Difference between a suite vs. a mini suite with Premier

CPs4591

Wow, I'm an experienced Princess Cruiser and I can see how all those Premium, Reserve, gobbledygook gets a newbie confused. Shortly before and after final payment date, check several times a day for a suite to become available. Dont depend on your TA to do this!  If one does, grab it or notify your TA to grab it. Don't wait to bid on an upgrade. Anything you can bid for on  an upgrade, you can also pay for it and get what you want - IF IT IS AVAILABLE. Offen the bidding price is the same as paying the full price for a sure thing.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

OK sorry, as a newbie it’s all confusing? We got a mini-suite reserve collection, D517 I think.  We added the Premier package on top. 

Edited by CPs4591
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

That is a RESERVE Mini-Suite, which means it comes with the dining perk.

NO cabins come with the PLUS or PREMIER bundle of drink package, WIFI, Gratuities, etc.

That RESERVE category is mostly that dining perk.

If you have not added PLUS or PREMIER bundle (which you should if you drink any amount of coffee drinks, alcoholic drinks, etc..)  you would need to do that.

If you want to trade off that Reserve dining perk for a nicer 1/2 covered balcony,  call and see what the total price would be to re-book one of the Mini-Suites on deck 10.

Hopefully you know what to do now!

You can always move to a suite, if one comes available soon...  Or bid on a suite.

Suites give you things like a mini-bar, special breakfast in one of the restaurants. (no Buffet or MDR... much nicer), laundry.

If you do get into a Suite, you would STILL need to add either the PLUS or PREMIER bundle package. If you do not go ahead and add a package, all of the drinks, gratuities, WIFI, etc...  are a'la carte,  Pay as you go.

Here is a link to everything included in each of these packages:

https://www.princess.com/en-us/cruise-deals-promotions/plus-premier-cruise-packages

Edited by Wishing on a star

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Wishing on a star said:

That is a RESERVE Mini-Suite, which means it comes with the dining perk.

NO cabins come with the PLUS or PREMIER bundle of drink package, WIFI, Gratuities, etc.

That RESERVE category is mostly that dining perk.

If you have not added PLUS or PREMIER bundle (which you should if you drink any amount of coffee drinks, alcoholic drinks, etc..)  you would need to do that.

If you want to trade off that Reserve dining perk for a nicer 1/2 covered balcony,  call and see what the total price would be to re-book one of the Mini-Suites on deck 10.

Hopefully you know what to do now!

You can always move to a suite, if one comes available soon...  Or bid on a suite.

Suites give you things like a mini-bar, special breakfast in one of the restaurants. (no Buffet or MDR... much nicer), laundry.

If you do get into a Suite, you would STILL need to add either the PLUS or PREMIER bundle package. If you do not go ahead and add a package, all of the drinks, gratuities, WIFI, etc...  are a'la carte,  Pay as you go.

Here is a link to everything included in each of these packages:

https://www.princess.com/en-us/cruise-deals-promotions/plus-premier-cruise-packages

Thanks.  I am double checking with our TA but I think we booked this room which is a RESERVE and added the PREMIER bundle package.  Due to the fact these are milestone dates for us and also due to some recent health issues that may restrict our very active travel in the future we are going back to trying cruising as it may be very doable for us as health issues evolve.  On this particular trip, saving money isn’t the goal as much as having a very special and wonderful time together.  And maximizing more private time as I am on immunosuppressants.  We picked this because the Canal is bucket list, it’s a smaller ship and lots of sea days where we can sit on the balcony and chill, watch the sea.  We’re still really as active as possible and hope that cruising may be in our future with these issues.  Thus really want a suite with a nice balcony and all the frills.
I will also start checking for suite openings myself thanks to all of you.  If one comes up do I need to ask my TA to make the switch or can I do it myself?  I’m sorry maybe for some this is all second nature but for a newbie it’s a bit confusing with the nomenclature!  THANK ALL OF YOU.

Edited by CPs4591

Posted (edited)

If you are happy with your TA, let them handle all of this.

Just on the chance that you see a Suite before Final Payment, you would want to move right away to try and get it.   So if you can't get in touch with your TA, maybe they work for a larger agency that offers customer service thru their main phone number.

I do not live the Suite Life, and I don't know, do they take Guarantee bookings on Suites?

If so, one could come open, but you might never see it, as Suites would still be showing Guarantee or Sold Out?

I have heard of people bidding to move up to a Suite, and being successful.

It does happen.

• Like 1

Thank you for all of your added clarifications @CPs4591.

So here are a few more "options". 

Have you made final payment?

Is your deposit refundable?

Have you looked at maybe cruising on a different ship/different time that may have a suite open?

