Why to do when Gothenburg person at the next table has a FaceTime call in a Specialty Restaurant

7 minutes ago, RedIguana said:

Do they have selective blocking? You know, for those occasions when the wife says "Honey, I've been thinking......"

😈

I've asked the development team to look into it. Shhh, don't tell my DW! 😇

• Haha 1

On 3/28/2024 at 9:45 PM, Ipeeinthepools said:

The greeter said there was nothing she could do.  So I had to join the call by standing behind the person and talking to the other person until he hung up.  It’s outrageous that it had came to this.  His name was Carl and he was from Germany.  Are there no standards for decent behavior?

Did you just try asking the person, nicely, if they could take their call away from the table?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 3/29/2024 at 9:28 AM, terrydtx said:

Last year on the Celebrity Apex one night in the Fine Cuts Steak house, the table next to us, one of those so called "Influencers" had set up the table with all of her streaming equipment so she could have dinner with her "followers".  I complained first to her about the noise and distraction, to which she told me it was her "right" to do this. I then asked the manager to be moved to another table, but none were available, and the manager told me the woman had pre-cleared her direct streaming. We got up and left demanding we not be charged for our dinner we did not eat, we did get the credit back. I saw this same woman doing her streaming all over the ship but Celebrity would do nothing to stop her. Thankfully this woman was not in the Retreat so we did not have to put up with her in Luminae and the Retreat Lounge. I would hope HAL would not allow this same very annoying and distracting activities by these "Influencers"

It's free advertising. They aren't going to refuse it. 

It just seems that obnoxious behaviour is becoming more common.  On our last cruise in November on the Koningsdam we went to the MDR for dinner and we were seated at a lovely table for 2 in front of a window.  Right next to us though was a very raucous table of six who luckily for us were on their dessert when we were seated.  They were very loud.  I wear a hearing aid and can tell you that it was quite the experience for me to stay at our table.  They were so loud in fact that when they got up to leave one of the diners leaned over and said to us, laughingly, "you can enjoy your dinner in quiet now that we are leaving, " and then just smiled and went on their way.  I took their response as they knew they were loud and they just didn't care.

So no, I am not surprised by these experiences.

• Like 3

On 3/28/2024 at 5:36 PM, Ipeeinthepools said:

What do you do when the person in the specialty restaurant has a FaceTime call?

Last night in Canelletos  a guest had a FaceTime call with a friend during your dinner.  What should you do?  It was really annoying.

AiTAH?

That's a job for that particular specialty restaurant's manager/maitre 'd

• Like 5

13 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

I am very consious of appearing to speak to no one when having a conversation on the BT hearing aids. 

It's the new normal, Colin -- my mom laughs that it used to be people would think you were crazy if you talked to the air, but now you can actually be crazy and people just think you have a real discrete phone.

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

37 minutes ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

The Canelleto Maitre'd said she wasn't going to do anything

Easy peasy; next up the ladder: go to her boss, the restaurant operations manager, and ask him/her why the Canaletto Mngr. is not doing her job which is first politely and professionally giving a heads up to a guest whose actions are distracting from the enjoyment of the restaurant by other guests  

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

One good electromagnetic pulse from detonation of a relatively close nuclear device will solve the problem. 😉

Then of course, no one will be able to find their way back to their room because the Navigator App won't work. 🙄 So, maybe it's not a good idea. 🤣

I'm assuming Captain XXXXX still has: a sextant, chronometer, charts and a magnetic compass, thus will be able to find a port (somewhere). 🤔😓

Edited by Bill B
Forgot 'chronometer'.

1 hour ago, Copper10-8 said:

Easy peasy; next up the ladder: go to her boss, the restaurant operations manager, and ask him/her why the Canaletto Mngr. is not doing her job which is first politely and professionally giving a heads up to a guest whose actions are distracting from the enjoyment of the restaurant by other guests  

I think your dinner would be over before anyone responded, so what good did it do.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

I think your dinner would be over before anyone responded, so what good did it do.

