'Twas the Cruise Over Easter - 9 Day Southern Caribbean - March 29 - April 7, 2024

POA1

On 3/30/2024 at 5:27 PM, POA1 said:

We're avid readers, but we read ebooks from the Broward County Library. We're currently working on "Finlay Donovan Rolls the Dice" by Elle Cosimano. It's book 4 in the Finlay Donavan series. If you like mysteries, we heartily endorse these. Very twisty.

Since you mentioned this series, which never having met you seems to fit your trademark brand of humor, i felt compelled to ask if you ever considered being a novelist.

Being from Ft. Lauderdale, you could have the inside track on reviving one of my all time favorite characters from yesteryear, Arch McNally. Are you familiar?

I would presume you are also a fan of the zany mysteries (in many series) of Janet Evanovich. 

• Like 2

This morning's Natural Wonders of Aruba is a three hour tour (... a three hour tour.) Once we're done seeing all that is naturally wonderful about Aruba, we'll return to the ship for our first Lido lunch of the trip.

I'm feeling the fish & chips because it's haddock today. T

My child bride will probably have a salad, topped with some sort of protein.

17119742681141.thumb.jpg.240c93865beaf5d0cd7a1dcd4b35628e.jpg

Poohby Joe is rocking his throwback HAL logo tee.

This is our first time on the port side of the ship in ages. (Checks notes...) We've been on the starboard side since 2014.

Those are the odd-numbered staterooms. Don't judge.

The high today is only supposed to be 84°F / 29°C.  Hoping we have similar temperatures in Bonaire two days from now. That's a beach day.

• Like 13
  • Haha 4

@POA1Thank you for your amusing and informative posts.  

I found my first ”Finlay” novel in the library of the Oosterdam and have now read the entire series.  Not to let this wonderful thread drift too far but @Ready2go11 my favorite novels set in Florida are by Carl Hiaasen.  I also like Tim Dorsey’s main character Serge.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Ready2go11 said:

Since you mentioned this series, which never having met you seems to fit your trademark brand of humor, i felt compelled to ask if you ever considered being a novelist.

Being from Ft. Lauderdale, you could have the inside track on reviving one of my all time favorite characters from yesteryear, Arch McNally. Are you familiar?

I would presume you are also a fan of the zany mysteries (in many series) of Janet Evanovich. 

Ooh... We're going literary! Not familiar with Arch McNally, so thanks for the tip.

I have read all the Travis McGee novels, set mere blocks from where we live.

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, 0106 said:

@POA1Thank you for your amusing and informative posts.  

I found my first ”Finlay” novel in the library of the Oosterdam and have now read the entire series.  Not to let this wonderful thread drift too far but @Ready2go11 my favorite novels set in Florida are by Carl Hiaasen.  I also like Tim Dorsey’s main character Serge.

Big fan of both Hiaasen and the hilariously dark Serge Storms books.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 3/30/2024 at 6:30 PM, POA1 said:

If it gets into the top 5, I'll be delighted. If it hits #1, I might be rooting to miss Half Moon Cay. 😉

I haven’t had a bad burger ever in the Pinnacle Grill.  They are delicious and huge!  It seems to be one thing most ships are very consistent about.  enjoy 🙂 

On 3/30/2024 at 8:59 PM, Copper10-8 said:

Ever since HAL (re)built and opened these new libraries on the different ship classes which, someone decided, contain multiple copies of the same book, I've been wondering how many of these books don't make it back to the library they came from and instead wind up in someone's valise on the way to a new home on terra firma

I can’t fathom why anyone would want to weigh down their luggage with a hard cover book they had read and had been handled by others.  There were lots returning them to the library on Rotterdam when I went to return mine.

On 3/31/2024 at 11:20 AM, POA1 said:

I've attached the PDF of the full wine list in case anyone wants to see the bottles and wine packages.

20240330—wine-rtm.pdf 1.66 MB · 20 downloads

Thanks so very much.  I very much appreciate the updated listing for a few weeks from now.  We don’t have HIA and plan to make use of the wine packages 😉 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kazu said:

Thanks so very much.  I very much appreciate the updated listing for a few weeks from now.  We don’t have HIA and plan to make use of the wine packages

We read 95%+ of our books electronically. I have a Kindle Paperwhite which is a nice, e-ink reader that's good in any light. The battery lasts a good week. I don't think I've taken a physical book with me in years.

Your wine list might be a hybrid depending on what the Volendam has left in stock. Hope they have winds you like!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We're back from our first Aruba HAL tour of the cruise. The guide, Benjamin, really knows his stuff. His narration was "I'd pay extra for those on a private tour" quality.

Natural Wonders of Aruba is a full size, coach bus tour. The vehicle was a new Volvo Marcopolo, with good A/C, a comfortable ride and clear, easy to understand sound.

I'd call this tour a nice overview of the island, probably better than others we've had in other ports. We normally book private tours, but I have no complaints about this one.

We'll have to compile our photos and get them into some semblance of order. That'll be project for the not-Curaçao sea day tomorrow.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

A shout out to the Rotterdam's laundry. I have a tan cotton dress shirt that is possessed by demons. I ironed it - both inside and out - before we left home. I even used Magic Sizing (for crispness without stiffness!) and the shirt managed to adopt that "just slept in an alleyway" look during the trip from our condo to the ship. As many of you know, this is a short trip.

I sent the devil-shirt out for laundry, pressing, and exorcism last night. It was back this afternoon, looking perfectly pressed.

Michelle had some Peruvian Chicken liquid (chickquid?) drip on a pair of white dress slacks. We sent them out for dry cleaning. For a mere five of the American dollars, the dry cleaners got the stain out. It would have cost twice that at home.

