Dawn passengers left “stranded” on African island

3 hours ago, SomewhereGirl said:

So the ship waited in this port?  Interesting. 

Waited about 30 minutes while docked. A bit different than over an hour at a tender port.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Tyler414 said:

Looks like there should be an update to this.   So, someone on an NCL ship had a stroke and was dumped at an African port without notifying any of her emergency contacts.  A couple days later the folks who were late to return and were refused boarding by the captain, and were left behind on the same island.  All the people stranded in Africa by NCL have all meet up and the six are helping the lady abandoned by NCL who had the stroke.

They had a major dumping of passengers in Porto Plata a year or so ago when the captain ran aground.  Kicked everyone off the ship to fend for themselves.  Seems like a pattern.

There are so many more reasons I will never step foot on another NCL ship. 

Actually this was in the original article.

58 minutes ago, schmoopie17 said:

@Tyler414asked how to get out of this thread. After your astute observation about the flaw in his post where the gangway was "down"...I assume he has already departed.

Not commenting on your post, but love your profile name.  YOU'RE Schmoopie, no YOU'RE Schmoopie!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, dmwnc1959 said:

What an excellent way of putting it. Can’t begin to tell you how many people I’ve talked to that won’t go on a cruise because they don’t want their ship to sink like Costa did in Italy. Or have my ship catch on fire like that one Carnival did the other day. Or get Norovirus like that news report said the other week. Or get abandoned on some African island like what I heard on the news last night. Or, or, or. It becomes an echo chamber of perception becoming reality. 

Yes, we know those people too.  But isn't it amazing that they don't seem to notice that we, their friends, return unscathed cruise after cruise after cruise?  How can we be SOOO lucky that we go on all these cruises for years and none of this terrible stuff ever happens to us???

People believe what they want to believe.  People also seem to find a way to do things they really want to do.  Just as well they are not increasing consumer demand.  More for us 🙂

Edited by Travelling2Some
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)

Does anyone know if the passengers have travel insurance, and if so what kind and any idea of what would be covered or not covered?

While I've not yet experiencing missing the ship (knock on wood) I've seen it happen on a few occasions myself.

On a recent voyage on the NCL Sun, I was in Montevideo, Uruguay and it was getting close to all aboard time (10 minutes before). I was traveling with my mother and the ship had my cell phone number.

Ship's security went to my room to verify I was really not on the ship and my mom was in the cabin.

Security also called me on my cell phone to find out where I was, (I was just outside the ship in the terminal using the wifi). I reboarded with a about 2 minutes to spare before the all aboard time but surprised that they actually called me before all aboard time. I was also not the last to board.

Once I got back on board, security stopped by the cabin to inform her that I was back on board. I learned that they were there when I got back to the cabin.

Safe travels,

- WYB

Edited by WYB!
  • Like 2

This story is being reported as 8 people stranded due to being late for the ship, but that was not the case. Ms. Lenkoff who suffered the medical emergency appears to have done everything correctly by going on an NCL tour and getting travel insurance. NCL's decision to disembark her on an island with very limited medical facilities is definitely questionable. I saw a video of the clinic, and it appeared medical facilities and medical personnel on the ship were likely superior to anything on land in that small island. Below is the daughter's recap of events. 

Lenkoff's daughter shares thanks

Lana thanked everyone for their caring posts about her mom. 

"Thank you all for your posts. (Regarding my previous post about my mom)," Lana wrote. "São Tomé is very primitive and doesn’t have hospitals that could treat her properly. She was on a group tour sponsored by the cruise line of a museum and collapsed and was unconscious. 

"How or who was contacted to get her to the limited medical clinic we do not know. We just know that she was left by Norwegian Cruise Line without as much as calling her emergency contacts, or leaving her with her wallet, credit cards, or travel insurance papers at the clinic or maybe a note for her to read when she came to."

When she finally regained consciousness, Lana said she didn't remember anything that happened but was helped by "good Samaritans" that they later learned were Jay and Jill Campbell. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, WYB! said:

Does anyone know if the passengers have travel insurance, and if so what kind and any idea of what would be covered or not covered?

While I've not yet experiencing missing the ship (knock on wood) I've seen it happen on a few occasions myself.

On a recent voyage on the NCL Sun, I was in Montevideo, Uruguay and it was getting close to all aboard time (10 minutes before). I was traveling with my mother and the ship had my cell phone number.

