Why to do when Gothenburg person at the next table has a FaceTime call in a Specialty Restaurant

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, XBGuy said:

I loved the idea that somebody suggested using a jammer to foil the signal in the dining areas.  Since, as another poster has mentioned, we are talking about a wi-fi signal rather than a cellular signal, such a jammer would not work.  I am not an expert in these things, but I am going to wonder out loud.  It seems to me that wi-fi reception relies on some strategic placement of devices (routers? repeaters?) throughout the ship in order to provide shipwide coverage.  What if they did not deploy those devices in the dining areas?  I have no sympathy for people who feel they must check their email during dinner.

I don't know how easy it is to leave dead areas in a system like that, but I think it would be a great idea.

I remember a bar in the Caribbean, Aruba maybe, where they had a sign saying "No, we don't have wifi. Talk to each other!"

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Destiny0315 said:

The lesson to be learnt from this thread: What happens in Gothenburg...

Screenshot2024-04-01050013.png.de7567b1ffdb2bc203837c6e1635b2a1.png

OMG, this is the funniest part of this whole thread!  We use the " *.* is so hot right now" meme at work when the boss is really focusing on a specific part of a project and riding us about it and he has no clue!  And it changes weekly!  Thanks for the chuckle!

3 hours ago, mgtravelsalot said:

i would have just starting singing to myself, that would have stopped anyone on a phone next to me lol😁

You gave me an idea. I have a horrible singing voice (which is really unfortunate as I love to sing — alone that is). I have chosen my song 🎵 🎶 

If you’re happy and you know it, clap your hands! 👏 👏 

If you’re happy and you know it and you really want to show it,  

If you’re happy and you know it, clap your hands!  👏 👏 

There are a few more verses about stomping feet and yelling Hurrah. But I bet after they hear me serenade them with the 1st verse, they will have moved their conversation elsewhere. 😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

4 minutes ago, sandiego1 said:

You gave me an idea. I have a horrible singing voice (which is really unfortunate as I love to sing — alone that is). I have chosen my song 🎵 🎶 

If you’re happy and you know it, clap your hands! 👏 👏 

If you’re happy and you know it and you really want to show it,  

If you’re happy and you know it, clap your hands!  👏 👏 

There are a few more verses about stomping feet and yelling Hurrah. But I bet after they hear me serenade them with the 1st verse, they will have moved their conversation elsewhere. 😀

S’more Dean Martin

3 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

I don't know how easy it is to leave dead areas in a system like that, but I think it would be a great idea.

I remember a bar in the Caribbean, Aruba maybe, where they had a sign saying "No, we don't have wifi. Talk to each other!"

If ship is sinking the captain will make an announcement 

On 4/1/2024 at 10:47 AM, XBGuy said:

I loved the idea that somebody suggested using a jammer to foil the signal in the dining areas.  

A hammer would work better than a jammer.

But here's an idea.  I have a metronome app on my phone that can emit fairly loud beeps.  When someone is infringing just get the metronome beeping at about 120-180 beeps per minute. Kind of an old school jammer.  You could argue that it would just add to the noise, but if it gets them to stop it is just for the short term.

Just happened today on Zaandam. Middle of the day, many off the ship, lots of tables in the Lido pool area. We sit down. 5 minutes later, a couple sits down immediately next to us. In a couple minutes, they start a face time call, on speaker, literally 4 feet from us. We got and moved 5 tables away...where we could still hear more than enough to be irritating. They knew why we moved...we made it clear. Didn't phase them.

Just now, CruiserBruce said:

Just happened today on Zaandam. Middle of the day, many off the ship, lots of tables in the Lido pool area. We sit down. 5 minutes later, a couple sits down immediately next to us. In a couple minutes, they start a face time call, on speaker, literally 4 feet from us. We got and moved 5 tables away...where we could still hear more than enough to be irritating. They knew why we moved...we made it clear. Didn't phase them.

It's a rude world out there.  Happens time and again.  And there are no clear answers to this dilemma. I can't even go to the public library without noisy people carrying on.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

A hammer would work better than a jammer.  😝

I have a metronome app on my phone that can emit fairly loud beeps.  When someone is infringing just get the metronome beeping at about 120-180 beeps per minute.

Great idea/  I'm going to download one of those.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kay S said:

Great idea/  I'm going to download one of those.

FWIW, the one I have is called Easy Metronome.  And it is, no muss no fuss.  Several different sounds.  Easy to set the tempo.  I got it to time the holds for physical therapy.

• Like 1