Key Bridge in Baltimore collapses into Patapsco River in Baltimore after vessel crashes into support column

22 minutes ago, MistyRo76 said:

I saw another video that shows the lights going off on the ship as it was coming under the bridge, then turning back off. Then you can see dark smoke coming from the ship. Then the lights go off/on one more time before it finally makes contact with the bridge. It seems like there was some loss of power or a mechanical issue prior to the impact. What a horrific accident. Water temps are around 48 degrees in that area right now with overnight air temps in the low 40's. Hard to believe someone could sustain life in those temps for very long. Praying for everyone involved in this tragedy! 

An emergency call from the container ship gave officials time to begin closing the Francis Scott Key Bridge to vehicle traffic before the ship slammed into it, Maryland Gov. Wes Moore said on Tuesday.

The DALI container ship that struck Baltimore's Key Bridge dropped its anchor prior to impact as part of its emergency procedures after losing propulsion, the Maritime and Port Authority of Singapore (MPA) said in a statement Tuesday.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

41 minutes ago, MistyRo76 said:

I saw another video that shows the lights going off on the ship as it was coming under the bridge, then turning back off. Then you can see dark smoke coming from the ship. Then the lights go off/on one more time before it finally makes contact with the bridge. It seems like there was some loss of power or a mechanical issue prior to the impact. What a horrific accident. Water temps are around 48 degrees in that area right now with overnight air temps in the low 40's. Hard to believe someone could sustain life in those temps for very long. Praying for everyone involved in this tragedy! 

Just goes to show how often preliminary thoughts turn out to be incorrect ones. Glad that they got a Mayday off in time to get at least some traffic stopped.

• Like 8

I wonder if dropping anchor "as part of its emergency procedure after losing propulsion" could have caused the sudden change in direction, heading her into the bridge support column rather than centered between the span?

The DALI container ship that struck Baltimore's Key Bridge dropped its anchor prior to impact as part of its emergency procedures after losing propulsion, the Maritime and Port Authority of Singapore (MPA) said in a statement Tuesday

• Like 2

Question now becomes is where will the Legend be headed until the harbor can reopen. News reports are saying a month at best. Manhattan? Norfolk is not available currently.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, toad455 said:

Question now becomes is where will the Legend be headed until the harbor can reopen. News reports are saying a month at best. Manhattan? Norfolk is not available currently.

Probably assuming available. If not may cooperate with RCI for Bayonne.

7 hours ago, PC 462 said:

Unbelievable!

I've passed under it many times on Carnival Legend and Carnival Pride.

Well as a Marylander i've driven over it many times. I am wondering how long it will be before the Port of Baltimore will host cruises again. 

6 minutes ago, KmomChicago said:

Probably assuming available. If not may cooperate with RCI for Bayonne.

Norfolk is the most likely destination with buses taking people to their final destination. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sammee said:

That would be my guess too, they used this port with hurricane changes  some years back. At least to get everybody back home or back to Baltimore for car pickups.

If Norfolk is unavailable then NJ would be the next best option. 

Reports are questioning the timing of the mayday now and whether the bridge was really closed  before the ship hit - maybe one side closed - because 7 vehicles drive up and off and the pothole crew on the bridge got no warning.

I agree the anchor drag could be found to have made this worse. 

Imagine of one of the cruise ships had been in port - trapped for weeks. This is a lot of steel and debris to remove.

Due to the span size, and the old design, this will take years to replace. They will need new piers and a suspension design. I bet similar to the Cuomo bridge as the main span of each is 1200'. I bet the design of that bridge could be adapted quickly... but consider how long it took to put that bridge up even without the side parts of the bridge.

• Like 3

I have lived in the are for years.  The bridge is important and will be missed, but the marine traffic is essential.  They need to clear the debris like it is wartime.  They can't drag this out over months.  It needs to be done in weeks.  While most people do not get their food from the port, tens of thousands of jobs rely on it, along with fuel and essential industrial/farming equipment.  Two weeks won't ruin things, but two months will cause serious issues.  

A new bridge will of course take years.  But most trucking did not require the key bridge.  It was only required for oversize or hazmat loads, which can go the longer way around the other side of the beltway.  And yes, this will make traffic worse of course.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, KmomChicago said:

I tried some searching and possibly American Constitution is coming in now; a small ship but still 170 guest capacity. Maybe a good test for managing the upcoming CCL and RCI sailings at an alternative port. Logistical nightmare but probably doable.

It will likely be cancelled.  Washington DC does not have a suitable port, the water there is not as deep as the Chesapeake. That's why Baltimore is the primary harbor used. It still has to be dredged from time to time. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, beltsbear said:

They need to clear the debris like it is wartime.  They can't drag this out over months.  It needs to be done in weeks.