Ship's security went to my room to verify I was really not on the ship and my mom was in the cabin.

Security also called me on my cell phone to find out where I was, (I was just outside the ship in the terminal using the wifi). I reboarded with a about 2 minutes to spare before the all aboard time but surprised that they actually called me before all aboard time. I was also not the last to board.

Once I got back on board, security stopped by the cabin to inform her that I was back on board. I learned that they were there when I got back to the cabin.

Safe travels,

- WYB

They needed no travel insurance.  The article I posted said all 8 made it back to the ship and NCL reimbursed them for all travel costs getting back to the ship.

32 minutes ago, david_sobe said:

So I see all 8 passengers have rejoined the ship and NCL has reimbursed them for travel costs to the ship.  There is a happy ending after all!!

Norwegian Cruise captain refused to let eight passengers who were late reboard ship (yahoo.com)

Reading what you posted might lead some to believe that these guests are being fully reimbursed, but that is not the case. 

They missed the ship in Sao Tome. They then traveled to Gambia, but that port stop was cancelled due to the tides. Then they had to travel to Senegal where they finally boarded the ship.

NCL is only reimbursing them for the travel from Gambia to Senegal (due to the stop in Gambia being cancelled). They are not being reimbursed for anything else that they spent.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 3

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, TRLD said:

Ships measure capacity by 2 beds per cabin. 100% is when that number is reached. That is not the max capacity due to the number of 3/4 cabins. Max capacity may be 20% higher than normal capacity. Cruise lines holding companies ccl, rcl, nclh were reporting averaging about 109% capacity in 2019 prior to covid in their sec filings.

That's an excellent point.  Many people are confused, perhaps understandably, about standard operating capacity compared to actual maximum passenger capacity.  If I'm not mistaken, the Dawn's actual maximum passenger capacity is 3,000 passengers, even though the number referenced most commonly based on double occupancy is 2,340.  So, about 128% of the published capacity when sailing with maximum occupancy.

Edited by Kortehgehn
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, david_sobe said:

They needed no travel insurance.  The article I posted said all 8 made it back to the ship and NCL reimbursed them for all travel costs getting back to the ship.

Again, that is not what the article says:

“While the eight guests made arrangements to rejoin the ship in Banjul, Gambia on April 1, 2024, unfortunately the ship was unable to safely dock in the destination due to adverse weather conditions, as well as tidal restrictions that require specific timing for safe passage. While we share in our guests’ disappointment, this modification was made with great consideration for their safety and that of our crew, which is our top priority. We contacted these eight guests regarding this itinerary adjustment and provided them with authorization to rejoin the ship at Dakar, Senegal on April 2, 2024.

“Despite the series of unfortunate events outside of our control, we will be reimbursing these eight guests for their travel costs from Banjur, Gambia to Dakar, Senegal. As of this morning, all eight guests have rejoined the ship.”

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

At this point if I were ncl.  I would refund there money and fly the. 1st class where ever they want to go and have them sign a release and that they will never travel ncl ever again....

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Capitan Obvious said:

They missed the ship in Sao Tome. They then traveled to Gambia, but that port stop was cancelled due to the tides. Then they had to travel to Senegal where they finally boarded the ship.

Random question but does anyone know how long this cruise was?

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Random question but does anyone know how long this cruise was?

21 Days

20 Mar 19:00        Departing from Cape Town, South Africa
22 Mar 09:00 - 20:00        Walvis Bay, Namibia
25 Mar 07:00 - 17:00        Luanda, Angola
27 Mar 07:00 - 17:00        Santo Antonio, Principe Island
29 Mar 07:00 - 17:00        Abidjan, Ivory Coast
01 Apr 07:00 - 18:00        Banjul, Gambia
02 Apr 07:00 - 16:00        Dakar, Senegal
05 Apr 08:00 - 22:00        Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Canary Islands
06 Apr 08:00 - 17:00        Arrecife, Lanzarote, Canary Islands
08 Apr 07:00 - 17:00        Motril, Spain Granada
09 Apr 07:00 - 15:00        Alicante, Spain
10 Apr 07:00        Arriving in Barcelona, Spain

Edited by Capitan Obvious
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Sacruiser62 said:

At this point if I were ncl.  I would refund there money and fly the. 1st class where ever they want to go and have them sign a release and that they will never travel ncl ever again....

