Carnival Corporation Orders 5th Excel-Class Ship

8 minutes ago, CruiseAdict218 said:

Magic or Vista would probably be bumped to NOLA, Mardi Gras or Celebration would probably move to a shorter run 3/4 day (I would think).

If they toy with bringing one up to NYC for a summer season, that bumps Venezia else where. 

Wouldn’t that have taken place by now? All 4 are getting lengthy dry docks, with them rotating to Europe. They are past the age, the Destiny/Triumph Class got their respective makeovers. 

Yes I have thought they are old as well compared to Destiny class. However they have a lot going for them. 

Soooooo many balconies and few inside cabins. 

Cool interior promenade passageway thingamabob.

Cool basement lounge.

Cool Steakhouse open to the unique funnel. 

With a serious update to the decor and condition they could serve small ports for a long time.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, gopackgo21 said:

Would love to have one on the West Coast, but with Cabo being the most popular stop, I don’t see how it would happen. I have been on all 3 excel ships. They are easily my favorite but I’m so over the ports. We haven’t even gotten off the ship the past few times on half. 

RCL is sending the Quantum of the Seas to Cabo and MSC the Bellissima.  Why are we thinking an Excel class ship can't do it?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Riles34 said:

Now the question is where will the next two home port? I can't imagine they would go to SOCAL with all the parking issues they currently have. Another in Miami and another in PC? I don't think they will fit under the bridge to get to NYC, but that would be awesome!

My guess is Mardi Gras gets moved to New Orleans and one of the newer ships takes over in PC. Then they put the second one in Miami possibly doing the 6-8 day cruises Horizon is on and then move horizon to pc and put vista in nyc full time. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Riles34 said:

I don't think they will fit under the bridge to get to NYC, but that would be awesome!

I really hope they consider showing off in NYC with an Excel ship. Royal has had an Oasis class parked in Jersey every summer doing Canada routes, and MSC has the Meraviglia in Brookyln. Carnival needs another actual Carnival brand option in NYC, IMHO.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KmomChicago said:

Personally I think we’re not close to anything like that. I think they will Sunshine the spirit class ships first. Carnival’s ability to serve so many ports is a brand differentiator and bigger ships will take that away.

With two more Excell class coming they’re really isn’t a reason carnival can’t stick a spirit class full time here in Tampa. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, shof515 said:

Mardi Gras was scheduled to do a few cruises out of NYC: https://thepointsguy.com/news/carnival-mardi-gras-itineraries/ . That never happened due to the ship construction delays and what happen to the world back in the day 

I am soo looking forward to getting a excel class ship out of NYC. hopefully it actually happens in the future

I'm sure NY will get one in the summer - maybe bring back a winter season for Venezia. The issue is carnival gets very little love in the winter in NYC.  

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, WhaleTailFlCruiser said:

With two more Excell class coming they’re really isn’t a reason carnival can’t stick a spirit class full time here in Tampa. 

I thought they do have a spirit class full time in Tampa now. Is it just seasonal?

Edited by KmomChicago

4 minutes ago, KmomChicago said:

I thought they do have a spirit class full time in Tampa now. Is it just seasonal?

Seasonal, As it usually goes to Europe for the summer season which doesn’t make since you would take out a ship during the busiest time. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WhaleTailFlCruiser said:

My guess is Mardi Gras gets moved to New Orleans and one of the newer ships takes over in PC. Then they put the second one in Miami possibly doing the 6-8 day cruises Horizon is on and then move horizon to pc and put vista in nyc full time. 

No way an Excel ship goes to New Orleans anytime soon.  I'd say four of the five ships will be homeported in PC and Miami (possibly a return to Fort Lauderdale) and the fifth at Galveston.  Possible seasonal service at NYC & Europe.  

Outside chance Long Beach gets one, with possible seasonal Alaska.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Stick93 said:

Do they take the rollercoaster off #4 and $5 and try a different gimmick or are they sold on that thing?

I realize this doesn't really mean anything, but just looking at Carnival's picture, the BOLT roller coaster track is still there.

image.jpeg.e1df789d63663ebb36c4a559bae5da32.jpeg

22 minutes ago, Stick93 said:

Do they take the rollercoaster off #4 and $5 and try a different gimmick or are they sold on that thing?

No way, big money maker. Big marketing gimmick, great for commercials on TV to bring in blue cards. Then when they get there, charge em $15 to ride it. No way they would give that up. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, WhaleTailFlCruiser said:

Would love to see Mardi Gras in N.O., but can N.O. handle a ship that big?  I thought I read somewhere that they couldn't bring a ship that large there.

