QM2 fire

watsonbeau

13 minutes ago, ChrisMV said:

It would have been nice for everyone not to have been woken up at 6am I guess, but it sounds like from what others are saying they were just following protocol.  

From what was said in earlier posts, it is protocol to make a ship wide announcement when a fire is discovered, clearly by your posts that didn't happen ship wide until after the event.

That's was the point.

1 hour ago, S1971 said:

From what was said in earlier posts, it is protocol to make a ship wide announcement when a fire is discovered, clearly by your posts that didn't happen ship wide until after the event.

That's was the point.

Well sometimes I have been out and about at 0600 for example Stockholm arrival through the islands, fiord passage etc and/or early morning swim. I daresay some pax were up and about and would have heard the corridor announcement  so an all ship announcement was correct as majortom10 states.

In any case we don't have the responsibility of the safety of the ship and all on. boarrd. The captain does.

In a different type of incident on QV off the NC we were in the theatre  when a loud noise was heard creating a certain amount of panic amongst  some. I thought correctly that bow thrusters  were being used.

The OOW had sighted was  believed to be a body but reached turned out to be a large bulk of timber. The ship had turned almost 180° to investigate.

An all ship announcement was made shortly after allaying any concern. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ChrisMV said:

Does @tjunmin happen to remember from that 6am cabin announcement by the captain?  I am pretty sure I heard water pump fire, but memories are only so good that early in the morning.

Unfortunately I do not remember the details of the announcement. I was already up when I heard the first announcement, which was broadcasted to the PA system outside the cabins. I thought to myself "hum... whatever the muffled announcement is, it is probably not good news", which was followed by the announcements in the cabins. Thankfully it was quickly addressed by the crew. At no moment I felt any panic, as it was handled and communicated in a timely fashion.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 4/7/2024 at 3:26 PM, exlondoner said:

At least, since the refit, people seemed to have stopped moaning about rust, though they now seem to have turned to QV.

Having said that, I just read a review yesterday which said the ship looked tired and complaining about the condition of the balcony.

21 hours ago, sogne said:

so an all ship announcement was correct as majortom10 states.

I would've agreed if the fire alarms were sounded ship wide when it was discovered, they obviously weren't, so according to some posters on this thread, either the ships fire procedure wasn't followed or the captain has got discretion not to sound the alarm across the whole ship, which appears to have been the case in this instance.

Once it was deemed out and safe, there would've been no point in announcing it over the in cabin speaker as most of the ship would have been totally unaware, all it done was wake everyone up, and as has been said gave clickbait to others.

8 hours ago, S1971 said:

I would've agreed if the fire alarms were sounded ship wide when it was discovered, they obviously weren't, so according to some posters on this thread, either the ships fire procedure wasn't followed or the captain has got discretion not to sound the alarm across the whole ship, which appears to have been the case in this instance.

Once it was deemed out and safe, there would've been no point in announcing it over the in cabin speaker as most of the ship would have been totally unaware, all it done was wake everyone up, and as has been said gave clickbait to others.

My experience working for NCL was that when a fire was reported, there were code announcements made (code bravo), sometimes in crew areas only, sometimes in all areas, depending on what time of day it was.  There was no "fire alarm" sounded through passenger areas, and only those passengers who knew what a "code bravo" was would know there was a fire anywhere.  Once the On-Scene Commander (me) reported to the Captain that the fire was of such a nature that he/she felt the passengers needed to be mustered, would the passenger muster alarm be sounded.  In many cases, the fire never got above the "code bravo" level, and 80% of the crew, and all of the passengers had never deviated from activities or daily routines.  I don't know of any cruise line that would automatically announce a fire throughout the passenger areas without it first being investigated for source and size, and being attacked initially by a fire team and then reporting to On Scene Command.  The announcement through the passenger areas in this case, may have been because an odor of smoke was noticed in passenger areas, and the Captain was announcing it to alleviate some passengers' worries.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

My experience working for NCL was that when a fire was reported, there were code announcements made (code bravo), sometimes in crew areas only, sometimes in all areas, depending on what time of day it was.  There was no "fire alarm" sounded through passenger areas, and only those passengers who knew what a "code bravo" was would know there was a fire anywhere.  Once the On-Scene Commander (me) reported to the Captain that the fire was of such a nature that he/she felt the passengers needed to be mustered, would the passenger muster alarm be sounded.  In many cases, the fire never got above the "code bravo" level, and 80% of the crew, and all of the passengers had never deviated from activities or daily routines.  I don't know of any cruise line that would automatically announce a fire throughout the passenger areas without it first being investigated for source and size, and being attacked initially by a fire team and then reporting to On Scene Command.  The announcement through the passenger areas in this case, may have been because an odor of smoke was noticed in passenger areas, and the Captain was announcing it to alleviate some passengers' worries.

Exactly  that happened on our corridor on QV when an overheated fan belt led to burning smell and some small amount of smoke.q

Quickly sorted but ship wide announcement made.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 4/12/2024 at 12:16 AM, chengkp75 said:

the Captain was announcing it to alleviate some passengers' worries.

Absolutely no need at 6am, knowing full well there was no emergency, according to reports it was a small machinery fire in a non public area, extremely unlikely smoke would've got in to public areas so vey unlikely anyone would've been any the wiser.

An announcement could've been done later in the morning, simply to explain to the small majority who may of heard it in the public areas.

Edited by S1971

20 minutes ago, S1971 said:

Absolutely no need at 6am, knowing full well there was no emergency, according to reports it was a small machinery fire in a non public area, extremely unlikely smoke would've got in to public areas so vey unlikely anyone would've been any the wiser.

An announcement could've been done later in the morning, simply to explain to the small majority who may of heard it in the public areas.

I'm one of those pragmatic folk who think if the Bridge deem it appropriate to announce anything, then it's announced and at whatever moment they choose.

After all, they have a little experience in these things!

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Victoria2 said:

I'm one of those pragmatic folk who think if the Bridge deem it appropriate to announce anything, then it's announced and at whatever moment they choose.

After all, they have a little experience in these things!

I do not disagree, but lots on here have claimed it was a non story and clickbait, but obviously not.

If that is true and nothing of any significance, a no need announcement simply fanned the flames and gave some onboard the chance to grab their 15 minutes of fame.

1 minute ago, S1971 said:

I do not disagree, but lots on here have claimed it was a non story and clickbait, but obviously not.

If that is true and nothing of any significance, a no need announcement simply fanned the flames and gave some onboard the chance to grab their 15 minutes of fame.

I'm no maritime expert but I wouldn't have thought anyone needed five mins of fame, never mind 15 as far as safety at seas is concerned.

It happened, it's over and no one got hurt, hopefully. 🙂

27 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

I wouldn't have thought anyone needed five mins of fame, never mind 15

I didn't imply it, others did.

The term "clickbait" was used to imply others were sensationalising the story, it obviously worked.

All over now, well hopefully.

On 4/7/2024 at 4:24 PM, D&N said:

A YouTuber reported an engine room fire on February 12th on QM2, which apparently took about three minutes to resolve, while they were preparing for bingo. Captain Hashmi was in charge at the time, of QM2 rather than the bingo.

Captain Hashmi.   A man no-one would dare to defy and a steadfast presence around the ship.   I recall a very succinct message on embarkation when the late Queen Elizabeth had just passed away - to say that there was a condolence book, there would be no sailaway celebrations or horns, and that it was his ship, and therefore we were in mourning accordingly.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1