'Twas the Cruise Over Easter - 9 Day Southern Caribbean - March 29 - April 7, 2024

POA1

For our impromptu happy hour, DW is having the Cucumber Mojito. I'm having the Morimoto DreamBrut Rosé. The sparkler is very dry. I like it. The Mojito is good, but not a traditional version of the drink.

17117464142761.thumb.jpg.9e4ade2bffd6f1b2801b11c472e5918d.jpg

17117464143892.thumb.jpg.f26b147df3c613fc385eb56ce6228ae1.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

@POA1 I fully support the vital work of the Institute and look forward to your reports on this vital research. I am mildly concerned with the Painkiller recipe though, @Navybikermom is suggesting there is a problem with the recipe. I found them delightful on our Zaandam cruise last year; I did alter it to personal preference by omitting the nutmeg sprinkle on top. If it's not too much trouble perhaps someone from the research team could perhaps sample said libation to report if the mixture has been corrupted in recent times.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

@POA1 I fully support the vital work of the Institute and look forward to your reports on this vital research. I am mildly concerned with the Painkiller recipe though, @Navybikermom is suggesting there is a problem with the recipe. I found them delightful on our Zaandam cruise last year; I did alter it to personal preference by omitting the nutmeg sprinkle on top. If it's not too much trouble perhaps someone from the research team could perhaps sample said libation to report if the mixture has been corrupted in recent times.

It's on the research schedule for tomorrow. We'll have to try it from the Crow's Nest because that's close to the cabanas. Keep after me if I don't post about it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Maybe it was just bad timing on my part. I was on the NA in 2022 and they were awful. I can’t recall if I had one on the Zaandam later that fall or not… 🤔

• Like 1

I normally get the extra rum floater, which is covered by the EBP. Does that pass muster with the research steering committee?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, POA1 said:

I normally get the extra rum floater, which is covered by the EBP. Does that pass muster with the research steering committee?

Sounds like an interesting twist, adding more rum to the mix.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, BetsyS. said:

I hope you will get the Easter brunch menu soon! 😊🥂 Thanks for all the updates.

Ooh, yes - I have been looking forward to seeing that menu since @POA1 said they would be on this cruise. So exciting😎

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Navybikermom said:

Maybe it was just bad timing on my part. I was on the NA in 2022 and they were awful. I can’t recall if I had one on the Zaandam later that fall or not… 🤔

I don't drink them, so I had no opinion to offer, but cabin mate was quite disappointed w/hers Dec on K'dam. She did not say what was wrong, just made a face at the first sip and said "that's not right" and did not order another one. She did; however, find the Lemondrops quite tasty.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, VMax1700 said:

Eggscellent reporting so far.  

Do remember that repetition is an important element of research!

Enjoy Rotterdam and Southern Caribbean.

I could not agree more. It's why God gave me two hands.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

@POA1 following along!  I hope you know I took one for the team on our South Pacific cruise and tried a Weng Weng (or whatever it’s called).  Hubby had to go get me a can of Sprite to keep diluting it 🤦‍♀️ The server thought it was pretty funny.  

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, canadianbear said:

@POA1 following along!  I hope you know I took one for the team on our South Pacific cruise and tried a Weng Weng (or whatever it’s called).  Hubby had to go get me a can of Sprite to keep diluting it 🤦‍♀️ The server thought it was pretty funny.  

🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺

aloha!! LOL! Been there done that AND NEVER AGAIN! 😂 LOL

🌺Mahalo Denise🤗

• Like 2

I'm going to see if the Easter brunch menu is available tomorrow. If I can get a copy, I'll post it.

We tried to counter-program the first night's dinner issues by going to the Tamarind bar and having some appetizers to kill time. On the Nieuw Statendam, we had the panko crusted asparagus, tuna poke, and fried lobster sushi roll.

We skipped the roll tonight. That was a mistake. We needed to get to Club Orange around 8:00 PM to beat the crowds. We arrived at 7:15, and there was a backlog. We sat outside for about 12-14 minutes before being seated. (And hoo-boy, people were cranky.)

More to follow in the morning.

Before I leave you and sign off for night, I have to report that the Chocolate Hazelnut Bread Pudding with warm vanilla sauce was outstanding. It had gooey bits, crispy bits, and crunchy toasted hazelnuts. I fully expected to lose the dessert round because Michelle ordered the Brownie Cheesecake, a serious contender. However, when the judges tallied their scores, the pudding won.

Deepest apologies to team fruit cobbler, but it was one delectablePXL_20240330_0034221422.thumb.jpg.258d8c2f7ea93d6b5d4513397b5b87a0.jpg

pPXL_20240330_0034095362.thumb.jpg.801c09b21fb72bda701f41e26093dca5.jpguddin'. The rest of dinner will follow.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 3

16 minutes ago, DeeniEncinitas said:

🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺

aloha!! LOL! Been there done that AND NEVER AGAIN! 😂 LOL

🌺Mahalo Denise🤗

We had the HIA so figured I’d at least try it 🤦‍♀️  never again is right for me either!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

@POA1, About the Wi-Fi calling not working with Surf package.....my friend used the Surf Package for WhatsApp calls three weeks ago on Eurodam in the Caribbean.  Do you IT knowledgeable people know why they are different?