I'm not saying that having Poohby Joe send them a big bag of M&Ms on Saturday had any bearing on things, but I'm not ruling it out either.

• Like 11
  • Haha 12

I'm enjoying your Rotterdam cruise, thanks so much for bringing us along.  What did you think of that pork belly dish?  Also, please give a big hug from Pat and Ann to Apinya in the Tamarind if you go there one evening.  We were so hoping she would be back on the NS this month, but no such luck!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, POA1 said:

Hope they have winds you like!

Also the WINES you like. Zero booze involved today.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

Back from the Sunset Sail. A nice excursion, but make sure you sit on the port side of the catamaran.

We got back at 7:30 PM, grabbed a quick shower and dressed for dinner.

More to follow. Feel free to chat amongst yourselves while we eat.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 9

Maine will get snow starting Wednesday night into Thursday, so I am really enjoying tagging along on your wonderful cruise! 😊 Thanks for all the updates, 

great pictures and menus.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, POA1 said:

I sent the devil-shirt out for laundry, pressing, and exorcism last night. It was back this afternoon, looking perfectly pressed.

Hadn't you heard HAL's new laundry slogan: "Pressed, not possessed." 😈

• Like 2
  • Haha 8

27 minutes ago, BetsyS. said:

Maine will get snow starting Wednesday night into Thursday, so I am really enjoying tagging along on your wonderful cruise! 😊 Thanks for all the updates, 

great pictures and menus.

What part of Maine do you hail from? We were in Kennebunk for about 15 years.

I didn't grow up in Maine, but I've lived in Kennebunk for the last 11 years.

I think it's a great place. I like the fact that HAL sails out of Boston. It's 

very convenient. 

Posted (edited)

Chronology be damned, we're skipping over today's excursions and jumping right into dinner.

17120227642133.thumb.jpg.490fa62b702a624b0e2a6d5933826753.jpg

Michelle started with the Seared Black Pepper Duck Breast. The pairing was the Crios by Susana Balbo Malbec.

17120227643905.thumb.jpg.546339b7f0f8fadd8d04b6f29e7ed292.jpg

I had the Port to Table appetizer, the Corn and Salt Fish Fritter. Its wine buddy was the Chateau Ste. Michelle Chardonnay.

Of the two dishes, the duck was more successful.

Edited by POA1
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

When Michelle ordered her duck, Ris (our first draft pick) told her that it was an excellent choice. I had intended to order a different second, but I said, "If the quinoa is going to make me sad, I'd take the duck as my second course."

I received the duck, making a photo redundant. Michelle had the Arugula and Pumpkin Salad. There is no photo of it. Either she tucked into it before we grabbed a picture, or the salad was shy. (I'm going with the latter.)

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

Posted (edited)

Moving on to the main course, the lady ordered the Braised Beef Short Ribs. We paired it with the Sokol Blosser Evolution Pinot Noir out of Oregon.

17120227643224.thumb.jpg.8e5df89235df5f3e04f70d3e5c309cde.jpg

The short rib dish. It must e been outstanding, because we had a really, really quiet table for a while.

I opted for the Turkey Roast and Cranberry. This dish had sweet potatoes, stuffing, Brussels sprouts, gravy - the works. (If they're taking suggestions, green bean casserole would knock this entrée out of the park.)

17120227640412.thumb.jpg.9a035154ef31382d0a36eba9762ba658.jpg

Thanksgiving - another Pinot Noir pairing opportunity. Walking into CO fairly late during dinner service, I was drawing a complete blank on what to order. This "National Holiday on a Plate" seemed perfect for the occasion.

Edited by POA1
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Dessert is normally bloodsport here in house of Morgan. We fought to a draw on this one. I felt that she had the better dessert, and she liked mine best.

17120227637220.thumb.jpg.921aa05e1520a76e2a75058d55a98d43.jpg

Chocolate Caramel Tart - Warre's Warrior port was the wine. (The leading tip of the tart does appear depressed.)

17120227638811.thumb.jpg.faf8dd76aad41a37613344cefc0ccf2e.jpg

The Chocolate bread pudding evokes shoo-fly pie or Pennsylvania Dutch funny cake. Served with  Couvoisssr Napoleon Cognac

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

On 3/31/2024 at 3:49 PM, tompeter said:

Assuming you mean Rachel (lead singer). She said she was going on vacation after NS...If you get a chance to speak with her, could you find out her schedule for next several months (if she knows), Thanks. We love her voice! 

Rolling Stone was off tonight. Rachel is a short term fill in before she leaves for a stateside project. We'll see if we can learn more when the band is back in the rotation.

• Like 3

04-02-Postcard-Not-Curacao.jpg

Good morning from definitely not Curaçao! When we booked this cruise, we were going to visit the ABC Islands of Aruba, Bonaire, and Curaçao. Bonaire and Curaçao recently started limiting the number of cruise ships that could call, which caused a lot of itineraries to be changed.

We now have a sea day in place of Curaçao. We'll be meandering all day to cover the short distance between Aruba and Bonaire. Here's the 6:00 AM fix and past course.

Fixcourse.thumb.png.eb1ae10a653fc9176f538ce5ad144cfc.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2024-04-02-Sea-Day.jpg

Good morning, Cruise Critic Chums! We're breakfasting in da Club before our day of cabana living.

Today is my day for randomly roaming around and snapping shots of things that I find interesting.

So... If you have any requests, fire away and I'll do my best. Already planning to get the art tour packet, @Haljo1935

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2