Thoughts on the Gem

21 hours ago, vince_g said:

Vince Acevedo did 2 shows, with one of them being 18+.  The movies were Dune and Guardians of the Galaxy 3.

I’m doing this cruise in July. I’m disappointed in the clear entertainment cost cutting. In a 7 night cruise, just 2 production numbers, a single comic on multiple nights, and movie nights. 

Do you recall which nights were the 2 production shows?

On 3/25/2024 at 5:18 PM, sawsgal said:

Cabin stewards clean cabin once per day.

I don't understand why people feel the need for cabin service twice a day. In fact, on most cruises we tell the cabin steward that we don't need ANY service on some days. (They're busy enough). Do people really make their beds, change their sheets and change towels every day at home? 

• Like 4

23 hours ago, schmoopie17 said:

I don't understand why people feel the need for cabin service twice a day. In fact, on most cruises we tell the cabin steward that we don't need ANY service on some days. (They're busy enough). Do people really make their beds, change their sheets and change towels every day at home? 

Problem with the little bath towels is the never dry out unless you put a fan on them.

We are booked for cabin 10000 on the Gem to Bermuda; is it ok to use the balcony while at sea. A recent post said that a posted notice forbade balcony use while at sea. 
 Anybody ever run into this restriction, excluding bad weather ? Thanks.

7 minutes ago, PAPAx5 said:

We are booked for cabin 10000 on the Gem to Bermuda; is it ok to use the balcony while at sea. A recent post said that a posted notice forbade balcony use while at sea. 

I saw nothing like that on my TA on Gem back in December

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, PAPAx5 said:

My wife and I are in 10502 in June. You are free to use the balcony any time. At night your curtains must be drawn so no light shines onto the balcony. Their will either be instructions in the cabin or your butler will tell you what to do

Edited by Laszlo

3 hours ago, PAPAx5 said:

We've been in those forward-facing penthouses on the Gem and Jewel several times. Yes, I believe there's a sign about not being out on the balcony when the ship is underway.  But, in practice, there's no issue being out there when the ship is at sea; in fact, the folks on the Navigation Bridge can see you out there.  Never been a problem. 

Just be careful to have the sea door open and hooked to the bulkhead behind it.  And *never* open your stateroom door when the sea door is open and the ship is moving.  It's a mistake you'll only make once.  😂  [And don't let your fingers anywhere near the frame of the sea door when you are opening or closing it.]

One of the most relaxing days I've ever spent was sitting out on that balcony during the sea day after we'd transited the Panama Canal, watching a bunch of Brown Booby birds flying around and landing on the ship, knocking each other off, etc. 

Boobiesonthebow.thumb.jpg.199a7cb5805493cc34197e134d4b2944.jpg

BrownBooby.thumb.jpg.c0a86991464ce59d321fb3e22fea45b6.jpg

Boobiesonthebow3.thumb.jpg.07d1841925bb0b94463a7ffba893b28a.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Has anyone sailed the Gem to Bermuda this May?  We would love to hear a review of your experiences on the ship.  What did you think of the entertainment, cruise director, food, etc?  Thank you.

9 hours ago, umpisoccer said:

Has anyone sailed the Gem to Bermuda this May?  We would love to hear a review of your experiences on the ship.  What did you think of the entertainment, cruise director, food, etc?  Thank you.

Are you looking for immediate replies, or, will a review posted on June 7 be soon enough?

I don't write "live posts". However, I do plan to post about our Gem cruise 5/31 through 6/7, after we return to Boston (or maybe on 6/6 while still on the ship ...if I make time for it).

On 4/22/2024 at 12:28 PM, PAPAx5 said:

We always book a balcony for a TA just for that reason. We spend most of the day on sea days reading and sunning on our own balcony

On 5/28/2024 at 4:21 PM, ggTexasGal said:

Are you looking for immediate replies, or, will a review posted on June 7 be soon enough?

I don't write "live posts". However, I do plan to post about our Gem cruise 5/31 through 6/7, after we return to Boston (or maybe on 6/6 while still on the ship ...if I make time for it).

Thank you.  Whenever you get around to posting your experiences on the Gem would be great.  I'm not sure why but there has been limited posts about the Gem as she started to return to Bermuda in April and May.

• Like 2

On 5/28/2024 at 7:04 AM, umpisoccer said:

I disembarked on May 4th.  It was my 20th cruise and my least favorite. Food was okay and I heard a lot of jazz music. There was a trumpet and sax player that I would've enjoyed if I liked jazz music or the sound of horn instruments.

Part of me wants to try the Gem again in October. I'm wondering if I was in a funk which is why I haven't left a negative review.