2027:

Excel 4 to Port Canaveral

Freedom from Port Canaveral to Mobile

Spirit from Seattle (summer)/Mobile (winter) to Seattle/Norfolk (winter 2027-28 only)

Mardi Gras stays in Port Canaveral, takes short cruises from Glory; Glory assumes Freedom's 4-5 day program

Sunshine retired

2028:

Excel 5 to Miami

Celebration stays in Miami, takes short cruise program from Conquest

Conquest from Miami to Norfolk

Spirit from Seattle/Norfolk to Seattle/New York (New York gets year round service)

Capacity changes (lower berths) in summary:

Port Canaveral: Long cruises +0, short cruises +2302

Miami: Long cruises +0, Short cruises +2394

Mobile: +2980 (summer)/+856 (winter)

New York: +0 (summer)/+2124 (winter)

Norfolk: -22 (temporary decrease of -878 for winter 2027-28)

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, tidecat said:

2027:

Excel 4 to Port Canaveral

Freedom from Port Canaveral to Mobile

Spirit from Seattle (summer)/Mobile (winter) to Seattle/Norfolk (winter 2027-28 only)

Mardi Gras stays in Port Canaveral, takes short cruises from Glory; Glory assumes Freedom's 4-5 day program

Sunshine retired

2028:

Excel 5 to Miami

Celebration stays in Miami, takes short cruise program from Conquest

Conquest from Miami to Norfolk

Spirit from Seattle/Norfolk to Seattle/New York (New York gets year round service)

Capacity changes (lower berths) in summary:

Port Canaveral: Long cruises +0, short cruises +2302

Miami: Long cruises +0, Short cruises +2394

Mobile: +2980 (summer)/+856 (winter)

New York: +0 (summer)/+2124 (winter)

Norfolk: -22 (temporary decrease of -878 for winter 2027-28)

That is a lot of thought into that....I agree in the Glory and Conquest.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Lee Cruiser said:

Would love to see Mardi Gras in N.O., but can N.O. handle a ship that big?  I thought I read somewhere that they couldn't bring a ship that large there.

The main issue is that Mardi Gras to New Orleans would be an 80% increase in capacity for either 4-5 day or 7 day cruises. If the New Orleans market was that underserved, Carnival would have already done something about it.

LNG supply also be an issue, especially with the optics of having LNG in a densely populated area.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Lee Cruiser said:

Doesn't NCL take the Breakaway class up there seasonally? If that large a ship can fit I would assume an Excel class can. 

7 minutes ago, WhaleTailFlCruiser said:

Doesn't NCL take the Breakaway class up there seasonally? If that large a ship can fit I would assume an Excel class can. 

I don't know specifically if it's the breakaway but yes NCL ported a large ship here and Royal is bringing a bigger class as well. New Orleans can very much support an Excel ship. Boggles my mind people keep come up with made up reasons why it can't. Only issue I see is a capacity (parking/terminal space) problem which is already in the works to be resolved 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, starstruck05 said:

I don't know specifically if it's the breakaway but yes NCL ported a large ship here and Royal is bringing a bigger class as well. New Orleans can very much support an Excel ship. Boggles my mind people keep come up with made up reasons why it can't. Only issue I see is a capacity (parking/terminal space) problem which is already in the works to be resolved 

What larger ship is Royal bringing and when?  We would love to book a larger one. We are booked on a 7 day Royal out of N.O. in January, but it's one the smallest ones.

3 minutes ago, Lee Cruiser said:

What larger ship is Royal bringing and when?  We would love to book a larger one. We are booked on a 7 day Royal out of N.O. in January, but it's one the smallest ones.

I don't remember specifically. I think the Brilliance is what's currently sailing this "season". The change was slated for next "season". I saw it in an email. If I can find I'll update.

• Like 1

There is just no way an Excel class is going to NOLA anytime soon. Sorry, but a Vista class would go there before an Excel. 

Size isn't even an issue, it's the port and pax who would need to fill the ship that is the issue. No way they would jump all the way to their largest when they can test out a Vista class one first to see if it's feasible and worthwhile for them. If NOLA was that undeserved Carnival would have already done something about it before going straight to an Excel class.

NOLA pax aren't coming with the revenue they could be seeing by making Mardi Gras a shorter 3-4/5-6 day itinerary going to Celebration Key while the new Excel class takes over for it in Port Canaveral on its current itinerary and Excel #5 could go to Miami. 

Wouldn't surprise me to see 2x Excel in Miami, with Celebration moving to shorter itineraries. And maybe some seasonal routes from other cities with Mardi Gras.

• Like 1