin door and or wall decorations

5 hours ago, dmwnc1959 said:

Yes, it’s your vacation, but also the vacation of everyone in your passageway that has to look at that display on your cabin door. I know it may be ‘cute’ to you, but others also look at it as an unsightly blight, low-class, tacky, and an all-together visual irritant that needs to disappear. 

😁

That is really sad.   All we need is more self appointed hall monitors.  

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, dmwnc1959 said:

Like I said. Not pulling any punches. A small door magnet is not ‘all of that’, the description I offered was for covering cabin doors in steamers and assorted Etsy or dollar store decorations. You’re just renting the space for a week, not decorating a home. 

I'm beginning to wonder if you are one of the hall monitors?  😃

Edited by ldubs

3 minutes ago, ldubs said:

I'm beginning to wonder if you are one of the hall monitors?  

Hah! 🤣 Not possible. I’m usually booked in steerage where all of the serf live - we don’t have doors or hallways, just hundreds of army cots in a vast dungeon. 😉  Seriously though, I can’t recall on my cruises that door decorators existed, even going back a couple of decades, and would include Celebrity Cruises, Princess Cruises, Cunard, and Holland-America. Maybe it’s just the cruise line or time of year. This phenomenon of door decorators and duck hiders seems the be a more recent fad. And I don’t do fads. 😎

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, ldubs said:

I'm beginning to wonder if you are one of the hall monitors?  😃

When it comes to finding a scooter parked in a hall, yes.

However to get back on topic, door decorations seem to be more prevalent on some lines rather than others.  I've never liked the practice.  At best it's folk art. At worst it's about as appealing is spray paint graffiti.

You may not like my door decorations, my swim suit, or the shoes I wear to dinner.  Still doesn't make them your business.  Still doesn't mean I shouldn't bring them.  

Yes, it's sad that some people will steal anything not tied down; however, door decorations tend to cost less than a single drink.  If anyone stole mine, I'd be irked ... not I wouldn't be upset about the financial loss.  

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Seems rather sad that people cant just let others enjoy their fun - without stealing and without derogatory comments.

If  I wasnt into doing it, I wouldnt - but I cant imagine being so bothered or 'visually irritated' by others doing so.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, dmwnc1959 said:

Hah! 🤣 Not possible. I’m usually booked in steerage where all of the serf live - we don’t have doors or hallways, just hundreds of army cots in a vast dungeon. 😉  Seriously though, I can’t recall on my cruises that door decorators existed, even going back a couple of decades, and would include Celebrity Cruises, Princess Cruises, Cunard, and Holland-America. Maybe it’s just the cruise line or time of year. This phenomenon of door decorators and duck hiders seems the be a more recent fad. And I don’t do fads. 😎

I've seen the door decorations for a long time (years maybe?).  I think the rubber ducks are more recent.  I've yet to personally run across a rubber duck.   

Fad or not, door decorations are not something that should cause anyone else any grief.  But it sure seems to do just that.   

• Like 3

6 hours ago, BlueRiband said:

However to get back on topic, door decorations seem to be more prevalent on some lines rather than others.  I've never liked the practice.  At best it's folk art. At worst it's about as appealing is spray paint graffiti.

I could see how they might be an issue for others in a scooter, wheelchair, etc. What do you do, move them?  Call security?  

As for door decorations, just walk by looking straight ahead and try hard not to let them ruin your day.  🙂 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, ldubs said:

Fad or not, door decorations are not something that should cause anyone else any grief.  But it sure seems to do just that.   

Most definitely not the right word. However, some will say that there’s something just so tacky, classless, and trashy about it. Others will say it’s like someone’s yard sale plastered all over their door. It’s the same sentiment some have when they walk done the corridor and see half-used food trays sitting on the floor. Grief? Not so much. Ruin someone’s day? Nah. Snickering sarcastic amusement. Probably.

On 3/24/2024 at 6:04 AM, dmwnc1959 said:

You can never tell, but depending on the cruise line and time of year there have been very recent reported incidences that could involve just about anyone: a passerby may like your magnets or fancy your dry erase board, they may want to the take your things just for spite,  or as a ‘joke’ destroy it all. It does happen, and recent threads of cruise lines banning door decorations and people stealing your things have surfaced.

Yes, it’s your vacation, but also the vacation of everyone in your passageway that has to look at that display on your cabin door. I know it may be ‘cute’ to you, but others also look at it as an unsightly blight, low-class, tacky, and an all-together visual irritant that needs to disappear. 

😁

If I take the time and money to put up some small decorations for each of the cabin doors for my party, and I catch someone stealing or messing with them, there might be some hands getting thrown lol. Maybe I can decorate a door in the brig with them? Kidding, of course.

It's pretty low-class to steal anything, but to steal, break or ruin someone else's stuff because you might not like it? That's below deck stuff (to use a cruising term). Hopefully that doesn't happen, but I'll be sure to post a story here if it does.

24 minutes ago, Noledad77 said:

It's pretty low-class to steal anything, but to steal, break or ruin someone else's stuff because you might not like it? That's below deck stuff (to use a cruising term). Hopefully that doesn't happen, but I'll be sure to post a story here if it does.

And I totally agree. It’s always best to be mentally prepared for any outcome other than all ‘rainbows and roses’. It is a thing with people playing pranks and stealing stuff, and I imagine cruises with lots of kids and/or adults with nothing better to do than to wreck someone’s fun would be prime-time for those type of unsavory activities. 