Sometimes, one can be placed on a waitlist.  Other times, that option is not available.  There is no guaranteed Suites.  Since you booked with a TA, you will have to have your TA make any changes.  BUT...if a suite becomes available (say on a weekend or late at night, see if you can snag it immediately (be careful of fine prints).  Do NOT place a deposit.  Just a hold.  Then. your TA will have to find a way to transfer your current booking to the suite you found.  I know, it's more complicated than that.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, CPs4591 said:

Thanks.  I am double checking with our TA but I think we booked this room which is a RESERVE and added the PREMIER bundle package.  Due to the fact these are milestone dates for us and also due to some recent health issues that may restrict our very active travel in the future we are going back to trying cruising as it may be very doable for us as health issues evolve.  On this particular trip, saving money isn’t the goal as much as having a very special and wonderful time together.  And maximizing more private time as I am on immunosuppressants.  We picked this because the Canal is bucket list, it’s a smaller ship and lots of sea days where we can sit on the balcony and chill, watch the sea.  We’re still really as active as possible and hope that cruising may be in our future with these issues.  Thus really want a suite with a nice balcony and all the frills.
I will also start checking for suite openings myself thanks to all of you.  If one comes up do I need to ask my TA to make the switch or can I do it myself?  I’m sorry maybe for some this is all second nature but for a newbie it’s a bit confusing with the nomenclature!  THANK ALL OF YOU.

I am in Reserve JR Suite, Premier Package, same as you are.  Can't wait for December!  Be sure to book Breakfast & Dinner on your Balcony, my father loved this on Caribbean Princess!  Remember, you get two Comped Specialty Dinners, Unlimited Room Service, all Gratuities, Contest drawings, Specialty Deserts, & the Best Dining Room Experience possible, with Princess. Both of us, should get Princess's A game; the best they can possibly provide!  For $11,500 I sure hope they do!!  One quick tip: my agent is giving us $660 onboard credit, you can add another $250 = $910 by buying, 100 shares Carnival Stock.  That's around $2,200 or so.

Edited by gkbiiii
  • Like 1

The correct name for these cabins are "Reserve Collection Mini-suites".  They are not in a FULL Suite Category.

A premium stateroom category featuring our best located Mini-Suite staterooms, as well as the great amenities found in all Mini-Suites — plus premier dining benefits and luxurious perks. Each night, enjoy Reserve Dining, an exclusive dining area featuring expedited seating with no wait, expanded menu options, dedicated wait staff and tableside preparations. Other amenities include priority embarkation and disembarkation, a complimentary one-time wine set-up and so much more^

^Includes one 750 mL bottle of wine on embarkation day.

Princess needs to rethink the terminology they use.  I apologize for being such a stickler about labels.  I am just as guilty as others for sometimes posting inaccurate information.  Blame it on the days when I made sure my children knew the difference between Sushi and Sashimi (very long story).

• Like 2

I know the OP is concerned about an uncovered balcony, but the balcony will be in shade about half the day. What half of the day depends on the direction the ship is sailing and side of the ship the cabin is on.

• Like 1

I would agree with the suggestion to try to move to the mini suites on deck 10; we had C722 for Alaska and it was perfect.   I would keep the Premier package for the specialty dining etc.  I have not had a Reserve mini with the dedicated dining area, but the extra specialty dining could make up for that.   Love the Coral and I don't think you will find the main dining room to be crowded on a PC cruise.  Also, The price savings between regular mini and Reserve location could pay for extra specialty dining.      

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Yes,  very confusing when it comes to how all of this could be taken wrong, with similar terminology!

They call this a 'premier stateroom',  there is also the Premier Bundle/Package...  And, is the Premier drink package (not bundled) still available...   

I agree with the post above...  I might want to move (cancel and re-book) to a non-Reserve mini on deck 10.  Book with the Premier bundle...  which gives you the upcharge dining options.  And take full advantage of that.    

Also, some more advice to a returning-newbie...  be proactive when you board... or arrive to the MDR early, and make sure you get a good table, and request the same table/station for the same time every evening.  As long as you dine before the 7:00 - 7:30 busy time, you might find that the waiting will be minimal.  And, it can be nice if the waitstaff are familiar with you.

You will have a wonderful cruise, even if you do not get a full suite!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 4/2/2024 at 7:18 PM, Paula_MacFan said:

The Suite benefits link seems to be missing some things I frequently see being mentioned.  Bar setup and free laundry come immediately to mind.  Do you know of a comprehensive list anywhere?

Edited by Mark_K

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, knbcruisers said:

I would agree with the suggestion to try to move to the mini suites on deck 10; we had C722 for Alaska and it was perfect.   I would keep the Premier package for the specialty dining etc.  I have not had a Reserve mini with the dedicated dining area, but the extra specialty dining could make up for that.   Love the Coral and I don't think you will find the main dining room to be crowded on a PC cruise.  Also, The price savings between regular mini and Reserve location could pay for extra specialty dining.      

2 specialty dinners on a 16 day cruise does not make up for a lot in my opinion. The Coral is a very popular ship for Panama and there will be lines at 4:45 for people who just have to eat early. You may get some gratuity charges on the amount of any drink over your limit. We cruise in full suites and love the Reserve dining area we have never waited mor than a few minutes for a table. Also be aware the only casual dining areas on the Coral are pop ups unless something has changed 

Edited by memoak
  • Like 1