John Heald Update on Legend Schedule Due to Bridge Collapse in Baltimore

Here is John's full post this morning on the plans for the current and next sailings on the Carnival Legend due to the bridge collapse in Baltimore. 

Good Wednesday morning everyone and it’s 8:30am here so time for me to start answering your questions. Last night our President Christine and the beards made the decision that while rescue and remediation efforts continue in Baltimore Harbor following the collapse of the Key Bridge, it will temporarily move Carnival Legend’s Baltimore operations to Norfolk, Virginia.

Carnival Legend is scheduled to return from its current voyage on Sunday, March 31. It will now return to Norfolk on Sunday, and guests will be provided complimentary bus service back to Baltimore. Carnival Legend’s next seven-day itinerary on March 31 will then operate from and return to Norfolk. Guests on the current and upcoming cruises are being informed of this change.

I see many of you have been asking “ what about my cruise “ and understandably so. Obviously we want to return to Baltimore as soon as possible but it is impossible at this time for us to say when that will happen. So for now we will be informing guests about embarkation for the cruise departing on Sunday, 31st only. We will promise to let guests know for future voyages as soon as we are able. I am sure, I am positive you understand.

I read the thousands of comments here yesterday, many from people who live in Baltimore. The overall sense I get is that the city hasn’t just lost a bridge, it has lost something that was a massively important part of everyday life.

If you are from the Baltimore area please do share your thoughts below, I will be here, we will be here to listen.

Thank you,

John

• Like 4
  • Thanks 5

7 minutes ago, mz-s said:

That's an over 4 hour bus ride. Not how I'd want to end my vacation but what choice do you have?

DW and I discussed this last night. That bus ride would totally suck when all you want to do is go home!  But as you said...do what you gotta do!

• Like 3

I have driven from Baltimore down to Norfolk. It's not going to be 4 hours.

If you are driving, plan for at least double that time (8 hours+), or go the day before. 
Key Tip: Get an E-Zpass so you can use that lane

29 minutes ago, mz-s said:

That's an over 4 hour bus ride. Not how I'd want to end my vacation but what choice do you have?

Exactly, what choice?  I'm waiting for the complaining to begin.   What is Carnival going to do for us.

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

I mean, it's a complimentary bus ride. Not like they're handing you a $20 bill and wishing you luck. I'd make the most of it. Sleep, text with friends, speak with other passengers who were just on the same cruise, compare stories and whatnot. It's an inconvenience, sure, but it's not the end of the world. And you'll have a story to tell for years to come.

• Like 28

20 minutes ago, Moparfiend said:

I have driven from Baltimore down to Norfolk. It's not going to be 4 hours.

If you are driving, plan for at least double that time (8 hours+), or go the day before. 
Key Tip: Get an E-Zpass so you can use that lane

8 hours!!! I wouldn't want to be stuck behind you on the highway.  That's a 4.5 hour drive on average.  5.5 on a bad day on 95 in Virginia.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, mz-s said:

Yeah, but on the other hand how many of us have routinely spent 4+ hours in airports and on planes at the end of a cruise? Though here the trip to Baltimore is not the final destination for many people. They still need to get home from Baltimore.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, mz-s said:

what would especially suck is if you're from Norfolk and had driven to the Baltimore port...  now you gotta take that bus to the port and then just drive right back to Norfolk

• Like 11
  • Haha 17

17 minutes ago, nc762shooter said:

At least it's a Sunday so hopefully that should mean lighter traffic.

Saturday and Sunday are the worst days for travel - craziness.  We live in VA, usually 2 1/2 hours to Baltimore cruise port, BUT the Sunday in April last year was 4 1/2 hours.  BUT the NICE bridge over the Potomac was 2 lanes - now it is 4 lanes.  That was at least an hour hold up.

Take advice from @Noledad77   

LIfe is short, take the cruise.

(And I just checked on this cruise since it is so much closer to us, and am on the WAIT list.  Just guess how much the CARNIVAL Confirmation cost is for a Balcony?  approximately $16,000 - but that just numbers.....................

