Difference between a suite vs. a mini suite with Premier

CPs4591

Sorry semi-newbie here.  We’re booked in Fall in a mini suite with premier (special milestones trip).  Final payment isn’t due yet.  If either a suite opens up after the final payment date or we can bid on one, what would be the difference in a suite without premier vs our current mini suite with premier?  I’ve tried to sort through but it seems like multiple internet devices is the only major one.  What am I missing?  We’d like to go for a suite but all were booked.  It’s a special trip.  TIA

Premier fare is available to any passenger in any cabin category. A full suite has it's own benefits that are not related to the premier. One does not receive premier fare benefits just by being in a full suite. Look up full suite benefits and premier fare benefits on the web.

• Like 1

Plus and Premier packages have nothing to do with the class of cabins. The packages allow for drinks Wi-Fi gratuities casual meals etc. Suite benefits have to do with Suite Breakfast, free laundry free embarkation specialty dinner and fee mini bar. They are totally separate things

• Like 1

Ok, thanks.  So the suite you get some benefits but a suite without premiere doesn’t include gratuities, wifi, the $20 drinks it sounds like.  Thanks, the only reason we’re looking at this is because we got the last premier mini suite and the balcony is uncovered.  So we were thinking of doing a suite, either if one opens or if we can bid.  But we definitely want the premiere benefits of the gratuities, WiFi and drinks.  So I guess I will stay put.  Thanks

4 minutes ago, CPs4591 said:

Ok, thanks.  So the suite you get some benefits but a suite without premiere doesn’t include gratuities, wifi, the $20 drinks it sounds like.  Thanks, the only reason we’re looking at this is because we got the last premier mini suite and the balcony is uncovered.  So we were thinking of doing a suite, either if one opens or if we can bid.  But we definitely want the premiere benefits of the gratuities, WiFi and drinks.  So I guess I will stay put.  Thanks

We sail in full suites with the plus package

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, CPs4591 said:

I am confused.  Welcome to Cruise Critic, but I think you may have confused a mini-suite/Reserved Collection Mini-Suite/Full Suite.  On top of this, a Plus or Premier Beverage Package is independent of your stateroom category.  Mini-suites are often confused with FULL suites because of the misnamed category by Princess.

I apologize in advance if I am trying to simplify your concerns.  Which ship are you booked on?  I am not familiar with Royal Class ships and don't know if there are "Premier Mini-Suites" (my mind recalls maybe Premium cabins???)

Mini-Suite - a balcony cabin with an addition sofa and television.

Reserved Collection Mini-Suite - a mini-suite in a prime location (usually midship.  Also includes dining in Reserve Collection MDR

Full Suites - comes with full amenities/Reserve Collection MDR/Specialty Breakfast/2 bottles of water daily/free laundry/complimentary minibar/concierge services or concierge lounge on Royal Class Ships.

There are two popular beverage packages that include wifi/crew appreciation/alcoholic beverages/unlimited non-alcoholic drinks.  Plus and Premier.  These are stand alone and are NOT offered with any particular stateroom category.  Any passenger may elect to purchase Plus or Premier.

I hope this helps define your inquiry.  Enjoy your cruise.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Yes, you need to make sure you understand...  It could be confusing!!!

You can get a Reserve collection mini-suite -  And that gives you dining in the separate Reserve area.  

I think you are sailing on the Coral Princess?  On the new Sun Princess, full Suites are 'Signature Suites'.   They come with access to the Signature Lounge, the Signature area of the Sanctuary, and other benefits.

One small thing to note is that Suite guests. (full Suites) get earlier Priority boarding.  This would allow you to go immediately up to the Sanctuary and find availability, in case the loungers are all sold out.

Neither suites. (either mini or full)  come with the WIFI, Drink Package, Gratuities...   You would have to add the Plus or the Premier Package, no matter what type/level of stateroom you reserve.

If you have a RESERVE mini-suite, and are not sure you just have to have the Reserve Dining, then you can switch to any regular mini-suite, if you can find one available that has a better balcony.  

It sounds like you know you want to add the Premier Package, no matter what level of cabin you want.

