Thank goodness no duck sighting

hutch1994

3 hours ago, hutch1994 said:

On the Star doing the transatlantic crossing and haven't encountered the silly duck phenomenon on board.  Hooray!!

So let me understand here. You are in the middle of an awesome cruise and you took time out to insult what some others like to do on their cruises? I bet you can find something better to comment on about your cruise. Not sure why you thought this was important enough to start a Cruise Critic thread about. 

Have the people who like the rubber duck thing ever forced you to participate? Made fun of you because they didn't? Started a Cruise Critic thread to insult you for NOT bringing rubber ducks on board? Come on. Let people do what they want on cruises. It's not hurting you, is it?

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, DrKoob said:

So let me understand here. You are in the middle of an awesome cruise and you took time out to insult what some others like to do on their cruises? I bet you can find something better to comment on about your cruise. Not sure why you thought this was important enough to start a Cruise Critic thread about. 

Have the people who like the rubber duck thing ever forced you to participate? Made fun of you because they didn't? Started a Cruise Critic thread to insult you for NOT bringing rubber ducks on board? Come on. Let people do what they want on cruises. It's not hurting you, is it?

You do you, I will do me.  Think it's a juvenile thing.  Expect better on Viking with their age specifics.

• Like 2

I also would hope that Viking guests are above that silly crap.  The day people start decorating their doors on Viking will be the day we stop sailing on Viking.  We are adults not daycare.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, hutch1994 said:

On the Star doing the transatlantic crossing and haven't encountered the silly duck phenomenon on board.  Hooray!!

Why start a thread just to make fun of something that some of your fellow cruisers enjoy?

2 hours ago, hutch1994 said:

You do you, I will do me.  Think it's a juvenile thing.  Expect better on Viking with their age specifics.

You doing you is very juvenile.

• Like 1

Seriously, you will stop cruising on Viking if you see decorated doors? How does that impact your cruise in a negative way unless a streamer hits you in the face on the way by.  While not common to see on Viking, I can't really see the offense to others. The tiny ducks are pretty innocuous as well. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, kcpvwill said:

What are these ducks? Not seen any on the cruises we’ve done.

So I did a bit of research, and it seems they are rubber ducks that some pax bring on board with their name, location, etc. tagged.  They hide the duck, and If you find the duck, you add your name, location, etc.

Maybe it's a group on the F book?  I guess, eventually, the duck travels around the world.  I'm not sure I have this right.

Edited by millybess

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Frenchberet said:

Never heard of the duck thing, had to look it up.  No sightings in our recent cruise on Saturn but there was a woman who kept taking photos with her stuffed Pikachu doll…

I saw a single gal once that had a Stanley teddy bear on a Princess cruise.... She took said bear everywhere and would feed it in the buffet and MDR. She seemed to be on the spectrum.

Oh and yes, definitely taking photos with it.

Edited by Mike07

2 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

Bring out the popcorn!  Looks like we've stumbled on a topic that people feel real strongly about at both directions - sort of like the elections.

I like duck.... In my belly!

• Like 4

Just wow! Do I think the whole duck thing is a bit silly? Yes. Would I put anything on my door? Hmm, maybe if we are traveling with a group (yes we have done that a long time ago). But I usually laugh when I see what some people have put on their doors. Sometimes they are good as a marker as to where you are on the ship (large ships - am I on the my side of the ship). But do I care? No. People have fun in their own way. Falling down drunk? Disrupting other passengers? Being rude to crew? Going to a formal dinner in bathrobes? Those are all a big no for me. Be respectful and most things are good. 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, hutch1994 said:

I will do me but it appears you want to do everyone else. Or at least to force your opinion on everyone, not just yourself. I have two problems with your stance:

1) How does it hurt you if someone decorates their door, their room or any other place that is theirs on the cruise? No public areas other than a hallway. We used to decorate our doors years ago when we were traveling with 20+ people. But that was on Celebrity and not VIkng and we wouldn't do it anymore. But we aren't offended by those that do. 

2) The real question here is not whether they should or should not have ducks or decorate doors but why you would take the time on a cruise to create a thread (which has turned into a total laugh riot) about it. Seriously, go walk around town or eat or have a drink or socialize or anything but starting a Cruise Critic thread about things that just don't matter. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, hutch1994 said:

TBH, considering I usually win the demographic contest, I'm surprised somebody from the Viking demographic would create this thread.

Ducks are cheap Chinese plastic c**p and some of them invariably end up in the ocean, which has too much cheap Chinese plastic c**p floating around in it already. But hey, if that’s your thing, go for it.  Maybe you could release some balloons off the ship while you’re at it.

• Like 2

Just now, Mike07 said:

I was waiting for somebody to mention the weather balloons.

And just to clarify for those that are not aware, they are biodegradable and the instrument package is the smallest and greenest available.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Using plastic ducks is probably a poor choice on an ocean voyage given the history behind it. It’s bad optics.

'Moby-Duck': When 28,800 Bath Toys Are Lost At Sea

https://www.npr.org/2011/03/29/134923863/moby-duck-when-28-800-bath-toys-are-lost-at-sea#:~:text='Moby-Duck'%3A When 28%2C800,Are Lost At Sea %3A NPR&text=Fresh Air-,'Moby-Duck'%3A When 28%2C800 Bath Toys Are Lost At,28%2C800 toys into the ocean.

• Like 1