How Does HAL Compare?

1 hour ago, dawnvip said:

We booked category F2, which is fairly close to a Signature Suite on HAL. My TA got us a better deal than what is captured in your post, in CAD $ (so 30% savings right there). I'm also comparing overall cost to our "usual" final bill which includes an extra 1 or 2 specialty restaurant nights over the course of the 14 nights, excursions in each port, drinks over the HIA cap (my wine and DH's scotch), etc. 

Don't get me wrong, I would have gladly sailed HAL in June if my TA had not gotten the Regent for us!

It seems it's the savings on excursions that makes the pricing comparable; is that correct? When we've compared such lines, the cost of Neptune suites are sometimes comparable with the luxury lines that don't include excursions.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, dawnvip said:

We booked category F2, which is fairly close to a Signature Suite on HAL. My TA got us a better deal than what is captured in your post, in CAD $ (so 30% savings right there). I'm also comparing overall cost to our "usual" final bill which includes an extra 1 or 2 specialty restaurant nights over the course of the 14 nights, excursions in each port, drinks over the HIA cap (my wine and DH's scotch), etc. 

Don't get me wrong, I would have gladly sailed HAL in June if my TA had not gotten the Regent for us!

Regent may be different but when I have sailed “luxury “ lines with included excursions the excursions which were included were a waste of time and cattle herders.  After a few of those I started touring independently at my own expense 

Edited by Mary229
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Mary229 said:

Regent may be different but when I have sailed “luxury “ lines with included excursions the excursions which were included were a waste of time and cattle herders.  After a few of those I started touring independently at my own expense 

We learned early on in our cruising life, that cruise- line excursions are seldom worth the price and tend to do independant tours as well. During our last Alaska cruise (Celebrity) we found it quite difficult to find independant tours because the tour companies rely so heavily on the cruise industry. We have excursions booked with Regent in each port, and will report back on whether they are worth it. Regent does offer many tours for an extra charge, but we stuck with the included ones. 

• Like 1

Going to be a newbie with Hal in September on Niew Statendam ,normally a Celebrity cruiser so looking forward to comparisons .

Not sure what the deal is for Gala nights, is it smart casual or proper dinner attire ?

Guessing its not full formal wear but like to check .

Can anyone comment on if we get free drinking water in our cabin?

Posted (edited)

We mostly do NCL and did a HAL last year and have another booked. HAL is definitely more refined and quieter, but unfortunately that also extends to the entertainment options.  Especially now that they pretty much got rid of Lincoln Center classical performances. Lots more space for quiet reading and gathering on HAL. Drink variety is MUCH better on NCL and servers much more proactive and prolific. All the drink menus are pretty basic on HAL (but they can probably make more if you tell them the ingredients) and you sometimes have to go and hunt down a server yourself to get a drink or refill.  Food the same although we found it interesting you could normally get the dining room food on the buffet (I guess that is a positive?) with HAL. The maps and sailing info on room TVs are better on HAL. Definitely 20+ year older average age on HAL.

We are mainly itinerary driven and HAL has that in spades with longer trips visiting unique ports that others don't visit often.

Edited by pghflyer

1 hour ago, hobgoblin said:

Can anyone comment on if we get free drinking water in our cabin?

Yes, from the bathroom tap (faucet).  Perfectly good to drink.  Or available in Lido 24 hours (ice optional) along with tea/coffee.  Bottled water is chargeable.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, hobgoblin said:

Not sure what the deal is for Gala nights, is it smart casual or proper dinner attire ?

It's in between. For males there are very few tuxedos, a few suits, mostly jacket and shirt, sometimes a tie.  For females -  I have not seen a formal gown worn in years, usually a bit of glam and glitz and sparklies.  (written as a male and fully expect to be hammered for this).

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

It's in between. For males there are very few tuxedos, a few suits, mostly jacket and shirt, sometimes a tie.  For females -  I have not seen a formal gown worn in years, usually a bit of glam and glitz and sparklies.  (written as a male and fully expect to be hammered for this).

But on Gala night, is it mandatory for a gentleman to now have to wear a jacket? From past experience a button-down dress shirt (and optional tie) were the minimums required. I can't remember ever having to bring a jacket on a HAL cruise. But then again that was back between 2012-2019.

Update:

I just checked the HAL website and was finally able to find this, with the operative word "recommend" versus "mandatory" on Dressy Nights:

image.thumb.png.962824335fde49e5997d8139dd813f20.png

Know Before You Go (hollandamerica.com)

Edited by Ken the cruiser
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

But on Gala night, is it mandatory for a gentleman to now have to wear a jacket? From past experience a button-down dress shirt (and optional tie) were the minimums required. I can't remember ever having to bring a jacket on a HAL cruise. But then again that was back between 2012-2019.