Edited by Wishing on a star

34 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

There are two popular beverage packages that include wifi/crew appreciation/alcoholic beverages/unlimited non-alcoholic drinks.  Plus and Premier.  These are stand alone and are NOT offered with any particular stateroom category.  Any passenger may elect to purchase Plus or Premier.

To clarify - the beverage packages include nothing but the beverages covered by whichever package. There's 4 beverage packages - Classic Soda, Zero Proof, Plus and Premier beverage packages.

The bundled Cruise Packages, ie Plus or Premier Cruise Package, are named after the beverage package included in the bundle, along with WiFi, crew appreciation, medallion shipping, room service delivery, Ocean Now activation, premium desserts, exercise classes, casual dining, specialty dining, etc.    

One buying the Premier Beverage Package wouldn't have any dining or WiFi or whatnot.. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

There are two popular beverage packages that include wifi/crew appreciation/alcoholic beverages/unlimited non-alcoholic drinks.  Plus and Premier.

This is why I made that statement.  I have been corrected many times for not clarifying that there is a "bundled" (PLUS/Premier) and other packages.  

And others wonder why Princess doesn't offer "MORE" options.  It's already confusing with just these options.  Can you imagine throwing in a "pick your own" package (I just want: coffee, or 1 or 2 cocktails, or I don't drink but want wifi and crew appreciation).  

10 minutes ago, reedprincess said:

To clarify - the beverage packages include nothing but the beverages covered by whichever package. There's 4 beverage packages - Classic Soda, Zero Proof, Plus and Premier beverage packages.

The bundled Cruise Packages, ie Plus or Premier Cruise Package, are named after the beverage package included in the bundle, along with WiFi, crew appreciation, medallion shipping, room service delivery, Ocean Now activation, premium desserts, exercise classes, casual dining, specialty dining, etc.    

One buying the Premier Beverage Package wouldn't have any dining or WiFi or whatnot.. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

This is why I made that statement.  I have been corrected many times for not clarifying that there is a "bundled" (PLUS/Premier) and other packages.  

And others wonder why Princess doesn't offer "MORE" options.  It's already confusing with just these options.  Can you imagine throwing in a "pick your own" package (I just want: coffee, or 1 or 2 cocktails, or I don't drink but want wifi and crew appreciation).  

So, why not call them what Princess actually does call them, rather than mislead with saying the beverage packages include WiFi, etc? 

The bundled Cruise Packages are just that, the bundles. And that's what Princess calls them on the website. The beverage packages aren't bundles... They're solely beverages.  

1 hour ago, Hobby3333 said:

How does the complementary laundry work on the Sun Princess when you stay in a Signature Suite?

Same as it does on every other ship.

There will be laundry lists in your cabin along with laundry bags. Fill out the slip, out clothes in bag and give to your room steward. You can have clothes laundered, professional cleaning or just pressed .. 

1 minute ago, reedprincess said:

Same as it does on every other ship.

There will be laundry lists in your cabin along with laundry bags. Fill out the slip, out clothes in bag and give to your room steward. You can have clothes laundered, professional cleaning or just pressed .. 

And suite passengers' laundry gets priority and is returned within 24 hours.   Elites also have a free laundry benefit but that can take 2 to 3 days or sometimes more depending upon how many elites are on board.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, capriccio said:

And suite passengers' laundry gets priority and is returned within 24 hours.   Elites also have a free laundry benefit but that can take 2 to 3 days or sometimes more depending upon how many elites are on board.

Good description.  Here are a few more "details" for Suite passengers.

Be sure to label in big letters....EXPRESS (and check the box in the right hand corner).

I generally hand the bag to my steward the night before or place it on the bed in time for turn down service.  It needs to be in laundry by 9 AM to be returned the same day after dinner.  I have chased my steward down in the morning or left it by the door before 8:30 AM.  Once he didn't turn it in on time and on another he placed it in the regular bin.  Most often, it was returned in a timely manner.  

Others have said to take a photo of the chit and/or laundry pieces.  I have never done this and have always gotten everything back.

You can send things out to be laundered or just for pressing.  Princess no longer has "dry cleaning" and I was told that their chemical cleaning was no longer available.  