I hope you all can go and enjoy, no matter how you have to get there - 

Mimi in VA

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Noledad77 said:

I mean, it's a complimentary bus ride. Not like they're handing you a $20 bill and wishing you luck. I'd make the most of it. Sleep, text with friends, speak with other passengers who were just on the same cruise, compare stories and whatnot. It's an inconvenience, sure, but it's not the end of the world. And you'll have a story to tell for years to come.

Well said!  We drive 7+ hours to cruise out of Galveston and NOLA several times a year - could fly, but in total it would take us just as long, if not longer.  Would love for it to only be 4 hours.  And let's remember there are families who have presumably lost loved ones as a result of this bridge collapse.  Prayers for all involved.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Carnival is saying if you cancel your next cruise, you will be penalized $1000.  People are losing they're minds.  I may be in the minority,  but how is this disaster, where people died, Carnival's fault?  Trip insurance, people!!!!

• Like 16

Posted (edited)

They may not be responsible for the situation, but they are responsible for giving you the cruise you booked.  How would it be if you booked a cruise out of Miami and they said, oh, your cruise is now leaving from LA, it is your problem?

IMO, they should offer transport to/from Baltimore and Norfolk.

Or either let you cancel for a full refund or for say 150% of your fare as a credit to a future cruise.

Edited by SRF
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Butterbean1000 said:

Carnival is saying if you cancel your next cruise, you will be penalized $1000.  People are losing they're minds.  I may be in the minority,  but how is this disaster, where people died, Carnival's fault?  Trip insurance, people!!!!

No good deed goes unpunished.  Their generosity in other situations where the circumstances where outside of their control  creates this situation.  

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, SRF said:

They may not be responsible for the situation, but they are responsible for giving you the cruise you booked.  How would it be if you booked a cruise out of Miami and they said, oh, your cruise is now leaving from LA, it is your problem?

Or either let you cancel for a full refund or for say 150% of your fare as a credit to a future cruise.

Except they haven't announced some of these cruises are being cancelled.  They don't know.  Once the cargo ships get moving , cruise ships will be able to dock.  

8 minutes ago, SRF said:

They have no obligation to do any of that for future cruises. For the current cruise, yes, they have an obligation to get those cruisers back to the port of embarkation safely.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, SRF said:

totally depends on the REASON why they are now leaving from LA.  If it's because they just felt like moving the ship, then yes they absolutely should be on the hook for "giving you the cruise that you booked" because the decision to change ports WAS THEIR IDEA.  But for a disaster such as this bridge collapsing, that was in no way a result from anything that Carnival has done - they should not be penalized for it.  They are doing the best that they can - they will eat the cost of getting folks who are already on board back to their vehicles safely (and for free!).  

But it's not their responsibility if you choose not to change your flights or drive to a new location to get the cruise that they ARE STILL OFFERING, with the same ports of call, etc.  Especially if you have plenty of advance notice to make any changes needed

• Like 5

My friend is on Legend now.  She lives in Virginia and has to disembark in Norfolk, get bussed to Baltimore and then drive back to Virginia.  She's fine with whatever has to be but said that those on the ship now are whining, moaning and complaining like never before.

Human nature will always baffle me...lol

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

Except they haven't announced some of these cruises are being cancelled.  They don't know.  Once the cargo ships get moving , cruise ships will be able to dock.  

No but the conditions have significantly changed.  So people should have the option to cancel without penalty for cash or for cruise credit with a bonus.

Posted (edited)

Humanity being in the pits as usual.

Imagine complaining and whining about a 4 hour bus ride when most people have to fly and/or drive (longer than 4 hours!!) to their cruises anyway, and right after a disaster just happened where an entire community and local economy has been affected, impacting thousands if not millions along with some families losing their loved ones.

People need to get out of their own heads for once and remind themselves the world doesn't revolve around them and their entitlement.

Edited by bg2310
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 4

28 minutes ago, mz-s said:

They have no obligation to do any of that for future cruises. For the current cruise, yes, they have an obligation to get those cruisers back to the port of embarkation safely.

No, you have a cruise contract to depart and arrive at a given port.

The contract does allow them to change the itinerary for the ports you stop at.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, SRF said:

No, you have a cruise contract to depart and arrive at a given port.

The contract does allow them to change the itinerary for the ports you stop at.

Absolutely false.

• Thanks 1