Live From: Bliss 5 Day Coastal Mar 31-Apr 5 with Hollywood Pre Cruise

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"And another from ceilidh1! Thank you for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic! See your post featured on our: Click: Cruise Reports page. When you return, please consider submitting it to the site for publication as well: Click: Write a Review"

ceilidh1 was awarded the badge '"Live from...."' and 5 points.

Here we go again...back on my "tradition: repositioning cruise for Bliss. I have done this sailing, both North and South, every time it has been offered (I'm noticing it is not scheduled to do end of season South this year and no sign of either for next year - don't let me down NCL, I need this tradition in my life)

Background: I booked this as soon as it opened up for bookings and the original plan was that myself, DD (17) and DS (12) would have this sailing as a means to get home from LA to Vancouver after a 2 week sailing we had booked on Princess right before. The timing was perfect as it coincided with both Canadian spring break and Easter, so we could get in 3 weeks of cruising and the kids would only miss 3 days of school. Well, things changed along the way and DD decided she would rather spend spring break with friends in Europe than with her family (she is currently sailing on the new Sun Princess) and DS desperately wanted to do the new Nintendo World at Universal, so I cancelled the Hawaii cruise and DS and I are doing a mom/son tourist trip to Hollywood and cruising home on Bliss! Last year, the sailing at this exact time of year was jam packed with families and kids and there were lines for everything. I suspect this sailing will be the same and we have already had the warning letter about probably not being able to get into the kid program. Not a biggie for us but some families last year were hugely disappointed - it baffles me why you would make a family focused ship but not have enough capacity for all the kids....but I guess that's why I don't run a cruise line. 

Pre-Cruise: We fly to LA tomorrow (Tuesday) on a one way Air Canada flight that was a killer price when I booked. Flights from Vancouver are insanely expensive, so as soon as I saw this deal, I snapped it up. A week later, the one way was double the price! Bonus is that it's not leaving at 8am so we won't need to wake up at stupid o'clock. We are fortunate to live a few blocks from the Canada Line, which is the train that goes to YVR airport, so that it what we will be doing tomorrow morning. Before that, though, I need to clean my house as I have friends staying while we are out of town. My kids swear that the only time I ever really clean is when we are going on vacation...they're not wrong! Something exciting (to me) is that I was gifted Priority Passes for the airport lounge, so I am going to make full use of that tomorrow. Keep everything crossed that I'm able to get in as I can't pre-book.

We will be staying in Hollywood (more on the hotel, etc later) until Saturday. We have the VIP tour booked for Universal Studios (more on the reasoning behind that later) and I purchased Go City passes for both of us as I find them to be both a good deal and a motivator to actually do stuff. Already booked with the passes is the Warner Brothers Studio tour and the a walking tour of the Hollywood sign. We plan on doing the hop on hop off bus, La Brea tar pits, Madame Toussauds, and the Chinese Theatre. We will definitely get our moneys worth. We do not need to use the pass for Universal as we have the tour, but that woule have been covered had we wanted to.

After we get our fill in Hollywood, we will do another pre-cruise tradition and stay one night at the Crowne Plaza in San Pedro. This hotel is ideal for one night as it's walking distance to the port and next to one of my fave LA breweries - the San Pedro Brewing Company. We will have dinner there on Saturday night.

NCL Stuff: Since there are only the two of us, we booked an inside room this time and will spend the money we saved on the room on other things. I have sailed in every category (except solo/studio) on Bliss and find them all great. Haven, obviously, would be my preference but the pricing right now is just obscene. No thanks. I did put in a couple of upgrade bids at the lowest amount, so don't expect anything to come of that. As we booked so early, the price was very good and it has only gone up so no price drops for us! We had free at sea and I ended up upgrading for both of us (I'm sure that wasn't the economical thing to do given that DS doesn't get anything for the drink package, but I just didn't want to do the math). The FAS plus works well when traveling with DD as she loves the extra dining and HAS to have unlimited wifi - DS couldn't care less about either so I theoretically could have saved money by just upgrading my wifi and drink package...but, girl math....