No it is not compulsory, neither is wearing a tie.  Neither is it necessary to have the collar of the shirt buttoned down.  OP is on a Med cruise (September/Nieuw Statendam) and there tends to be less shorts and Hawaiian shirts heading to the MDR.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, C 2 C said:

On both Celebrity and HAL, dress up night means a long sleeved shirt with an optional tie.

That's not me.  I dress up with a jacket to compliment my wife.

That's what I always thought. The same "minimum" rules apply on Princess cruises as well. But if some folks want to get dressed up on those nights, or any night for that matter, that's cool too. I'll even wear a tie sometimes. 😃

7 hours ago, hobgoblin said:

Thanks everyone for your advice .

,will probably not get my husband to take a tux!

Definitely NOT needed and you'll see only a very few other passengers wearing them (if any).

7 hours ago, hobgoblin said:

Thanks everyone for your advice .

,will probably not get my husband to take a tux!

Just noticed your location and would say that I have seen quite a few men wearing their 'formal' kilts

• Like 1

DW's friends have convinced her to sail HAL for the first time and I was a bit nervous. But this thread has been fun and informative. I'm looking forward to our first sailing on HAL. I tweeted the same and Holland America Line responded and said they "...can't wait to show me what I've been missing", lol.

• Like 2

On 4/4/2024 at 10:55 AM, cruisemom42 said:

Definitely NOT needed and you'll see only a very few other passengers wearing them (if any).

I agree.  Usually when my DH and I wear ours, we see less than a half dozen at the most.  We still wear wear ours on about half of our cruises and a suit and tie the other half...only see a dozen or two of those either these days.  We dress for ourselves...We're a dying breed.

HAL is a great cruise for the money.  Staff is excellent and the food is great.  The Pinnacle class ships are the only ones I would go on though - best facilities.  HAL is not good for entertainment though.  

If you can afford it, Regent is really the best overall.  But if you are on a reasonable budget, HAL is perfect.

• Like 1

On 4/4/2024 at 8:45 AM, VMax1700 said:

Just noticed your location and would say that I have seen quite a few men wearing their 'formal' kilts

I love seeing men in their formal dress, complete with kilt and great socks! 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Kay S said:

I love seeing men in their formal dress, complete with kilt and great socks! 

though I have never worn a kilt on a cruise, Every time I have worn one I was asked if I was regimental... I usually smiled and said "a gentlemen never tells."

• Like 1

Late on to this thread but thought I would weigh in. We have sailed the most on HAL so it always feels "comfortable"  when we board. Our bookings have been Neptune Suite, Signature Suite, Vista Suite and Verandah. Lately we have only booked a Verandahs for other reasons. The most enjoyable HAL cruises have been the roundtrip on the Eurodam to Hawaii, B2B Western and Eastern Mediterranean on the Nieuw Statendam, and our first HAL cruise which was Canada/NE on the Veendam. We have booked a 27-day B2B on the Rotterdam this Fall, and a 28-day B2B on the Nieuw Statendam in April 2025.

But our new preferred cruise line is MSC in Europe. We haven't cruised MSC yet from the USA but will next month in Yacht Club. We have cruised in both Yacht Club from Italy and Fantastica-Experience from Germany. I don't understand the negativity on CC for MSC. Best bang for your buck (especially Yacht Club) in my opinion.

We have tried Viking Ocean and are one-and-done. Never have seen so many "entitled" passengers aboard a cruise ship! Also have done Carnival twice but unless sailing from Baltimore/Norfolk and reasonably priced, forget it.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Sred123 said:

HAL is a great cruise for the money.  Staff is excellent and the food is great.  The Pinnacle class ships are the only ones I would go on though - best facilities.  HAL is not good for entertainment though.  

If you can afford it, Regent is really the best overall.  But if you are on a reasonable budget, HAL is perfect.

We haven't tried Regent yet, but have cruises booked at the end of the year on the Explorer and the Splendor.  I still want to give HAL a try, but maybe a bit shorter test drive than the 28 days we were considering.

Thank you, op for this post. We are relatively new to cruising with our first 2 in 2019 and to date all have been on NCL. We hate the breakaway class ships, the older jewel class are nice, smaller so fewer activities and dining options but sufficient for the right itineraries. We also really enjoyed the Viva on a transatlantic last year in Haven. That said we are ready to try other lines, not because of cuts or changes, that seems to be universal in cruising right now but to have other experiences/options. We are excited for our first HAL experience in June for Alaska. We started with this because a shorter cruise for a new to us line seemed prudent, but also the enrichment options are more present for Alaskan cruises. We are also looking at Oceania next year and maybe Cunard although my significant other is not loving the idea of jackets or ties on vacation. Viking is also a possibility for Northern Europe. This thread has offered and interesting mix of comparisons and opinion and will help in future planning.

• Like 2