I always ask for extra laundry bags and tend to send out a few items every few days.  I never send out laundry the day before embarkation (packing day).  That seems rather risky for me.

Edited by cr8tiv1

11 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Good description.  Here are a few more "details" for Suite passengers.

Be sure to label in big letters....EXPRESS (and check the box in the right hand corner).

I generally hand the bag to my steward the night before or place it on the bed in time for turn down service.  It needs to be in laundry by 9 AM to be returned the same day after dinner.  I have chased my steward down in the morning or left it by the door before 8:30 AM.  Once he didn't turn it in on time and on another he placed it in the regular bin.  Most often, it was returned in a timely manner.  

Others have said to take a photo of the chit and/or laundry pieces.  I have never done this and have always gotten everything back.

You can send things out to be laundered or just for pressing.  Princess no longer has "dry cleaning" and I was told that their chemical cleaning was no longer available.  

I always ask for extra laundry bags and tend to send out a few items every few days.  I never send out laundry the day before embarkation (packing day).  That seems rather risky for me.

Last time I looked there were 2 options to check wash or clean. We usually separate them into 2 bags. We never need it back in 1 day so timing is not a big deal

17 hours ago, Wishing on a star said:

Yes, you need to make sure you understand...  It could be confusing!!!

You can get a Reserve collection mini-suite -  And that gives you dining in the separate Reserve area.  

I think you are sailing on the Coral Princess?  On the new Sun Princess, full Suites are 'Signature Suites'.   They come with access to the Signature Lounge, the Signature area of the Sanctuary, and other benefits.

One small thing to note is that Suite guests. (full Suites) get earlier Priority boarding.  This would allow you to go immediately up to the Sanctuary and find availability, in case the loungers are all sold out.

Neither suites. (either mini or full)  come with the WIFI, Drink Package, Gratuities...   You would have to add the Plus or the Premier Package, no matter what type/level of stateroom you reserve.

If you have a RESERVE mini-suite, and are not sure you just have to have the Reserve Dining, then you can switch to any regular mini-suite, if you can find one available that has a better balcony.  

It sounds like you know you want to add the Premier Package, no matter what level of cabin you want.

Thanks this is all really helpful.  We haven’t been on a ship like this in over 20 years and only 3 cruises total.

yes we bought the premier package and we got a mini suite in a nice mid ship location.  It was the last one so our TA booked.  However at that point didn’t realize the balcony was uncovered.  Not liking that.  Yes this is the Coral.  For us, the goal was two milestone birthdays and the dates cover both.  However our TA has pointed out that this also happens to be over Thanksgiving which we didn’t particularly think of, lol, since our focus was on our birthdays and it is a longer cruise.  
So she has said pretty much all the suites are sold out.  But she will waitlist us or whatever but I guess since we’re pretty much newbies that puts us down on the totem pole.  Final payment isn’t due until August.  I guess from what I have been reading after that they open bids -maybe -for upgrades.  I assume since we bought and most definitely want the Premiere package that the bid is just for the room itself and has nothing to do with our Premiere package, right?  Really we would be fine with our min suite as is except the balcony is completely uncovered.  
anyway thanks for all the information.  I don’t really understand anything about this Sanctuary stuff except it sounds like some sort of Kentucky derby when you get on the ship but I will read more on that before I ask any more newbie questions on that.

thanks, you all have been really helpful!

40 minutes ago, CPs4591 said:

Thanks this is all really helpful.  We haven’t been on a ship like this in over 20 years and only 3 cruises total.

yes we bought the premier package and we got a mini suite in a nice mid ship location.  It was the last one so our TA booked.  However at that point didn’t realize the balcony was uncovered.  Not liking that.  Yes this is the Coral.  For us, the goal was two milestone birthdays and the dates cover both.  However our TA has pointed out that this also happens to be over Thanksgiving which we didn’t particularly think of, lol, since our focus was on our birthdays and it is a longer cruise.  
So she has said pretty much all the suites are sold out.  But she will waitlist us or whatever but I guess since we’re pretty much newbies that puts us down on the totem pole.  Final payment isn’t due until August.  I guess from what I have been reading after that they open bids -maybe -for upgrades.  I assume since we bought and most definitely want the Premiere package that the bid is just for the room itself and has nothing to do with our Premiere package, right?  Really we would be fine with our min suite as is except the balcony is completely uncovered.  
anyway thanks for all the information.  I don’t really understand anything about this Sanctuary stuff except it sounds like some sort of Kentucky derby when you get on the ship but I will read more on that before I ask any more newbie questions on that.

thanks, you all have been really helpful!