We have booked Tepanyaki and will try Los Lobos for the first time. We love Food Republic so will likely use the other credit on that. We have Jersey Boys booked but having seen it many times, may give it a miss this time round. I am so, so sad that Six is no longer on Bliss. Hands down my favourite show ever. I'm so excited that it is coming to Vancouver next May and plan on buying tickets for every performance. I hear that Siglo are onboard - another huge fave of ours. DS requested the arcade pass, which he gets each time and really gets his money's worth from. It has gone up in price quite a bit since the first time we purchased but if the kid program is full, he often meets friends at the arcade so I'm more than willing to do it!

Well, that's all the background stuff out of the way. Feel free to ask questions and I will do my best to get answers!

• Like 17
  • Thanks 3

Following along, although I’ll be on the ship with you lol.

The Universal VIP is so worth it. You’ll have a great time. 

I’m just coming in the day before so no exploring for me. But I’ll be at the Crowne Plaza also. If you see a lady with purple and blue hair, say hi! 

• Like 1

Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy! Or I suppose it should be, oh girl!! I'm so here, looking forward to another Vancouver based live as the first is wrapping up!! 

Also, what a lucky girl you have to be on Sun Princess! That ship looks and sounds fantastic. I'm actually sort of kind of (but not really - dress code issues) considering Sun Princess. I hope she has a great time exploring the old world! 

• Like 3

Looking forward to following along on another one of your live reports!

My husband and I finally tried Los Lobos for the first-time last month on the Encore.  Not only did we go back the next night too, but we also both decided it is now our favorite specialty restaurant.    We will be on the Joy in June and wish there was a Los Lobos onboard.   

Enjoy the special memories you will be creating alone with your son.   

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy! Or I suppose it should be, oh girl!! I'm so here, looking forward to another Vancouver based live as the first is wrapping up!! 

Also, what a lucky girl you have to be on Sun Princess! That ship looks and sounds fantastic. I'm actually sort of kind of (but not really - dress code issues) considering Sun Princess. I hope she has a great time exploring the old world! 

She is living her best life - and sending me updates as 3am each morning (I'm guessing she hasn't grasped the concept of time zones)

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

image.png.1df91e77338a726d70f7d8247d0ebb54.png

This is where my transportation home will be taking me. I have zero plans on getting off in San Francisco or Victoria - done both more times than I care to remember. I was quite amused to find a (very overpriced) shore excursion for Victoria that appeared to have a visit to Tim Hortons as the star attraction. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 9

I keep reading the comments (arguments) about the Free at Sea Plus and what it does or doesn't include. I very much enjoyed the Veuve in the past and the ability to get wine by the bottle at dinner (not because I necessarily need a bottle, but because it always feels like I only ever get asked one time for a drink order at dinner) but what I'm seeing is that both these aspects are hit or miss now. So, what should I be getting with my upgraded drink package - hit me with your best ideas!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ceilidh1 said:

I keep reading the comments (arguments) about the Free at Sea Plus and what it does or doesn't include. I very much enjoyed the Veuve in the past and the ability to get wine by the bottle at dinner (not because I necessarily need a bottle, but because it always feels like I only ever get asked one time for a drink order at dinner) but what I'm seeing is that both these aspects are hit or miss now. So, what should I be getting with my upgraded drink package - hit me with your best ideas!

Grey Goose!!

Lots and lots of Starbucks!!

Espresso Martinis!! 

• Like 2

Hotel: This was stressful as I didn't know the Hollywood area at all. Of all the times we have been to LA (and there have been many) we have always stayed at one of the beaches...last time we went to Universal we stayed at the Hilton right at the park, but with the holiday and spring break the nightly rate for that one was well over $400 a night. No thanks! I searched and searched and found a great price on a place that seemed like a whole ton of fun and it also offered nightly open bar, dinner, and parties. I came so close to booking it - Mama Hostel for anyone interested - until my mom brain kicked in and reminded me that not only am I no longer an 18 year old backpacker, but I am also travelling with an impressionable 12 year old boy. Sigh. Back to the drawing board.

