QM2 fire

watsonbeau

The article seems to say it was a machinery space fire and extinguished rapidly. The You Tuber was their usual clickbaity self. 

• Like 2

It's the exact same story as noted earlier. Really just sounds like a fire event which sometimes can happen on a ship. It was apparently handled according to procedures.

Melodramatic over reaction by The Sun as usual intertwined with total nonsense. Machinery in engine rooms does overheat occasionally and might catch fire dealt with many with over 30 yrs as a firefighter. Sure it was dealt with rapidly and efficiently with no risk to any personnel onboard.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Considering that the accolades the Sun attributes to QM2 were overtaken nearly two decades ago, the rest of the tripe in the article should be treated accordingly.

Yes, a compressor fire would be a very small incident to even the engineering crew, let alone the entire ship's emergency teams.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I was (and am) onboard.  The captain made an announcement around 6:00am that morning letting everyone know the fire had been put out.  The talk around the ship that day seemed to be nothing more than “that was an unexpected early wake up call,” no one concerned about the fire that was quickly put out.

Edited by ChrisMV
Edited to add I think the captain said the fire was from a water pump, but I honestly cannot recall as the announcement he made was around 6am.
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Exactly what I expected. Both the Sun and a certain YouTuber exaggerated things (one because it's The Sun and the other for clickbait). 

By the way, who is the Captain on this trip?

Just to clarify — the announcement from the captain at 6:00am was the type of announcement where it is broadcast from the speaker on the ceiling inside your cabin (which woke everyone up).  I do not know my technical terminology for that type of communication.  A few minutes before that announcement, however, there was an announcement calling the crew and that announcement was not broadcast into guest cabins, but you could hear it faintly coming from the hallway speakers.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, ChrisMV said:

Andrew Hall

Captain Hall seems to be getting all the "excitement" or rather interesting events on QM2 recently. He took over from Captain Hashmi when we arrived late into NYC in the summer, dealtt with the snapped mooring lines in Italy, and then when we had a fire on the way back to Southampton from a Mediterranean cruise.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, MylesS said:

Captain Hall seems to be getting all the "excitement" or rather interesting events on QM2 recently. He took over from Captain Hashmi when we arrived late into NYC in the summer, dealtt with the snapped mooring lines in Italy, and then when we had a fire on the way back to Southampton from a Mediterranean cruise.

In general, our QM2 has had an eventful past 12 months. 

Edited by NE John

1 hour ago, NE John said:

In general, our QM2 has had an eventful past 12 months. 

Indeed. Let's include the two canceled crossings (April 23 westbound and April 30 eastbound) because of a 'technical issue' at the end of the 2023 world voyage as issues QM2 dealt with during the past 12 months. A Coronation Celebration cruise was added once that issue was resolved. Then there was also the scheduled drydock in Rotterdam during Oct-Nov to add to an already eventful year.

Just now, bluemarble said:

Indeed. Let's include the two canceled crossings (April 23 westbound and April 30 eastbound) because of a 'technical issue' at the end of the 2023 world voyage as issues QM2 dealt with during the past 12 months. A Coronation Celebration cruise was added once that issue was resolved. Then there was also the scheduled drydock in Rotterdam during Oct-Nov to add to an already eventful year.

At least, since the refit, people seemed to have stopped moaning about rust, though they now seem to have turned to QV.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

A YouTuber reported an engine room fire on February 12th on QM2, which apparently took about three minutes to resolve, while they were preparing for bingo. Captain Hashmi was in charge at the time, of QM2 rather than the bingo.

That one does like to dramatise his postings, but he did make it clear that nobody seemed the least concerned about it and praised the Captain and crew for their professionalism and for keeping everyone informed.

I did not know the Sun -but now I do. LOL. What a sensation- people paniced- I dout that anyone above could smell anything.

Good that we have the first hand report to put things in order. Se.. sales ( sensation I mean of course😁) Good that we have a firt hand report. The only thing that I can imagine is that wake up call. We had that once just the night before entering NY- at around 1am or so. Medical evacuation. The first thing Cap. Hasmi told us was that everything with ship was fine. He just wanted to explain why we stopped ( which I did not even notice before) .

• Like 1

On 4/6/2024 at 10:45 PM, JT1101 said:

Exactly what I expected. Both the Sun and a certain YouTuber exaggerated things (one because it's The Sun and the other for clickbait). 

By the way, who is the Captain on this trip?

Clickbait possibly, however for the captain to announce in cabins at 6am there must of been some concern.

25 minutes ago, JT1101 said:

Something like a fire is always announced in cabin. It's part of protocol. 

Mind you, I wish they wouldn’t. I can’t see the point, unless they think we are having too much sleep.

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, JT1101 said:

Something like a fire is always announced in cabin. It's part of protocol. 

I would imagine the captain has some discretion, to wake up the whole ship at 6am for something allegedly minor leads me to believe it was initially a little more concerning

Edited by S1971

10 minutes ago, S1971 said:

I would imagine the captain has some discretion, to wake up the whole ship at 6am for something allegedly minor leads me to believe it was initially a little more concerning

No I doubt it. We were once woken in the middle of the night to be told some alarms had gone off in the engine room and they were checking. And then again, as we were drifting back to sleep, to be told nothing had been found.

• Like 1