The plus and premier packages have nothing to do with what cabin class you are in. They can be added to any booking

1 hour ago, CPs4591 said:

27 minutes ago, memoak said:

The plus and premier packages have nothing to do with what cabin class you are in. They can be added to any booking

If you bid and win your bid, then you will keep the same package (Standard, Plus, or Premier) that you had on your old cabin before the bid.

• Like 1

Forgive me if I have missed something and this is not correct !

I believe you have a Reserve Minisuite booked.  And, these are pretty much sold out.

If you wanted a nice sized balcony that is half-covered, and if the Reserve dining is not absolutely necessary, there are some non-reserve Minisuites on deck 10.

58 minutes ago, Wishing on a star said:

Forgive me if I have missed something and this is not correct !

I believe you have a Reserve Minisuite booked.  And, these are pretty much sold out.

If you wanted a nice sized balcony that is half-covered, and if the Reserve dining is not absolutely necessary, there are some non-reserve Minisuites on deck 10.

We def want the Reserve package.  Last year we did Windstar in Tahiti and with our package there just having everything covered was great, never had to think about anything.  We want the same here.  Thanks.  Maybe we will get lucky and can keep Reserve and bid on a suite to go with it.  One can hope!  Thanks.

1 minute ago, CPs4591 said:

We def want the Reserve package.  Last year we did Windstar in Tahiti and with our package there just having everything covered was great, never had to think about anything.  We want the same here.  Thanks.  Maybe we will get lucky and can keep Reserve and bid on a suite to go with it.  One can hope!  Thanks.

What are you calling a Reserve package there is no such animal. Are you referring to Plus or Premier packages anyone in any cabin can have one of them

There still seems to be some confusion... RESERVE is not a package...  There are some Mini-suites that come with the perk of what we call RESERVE dining.  Which is a separate area of the Main Dining Room.  Should be no waiting (or very very little) and one additional menu option.

The additional bundles are PLUS and PREMIER.  (which have nothing to do with the RESERVE perk)  These are the bundles with the drink packages, WIFI, Gratuities, etc...  You add these separately to any booking, any cabin type.  Seems like you have added Premier?

You might currently have a RESERVE Mini-Suite, that has the dining perk.

These seem to be heavily sold, with none showing as available to select.  Guarantee only.

You can check the Deck Plans, or give us your cabin number, and we would be able to see.

These are a separate category code, and are color coded on the deck plans, and are located in all different areas.

NOTE:  If you currently have a RESERVE Mini-Suite, and would trade off the Reserve Dining perk, then I believe that there might be available regular Mini-Suites. (exact same cabin interior as any Mini) available on Deck 10.   These will have a nice sized balcony that is half-covered.

If you currently have a regular Mini-Suite, then you can simply request to move to one of the available one's on Deck 10.

Here is a video of a Mini on Deck 10.

17 minutes ago, CPs4591 said:

I am not sure what Windstar had to offer you in a "Reserve Package".  The top of the line in amenities ("having everything covered") would only be if you were able to book a FULL suite WITH a Premier Beverage Package.  

On the Coral, in a Reserved Collection Mini-Suite, you would still need to do your own laundry or pay by the piece.  She does not have a concierge lounge, but a full suite would have access to a concierge through Customer Service.  If these "amenities" are not important to you, then you will be fine in a Reserve Collection Mini-suite.  

Bidding for a suite has it's drawbacks.  You will be assigned (without a chance to decline) a stateroom by Princess.....any where on the ship. If you are a risk taker, then this might be a fun upgrade.  Good Luck.