I finally settled on a non-chain hotel that had wonderful reviews on every site I checked. It's a 5 minute walk to Sunset and the tourist spots, offers free breakfast, and the room has a kitchen (my mom brain tells me I will buy food and cook but let's face it, that kitchen is really only necessary to keep my wine cold). The price was just over $220 a night and it seemed like the best I was going to get. I booked with free cancellation and checked other options regularly, but nothing else popped out that seemed as good a deal so I guess that's where we will stay for 4 nights. It's called the Hollywood Celebrity Hotel and I would be happy to hear wonderful stories about it if anyone has ever stayed there. If you got murdered in your sleep then keep it to yourself!

cd193465-47b8-4525-a4b5-bf7ff72a6816.jpg?auto=format,compress&fit=crop&crop=entropy&w=750&h=600

fdd5d344-4271-4d4a-849f-4a064c286ecb.jpg?auto=format,compress&fit=crop&crop=entropy&w=750&h=600

b58d5856-50bc-4609-aa7b-45006915642e.jpg?auto=format,compress&fit=crop&crop=entropy

• Like 7
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, ceilidh1 said:

One of my favorites from my trip on the Bliss last year: Get a fresh pineapple juice from the bar at the back of the buffet, then go upstairs to the Observation Lounge bar. Order a double Ron Zacapa 23 rum. Mix and enjoy.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, CurtandLeslie said:

One of my favorites from my trip on the Bliss last year: Get a fresh pineapple juice from the bar at the back of the buffet, then go upstairs to the Observation Lounge bar. Order a double Ron Zacapa 23 rum. Mix and enjoy.

That sounds good!

18 minutes ago, kpark895 said:

Yeah!  Finally made it to the first page of one of my favorite cruisers' reviews.  I'm usually so far behind.

Welcome, my dear! I really do need to get back over to The Tribe....

• Like 4

My checklist is almost completely checked. I had a snafu in my plans today when I suddenly had to work. Luckily I’m able to work from home so I’m between actual work I packed, cleaned, did laundry, and made my checklist! Does anyone else add things to the checklist that are already done just so you can check them off? Does anyone else prepare for a zombie apocalypse each time you go on vacation by not only cleaning the entire house but also eating everything in the place and refusing to buy groceries? We have had some questionable meals this week, but tonight’s dinner was the best - last hamburger bun with cheese slice and ham and a bowl of ramen. Mom of the year award goes to me!

We are all checked in for our flight and will hopefully save some time at security with YVR express. For anyone who doesn’t know about this free program, you can book an arrival time beginning 72 hours before your flight. You go to the front of the security line and scan the barcode you received when you booked. I’ve also pre filled the US pre clearance using mobile passport control. Once at the airport, you just open the app and get fast tracked through the CBP line up. Can you tell I’m eager to get to the premium lounge? I hope they serve alcohol that early in the morning…

Also checked off the list is calling DS out of school for the 3 days he will miss after Easter. I don’t feel at all guilty as he is not having a great year in grade 7 (he has loved school since kindergarten but this year is a struggle) but just received word that he was accepted into his first choice for high school. His teacher this year is just the worst - I wish @YVRteacher was his teacher!

While I was working today, DS researched where we would eat on our trip. His search words were “happy hour” “bar” and “brewery”. I’ve taught him well. Any locals have some recommendations for good eats in the Hollywood area?

• Like 8

Thanks for doing another live review! I loved your last one on Virgin! 

Our P+ favorites:

San Pelegríno at lunch, dinner and in the evening.  
Flow water for the room and especially when we do shore excursions. 
Starbucks teas for me and the drinks loaded with whipped cream for DH. 

NCL Gin ‘66 with club soda and lime. Can’t be too much club soda. 

Decoy Cabernet Sauvignon

Santa Margherita Pinot Grigio

Veuve at Le Bistro - some say it’s available now at Cagney’s but we didn’t try asking 

Whiskey or tequila taste testing for DH. 

If I’m at the pool or a bar that doesn’t have my favorite P+ wine, my go to is the German Shades of Blue Riesling and I think it’s better than the P+ Riesling. If you like Riesling, you’ll have to try both. 

Since you like Veuve, I recommend the NCL ‘66 Prosecco or the Pommery Brut Rose Champagne. 

