Boston Hotels

Turk1

Will be ending our cruise at Boston and plan to stay several days to see the sites. Interested in Hotels that will allow us to walk to historical areas that would not require taking out a 2nd mortgage but still be quality hotels. Ideas or recommendations? Would even entertain hotel that we could Uber from if that helps.

35 minutes ago, Turk1 said:

Interested in Hotels that will allow us to walk to historical areas that would not require taking out a 2nd mortgage but still be quality hotels.

Boston overall is very expensive when it comes to hotels, especially the 4-5 star ones of higher quality. If you have Marriott/Hilton/Hyatt points it can be a good value to consider using them during peak times. 

Fairmont Copley Plaza is one of my favorites for walkability and the hotel itself is a local landmark. The Newbury is also a favorite and right on Boston Public Garden. Both of these can be expensive though (but you can find deals occasionally). 

The Westin in Copley Place you can sometimes find a deal at and the Boston Park Plaza Hotel (I think now run by Hilton) was always a well located option where you can find a deal. 

41 minutes ago, Turk1 said:

Would even entertain hotel that we could Uber from if that helps.

You can find options outside of the city that can be a lot cheaper. Some of the airport hotels would fit into this. There is a Marriott in Quincy that is essentially in an office park but it is a full service hotel for usually around $100-150 a night thats only a 15-20 minute Uber ride into downtown. 

• 3 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Can anyone recommend something relatively cheap for the night before a cruise leaving from Boston, staying October 3, 2024 for a cruise leaving on the 4th?

The cost for the hotel rooms I can find are 5% of the cost of our cruise, and that's staying in the Haven on Norwegian. 

Edited by beastlet

12 hours ago, beastlet said:

Can anyone recommend something relatively cheap for the night before a cruise leaving from Boston, staying October 3, 2024 for a cruise leaving on the 4th?

The cost for the hotel rooms I can find are 5% of the cost of our cruise, and that's staying in the Haven on Norwegian. 

How are you arriving into Boston do you have the flexibility of being able to stay farther out and driving in? We are sailing in mid-July a VERY expensive time of year, and I was amazed at how expensive Boston is. As we are driving in from the north, we elected to stay far outside of downtown, in Burlington, and drive the 30 minutes to the port on cruise morning. That specific area was still far cheaper than pretty much any other area I could find. As in hundreds of dollars cheaper. 

i can highly recommend using a site like Tripadvisor to scout hotels. Enter your desired date(s) and use the map view to have it show you hotel pricing by location. You will quickly get a good idea of the relatively expensive, and cheaper areas.

8 hours ago, lx200gps said:

How are you arriving into Boston do you have the flexibility of being able to stay farther out and driving in? We are sailing in mid-July a VERY expensive time of year, and I was amazed at how expensive Boston is. As we are driving in from the north, we elected to stay far outside of downtown, in Burlington, and drive the 30 minutes to the port on cruise morning. That specific area was still far cheaper than pretty much any other area I could find. As in hundreds of dollars cheaper. 

i can highly recommend using a site like Tripadvisor to scout hotels. Enter your desired date(s) and use the map view to have it show you hotel pricing by location. You will quickly get a good idea of the relatively expensive, and cheaper areas.

We are flying in. I am willing to stay further out and uber in to the port assuming the Uber doesn't add $200.

I did find a hotel for $330 total, which is painful to say that is a "good" price, but I did book it. It's just annoying to pay that much essentially for a bed for the night. A Hampton Inn, our usual go-to for cheap hotel stays was almost $600.

Update: I got a room at the airport Hampton Inn for $312 total, and that includes a breakfast in case we want something to munch on in the morning. It also includes a free shuttle from the airport, so we'll only have to pay for one Uber ride to the cruise terminal.

Despite being a long time HHonors member, the best rate I found was booking through Southwest Airlines website. The best deal I could get through the Hilton website was $352.

The airport Hampton Inn is actually down the road in Revere. There really aren't any easily accessible restaurant options over there.

$200-$300 a night is normal for Boston. Unfortunately, October is high season due to colleges, leaf peeping, and all that other stuff. Later in October is Head of the Charles, in which case you can just forget it.

44 minutes ago, 1025cruise said:

The airport Hampton Inn is actually down the road in Revere. There really aren't any easily accessible restaurant options over there.

$200-$300 a night is normal for Boston. Unfortunately, October is high season due to colleges, leaf peeping, and all that other stuff. Later in October is Head of the Charles, in which case you can just forget it.

It's one night, we'll Uber Eats something if we need to. Not like we'll be short of food on a cruise. 🤣

I was sort of okay in a resigned way with the $300, but most of the hotels I was finding were $500+. Some over $1k. That's more than we're paying per night for the cruise, and that includes a lot of stuff beyond a bed. 

I bit the bullet for the Hampton Inn across from the cruise terminal for next month,

$350.  Convenient but still 😞.   We have not spent any time seeing the sights in 

Boston so we are landing early and sightseeing the day before the cruise.  Cross 

Boston off our list.  

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, trickylibrarian said:

I bit the bullet for the Hampton Inn across from the cruise terminal for next month,

$350.  Convenient but still 😞.   We have not spent any time seeing the sights in 

Boston so we are landing early and sightseeing the day before the cruise.  Cross 

Boston off our list.  

For $350 I would have done it. When we're going it's almost $600! For a Hampton Inn.

I've already been to Boston, so am not interested in sight-seeing. When we went, many many years ago, it was much cheaper!

Edited by beastlet

We initially booked Embassy Suites Logan Airport, but cancelled to save @$95 by switching to Hampton Inn Boston Logan Chelsea. Free Shuttle from airport to hotel. It's close to the Silver Line. Hilton Honors flex rate is $243.47 including $25.50 tax.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/15/2024 at 5:16 PM, 1025cruise said:

I wouldn't consider the Hampton Inn Chelsea an airport hotel. But if they have a shuttle....

Drove by there this past weekend, as we journeyed from a Deer Island walk to the Market Basket Mothership.  The Mrs. was surprised to see all the hotels there, more surprised when I told her it's where folks visiting Boston on a budget stay.  "But it's so far away and not pretty and hard to get to town from here" she said.  I nodded in agreement.

October is expensive due to Leaf peeping and college Homecomings and conventions.

6 minutes ago, princeton123211 said:

And Head of the Charles Regatta which drives hotel prices into the stratosphere and availability is very low. This year Oct 18-20. 

yes, but the OP here isn't coming that weekend.

We actually arrived in the Boston suburbs (Metrowest) on Marathon Monday (bad planning on our part) and our hotel was very fairly priced.  Truly expected it to be worse and full of runners. 

While I haven't been to Chelsea since before 2020, I have a customer that is in that area. You couldn't pay me to stay there.

I stay home on Marathon Monday. I live close to the start line so I can be impacted by bus traffic.

I hadn't heard of Head of the Charles until I was getting married and someone pointed out that it was that weekend. For a wedding being held in Newton, the closest place I could get a block was in Burlington. My Save the Dates included the phrasing of "book now" if not staying in the block.