American Heritage Cruises Gone for 2025

moodyb1

We were booked for an American Heritage Cruise for June 24 - July 4, 2025. However, we received a notice from Princess last week that there was an itinerary change. We would no longer be stopping in Norfolk,VA and Charleston, SC, two ports that my husband and I really wanted to visit. Instead, Princess added more ports in Canada and relabeled the cruise "New England and Canada." Since we had already been to the added ports in Canada, we were no longer interested in this cruise, so we decided to cancel the cruise. 

My understanding is that Norfolk and Charleston no longer wanted large cruise ships stopping at their ports. If anyone has further information about this issue, please respond. 

The 2024 American Heritage cruises, at least the ones in June, are still going.

We are very disappointed.

Arlene

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, skynight said:

This may have something to do with the announcement scheduled for this coming Friday. There could be other changes.

What announcement are you referring to?

22 minutes ago, moodyb1 said:

We were booked for an American Heritage Cruise for June 24 - July 4, 2025. However, we received a notice from Princess last week that there was an itinerary change. We would no longer be stopping in Norfolk,VA and Charleston, SC, two ports that my husband and I really wanted to visit. Instead, Princess added more ports in Canada and relabeled the cruise "New England and Canada." Since we had already been to the added ports in Canada, we were no longer interested in this cruise, so we decided to cancel the cruise. 

My understanding is that Norfolk and Charleston no longer wanted large cruise ships stopping at their ports. If anyone has further information about this issue, please respond. 

The 2024 American Heritage cruises, at least the ones in June, are still going.

We are very disappointed.

Arlene

There seem to be several east coast ports which are not wanting large cruise ship recently

Norfolk is currently subbing for Baltimore due to the bridge collapse. I know Charleston doesn't want ships, period. Carnival used to home port from there, but once the current contract is over, that's it.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, moodyb1 said:

My understanding is that Norfolk and Charleston no longer wanted large cruise ships stopping at their ports. 

I don't know anything about American Heritage cruises, but Charleston has been a home port for the Carnival Sunshine doing 4 and 5 day "booze cruises" to the Bahamas and back.  American Spirit also does small ship cruises into the Carolina low country out of the Holy City.  

Edited by DCThunder

Bar Harbor Maine limits cruise passenger to 1,000 per day and Key West Florida to 1,500. These effectively takes major cruise lines out of the picture

I know Charleston doesn't want any ships boarding there, but I was under the impression (from what I remember reading) that day stops were still welcome.
And Norfolk suddenly became 'Baltimore South' so it's possible they no longer have room for visiting ships.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, ChrysFox said:

And Norfolk suddenly became 'Baltimore South' so it's possible they no longer have room for visiting ships.

Well, and Norfolk does have the largest naval base in the world...

Due to Baltimore not being able to take ships - I heard Norfolk is taking them. My guess is that is the reason why. The demise of the Baltimore bridge is most likely the reason.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DCThunder said:

Well, and Norfolk does have the largest naval base in the world...

The cruise ship pier/building in Norfolk is a very nice building. They sort of had the idea "if they build it, ships will come". It didn't necessarily work out that way. I did like my stop in Norfolk on a cruise though. Plus, the locals all came out to greet us. Nice community.

1 hour ago, memoak said:

Bar Harbor Maine limits cruise passenger to 1,000 per day and Key West Florida to 1,500. These effectively takes major cruise lines out of the picture

Though I have a friend who is scheduled on the Emerald Princess this summer and the itinerary switched from Portland, Maine to Bar Harbor. So they are taking ships this summer.

3 minutes ago, Coral said:

Though I have a friend who is scheduled on the Emerald Princess this summer and the itinerary switched from Portland, Maine to Bar Harbor. So they are taking ships this summer.

That’s funny I had one change from Bar Harbor to Portland 

1 minute ago, Ellipooh said:

The collapse of the Key Bridge doesn’t really explain why 2025 cruises are being rerouted but not 2024 cruises 

You are right. I didn't realize it was 2025. Though it would surprise me if there is a bridge there in 2025. It is going to take awhile though I don't think they know anything yet.

13 minutes ago, memoak said:

That’s funny I had one change from Bar Harbor to Portland 

My friends booked it the day it moved from Portland to Bar Harbor (less than a month ago). They were looking forward to Portland.

1 minute ago, Coral said:

My friends booked it the day it moved from Portland to Bar Harbor (less than a month ago). They were looking forward to Portland.

Our cruises are on the Majestic. I can’t really remember if it was originally Nbar Habor or not May 2025

4 minutes ago, Coral said:

You are right. I didn't realize it was 2025. Though it would surprise me if there is a bridge there in 2025. It is going to take awhile though I don't think they know anything yet.

There won’t be a bridge till probably 2027 at best but the port should be open 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, moodyb1 said:

I would really be surprised if Norfolk didn't want the cruise ships. They built a huge cruise terminal that has barely been used. I think Carnival used it some. They really wanted the ships to come.

Maybe a local could shed some light onto this. I can see Charleston limiting ships. Though I was there on the Crown several years ago. It was a great port.

3 minutes ago, Coral said:

I would really be surprised if Norfolk didn't want the cruise ships. They built a huge cruise terminal that has barely been used. I think Carnival used it some. They really wanted the ships to come.

Maybe a local could shed some light onto this. I can see Charleston limiting ships. Though I was there on the Crown several years ago. It was a great port.

I had a cruise booked that I changed where Charleston was changed out for Norfolk. That kind of sealed the deal and we switched.to b2b Boston to Quebec 

3 hours ago, memoak said:

Lol. Key West most certainly does NOT limit cruise passengers to 1500 a day. 

There were some ballot measures passed 4 years ago, that were overturned in less than a year, and the Gov (DeSantis) signing a law in 2021 banning local governance from limiting marine commerce. 

And in fact, KW is currently contemplating expanding its cruise pier and space, making for more cruise passengers, not less. And yes, there's also the other side of the question working to not expand and in fact try to limit again while working around the ban by the state government on limiting marine commerce... 

Sailed on Apex there last spring, quite a bit more than 1500 passengers on that ship! 

• Like 1