19 hours ago, BlueRiband said:

I just had a thought. I don't think I've seen this on smaller ships. Do people who have already done some cruising prefer that and perhaps have gotten over the decorating. And I don't get lost in them 🙂

6 hours ago, dmwnc1959 said:

Most definitely not the right word. However, some will say that there’s something just so tacky, classless, and trashy about it. Others will say it’s like someone’s yard sale plastered all over their door. It’s the same sentiment some have when they walk done the corridor and see half-used food trays sitting on the floor. Grief? Not so much. Ruin someone’s day? Nah. Snickering sarcastic amusement. Probably.

Oh, I think grief, as in annoyance, is exactly the right word.  

Snickering &  sarcasm noted.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, ldubs said:

I could see how they might be an issue for others in a scooter, wheelchair, etc. What do you do, move them?  Call security?  

- I give the Purser's desk a call and let them handle it.  Within an hour it's gone. 

As for door decorations, just walk by looking straight ahead and try hard not to let them ruin your day.  🙂 

- Ruin my day?  No.  But if it proliferated on the ship that I sail I wouldn't be sailing that ship much longer. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, BlueRiband said:

So it bothers you enough to stop cruising on that line!  Sure sounds like they ruin your day.  

I've never done a door decoration and don't expect I ever will.  I see some that make me smile and some that don't.  I've never seen one that had a negative impact on my enjoyment in even the slightest of ways.  

Edited by ldubs
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Noledad77 said:

If I take the time and money to put up some small decorations for each of the cabin doors for my party, and I catch someone stealing or messing with them, there might be some hands getting thrown lol.

Here's some food for thought. 

What makes you think that the outer surface of your cabin door is "yours"?  

I would consider it as part of a common area, just like the doors and hallways in condominiums. In my condo, we are not free to "decorate" the outer surface of our doors or leave any kind of mat outside or anything else that would distinguish one unit from another (other than the standard door number). 

Would you leave something that belongs to you in a common area and expect that it's going to be there when you get back? 

If you feel the need to decorate, perhaps better to do it inside your cabin where YOU can appreciate it, and no one will take it.

If the goal is only to make your cabin distinguishable from others, I've never understood why a huge display is needed.

Also: people are waaaay too quick to resort to fisticuffs. If you're going to get that passionate about it, leave it at home.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

I thought of that very thing but you, as usual, 'talked' about it better than I could have. I have a friend who lives in a house in a neighborhood that has an HOA. They have to have a lawn and it has to be one of two grasses !

Good point- likening door decorations to graffiti. The hall is a common area- and, while I don’t get upset about what others want to do to their doors while on a cruise, I am happy that my HOA has a few rules about plantings, getting approval for house colors, not parking boats in driveways, leaving abandoned sofas and plumbing appliances in front yards, etc.  Community living, even for just a week on a cruise ship, does need some respect for others.

• Like 1

unless your decoration is offensive or rude in some way - then it is not disrespecting others at all.

what I think is disrespectful and tacky is snickering or sarcasm or disdainful attitudes to things which are not bothering you in any way

and clearly if the ships allow door decorations then clearly people are free to decorate the outside - and yes  I would expect something not belonging to others that is left in a common area like that t o be left there - just like anything else not mine anywhere  isnt ok for me to take

• Like 4

5 hours ago, clo said:

I just had a thought. I don't think I've seen this on smaller ships. Do people who have already done some cruising prefer that and perhaps have gotten over the decorating. And I don't get lost in them 🙂

Maybe people are less likely to have difficulty finding their cabin on smaller ships, maybe the attract more of an older demographic less into this stuff, maybe decorating is more of a fun thing on family orientated cruises?

I didnt see them on river cruise ship either - likely for reasons above

but if the doors are metal I wouldnt mind doing one myself - not full streamers or such but one A4 page magnetic picture.

Because  I do have difficulty remembering numbers and might help me identify it.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Kristelle said:

unless your decoration is offensive or rude in some way - then it is not disrespecting others at all.

what I think is disrespectful and tacky is snickering or sarcasm or disdainful attitudes to things which are not bothering you in any way

and clearly if the ships allow door decorations then clearly people are free to decorate the outside - and yes  I would expect something not belonging to others that is left in a common area like that t o be left there - just like anything else not mine anywhere  isnt ok for me to take

Well said.  I hope I never get to the point where someone's innocent fun negatively affects my mood. 

• Like 4

23 hours ago, 1bighund said:

On our last cruise - NCL Prima Dec. 2023 - there was one cabin with a door decoration  and people kept moving it to different doors !

I’ve been known to stumble back to my cabin after a tasty beverage or two, and door decorations are helpful. I know my cabin is two doors down from where Timmy and Tommy are celebrating the Best Cruise Ever. If people start messing with me by moving their sign, I’m in real trouble 🙂

• Like 3

16 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Here's some food for thought. 

I would consider it as part of a common area, just like the doors and hallways in condominiums. In my condo, we are not free to "decorate" the outer surface of our doors or leave any kind of mat outside or anything else that would distinguish one unit from another (other than the standard door number). 

Would you leave something that belongs to you in a common area and expect that it's going to be there when you get back? 

If you feel the need to decorate, perhaps better to do it inside your cabin where YOU can appreciate it, and no one will take it.

If the goal is only to make your cabin distinguishable from others, I've never understood why a huge display is needed.

Also: people are waaaay too quick to resort to fisticuffs. If you're going to get that passionate about it, leave it at home.

Never said the door was mine.

Never said I was putting up a huge display.

I was clearly joking (even said so) about the fighting. Chances are, I won't be in the cabin all that much, so it would likely be impossible to determine who would have committed such an act. It wouldn't ruin my vacation, but I'd certainly seek out a few answers, and then move on. 

Hopefully nothing ever happens and it becomes a moot point.

• Like 2