Probably true, but it might improve response the next time a diner is in this situation. Alternatively, report the issue on the navigator app. They really do look at it. Again, that won't give an immediate response, but if enough people complain, they might pay attention to the issue. 

• Like 7

5 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Probably true, but it might improve response the next time a diner is in this situation. Alternatively, report the issue on the navigator app. They really do look at it. Again, that won't give an immediate response, but if enough people complain, they might pay attention to the issue. 

The purpose would be as you said make it better for others in the future. But they may just send you some chocolate covered strawberries. The universal sorry something went wrong token offering. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

On 3/29/2024 at 11:45 AM, cbr663 said:

Many passengers who have decades of sailing without a cell phone and high speed internet access now suddenly must have it to cruise.  

Thankfully many of us still don't. 

• Like 2

There have been two responses to the "Gothenburg person" question.

One said it was a typo, another said it was a stereotype of a Swedish person. 

I still don't get it, and I can't be the only one.

Will the OP please explain it ? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 3/29/2024 at 4:23 PM, terrydtx said:

A victim of AI spellchecking,

2 hours ago, Boatdrill said:

There have been two responses to the "Gothenburg person" question.

One said it was a typo, another said it was a stereotype of a Swedish person. 

I still don't get it, and I can't be the only one.

Will the OP please explain it ? 

@terrydtx was correct, it was an AI spellcheck to something that I was typing.  I think I went back to correct a spelling error and didn't notice that AI was helping me.  No Swedish any other stereotype was intended.

• Thanks 3

45 minutes ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

No Swedish any other stereotype was intended.

You have inadvertently made a permanent contribution to the language. From here onward, one who disrupts a public space with their e-device shall be referred to as a "Gothenburger" engaged in "Gothenburging".

I doubt the Swedes will take offense. But if you see the longboats on the horizon, you might want to head for the hills.

• Like 2
  • Haha 12

2 hours ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

@terrydtx was correct, it was an AI spellcheck to something that I was typing.  I think I went back to correct a spelling error and didn't notice that AI was helping me.  No Swedish any other stereotype was intended.

what were you trying to type

• Thanks 3

I, too, noticed the ‘influencers’ on our most recent cruise. Or some sensible reason I saw so many false eyelashes at the beaches. I wish I had actually counted instead of just rolling my eyes. 

There was one guy who shared a picture of a lot of cash on his bed. That just seemed to be asking for trouble. 

The one time I was in a similar situation, the headwaiter was able to move us to another table.  I agree that the best action to take is to summon the room manager and advise him.  I understand that the answer might very well be, "There is nothing I can do."  However, if incidences like these are consistently reported, it may trickle up.

I disagree with the opinion that a Face Time conversation is the same as an in-person conversation.  I have observed that even when an ordinary telephone conversation is put on "speaker,"  not only is the volume of the speaker set to a higher level than normal conversation--especially, in a busy dining room--but when somebody puts their phone on speaker, they tend to talk louder.  Perfectly understandable.  When holding the phone to the ear, but microphone is quite close to the mouth.  The person holding the phone is subconsciously aware that there is no need to raise his/her voice.  When switching the audio to speaker, the user tends to hold the instrument away from his/her mouth and talks louder in order for the now distant microphone to pick up his/her wisdom.  I see (and hear) this regularly on my morning visits to the local coffee shop.

I loved the idea that somebody suggested using a jammer to foil the signal in the dining areas.  Since, as another poster has mentioned, we are talking about a wi-fi signal rather than a cellular signal, such a jammer would not work.  I am not an expert in these things, but I am going to wonder out loud.  It seems to me that wi-fi reception relies on some strategic placement of devices (routers? repeaters?) throughout the ship in order to provide shipwide coverage.  What if they did not deploy those devices in the dining areas?  I have no sympathy for people who feel they must check their email during dinner.