New England/Canada cruise 9/14

Hi y'all!  I am trying to get some info about NY and can't find the answers to my questions using the search feature. So I will just ask here😇 We are flying into LaGuardia a day early, Friday. We are trying to decided on whether to buy Princess round trip transfers..getting a hotel near the airport with free airport shuttle and go back to the airport the next day (we do that in Seattle) or get a hotel near the port (although I don't know what the name of the port is yet) and take a taxi to the port and just get the Princess transfer to get back to the airport after the cruise. Any suggestions will be sincerely appreciated. None of my group of 4 have been to NY. Thanks in advance!

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, ImperialLady said:

(although I don't know what the name of the port is yet) 

Enchanted Princess, it will be Brooklyn Cruise Terminal.

https://www.brooklyncruiseguide.com/cruise-calendar.html

1 hour ago, ImperialLady said:

or get a hotel near the port

That's not a good idea for this port.

LGA airport hotel + Princess transfer (or an Uber) is the best option if you don't plan sightseeing Manhattan before the cruise.

If you travel with 4 people, a (large) taxi or Uber is way less expensive than booking 4 Princess transfers.

Edited by EDVM96
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Do not stay near Brooklyn pier/Red Hook. Bad area, nothing there. I think there is a Marriott there but there is nothing there to see tourist wise.

I would spend the night in Manhattan and see the city before your cruise. You can then arrange a car service to the pier.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 1

I just did this cruise (twice) in 2023.  

Agree:  Do not book a hotel in Brooklyn

Agree:  Book a transfer from cruise terminal to airport or hire a car service for 4 (probably cheaper or at least equal).

You haven't mentioned if you have been to NYC before.  You don't mention how much luggage you will all have.  Taxi's "will" fit 4 (3 in the back 1 in the front) but they are not thrilled to do that.  Plus the trunk may not fit all of your luggage.

One day in NYC really isn't enough to enjoy the city.  There is so much to see and do, although it can get expensive.

A possible scenario:

Fly in a few days early.  Stayed in Manhattan (NYC).  Take a car service to Red Hook Pier (at the south end of Manhattan/below Wall Street).  Take the Red Hook Ferry from Manhattan to the cruise terminal.  Easy walk from Ferry Terminal to Cruise Terminal.  Or use a car service to take you from Manhattan to Red Hook ($$$).

I did google how much a taxi would be from Red Hook to NYC.  Decided the ferry was much more reasonable.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

You haven't mentioned if you have been to NYC before.  You don't mention how much luggage you will all have.  Taxi's "will" fit 4 (3 in the back 1 in the front) but they are not thrilled to do that.  Plus the trunk may not fit all of your luggage.

They mentioned no one in their group has been to NY before.

• Like 1

It depends on when your flight arrives, and how much time you have. One evening in Manhattan is a really short amount of time with high cost for the hotel, transport, and meals. No matter what you select it will not be inexpensive.

I would think that the least expensive would be a hotel near the airport with a taxi, uber or some other car service to the pier the next day. The hotel concierge most likely could arrange something.

If you decide to spend the evening in Manhattan then expect high costs to get there from the airport, to get from the hotel to Brooklyn, as well as the hotel and meal costs.

I would not take the Princess transfer to the pier on boarding day. Way easier and probably no significant extra costs for 4 to take private transport from the hotel to the pier.

I would suggest a Princess transfer on disembarkation from the pier to the airport.   

• Like 1

How able-bodied are the people in your group and how much luggage will you have? What time are your flights getting in and what are you hoping to accomplish in NYC besides sleeping and getting to the terminal?

• Like 2

Thank you to everyone...we only have one afternoon in NY. A dear friend contacted me to tell me her son volunteered to take us sight seeing. He has a van and my friend will be able to go with us. We are going to book a less expensive hotel near the airport with an airport shuttle to offset the cost of the Princess transfers and to get us back to the airport on the 14th to get the transfer to the port. We know the Princess transfer is expensive but if any traffic problems should appear we know the ship will not leave without the transfer people. (had it happen) I wish we had more time in NY but both my husband and son were not able to take more time off. Again thank all of you so much.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1