What if a drink's cost exceeds what's included in a package?

IUSteve

I'm sorry for what I assume is a very basic question, but I appreciate how helpful everyone always is.  I have Princess Plus, and for some stupid reason, because that was included as part of a promotion, they won't let me upgrade to Premier.  My question is, if I order a drink or glass of wine that exceeds the $15/drink price limit in the package, can I assume I'll merely get charged for the difference?  E.g., if I order a $20 glass of wine, I'll just get charged $5?  Thanks!

Steve  

Posted (edited)

You just pay the difference over the $15.  This works out great for us as most of the wines we drink are over the $15 threshold and we only buy the Plus Package.  🍷🍷🍷

Edited by LACruiser88
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, IUSteve said:

I have Princess Plus, and for some stupid reason, because that was included as part of a promotion, they won't let me upgrade to Premier. 

If you really want Premier, I would try to upgrade once onboard.

• Like 3

Guest Snaxmuppet

I have always had Premier in the past but there are so few drinks that are over the $15 that I am considering getting the Plus in future. I'll know after my next cruise which is in April. I have Premier on that one but I am going to keep a eye out for how many times I get a drink over the $15.

8 hours ago, Snaxmuppet said:

I have always had Premier in the past but there are so few drinks that are over the $15 that I am considering getting the Plus in future. I'll know after my next cruise which is in April. I have Premier on that one but I am going to keep an eye out for how many times I get a drink over the $15.

And how many specialty and casual restaurants you use. Maybe you will lucky and win a price as well.

• Thanks 1

Guest Snaxmuppet
1 hour ago, jagoffee said:

And how many specialty and casual restaurants you use. Maybe you will lucky and win a price as well.

Yes... having had Premier on all my last 5 Princess cruises I am well aware of all the included benefits!

1 minute ago, 2806 said:

What kind of drinks cost over the $15?  

When I have Premier, I often drink a brandy, a single-malt Scotch, or a glass of wine that is over $15. However, they have other alternatives that are under $15 if you have Plus and don't want to pay extra.

2 hours ago, 2806 said:

What kind of drinks cost over the $15?  

Mostly wines, but there are some cocktails that are in the $15 to $20 range as well as a few that are over $20, maybe $22 or so. I am just off the Ruby. Probably 80% of the cocktails and straight whiskeys are under $15. Then there are the special spirits and such where a 1 oz straight drink will be high.

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, partybarbie said:

I’m just off the Royal Princess. When the ships sail “down under”, using Australian currency, there’s no added gratuity. You will just pay the price difference. 

Since the 18% has been baked into the menu price.  Soooo, Princess should be figuring the difference between the AUD value of max drink price in the AUD Plus plan.

Edited by Steelers36

Really this is a question on top of a question. Our friend asked about drinks above the $15 price and charges involved. We have the same package as we aren't heavy drinkers and if we desire to go to a Speciality restaurant I'll gladly pay the $14.99 or whatever. My question is " If I wanted a double scotch is there any reason I can't order two drinks at the same time and just pour one into the other and my wife orders her drink on her medallion ? I ask this a you are not breaching the $15 per drink and 15 per day ?

6 minutes ago, Cruisemeister2002 said:

Really this is a question on top of a question. Our friend asked about drinks above the $15 price and charges involved. We have the same package as we aren't heavy drinkers and if we desire to go to a Specialty restaurant I'll gladly pay the $14.99 or whatever. My question is " If I wanted a double scotch is there any reason I can't order two drinks at the same time and just pour one into the other and my wife orders her drink on her medallion ? I ask this a you are not breaching the $15 per drink and 15 per day ?

Many people have reported being able to order two drinks at once.  You would want to order two shots and not a double (if that is even a menu item).  BTW, Specialty ( no second "i") cover charges are significantly more than $15/pp.  Perhaps you are thinking of Casual Dining?

1 minute ago, Steelers36 said:

Many people have reported being able to order two drinks at once.  You would want to order two shots and not a double (if that is even a menu item).  BTW, Specialty ( no second "i") cover charges are significantly more than $15/pp.  Perhaps you are thinking of Casual Dining?

Yes probably. I know we get two casuals with our package. Do you know what the extra is for the Speciality type dining ? Not that we are thinking of doing that every night but maybe two or three times on the cruise along with maybe a couple more on top of the two casuals we get. 

1 hour ago, Steelers36 said:

Since the 18% has been baked into the menu price.  Soooo, Princess should be figuring the difference between the AUD value of max drink price in the AUD Plus plan.

The Plus plan drinks go up to $22 AUD. I was ordering espresso martinis for $22.50, and just paying 50 cents extra. No problem getting double pours in Vines either. The bartender, Michelle, remembered us from the Ruby last year. We even got to take the fancy glasses to dinner with us, as long as we brought them back, lol.

• Like 1