Key Bridge in Baltimore collapses into Patapsco River in Baltimore after vessel crashes into support column

Posted (edited)

Just looked at a few posts here, been mainly on 4 other threads, mainly concentrating on the RCI forum.

Maersk is the charterer, but this was not a "bareboat charter" to Maersk, where Maersk would have supplied the crew and taken control of all operations of the ship.  Instead Maersk merely chartered the ship from Synergy Marine merely to carry cargo for Maersk, so Synergy is responsible if they have bareboat chartered the ship from the owner Grace Ocean.

Edited by chengkp75
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 5

1 minute ago, chengkp75 said:

Just looked at a few posts here, been mainly on 4 other threads, mainly concentrating on the RCI forum.

Maersk is the charterer, but this was not a "bareboat charter" to Maersk, where Maersk would have supplied the crew and taken control of all operations of the ship.  Instead Maersk merely chartered the ship from Synergy Marine merely to carry cargo for Maersk, so Synergy is responsible if they have bareboat chartered the ship from the owner Grace Ocean.

I had heard you were mainly over on the Royal thread, what is your take on how the financials will rollout.

36 minutes ago, 1BDNANA said:

This situation is scary similar to Baltimore but that one happened due to a freak storm pushing a barge into the bridge and more pedestrian traffic was on the bridge when it collapsed. It is also one of the bridges that cruise ships barely scrape under when pulling out of port.

First thing I thought of too. I lived down there around that time, I think I moved down right after it happened. The only saving for them was, it was 2 side by side bridges. They were able to convert a one-way bridge into 2-way traffic.

5 minutes ago, sammee said:

First thing I thought of too. I lived down there around that time, I think I moved down right after it happened. The only saving for them was, it was 2 side by side bridges. They were able to convert a one-way bridge into 2-way traffic.

bingo

Just now, WhaleTailFlCruiser said:

Guess if Baltimore is out for awhile then Pride could stay in Tampa? 

Probably not. Port of Tampa is pretty full. Plus a lot easier for folks to pivot to a port somewhere in the northeast where the majority of the cruisers are likely from.

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

I had heard you were mainly over on the Royal thread, what is your take on how the financials will rollout.

As I said, Synergy is the operator, so their P&I insurance will need to cover the expenses of the bridge repair.

I have to apologize that I'm not answering in full, I'm getting the run-around from the power company about our loss of power Saturday night in the ice storm up here, and still no power, and a blocked driveway.

Edited by chengkp75
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 8

4 minutes ago, Sea&SkiCruiser said:

Just heard on our Washington, DC evening news that Carnival is moving its operations to Norfolk.  We're on the Pride April 21st sailing.  Norfolk is okay for us.

4 minutes ago, trrn2016 said:

Channel 4 out of Washington,DC just said Carnival was moving their operations to Norfolk, Virginia. That is all they said.

That doesn’t make sense since That terminal is under construction until next year. 

• Like 2

I am surprised they made the call so soon. They must have received word that the harbor wouldn't be navigable in time for the turnaround in 6 days. It is good for folks on the next cruise, they can go ahead and make preparations to go to Norfolk instead of Baltimore.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, WhaleTailFlCruiser said:

That doesn’t make sense since That terminal is under construction until next year. 

The most important part is a place to physically berth the ship.

A renovated terminal will no doubt make for a more comfortable experience, but as long as there is physically a place to load and unload the ship, process people through customs, the terminal is just an accessory.

Spending on the nature of the renovations, the embarkation and debarkation processes may evolve from sailing to sailing.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, mz-s said:

I am surprised they made the call so soon. They must have received word that the harbor wouldn't be navigable in time for the turnaround in 6 days. It is good for folks on the next cruise, they can go ahead and make preparations to go to Norfolk instead of Baltimore.

I don’t know. I’m booked for a September departure. From the looks of the channel, I’m expecting to leave from Norfolk.

I hope not, but it doesn’t look promising.

4 minutes ago, PC 462 said:

I don’t know. I’m booked for a September departure. From the looks of the channel, I’m expecting to leave from Norfolk.

I don't think it'll take that long to get the debris out of the harbor. Obviously it will take a long time to rebuild the bridge.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, PC 462 said:

There is no way it will take till September to get ships back to Baltimore. The shipping port is way too important. I think it will take less than a month to get a shipping lane open. Rebuilding the is another story,

Edited by ozzie0075
  • Like 8

10 minutes ago, ozzie0075 said:

There is no way it will take till September to get ships back to Baltimore. The shipping port is way too important. I think it will take less than a month to get a shipping lane open. Rebuilding the is another story,

A port official said this fall. So one of you is wrong. Time will tell. It's good people are so sure things will get fixed fast. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, WhaleTailFlCruiser said:

Others have said the construction doesn’t seem to have actually started yet, and that the port is not entirely closed with a small schedule of cruises still operating this year.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, KmomChicago said:

Others have said the construction doesn’t seem to have actually started yet, and that the port is not entirely closed with a small schedule of cruises still operating this year.

Makes sense.  Love it when a plan comes together….quickly. 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Makes sense.  Love it when a plan comes together….quickly. 

Right, this is hugely helpful for anyone on these ships to know what’s going on and get working on adjustments. Ease the troubled minds to have something solid.

Anyone planning to drive obviously has the easiest situation. I’m Assuming they will provide bus service for at least a month for those who prefer not to change flights. 

Very happy that they aren’t planning to cancel any sailings. 

Edited by KmomChicago
  • Like 2

45 minutes ago, tidecat said:

The most important part is a place to physically berth the ship.

A renovated terminal will no doubt make for a more comfortable experience, but as long as there is physically a place to load and unload the ship, process people through customs, the terminal is just an accessory.

Spending on the nature of the renovations, the embarkation and debarkation processes may evolve from sailing to sailing.

When I sailed out of Norfolk in June of 2002 on the Triumph there was no cruise terminal. Security screening was done on the pier. Once I boarded the ship, I was directed to go the main show lounge to be checked in. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WhaleTailFlCruiser said:

I live in Norfolk area, nothing has been started on the terminal as of yet construction wise.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, pcvtmom said:

I'm on the Pride (Tampa to Baltimore??) repositioning cruise from April 7 to April 21. I feel like there will be time to find an alternate port between now and the 21st, and my first thought was Norfolk. I know they are planning to rebuild, to prepare for the arrival of the Sunshine in 2025, since Charleston will no longer accept ships. Depending on how far along the progress is, perhaps Norfolk is still a possibility. I guess speculation is all we can do at the moment.

First up and most important, my thoughts are with the families of those who have perished and who are injured in this terrible incident. Human life is most important.

I too am on the Pride repositioning cruise April 7th. I hope we find out in the next few days what are end destination will be. Changing flights this late is going to be rough enough but having to do that at sea...ay ay ay. 

• Like 5