Why?  Even if they did all that, they still wouldn't get any love in the media...that part of the story wouldn't get out....except for maybe the part about not being allowed back on NCL..which would make them the bad guys all over.  It's a PR nightmare no matter what they do...

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Mike07 said:

21 or 22 days per YouTube

I figured it must be a long one.  I might have been inclined to pack up and head home but I guess they still have enough of a cruise left to stick it out.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Two Wheels Only said:

All 3 are under the same NCLH umbrella. 

World-renowned Brands

image.png

Norwegian Cruise Line

Norwegian Cruise Line has been breaking the boundaries of traditional cruising for more than 56 years.

FEEL FREE
image.png

Oceania Cruises

Oceania Cruises is the world’s leading culinary- and destination-focused cruise line.

THE FINEST CUISINE AT SEA®
image.png

Regent Seven Seas Cruises

Regent Seven Seas Cruises offers an unrivaled experience to luxury travelers with all luxuries included.

And that is concerning.

Look, I definitely appreciate and respect rules... I get the lollygagged aspect, but the passengers are in Africa. Some haven't had their medications.

I have a heart, too, even though I very much believe in following the rules. I had a HAL ship wait in Flam, Norway, for about 45 minutes because some passenger, one, was late to the ship getting back on the railroad.

3 minutes ago, Capitan Obvious said:

Again, that is not what the article says:

“While the eight guests made arrangements to rejoin the ship in Banjul, Gambia on April 1, 2024, unfortunately the ship was unable to safely dock in the destination due to adverse weather conditions, as well as tidal restrictions that require specific timing for safe passage. While we share in our guests’ disappointment, this modification was made with great consideration for their safety and that of our crew, which is our top priority. We contacted these eight guests regarding this itinerary adjustment and provided them with authorization to rejoin the ship at Dakar, Senegal on April 2, 2024.

“Despite the series of unfortunate events outside of our control, we will be reimbursing these eight guests for their travel costs from Banjur, Gambia to Dakar, Senegal. As of this morning, all eight guests have rejoined the ship.”

True or false.  Does it say the guests will be reimbursed for their travel costs?  OMG people love to fight around here.  So in reality NCL paid the people to get back on the ship?  The 8 got to another place on their own.  Seriously, that's your point you want to argue? 
I am out of this conversation.  This board is bad for mental health.  Lets fight about the dumbest things to keep the thread going.
Ready.  Set.  Go!

• Haha 2

Just now, Laszlo said:

NCL should send them a bill. Look at all the extra places they got to

Eh, still not worth it.

But, it's hard to see how this paints NCL in a positive light. Look, I get the rules..... Every passenger broke the rules.... But to leave them behind when the ship hadn't left?

4 minutes ago, Capitan Obvious said:

Reading what you posted might lead some to believe that these guests are being fully reimbursed, but that is not the case. 

NCL is only reimbursing them for the travel from Gambia to Senegal (due to the stop in Gambia being cancelled). They are not being reimbursed for anything else that they spent.

What a horrible precedent to establish regardless of the amount paid.  Dock runners who don't make the ship will from now on have their hands out.  Courts too will now recognize that a policy of reimbursement has been established and through the Reasonable Person Standard, others now have the reasonable expectation of financial payment.

1 minute ago, david_sobe said:

True or false.  Does it say the guests will be reimbursed for their travel costs?  OMG people love to fight around here.  So in reality NCL paid the people to get back on the ship?  The 8 got to another place on their own.  Seriously, that's your point you want to argue? 
I am out of this conversation.  This board is bad for mental health.  Lets fight about the dumbest things to keep the thread going.
Ready.  Set.  Go!

I never said it didn't. I said it only says they are being reimbursed for PART of thier travel (Gambia to Senegal). You're just too stubborn to realize you said they were being reimbursed for ALL of their travel and you can't admit your error.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, david_sobe said:

The posts that quoted yours just better explained what NCL actually paid. Your post was...

16 minutes ago, david_sobe said:

...which could be misleading if people didn't read the article. 

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, deckguy said:

What a horrible precedent to establish regardless of the amount paid.  Dock runners who don't make the ship will from now on have their hands out.  Courts too will now recognize that a policy of reimbursement has been established and through the Reasonable Person Standard, others now have the reasonable expectation of financial payment.

I get the precedent. I get rules.

But what about the heart of the hospitality industry? Is everything based upon what NCL's general counsel says?