~Nancy

Edited by oakridger
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, oakridger said:

@POA1, About the Wi-Fi calling not working with Surf package.....my friend used the Surf Package for WhatsApp calls three weeks ago on Eurodam in the Caribbean.  Do you IT knowledgeable people know why they are different?

~Nancy

Wi-Fi calling uses SIP. It's a protocol that runs on very specific ports (TCP/IP ports, not Aruba and Bonaire ports.) The SIP port is blocked. WhatsApp runs over the standard web ports. That's why it'll run, while Wi-Fi calling won't.

Uograzs-wifi-premium.thumb.png.6bca2dd6062fdb7c296d083a0b76237d.png

The upgrade your Internet page tells you that premium will allow Wi-Fi calling. I'll probably skip the upgrade. I'll have cell service in every port, and I'm already traveling with the one person I call and text most.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)

Less than a day in, and my chronological order is already shot to heck. I also did something weird with my caption spacing on the previous bread pudding picture.

I hang my head in shame.

Night one dinner:

17117916209504.thumb.jpg.f98130ba717e54ac4c9a120e4451e63b.jpg

Michelle started with the shrimp cocktail. Nicely prepared, slight kick to the sauce. Wine pairing was a white Côtes du Rhône.

17117916208653.thumb.jpg.4b281ce3591959deb2db10ccaecdfb67.jpg

I had the croquette. It was good, but would have benefitted from another 15 seconds on the fry. Brian's pairing was a Sauvignon Blanc.

17117916210696.thumb.jpg.313eb10884907c537bf989ed594cfc57.jpg

For main courses, the lady had the Peruvian Chicken, one of her favorites. Apologies for the the photo quality. I'm doing this in the dark, in bed. I'd normally correct the color balance, but that's hard when the phone is in dark mode.

17117916210165.thumb.jpg.716ce5ee3eb25def51d0e798fe514f38.jpg

The gentleman had the cobia. Both entrées were paired with the French "Romance" Rosé, not because it was a spectacular pairing, but mostly so I could test drive it to see how it was.

17117916211798.thumb.jpg.5c702d68a1a6a1be217e6d0db54ec5f1.jpg

Dessert was the brownie cheesecake for DW. A good, solid choice., and a former winner from our last outing.

17117916211277.thumb.jpg.83b7288115bf4cb3e6f9103ad9642a2f.jpg

I had the dark horse candidate, the chocolate hazelnut bread pudding. We declared it the winner. If I intend to push through with Project Puddin', I'm going to have to add a double espresso to my after dinner routine. These carb bombs really sap my late night, out to party energy.

Edited by POA1
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

I was happy to see the after dinner cordials make their return. Alas the collectible souvenir glasses are still the frosted glass with pewter badges. I'll have to see if it's a new series or if it's still the same.

Michelle had a cappuccino after dinner. I had the Mocha Mint cordial.

17117942026880.thumb.jpg.e6d89c928cae8ef7ea8a884b41ec9059.jpg

The taste was fine, but the look was "Haunted Mansion." I think I'm back to cognac after this. These sugar shots are a young man's game.

• Like 5
  • Haha 7

2 hours ago, POA1 said:

I was happy to see the after dinner cordials make their return. Alas the collectible souvenir glasses are still the frosted glass with pewter badges. I'll have to see if it's a new series or if it's still the same.

Michelle had a cappuccino after dinner. I had the Mocha Mint cordial.

17117942026880.thumb.jpg.e6d89c928cae8ef7ea8a884b41ec9059.jpg

The taste was fine, but the look was "Haunted Mansion." I think I'm back to cognac after this. These sugar shots are a young man's game.

That one matches one in my set. 😒

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, canadianbear said:

I only ever ordered one because people were so interested in them. I drink bourbon, either on the rocks or neat. The Weng Weng reminds me a lot of a Long Island Iced Tea without the cola. I don't trust sneaky drinks that creep up on you. I want to know the alcohol is there. Up front. Proud.

• Like 6
  • Haha 4

03-30-Postcard-Sea-Day.jpg

We were up early and opened the Club Orange dining room. Service was fast, friendly and efficient. I think we've found our guy. We'll be sending out our offer letter later today.

I won't give names yet. I do not want someone to snatch him up before we sign him to Team Cheer.

We skipped breakfast pix today. It was an omelet, a frittata, and Bloody Marys. We passed on toast and pastries because we're having lunch at the Pinnacle Grill.

So, naturally, the cabana guys brought us a basket of them.

17118051530310.thumb.jpg.9050412337f34cce0ca6a8828a68fd53.jpg

The eagle-eyed among you might notice that Poohby Joe is sporting his Guide to Cabana Living t-shirt. It's been 10 years since the first edition. (Nieuw Amsterdam, 2014. Out of print, available at rare booksellers only.)

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1