I want to try Ice wine on the next cruise. Looking forward to hear about your favorite P+ drinks.  Enjoy your vacation in LA and have a wonderful cruise! 😎

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Seas2mountains said:

Thanks for doing another live review! I loved your last one on Virgin! 

Our P+ favorites:

San Pelegríno at lunch, dinner and in the evening.  
Flow water for the room and especially when we do shore excursions. 
Starbucks teas for me and the drinks loaded with whipped cream for DH. 

NCL Gin ‘66 with club soda and lime. Can’t be too much club soda. 

Decoy Cabernet Sauvignon

Santa Margherita Pinot Grigio

Veuve at Le Bistro - some say it’s available now at Cagney’s but we didn’t try asking 

Whiskey or tequila taste testing for DH. 

If I’m at the pool or a bar that doesn’t have my favorite P+ wine, my go to is the German Shades of Blue Riesling and I think it’s better than the P+ Riesling. If you like Riesling, you’ll have to try both. 

Since you like Veuve, I recommend the NCL ‘66 Prosecco or the Pommery Brut Rose Champagne. 

I want to try Ice wine on the next cruise. Looking forward to hear about your favorite P+ drinks.  Enjoy your vacation in LA and have a wonderful cruise! 😎

I’m not a san pelegrino fan. In fact I’m not a water drinker at all. BUT the very first time I upgraded to plus I got a bottle of aqua pana. OMG. I would never willingly pay for water but that stuff was the bomb! I’m definitely going to do that with every meal!

I love Zacapa so plan on having that in all my dark n stormy drinks. I love margaritas but can’t remember the “good” tequila to request. I WILL be having Baileys (why does NCL charge so much for it?). 

Starbucks chai latte is my morning go to. I can’t remember if DS also gets Starbucks- I upgraded both packages but he is a minor so not sure if he gets it..,

I want Veuve but not planning on Le Bistro. 😭😭😭😭 

I don’t think this live will be anywhere as fun as the Virgin one. That was hands down the best (and wildest) cruise I’ve ever taken!!!! Counting the days for the next one. 

• Like 5

Welcome back! I'm excited to follow along on another one of your adventures. I also refuse to buy groceries for about a week before vacation.  By the night before we're running around trying to tackle that to do list and usually grab pizza when we run out for last minute essentials. By that point we're sick of eating weird food. I love that your son looks for hpy hour specials for you. You will definitely be making some lovely memories together this week! Safe travels ❤️

• Like 1

Hollywood itself was very disappointing to me, so you may want to head farther afield. We saw everything that needed to be seen there (wax museums, Graumann’s, walk of fame, etc.) in about four hours. Restaurants were touristy chains and overpriced. It is worth considering heading farther afield (LA Farmer’s Market is pretty close to the tar pits and has great food and shopping,) Santa Monica Pier, etc. I won’t ever book a hotel directly in Hollywood again because after the first day, we had already seen everything.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ceilidh1 said:

image.png.1df91e77338a726d70f7d8247d0ebb54.png

This is where my transportation home will be taking me. I have zero plans on getting off in San Francisco or Victoria - done both more times than I care to remember. I was quite amused to find a (very overpriced) shore excursion for Victoria that appeared to have a visit to Tim Hortons as the star attraction. 

i shared that one on my facebook timeline… people got a kick out if it   i think my favorite was the $100 tour with Tim Bits

6 more sleeps until boarding.   cant wait.. took this the last 2 years, so had to do it again

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Reebster said:

Hollywood itself was very disappointing to me, so you may want to head farther afield. We saw everything that needed to be seen there (wax museums, Graumann’s, walk of fame, etc.) in about four hours. Restaurants were touristy chains and overpriced. It is worth considering heading farther afield (LA Farmer’s Market is pretty close to the tar pits and has great food and shopping,) Santa Monica Pier, etc. I won’t ever book a hotel directly in Hollywood again because after the first day, we had already seen everything.

I think that’s why we have opted not to stay there before! We have Universal Studios for one full day then have Warner Brothers the next day and the Hollywood sign tour the next day so hoping we get enough packed in to make it worthwhile! In between those things we will do the hop on hop off bus and might get to La Brea and Santa Monica! I do think Hollywood will be a one and done though….

• Like 4