• Like 1

Gem was refurbished about 18 months ago so everything feels modern despite it being an old ship. I thought it was a fabulous ship and like many didn't experience any of the issues that the first poster mentioned. I was a little disappointed with the entertainment, there were times on the ship where there was no entertainment, often gaps between being able to find something going on, and the theatre was used seldom. I think most of the issues mentioned may simply be due to how the experience wasn't as great as it was pre-Covid, but I guess that applies to all ships and cruise lines. We've done a few in the last few years and unfortunately due to the cuts required, standards are not as high as they were right across the board. 

• Like 1

I sailed on the Gem last month and it was the worst cruise I have been on.  I have been on 14 cruises primarily with NCL and have been on the Gem out of FL I believe a few years ago.  Entertainment was lacking, musicians in the bars were bad and often had audio issues.  The choice of songs were odd and no one seemed impressed or engaged.  They should play songs people know.  Food was pretty bad as was the service.  Every meal seemed to have an issue either food was cold, an appetizer was forgotten and/or it took 2+ hours for dinner.  This was the first cruise I have seen crew visibly annoyed or unhappy. Will be taking a break from NCL for awhile.

• Haha 2

i would just like to address your comment on "songs people know" please consider that people of different age groups "know different songs" i know doo wopp songs from the 50's and early 60's, sung by some groups people have never heard of. I'm also 76 and even if she's probably the most visible entertainer in the universe right now, i wouldnt know a taylor swift song if she were sitting on my lap and serenading me. in 1972, when i was 22 and my nephew was about 11, we were discussing one of his school projects involving music, and he had no idea who the DOORS were.

also, i understand many people around the mid 70's had no idea paul macartney was in a band before WINGS (hard as that may be to believe). consequently, it's probably impossible for any musical act to play songs all "people know" . With a few thousand people on board, im sure any cruise line will have to  select many of their offerings to  appeal to the largest amount of passengers.  as rick nelson once sang "you cant please everyone"

we were on the star this past april and it was our 30th ncl cruise. out of all of them, this was the most disappointing, the food was horrible, although i cant complain about the service

probably unlike most cruisers, the onboard entertainment is completely  irrelevant to me.

as for 2+ hour dinners, 1st off, im not in any particular hurry, and trying to feed a few 100 people in specialty restaurants, or even greater numbers in the mdr's will take some time.

so while i am truly sorry you were disappointed i the above, i hope the itinerary, your cabin choice, and the price you paid offset the -  aspects

• Like 2

1 hour ago, complawyer said:

i would just like to address your comment on "songs people know" please consider that people of different age groups "know different songs" i know doo wopp songs from the 50's and early 60's, sung by some groups people have never heard of. I'm also 76 and even if she's probably the most visible entertainer in the universe right now, i wouldnt know a taylor swift song if she were sitting on my lap and serenading me. in 1972, when i was 22 and my nephew was about 11, we were discussing one of his school projects involving music, and he had no idea who the DOORS were.

also, i understand many people around the mid 70's had no idea paul macartney was in a band before WINGS (hard as that may be to believe). consequently, it's probably impossible for any musical act to play songs all "people know" . With a few thousand people on board, im sure any cruise line will have to  select many of their offerings to  appeal to the largest amount of passengers.  as rick nelson once sang "you cant please everyone"

we were on the star this past april and it was our 30th ncl cruise. out of all of them, this was the most disappointing, the food was horrible, although i cant complain about the service

probably unlike most cruisers, the onboard entertainment is completely  irrelevant to me.

as for 2+ hour dinners, 1st off, im not in any particular hurry, and trying to feed a few 100 people in specialty restaurants, or even greater numbers in the mdr's will take some time.

so while i am truly sorry you were disappointed i the above, i hope the itinerary, your cabin choice, and the price you paid offset the -  aspects

Taylor Swift can sit on my lap and serenade all she wants LOL

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, cruiselady223 said:

I sailed on the Gem last month and it was the worst cruise I have been on.  I have been on 14 cruises primarily with NCL and have been on the Gem out of FL I believe a few years ago.  Entertainment was lacking, musicians in the bars were bad and often had audio issues.  The choice of songs were odd and no one seemed impressed or engaged.  They should play songs people know.  Food was pretty bad as was the service.  Every meal seemed to have an issue either food was cold, an appetizer was forgotten and/or it took 2+ hours for dinner.  This was the first cruise I have seen crew visibly annoyed or unhappy. Will be taking a break from NCL for awhile.

Were you on the April 26th sailing?  I agree that every meal had an issue and that includes room service. The staff was the grumpiest I've ever seen.

On 5/28/2024 at 4:21 PM, ggTexasGal said:

Hi!  We are booked on the Gem in August - would be very interested in your review (whenever you are up to posting one!) of the ship, restaurants, bars, entertainment, etc.!!  Thank you!