I imagine the cleanup will be done as expeditiously as possible - but this is thousands of tons of steel. Plus, it has to be cut up into smaller sized pieces to be removed and hauled away. That isn't a quick process if it is to be done safely.

Edited by tscoffey
  • Like 4

12 minutes ago, jaygatsby27 said:

Norfolk is the most likely destination with buses taking people to their final destination. 

Apparently Norfolk port is under construction and unavailable per prior comments.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KmomChicago said:

Apparently Norfolk port is under construction and unavailable per prior comments.

So if they need a Carnival port, the closest would then be New York City.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, beltsbear said:

I have lived in the are for years.  The bridge is important and will be missed, but the marine traffic is essential.  They need to clear the debris like it is wartime.  They can't drag this out over months.  It needs to be done in weeks.  While most people do not get their food from the port, tens of thousands of jobs rely on it, along with fuel and essential industrial/farming equipment.  Two weeks won't ruin things, but two months will cause serious issues.  

A new bridge will of course take years.  But most trucking did not require the key bridge.  It was only required for oversize or hazmat loads, which can go the longer way around the other side of the beltway.  And yes, this will make traffic worse of course.

I would sometimes commute over the Key Bridge, instead of either tunnel, or through downtown Baltimore.  It was a longer trip for me, but it was BEAUTIFUL!

The clearing of the channel will tell us how seriously the powers that be take the importance of the maritime industry.  The port infrastructure needs upgrading.

Like the Great Baltimore Fire of 1904, which resulted in the rebuilding of downtown with safer modern buildings, water, and sewer, this tragedy could result in the rebuilding of a safer bridge;  maybe even a higher bridge that would allow for larger modern cruise ships to access Baltimore.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, KmomChicago said:

Is it the port itself or just the terminal? Princess is supposed to call at Norfolk on June.

• Like 1

Just now, skywalkr2 said:

Yes. Looks like it can hold 5 ships concurrently and looking at the schedule there’s vacancy daily so now I am assuming this is the most likely outcome.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tidecat said:

Is it the port itself or just the terminal? Princess is supposed to call at Norfolk on June.

It's the long awaited reconstruction of the terminal, however, only Carnival will be totally shut out during the construction per previous reports.

https://www.wavy.com/news/local-news/norfolk/norfolk-cruise-terminal-to-close-for-renovations-in-2024/#:~:text=The city approved %2412 million,be bustling with construction crews

Princess (5), TUI (3) and Crystal (1) are still on (for a very limited schedule) ~

image.jpeg.d8414e07262a924c51387b98d927c487.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

Ummmm, if you say so.  I won’t derail this topic, did not mean to, was only commenting on what I saw heard.

if I say so? AP news is not a network, its pretty cut and dry. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, PC 462 said:

Like the Great Baltimore Fire of 1904, which resulted in the rebuilding of downtown with safer modern buildings, water, and sewer, this tragedy could result in the rebuilding of a safer bridge;  maybe even a higher bridge that would allow for larger modern cruise ships to access Baltimore.

You're still going to be limited by the clearance under the Chesapeake Bay Bridge (US 50) which I find to be 186 feet. That's going to rule out the newest ships.

Edited by Wehwalt
  • Like 4

15 minutes ago, skywalkr2 said:

I'm thinking so - at least for Legend for this Sunday.  Piers 88, 90 and 92 appear to be double sided (up to 6 ships; however the website states FIVE 1,000 foot long berths for cruise vessels) and the schedule for this Sunday is only RCCL Anthem, MSC Meraviglia and Norwegian Getaway.

Carnival also has to ramp up to restart for the April 5th Venezia, so, it just looks like the right choice.

• Like 1

There's space for at least five to dock at Manhattan at the same time, but I don't know if they have the facilities for four of them to turn around (customs, baggage, check-in, etc).

5 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

I was just reading about the 1983 I-95 bridge collapse in Connecticut. They had a temporary bridge in place in 3 weeks and the bridge repaired in 3 months. When something that impacts an economy this much happens things tend to happen quickly. They need to ensure that there are no navigation hazards in the channel and once that's clear ships will be able to make that transit (my layperson's understanding, anyway). (ETA- just saw some pictures and parts of the bridge are visible in the water so those will need to be removed before the channel can re-open.)

That was only a 100 foot section of a deck bridge that spanned the Mianus River in CT. I traveled that route all the time back then; they diverted traffic onto local streets and it was a mess. They did open a temporary crossing with reduced capacity, but it was about 3 months before I-95 was fully open.  And it was only on the northbound side, so they still had the southern span in place. Much different type bridge replacement.  When they recently replace the Tappen Zee Bridge over the Hudson River, it took about 5-years to complete.